• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

For the Tomlin NEVER coaches on the sideline crowd

Just different for every poster. Some fans put more emphasis on regular season. Which is fine by me they are entitled to their likes and opinions.

Some are bottom line fans like me. I want the team to be competitive when it matters. As in playoffs. Get there and be competitive when you are there. Been robbed of that far too long for my likes.

If a great job is coming back from a horrific start to still be on the outside looking in come playoffs, I want better than great.
I want to be in the playoffs. I want to win playoff games. I would love number 7.
We didn't make it. Haven't in a long time.
But that gas nothing to do with the original post.

He is a 16 year head coach and been in the league like 20. Yeah I'm sure he knows a lot of stuff. Too bad he couldn't coach Bush to take a ****** gap.
Hard to teach guts, which Bush appears to have zero

“Hey Mike, go win another Super Bowl”

See, I coached him up, now all he has to do is do it…jeez this coaching thing really is ez

Or does he need more coaching?

“All ya have to do is score more points than the other team Mike”

Now he’s adequately coached up and I’m sure next season will be different now that he knows and I reminded him

I want to be in the playoffs. I want to win playoff games. I would love number 7.
We didn't make it. Haven't in a long time.
But that has nothing to do with the original post.
Sort of does. As some fans aren't in the ballpark that he did a good enough job. Or knows X and O's good enough. A lot of different elements to coaching. He always has put his stamp on the team but he isn't a great play caller.

Nothing in his track record suggests he is.
Most agree he needs the right people around him coordinating. But his decision making in that aspect hasn't been good.

All of these Tomlin discussions are intertwined and comes down to ultimately what each fan looks for in a team. Different strengths and weaknesses in each coach.

Every individual topic is linked to each fans bottom line which reflect their opinions on Tomlin in general.

Think about it you, Coolie, Cope,Berm,etc. will always tilt for the most part in one direction.

Sask, etc. In another direction.

Doesn't matter the Tomlin topic it will tilt in the directions that the long standing opinions have.

Doesn't make anyone less smart, or right or wrong. But know all the discussions regarding the head coach is related to what you, I, and Joe blow ultimately put stock in.

I will more often than not float in-between extremes ironic as I am an extreme fan. I like winning so winning seasons will always be nice for me. But for me a great job is getting to the playoffs and being competitive. Competitive doesn't mean winning every game. Competitive is having a feeling your team deserved to be there and a few plays here and there could have won it. Tomlin's teams for a long time hasn't made me feel this way.

soooo does Tomlin ever coach on the sidelines. Clearly yes. cant argue this. feelings have nothing to do with it

Last edited:
does it matter?

it has been said many times that he never coaches on the sideline

here is video proof of him coaching on the sideline
Yes, I believed he never interacted with his players on the sideline, never encouraged them, never corrected them, never offered them a tip. C'mon.

It would seem to me, and I'm just guessing here, that the "coaching them up" part had better be done during the week ... film study, position meetings, install, etc. So that, when game time comes, you maybe only have to give reminders on technique and plan. It would also seem to me that the OC and DC should be the ones with the clipboards since they are the ones calling the plays (I know, "But Tomlin ....").
On a side note, I watched all the games this weekend. Know what I didn't see? Other than the HCs who actively called one side (primarily offense), I didn't see shots of HCs standing in front of whiteboards or walking around with tablets, clipboards, or playsheets "coaching up" their players. This is despite the fact that several games went from apparent blowouts early to nail-biters or losses late. I guess those coaches weren't active enough in coaching up their guys.
The coaching up part is what we studied in film this week and how it plays out in real time. Real coaching up in these two situations would look like this:
Clip one. Remember Minkah when they go bunch weak on third and medium he wants to hold you in cover two. Next time you see that check to Silver 3. Show him cover 2 and bust to it was he comes to the third window. If he forces you will have a ball play or he will eat it.
Clip Two. George. 33 is the guesser. He is creeping up on your comeback. Next time you see one high KP knows you are going to double him and we are gonna torch that fool.
Lets be clear, I don't believe Tomlin doesn't know a **** ton. Or even that he never coaches up guys. But if those clips are what you offering up as proof that is quite comical.

The coaching up part is what we studied in film this week and how it plays out in real time. Real coaching up in these two situations would look like this:
Clip one. Remember Minkah when they go bunch weak on third and medium he wants to hold you in cover two. Next time you see that check to Silver 3. Show him cover 2 and bust to it was he comes to the third window. If he forces you will have a ball play or he will eat it.
Clip Two. George. 33 is the guesser. He is creeping up on your comeback. Next time you see one high KP knows you are going to double him and we are gonna torch that fool.
Lets be clear, I don't believe Tomlin doesn't know a **** ton. Or even that he never coaches up guys. But if those clips are what you offering up as proof that is quite comical.
you changing the argument and thinking you are the expert on what "real' coaching up is, that is comical

I never even thought of you when I posted this thread...

but you, coach jr, have to come in and make it all about you

soooo does Tomlin ever coach on the sidelines. Clearly yes. cant argue this. feelings have nothing to do with it
Again different ways to coach on the sidelines. So the answer would be yes he coaches but perhaps not indepth in certain areas that some fans would prefer.

