• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

For the Tomlin NEVER coaches on the sideline crowd

Ahhh insult the sweet sound of surrender.
damn you really are coach

you can only tell someone the same thing so many times

continuing this discussion with you would be pointless

I can only provide facts and intelligent opinions, the fact you choose to twist them to fit your hater narrative negates constructive dialogue

I'm gonna ask you one question then I'm done with this ****. We all know Bill Cowher in Greg Lloyd's face. Talking about rushing the qb. We've all seen that 50 times. And its ****** great. Just like Tomlin's interactions in your clip. But tell me is what Bill says there, is that coach up to you?

I'm gonna ask you one question then I'm done with this ****. We all know Bill Cowher in Greg Lloyd's face. Talking about rushing the qb. We've all seen that 50 times. And its ****** great. Just like Tomlin's interactions in your clip. But tell me is what Bill says there, is that coach up to you?
It was bills version of coaching up.

I personally would say it was motivation to his star player.

If Bill had told Greg to bum rush the qb, that would have been coaching. He was just yelling hysterically.

That has to do with Austin's philosophy as a positional coach for the Dbacks and now the DC. Our D didn't get the top sacks mark this year, but we traded it to be #1 in takaways this season.

In Austin's 4 years with the team, for INTs we have been 19' 2nd, 20' T-1st, 21' T-15th, 22 1st
I've been talking about Austin and his commitment to forcing TOs for 4 years. That was a Tomlin hire, and a marked improvement since we've signed him.

Flores was here because of Tomlin as well. None of the NFL coaches/franchises had the ability to reach out to a coach of Flores's talent during his turbulent time with the NFL. Tomlin is the only coach that does that.

Tomlin also did a great job of managing multiple former head coaches on this roster and never one negative word spoken about him. Ariens, LeBeau, Munch, Haley, Flores, not one peep. That speaks to the ability of a man that holds a job they've had, to lead them effectively to be part of winning franchise. If they thought they could have done better, they would have piped up.
Randy Fichtner-Tomlin's old coaching buddy from college, he was Tomlins first hire after becoming head coach in 2007.
Matt Canada-helped recruit and get Tomlin's son Dino to Maryland.

I'd say Tomlin has a huge say and the final say.

Also Keith Butler after "retiring" came out and said that he would've liked the chance to call the defense, saying Tomlin was calling the defense when he was there.
All true but I do think two things that hurt the team.
1. As mentioned elsewhere, after 16 years I've come to the conclusion that Shades is pathologically averse to change. Everyone he hires is either an internal promotion or if they're outside they're someone he knows. Period. My opinion is if people didn't retire or move on on their own, he would never change anyone on his staff. Exhibit A, our ST's are always near the bottom in most categories yet ST coach Danny Smith has been here for nine years. I can only conclude that Shades would rather have assistant coaches who are bad at their job rather than break in someone new. The coordinators who left either retired or were forced out by someone else (Dan Rooney and Ben). Exhibit B, Matt Canaduh is here because he is Tomlin's buddy. He has zero qualifications to be an NFL QB coach, much less an Offensive Coordinator.
2. Steelers recent history for all of Tomlin's tenure and slightly before is that they simply do not fire assistant coaches who are under contract no matter how bad they suck at their job. That could be partly Shades' doing for the aforementioned reasons but I put most of that on Deuce. I've said before, do I think Deuce would jeopardize playoff wins and the development of a young QB with a lot of potential in order to keep from paying a former OC $1.5 million to sit at home and pay his replacement another $1.5 million? Yes, absolutely he would.

Syd. We need you to score a goal here. K buddy!!!
My favorite line is "Its good to see Tomlin interacting with the players" Wow is that a low bar. He is paid like 8 million a year, but hey for that you even get player interaction. :rolleyes:
My favorite part of this thread is that you're the only guy who can't understand the point of it.

No kidding, it's a low bar. But it's something we haven't seen a lot of. I've been a Tomlin basher for years, Mr. Observant. But I don't have to shlt on the guy for Every. God. Damn. Thing. All. Of. The. Time.

My favorite part of this thread is that you're the only guy who can't understand the point of it.

No kidding, it's a low bar. But it's something we haven't seen a lot of. I've been a Tomlin basher for years, Mr. Observant. But I don't have to shlt on the guy for Every. God. Damn. Thing. All. Of. The. Time.
Here's the part you don't get. I'm not ******** on Tomlin. I'm ******** on Cooolie for thinking that's a good example of quality coaching. What is there to **** on Tomlin about. Did he produce it. 30 seconds later he could have said the most football intelligent thing to Watt. But this is what is put forth..

images

Here's the part you don't get. I'm not ******** on Tomlin. I'm ******** on Cooolie for thinking that's a good example of quality coaching. What is there to **** on Tomlin about. Did he produce it. 30 seconds later he could have said the most football intelligent thing to Watt. But this is what is put forth..
and coolie doesn't give a **** about your opinion

coaching takes many forms, it is not just Xs and Os

Keeping your players loose on the sideline and focused on the game is also coaching

Last edited:
and coolie doesn't give a **** about your opinion

coaching takes many forms, it is not just Xs and Os

Keeping your players loose on the sideline and focused on the game is also coaching
I agree keeping players loose and focused is coaching and important and that is what the clip shows.

