• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

For the Tomlin NEVER coaches on the sideline crowd

I'm not disagreeing with you that it was coaching. Read my original post. Its just not high level coach up. It isn't. People seem to go to extremes with Tomlin. Like he doesn't know football or he never coaches. That is ridiculous. I think the fact is that he is a pretty damn good leader of men and can hold a group together, but his football chops are somewhat limited. I'd say the clips bear that out.
no it doesn't

And my Tomlin narrative hasn't really changed. You give him top coach up assistants and coordinators, you would be cooking with gas. But there is either a Tomlin or organizational disconnect with that.

Who is Tomlin’s counter-balance. If he’s the personal leader, connectable, relatable coach…who’s his tactician, strategists…the Xs and Os guru? I think maybe LeBeau, Arians, and maybe Haley were XO guys, but who is that person now?
Flores. There isn’t anyone else. D led the league in INT’s this year.

And Tomlin be because that decision making includes him. He has a say in the matter. We can't pretend he doesn't.
But he doesn't have final say. And like some folks are always pointing out ... the common denominator since they stopped firing coaches/coordinators and letting them work till the end of their contracts has been: first the increased presence of ARll in the front office and secondly, the passing of the torch of ownership to ARll

But he doesn't have final say. And like some folks are always pointing out ... the common denominator since they stopped firing coaches/coordinators and letting them work till the end of their contracts has been: first the increased presence of ARll in the front office and secondly, the passing of the torch of ownership to ARll
I don't know for sure. But I am willing to bet if he told Rooney it wasn't working out he wanted to go in another direction, they would raise the axe. But that is a guess I am not behind closed doors.

Flores. There isn’t anyone else. D led the league in INT’s this year.
That has to do with Austin's philosophy as a positional coach for the Dbacks and now the DC. Our D didn't get the top sacks mark this year, but we traded it to be #1 in takaways this season.

In Austin's 4 years with the team, for INTs we have been 19' 2nd, 20' T-1st, 21' T-15th, 22 1st
I've been talking about Austin and his commitment to forcing TOs for 4 years. That was a Tomlin hire, and a marked improvement since we've signed him.

Flores was here because of Tomlin as well. None of the NFL coaches/franchises had the ability to reach out to a coach of Flores's talent during his turbulent time with the NFL. Tomlin is the only coach that does that.

Tomlin also did a great job of managing multiple former head coaches on this roster and never one negative word spoken about him. Ariens, LeBeau, Munch, Haley, Flores, not one peep. That speaks to the ability of a man that holds a job they've had, to lead them effectively to be part of winning franchise. If they thought they could have done better, they would have piped up.

That has to do with Austin's philosophy as a positional coach for the Dbacks and now the DC. Our D didn't get the top sacks mark this year, but we traded it to be #1 in takaways this season.

In Austin's 4 years with the team, for INTs we have been 19' 2nd, 20' T-1st, 21' T-15th, 22 1st
I've been talking about Austin and his commitment to forcing TOs for 4 years. That was a Tomlin hire, and a marked improvement since we've signed him.

Flores was here because of Tomlin as well. None of the NFL coaches/franchises had the ability to reach out to a coach of Flores's talent during his turbulent time with the NFL. Tomlin is the only coach that does that.

Tomlin also did a great job of managing multiple former head coaches on this roster and never one negative word spoken about him. Ariens, LeBeau, Munch, Haley, Flores, not one peep. That speaks to the ability of a man that holds a job they've had, to lead them effectively to be part of winning franchise. If they thought they could have done better, they would have piped up.
Haley sure as hell did when he went to Cleveland.

Randy Fichtner-Tomlin's old coaching buddy from college, he was Tomlins first hire after becoming head coach in 2007.
Matt Canada-helped recruit and get Tomlin's son Dino to Maryland.

I'd say Tomlin has a huge say and the final say.

Also Keith Butler after "retiring" came out and said that he would've liked the chance to call the defense, saying Tomlin was calling the defense when he was there.