I didn't offer the clips up. But, then again, I'm also not one of the people who thinks just because a guy isn't in a hoodie looking at a (literal) "cheat sheet", or spitting as he stuffs a picture in a ref's shirt, he isn't coaching. I'm pretty much of the opinion that the real coaching had better be done before they step on the field and that players are responsible for such things as maintaining gap integrity, knowing who they're supposed to block when presented with a certain look, etc. Yeah, coaches may need to give pointers or reminders in game. But, if you gotta coach em up more than that during the game, you've probably already lost.

you changing the argument and thinking you are the expert on what "real' coaching up is, that is comical

I never even thought of you when I posted this thread...

but you, coach jr, have to come in and make it all about you
Do you coach? I've seen real coach up. And not by me. That was not coach up. Clip one is a tip to avoid showing the same thing. Clip two is encouragement. Coach up is what I outlined even at a SR. High School level.

Again different ways to coach on the sidelines. So the answer would be yes he coaches but perhaps not indepth in certain areas that some fans would prefer.
in depth discussions should be the position coaches job. The head coach has too many other things to focus on.

Taking time for a quick pointer that should get the player to think about what they have been coached up on during the week is about all I want the head coach to do in game.

I didn't offer the clips up. But, then again, I'm also not one of the people who thinks just because a guy isn't in a hoodie looking at a (literal) "cheat sheet", or spitting as he stuffs a picture in a ref's shirt, he isn't coaching. I'm pretty much of the opinion that the real coaching had better be done before they step on the field and that players are responsible for such things as maintaining gap integrity, knowing who they're supposed to block when presented with a certain look, etc. Yeah, coaches may need to give pointers or reminders in game. But, if you gotta coach em up more than that during the game, you've probably already lost.
Or didn't coach/teach them good enough prior to that game, or didn't pick the right players for your team/scheme. That can apply to positional and head coaches in general.

Do you coach? I've seen real coach up. And not by me. That was not coach up. Clip one is a tip to avoid showing the same thing. Clip two is encouragement. Coach up is what I outlined even at a SR. High School level.
I've seen real coach up and it is always by the position coach or coordinator, not the head coach

Real coaching is here is the problem and here is how we are going to solve it schematically. Neither of the clips is coach up or proves that Tomlin coaches up. And not to say that he doesn't

its his way of coaching on the sidelines. as others have said, hopefully most coaching is done before game day. then it is just mentioning things as he seems them and then coaches up his players from the sidelines

in depth discussions should be the position coaches job. The head coach has too many other things to focus on.

Taking time for a quick pointer that should get the player to think about what they have been coached up on during the week is about all I want the head coach to do in game.
Of course.

The head coach can also be a play caller or get the right people to play call. That still needs to happen and apparently they are going to trot out Canada yet again.

That is the aspect I have a bigger problem with. Not giving the team the best chance to be better than average to mediocre.

I've seen real coach up and it is always by the position coach or coordinator, not the head coach
The head coach is the bottom line. The assistant better be on the same page as the bottom line before they coach up. None of these guys needs much technical support on the field. They need the solution to the problem as to how they are going to deal with something schematically. What you offered up was not coach up. Sorry.

Of course.

The head coach can also be a play caller or get the right people to play call. That still needs to happen and apparently they are going to trot out Canada yet again.

That is the aspect I have a bigger problem with. Not giving the team the best chance to be better than average to mediocre.
Tomlin's hiring have been subpar. Hanging onto Canada this long is damn near criminal

I do not believe he is a great coach

sadly though he is way above average in today's NFL

Of course.

Then your problem is with ARll, who never met a contract for a coordinator that he was willing to eat; even if the coordinator obviously sucked at his job.

The head coach is the bottom line. The assistant better be on the same page as the bottom line before they coach up. None of these guys needs much technical support on the field. They need the solution to the problem as to how they are going to deal with something schematically. What you offered up was not coach up. Sorry.
the comment to Minkah was coaching and whether you agree or not doesn't matter in the slightest.,...not sorry

Tomlin's hiring have been subpar. Hanging onto Canada this long is damn near criminal

I do not believe he is a great coach

sadly though he is way above average in today's NFL
Which is fair. That trotting the same crap out expecting things to change needs to stop by hook or crook. No way shape or form should Canada be allowed to continue to handcuff the offense. I still also think he is a good coach, just not the right coach to get from point A to B.

Then your problem is with ARll, who never met a contract for a coordinator that he was willing to eat; even if the coordinator obviously sucked at his job.
And Tomlin be because that decision making includes him. He has a say in the matter. We can't pretend he doesn't.

the comment to Minkah was coaching and whether you agree or not doesn't matter in the slightest.,...not sorry
I'm not disagreeing with you that it was coaching. Read my original post. Its just not high level coach up. It isn't. People seem to go to extremes with Tomlin. Like he doesn't know football or he never coaches. That is ridiculous. I think the fact is that he is a pretty damn good leader of men and can hold a group together, but his football chops are somewhat limited. I'd say the clips bear that out.