• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

El Paso TX Mass Shooting; 19 Dead, 40 Injured at Walmart

Not sure it applies here as I don't know anything about this nut job, but one problem today is that kids don't have down time. It's difficult for a child's brain to be active 24/7. This is why lots of kids struggle in school today. They can't be still because when the leave they are always on a computer, phone or some type of video device. It stimulates the brain functions of children. It's like sensory overload. I don't have any answers as to how to prevent it. Parents need to give their children time away from the screen.

I grew up with violence in movies etc... but I also had a life. I went hunting, fishing, played sports etc. Hell when I was a young kid we spend all day outside during the summer. Only came in for bathroom breaks. Kids today stay on the couch or in their bedrooms.

And you had actual human interactions. These kids will text each other while sitting next to each other. They communicate online where everything is fake. There is tons of research showing too much online leads to depression. Its because most people lie or embellish about their lives, so people subconsciously get depressed because their life doesn’t match up to what they see online.

Obama already tried laying the groundwork by allowing a bad credit report to be classified as mental illness.

That just doesn't sound real to me. Seriously? If so, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Not sure it applies here as I don't know anything about this nut job, but one problem today is that kids don't have down time. It's difficult for a child's brain to be active 24/7. This is why lots of kids struggle in school today. They can't be still because when the leave they are always on a computer, phone or some type of video device. It stimulates the brain functions of children. It's like sensory overload. I don't have any answers as to how to prevent it. Parents need to give their children time away from the screen.

I grew up with violence in movies etc... but I also had a life. I went hunting, fishing, played sports etc. Hell when I was a young kid we spend all day outside during the summer. Only came in for bathroom breaks. Kids today stay on the couch or in their bedrooms.
We had trees. No need to come inside all summer....just to pls the parents

Sent from my SM-G950U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Kids don't have interpersonal skills anymore. There's lot of research showing that kids now have trouble interpreting body language. They also struggle to understand nuanced arguments. They are accustomed to being told things straight out in 140 characters or less.

Even relationships. They use an app to hook up with somebody.

Mix in the ADD meds and other drugs plus schools telling each kid they are special and you have tons of kids who barely understand reality.

Kids don't have interpersonal skills anymore. There's lot of research showing that kids now have trouble interpreting body language. They also struggle to understand nuanced arguments. They are accustomed to being told things straight out in 140 characters or less.

Mix in the ADD meds and other drugs plus schools telling each kid they are special and you have tons of kids who barely understand reality.

And every minor setback is a life altering crisis for these kids. They've never been taught to accept anything less than everything they feel they deserve. Their every whim has been catered to their whole life, no matter how stupid it was. Or they were ignored completely. Either it boils down to ****** parenting.

Last edited:

While I agree with every single point here, where is this research coming from when basically every research University is liberal and would never research things like this (I would think).

That's a potent mix for disaster though, seriously.

Yep it is. But I don’t know how you fix it. I pray to God that I never know anyone that reaches a point in their life where this seems like a good idea. Nothing short of horrible. There just aren’t enough adjectives to describe the horror of this.

Way too many angry people these days.

I do agree and believe that meds/prescription drugs are partly to blame.
Even with violence aside, society has gotten a bit awkward. Common sense, respect, social interaction all seems to be downhill right now.

Life is getting weird

While I agree with every single point here, where is this research coming from when basically every research University is liberal and would never research things like this (I would think).

That's a potent mix for disaster though, seriously.

I think a lot of the research is being done by businesses. They know that millennials have to be the majority of their workforce within the coming years and they are trying to understand how to get work out of them.

Sure there are good ones that are hard working. But a disturbingly large portion are terrible employees with no ambition, no interpersonal skills, poor writing skills beyond textspeak, poor reading comprehension skills and fragile egos.

Millennials do actually read a lot but they have trouble picking up nuance. There's an old writing rule - "Show, don't tell". That means a good writer doesn't write a Paragraph that says Bob is a good guy who loves his kids and is dependable. Instead they write many scenes that illustrate those points to the reader.

