• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Flu/Covid Experience

Funny thing is was up to two years ago I wouldn't have given this a second thought. I'm not worried but it's like I'm definitely a little more hypochondriacish than I used to be. Probably not alone in that boat.
I told my doctor that very thing. I miss the days when you got a cough you went and got some Robitussin and dealt with it. Now you gotta go get tested for this that and the other. It sucks.

Thanks. So far it's just been similar to a head cold. We went on vacation last week and I'm sure part of it was being around large crowds after my immune system has been pretty much on vacation the past couple years. Something to be said I think for being around crowds to keep your immune system tuned up

When I got sick a few weeks ago we went and finished up our Christmas shopping. That evening, setting in the parking lot of our last stop, I started feeling bad. There is definitely something to be said for being around other people in crowds right now. Also, I still say the worst possible situation is riding in a car with someone. That is how I caught the wuflu in August.

Whatever crap I had is still lingering with some drainage and cough.

• Wow
Reactions: JMM
Not everyone who gets covid loses taste and smell, and from what I've read omicron tends not to cause that. So I wouldn't use that as a marker right now. After we were exposed and my husband tested positive, I had 3 negative covid tests last week before I got a positive (before someone asks, I was testing every day because we had them and my daughter was freaking out because I had symptoms).

I would say take another home test in a day or two.
i could swear I had the Rona back before it was given the name WooFloo. I was on an airplane in early December 2019. The next day and for the following week, I felt like pure ****. Exhausted. Congested, headache, etc. Got around to seeing the doc and he said it was an upper respiratory infection as best he could tell. But that it seemed to be going away, so he didnt prescribe anything for me, other than more rest.

thankfully i got the vaccine shot in April and the second one in May and had my appendix try killing me 6 days after the second shot. PURELY coincidental, I'm certain.

Hell you can't find a home test around here, much less enough to test 2, 3, 4 days in a row.
There were piles of them in our local CVS (suburb of Philly). Posts on our community pages say they are available in lots of places around here. My sister in suburb of NY can't find any. Don't know what is causing the discrepancy. If you need some pm me your address and I can mail to you. But from my experience they are pretty worthless. If you have symptoms I'd assume you have omicron right now. If you don't have symptoms(or even if you have them but it's early in your infection as was the case with me) the test has a high probability of a false negative.

There were piles of them in our local CVS (suburb of Philly). Posts on our community pages say they are available in lots of places around here. My sister in suburb of NY can't find any. Don't know what is causing the discrepancy. If you need some pm me your address and I can mail to you. But from my experience they are pretty worthless. If you have symptoms I'd assume you have omicron right now. If you don't have symptoms(or even if you have them but it's early in your infection as was the case with me) the test has a high probability of a false negative.
Right. My first test this morning was negative. I knew I had it so an hr or so later took another one. That one was positive. Lol. So which one is it?!?

My one housekeeper had basically no taste, fever, chills stuffed nose etc etc. She had 2 negative rapid covid tests and a negative PCR covid test... She ended up missing the 10 days because the PCR tests took so long to come back, but i still say she had covid

So let me get this straight. You have a housekeeper? I'm sorry, I've been under the impression that you are poor. Because, and correct me if I am wrong, but you have to PAY a housekeeper am I right?

So you can pay someone to dust, vac, and clean...but you can't find...

1641231673810.png

Right. My first test this morning was negative. I knew I had it so an hr or so later took another one. That one was positive. Lol. So which one is it?!?
ICS, according to my wife who knows all, 😉 she said that if it came back positive, then you have it. If it comes back negative you have a 15-20% chance of it being a false negative.

My one housekeeper had basically no taste, fever, chills stuffed nose etc etc. She had 2 negative rapid covid tests and a negative PCR covid test... She ended up missing the 10 days because the PCR tests took so long to come back, but i still say she had covid

Somebody in your ambit caught Covid??!? Nooooo ...

But since you were able to avoid paying your housekeeper for ten days, sounds like you saved a bit of coin. Say something around, oh, I don't know, $50??

ICS, according to my wife who knows all, 😉 she said that if it came back positive, then you have it. If it comes back negative you have a 15-20% chance of it being a false negative.
Seems like the chance of a false negative must be higher than that. I got 3 negatives over 3 days with symptoms. I really think they are only accurate when viral load is at its most which makes them fairly useless.

So let me get this straight. You have a housekeeper? I'm sorry, I've been under the impression that you are poor. Because, and correct me if I am wrong, but you have to PAY a housekeeper am I right?

View attachment 7531
^^^

Seems like the chance of a false negative must be higher than that. I got 3 negatives over 3 days with symptoms. I really think they are only accurate when viral load is at its most which makes them fairly useless.

I posted this in the vax thread. It was like a 35% error rate for those symptomatic and a 65% error rate for those asymptomatic.

Lol. Yeah I didn’t need a test. Had the same crazy chills like the first time. I guess you wife and mine are related cause she knows everything too

Reactions: JMM

View attachment 7531

iu

I appreciate that, but I don't think it's necessary. People around here are freaked out. I am expecting the stores to run out of toilet paper here before long.

Pretty much identical symptoms both times, two different diseases.
If you were speaking about, you know, cars and comparing the same chassis, same engine, same tires, etc. most people wouldn't suggest it was a helicopter.

Or a cold/flu, right? Because the symptoms are the same.....Occam's Razor

Or a cold/flu, right? Because the symptoms are the same.....Occam's Razor
Of course it could be cold/flu. Based on the sheer number of people who have this right now I would put my money on omicron.

Of course it could be cold/flu. Based on the sheer number of people who have this right now I would put my money on omicron.
The point is that if Omicron is indistinguishable from cold/flu as commonly experienced by the people for 100 years, then WHY are we restricting individuals, or forcing the people to get a flu shot?

I appreciate that, but I don't think it's necessary. People around here are freaked out. I am expecting the stores to run out of toilet paper here before long.
Yep, I have a number of old friends on FB that live on the east coast, going into hiding again, and of course blaming the evil unvaccinated for all of this.
I don't even respond to them anymore because it won't make any difference.