• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

El Paso TX Mass Shooting; 19 Dead, 40 Injured at Walmart

Great now they say the shooter is from Bellbrook OH where I graduated HS.

Yeah, saw that. I'm hoping I don't recognize any names when they come out.
First the tornados a few months ago and now this...bad times in Dayton.

First of all, prayers from my family are going out to the cities of El Paso and Dayton, may God help those affected find peace.

Does anyone have a link to the Mayor's comments being represented here? I've been looking for the full press conference but have been unsuccessful thus far.

First of all, prayers from my family are going out to the cities of El Paso and Dayton, may God help those affected find peace.

Does anyone have a link to the Mayor's comments being represented here? I've been looking for the full press conference but have been unsuccessful thus far.

No link, it was stupid little things that were really poorly timed. Liking making a comment to someone that "your a real reporter now" then laughing. She was seemed to be relishing her time in the spotlight rather than being somber and serious.

First of all, condolences to the family of the victims, as this is where the focus should be.

But what does the media do? Why all of the Sunday morning shows are displaying the "manifesto" of this sick individual.

Giving him national attention, and inspiring sickos across the country to get their's as well. MSM is complicit in all of this.

My God...this **** is just horrific.

I can see calls to ban all semi- automatic weapons, its only a matter of time

There have been mass shootings at schools and churches. I don't expect any sort of actions to take place.

Watch and wait. A huge public outcry is coming in the days and weeks ahead. People in power are going to start feeling massive pressure here very soon as a result. I'm saying that gun owners better hope there isn't a 3rd one coming, God forbid. People are often copycats.

Last edited:
Watch and wait. A huge public outcry is coming in the days and weeks ahead. People in power are going to start feeling massive pressure here very soon as a result. I'm saying that gun owners better hope there isn't a 3rd one coming, God forbid. People are often copycats.

There's been a huge public outcry every time and nothing has changed. The democrats in power will talk a hard game, the republicans in power will defend the right to own every weapon imaginable, nothing will change.

I posted somewhere else, and after I learned he was in custody ... I asked why? Why not take him out then and there? We can check his Facebook page and computer after the fact.

I was accused of being a bad guy for not wanting him captured and facing a trial. I was told 'welcome to North Korea'.
Because we live and uphold a society that believes you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. If we just assume a guy is guilty, even if he ultimately is, and just off him in the street, then we are no more civilized than NK.

They say that TV has nothing to do with the violence we see these days, I think that's a crock. I grew up with Andy Griffith, Sanford and Son, Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, Emergency! Three's Company, MASH, etc and nowadays it's pretty much either a talent show or a show where a ton of blood is shed or two sides are trying to kill each other. Hollywood isn't going to change though until people start turning off that crap.

First of all, my prayers and condolences to all the families who lost someone and to those that were injured. These actions are deplorable and it really saddens me to know that we've created this issue ourselves.

As stated above, TV has changed so much that the respect for authority and respect of another person's life has truly evaporated. Shows like the Purge - games like Grand Theft Auto - we could go on and on...

#prayersgoingup

Because we live and uphold a society that believes you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. If we just assume a guy is guilty, even if he ultimately is, and just off him in the street, then we are no more civilized than NK.

Dayton police didn't get that memo.

This was a sick person and this was personal, his sister was among those he killed. There is a quote from my old Football coach who was the principal while he was there. Chris is my old teacher coach and boss while I was coaching at Bellbrook. I think he was hamstrung in dealing with this kid. I am shocked he said what he said but he was always rather blunt.

Connor Betts, a 24-year-old from Bellbrook, a suburb of Dayton, has been identified as the gunman who opened fire early Sunday morning in the heart of a Dayton nightlife district and killed nine people, including his 22-year-old sister, Megan. Betts was killed by police shortly after the shooting began.

When authorities in Ohio confirmed the identity of the shooter, some who went to high school with him were not surprised. A former classmate, for example, said she quickly thought of Betts as soon as she heard about the shooting. Why? He was reportedly suspended for causing a lockdown after he wrote a “hit list” on a bathroom wall, reports the Dayton Daily News.

“I know he made the list,” she said. “I’m not sure who the names were on there. … He had a plan to shoot up the school.” When asked about the list, Chris Baker, who until recently was principal of the Bellbrook High School, pretty much confirmed the information even though he refused to get into details. “I would not dispute that information,” he said, “but I don’t want to get involved any more than just making that comment.” Betts had enrolled at Sinclair Community College and studied psychology but was not enrolled this summer.