It said this:
This is a cool clip. Tomlin coaches Minkah into the interception. (Obviously those are not your words)
Basic transcript of what Tomlin said. Minkah I know you want to get your hands on him all the time, but change your pitch once in a while. Show him zone and give him man. Problem with him saying that as it pertains to him Coaching the interception is that they were in zone when the ball got tipped. I didn't need to look at the whole play because he is sledding down to the ball in flight as it gets tipped. but i did look at the whole play and the Corner on the top of the screen bails into shuffle technique so they are either in Cover 3 or Quarters. His comment to Minkah had zero bearing on the result. His Comment to George about wanting Run After Catch is exactly what I said "T,J get me a sack this series" Again its connected to a play where Pickens gets some YAC yards.

I would like to see a video clip of a HC with a clipboard, just to hear exactly what he's saying.
Andy Reid for example.

The impression I get is that it appears that those without clipboards engage more with their players.

I agree keeping players loose and focused is coaching and important and that is what the clip shows.

It said this:
This is a cool clip. Tomlin coaches Minkah into the interception. (Obviously those are not your words)
Basic transcript of what Tomlin said. Minkah I know you want to get your hands on him all the time, but change your pitch once in a while. Show him zone and give him man. Problem with him saying that as it pertains to him Coaching the interception is that they were in zone when the ball got tipped. I didn't need to look at the whole play because he is sledding down to the ball in flight as it gets tipped. but i did look at the whole play and the Corner on the top of the screen bails into shuffle technique so they are either in Cover 3 or Quarters. His comment to Minkah had zero bearing on the result. His Comment to George about wanting Run After Catch is exactly what I said "T,J get me a sack this series" Again its connected to a play where Pickens gets some YAC yards.
none of that matters.

As I said previously, my whole point in posting this video was to counter the whole "Tomlin never coaches on the sideline" crowd

His comments to Minkah are coaching, whether they led to the interception or not is meaningless.

He coached up a player on the sideline.

This is usually the time that Supe chimes in with his signature Sponge Bob meme...

none of that matters.

As I said previously, my whole point in posting this video was to counter the whole "Tomlin never coaches on the sideline" crowd

His comments to Minkah are coaching, whether they led to the interception or not is meaningless.

He coached up a player on the sideline.
He did speak to a player on the sideline, congrats Mike, that’s why you’re the best

I definitely have a higher bar of “coaching up” than just speaking to a player and reminding them of something they already know, to me “coaching up” would mean offering some unique insight or unknown info

He “coached him laterally”, maybe haha

Could’ve just as well said, “Minkah, I love bacon, let’s grab some BLTs after the game” and had a similar impact

But hey sometimes guys need to be reminded BLTs are good, nice work Mike!

If you thought it important to point out that Tomlin communicates with players on the sideline and doesn't just stand their talking into a headset occasionally.....you may have a lower opinion of him then I do. But if this is what is offered as his coach up..... which to be honest he kind of self aggrandizes in the clip......that is pretty weak.

Last edited:
Tomlin doesn't know what he's talking about. It's not like he has the qualifications to tell a defensive back what to do. He'd have to be a defensive coordinator, or a defensive backs coach to know what he's talking about....

Tomlin doesn't know what he's talking about. It's not like he has the qualifications to tell a defensive back what to do. He'd have to be a defensive coordinator, or a defensive backs coach to know what he's talking about....
yes. 6-15 posters on hear could do much much better than Tomblin

Umm, OK. You've spent the better part of four pages going on and on about how Tomlin isn't really doing anything, and how what was posted isn't an example of quality coaching, and how he's self-aggrandizing. But you're not shltting on the guy.

You're right -- I don't get that part.

Normally all we see from MT on the sidelines is very little communication, and a deer-in-the-headlights look much of the time. I thought it was refreshing to see him actually following Minkah over to the bench to make sure he got his point across about what he wanted in coverage. No, it wasn't directly related to the interception. So ******* what?

Please excuse me for appreciating the sight of something a little different from Mike Tomlin, and viewing it as a positive. *gasp*

While we're on the subject of "coaching them up"...I think this is interesting...

When I've played or coached football, at any level, we discussed and implemented adjustments at half time. I guess the NFL is different. Anyone play college ball and want to chime in on this?