You can notice a shift in the writing now in TV and movies. There have always been moral or political messages in music, TV, movies, etc. But they were messages woven into the story. Now you have characters just speaking the message to the camera.

It's all part of the same issue, that the young people who grow up communicating by short, direct, messages are paying a price for that efficiency. They are losing the human aspects.

You can also see this in how people now jumps on anybody who misspeaks. Younger people are used to being able to edit all their communications before sending or even after if it didn't come out right. Older people know that sometimes people say dumb **** because they have spent a lifetime communicating face to face and can think of tons of times they personally said something that came out wrong and it didn't make them a monster.

Here's an article from Forbes on problems with face to face communication

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ajagra...to-face-communication-heres-why/#586b1d8c26e8

We need a good shootin war for our surplus of young raging males to throw themselves into the frontlines, draft a million or two of them as cannon fodder and throw them into Iran.

Its natures way

I was talking to some of our Elementary school teachers last year and they are noticing some scary stuff with the little kids. They said for the first time in their careers they have a huge number of kids in their classes the past couple years do not know how to accept praise. In fact they seem either totally indifferent to it or outright disturbed by it when praise is given. I speculate that's it's because they've never been given it at home and do not know what the appropriate response to it is.

A lot of stuff in these kid's lives are ******* up their emotional development from lousy parenting to being on social media / cell phones way too young. Hell when I was at the middle school 2 years ago, there were plenty of 5th graders sending each other nude pictures and getting in trouble for it. They are growing up way too early because of this stuff and they don't have anyone at home willing to restrict or monitor any of it.

Last edited:
not to bring politics into this but it is kinda sick to switch from fox news to cnn and back to hear the 2 clear agendas on both channels. what ever happened to just reporting news

not to bring politics into this but it is kinda sick to switch from fox news to cnn and back to hear the 2 clear agendas on both channels. what ever happened to just reporting news

Ratings and greed is what happened.

I read his manifesto. I wish I could post it here, but when I save it, the text is too small to read.
It's basically a big rant against immigration, and that Hispanics are his target. He describes his choice of weapon, ak wasr 10. Fully expects to die by police, doesn't want to survive, won't surrender. This is nothing to do with Trump, hates dems and Republicans.
Definitely a well educated guy.

******* idiot.

https://media.8ch.net/file_store/7e...cedfb854dbdd7c3559b1c5afa0e15d63402d39934.pdf

Quite reasoned but his ends don't justify the means. Sad day in America.

https://media.8ch.net/file_store/7e...cedfb854dbdd7c3559b1c5afa0e15d63402d39934.pdf

Quite reasoned but his ends don't justify the means. Sad day in America.

The MSM is going to portray this as a racist, white nationalist act of gun violence, when in fact, this kid is making a political statement. There is a reason he traveled 600 miles to El Paso, and a Walmart.........a better chance of finding illegals.

Our politicians better start thinking about this open borders, sanctuary city, give them free healthcare, rhetoric they are espousing, and better start thinking about their own citizenry, or this stuff is going to continue. And it isn't just in the US. Look at Europe, it is getting to a boiling point.

I am certainly not condoning violence, and this kid should be charged with his crimes.

And yep, it's about to get ugly.

JFC! Nan Whaley the mayor of Dayton is having a press conference and she keeps making jokes. God she is a worthless POS. She is far far left as well.

JFC! Nan Whaley the mayor of Dayton is having a press conference and she keeps making jokes. God she is a worthless POS. She is far far left as well.

Unbelievable!! Been watching myself.

I used to work in the building they keep showing on the news and still head to Oregon District pretty often. Was sitting across the street from were it happened the day before. :o
Scary to think about.

Unbelievable!! Been watching myself.

I used to work in the building they keep showing on the news and still head to Oregon District pretty often. Was sitting across the street from were it happened the day before. :o
Scary to think about.

Great now they say the shooter is from Bellbrook OH where I graduated HS.