A background check on Betts revealed only two speeding tickets in 2013 and 2014 and no concealed weapons permits. A LinkedIn profile appearing to belong to Betts, which has since been taken down, listed him as an employee at Chipotle Mexican Grill. In his profile, Betts described himself as “Good under pressure. Fast learner. Eager to overachieve.” Brad Howard, who said he knew Betts for almost 20 years, described him as a “nice kid” who kept to himself. “The Connor Betts that I talked to I always got along with well,” he said.

Law enforcement officials executed a search warrant at what appears to be Betts’ family home in Bellbrook Sunday morning. Bellbrook Police Chief Doug Doherty said the family is being treated “as victims” and “we’re being very careful and cautious with them and respecting their wishes as we move forward.”

Danielle Malagarie
@Danielle247now
Bellbrook police chief gives statement from family of Connor Betts who they identified as the gunman. This family is also dealing with the loss of a daughter who police say was shot and killed by her brother during the Oregon District mass shooting. @dayton247now

Embedded video
3:02 PM - Aug 4, 2019

Mexico vows to take legal action against U.S. after deadly El Paso shooting
Mexico on Sunday threatened to take legal action against the United States for failing to protect its citizens after this weekend's mass shooting in the border city of El Paso.

Of the 20 people gunned down at a Walmart at the Cielo Vista Mall, at least three were Mexican citizens, and Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard promised Mexico City will act.

Ebrard called Saturday's shooting an “act of barbarism.”

“The president has instructed me to ensure that Mexico’s indignation translates into ... efficient, prompt, expeditious and forceful legal actions for Mexico to take a role and demand that conditions are established that protect ... Mexicans in the United States,” Ebrard said in a video posted on Twitter.

Of the 26 injured in the attack, at least nine were Mexican nationals, according to the government.

I guess he's referring to the illegal aliens who were victims? Is this a joke?

Mexico vows to take legal action against U.S. after deadly El Paso shooting

I guess he's referring to the illegal aliens who were victims? Is this a joke?

These Mexican shoppers were very likely all here on a B1/B2 (visitor's) visa, and not undocumented. I should know: On any given weekend or holiday shopping season El Paso is brimming with Mexican shoppers, mostly from the border state of Chihuahua, but from interior states as well (evidenced by the plethora of Mexican license plates on vehicles... some of these vehicles being luxury Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc). This is why local politicos, business leaders, and chamber of commerce types seem to unanimously support policies that cater/serve the Mexican shopper, policies like shorter wait times at international crossings (i.e., ports of entry) and the return of sales tax money via "manifiestos". The hundreds of thousands, if not millions, brought in by Mexican shoppers every shopping season, certainly have a positive impact on the local economy.

Just facts from someone who lives here.

And BTW, that Mexican official Marcelo Retard or whatever can demand all he wants from the U.S. government. He and his ilk should protect his own citizens in his own country first.

Unstable people do crazy ****. Doesn’t matter race, sex, religion..etc. your ****** in the head you can do whatever. A gun, knife, ******* vehicle doesn’t matter. When folks don’t value their own lives, let along humanity **** can fly off.

I have always (as of the last couple years), found my out. Gym, movies or dinner with the fam...where is our out. Doesn’t matter where you are know how the **** to get out. Takes 5 seconds.

There's been a huge public outcry every time and nothing has changed. The democrats in power will talk a hard game, the republicans in power will defend the right to own every weapon imaginable, nothing will change.

You mean the republicans will protect your freedom by honoring their oath to the Constitution.

Unstable people do crazy ****. Doesn’t matter race, sex, religion..etc. your ****** in the head you can do whatever. A gun, knife, ******* vehicle doesn’t matter. When folks don’t value their own lives, let along humanity **** can fly off.

I have always (as of the last couple years), found my out. Gym, movies or dinner with the fam...where is our out. Doesn’t matter where you are know how the **** to get out. Takes 5 seconds.
I agree with IC on this one. Unstable people are just that. Unstable.
I believe the prescription drugs do more harm than good. Especially if they miss a dose.

Living next to someone with manic schizophrenia/bi-polar disorder. This stuff is scary.

Sadly, I think even the outlets to calm down aggression are not enough to satisfy their violent episodes