Randy Fichtner-Tomlin's old coaching buddy from college, he was Tomlins first hire after becoming head coach in 2007.

Also Keith Butler after "retiring" came out and said that he would've liked the chance to call the defense, saying Tomlin was calling the defense when he was there.
Since Dino seems to be having a non NFL college career maybe he can become the Steelers Steve Belichick AKA Wolf boy. But at least Dino PLAYED football.

no it doesn't
Hey Coolie. Nice clip, it's good to see Tomlin interacting with his players on the sideline. It's a little concerning to see him have to follow Minkah all the way over to the bench to finish what he was saying, though. Didn't seem like Fitzpatrick wanted to listen to the message.

I was also wondering about what happened to the other Tomlin thread? The title was something like "This is the most Tomlin season ever." I posted in it the other day, and it seems to have disappeared completely.

Thanks.

Hey Coolie. Nice clip, it's good to see Tomlin interacting with his players on the sideline. It's a little concerning to see him have to follow Minkah all the way over to the bench to finish what he was saying, though. Didn't seem like Fitzpatrick wanted to listen to the message.

I was also wondering about what happened to the other Tomlin thread? The title was something like "This is the most Tomlin season ever." I posted in it the other day, and it seems to have disappeared completely.

Thanks.
I saw that thread here earlier

maybe it got caught up in all the spam removal was deleted in error

Flores was here because nobody else wanted him or was going to touch him after his lawsuit.

Agree...

Also, IMO, it doesn't much matter what we think, good or bad about Tomlin or Canada. Art II will motor on status quo. Whatever. The AFCN has a bigger problem for the foreseeable future, and it's name is the Bungles. As bad as they sucked, they don't anymore and that's a fact I can't stomach. So Tomlin can go and give as many words of wisdom to Minkah as he wants for all I care. He's Pro Bowl caliber - and Tomlin doing that is like telling T.J. or Cam they need to sack the quarterback.

Agree...

Also, IMO, it doesn't much matter what we think, good or bad about Tomlin or Canada. Art II will motor on status quo. Whatever. The AFCN has a bigger problem for the foreseeable future, and it's name is the Bungles. As bad as they sucked, they don't anymore and that's a fact I can't stomach. So Tomlin can go and give as many words of wisdom to Minkah as he wants for all I care. He's Pro Bowl caliber - and Tomlin doing that is like telling T.J. or Cam they need to sack the quarterback.
The Bengals also seem to have a primetime atmosphere just watching it on TV, at least. I'm surprised Chad Johnson hasn't said something about black and white TV set and the color TV set. They've got something now with that quarterback.

Agree...

Syd. We need you to score a goal here. K buddy!!!
My favorite line is "Its good to see Tomlin interacting with the players" Wow is that a low bar. He is paid like 8 million a year, but hey for that you even get player interaction. :rolleyes:

I hate losing Coolie...It's in my DNA. You can keep your non-losing regular seasons. We've had so many good teams over the last, what 13, 14 years and nothing to show for it.
I hate losing also

that is not what this thread is about

This thread is just supposed to show that Tomlin does coach players in game Yes MInkah is an All Pro and deep down knows the stuff Tomlin told him. But it doesn't hurt for a coach to point stuff like that out to even star players. They may be too focused on each play and not think about other tactics and these comments remind them there are other ways to accomplish their responsibilities on the field

Coaching can just be talking to a player and calming him down

I remember a video of Cowher talking to Fast Willie during one of his first games and just asking him if he was breathing out there Reminding him to not get too worked up and just focus on the little things and the game would take care of itself

Many here have said Tomlin never does this type of stuff, the video, and no it can not be the one and only time this happened, shows he does. but now this is not "real" coaching

whatever

hate on brother

I hate losing also

that is not what this thread is about

This thread is just supposed to show that Tomlin does coach players in game Yes MInkah is an All Pro and deep down knows the stuff Tomlin told him. But it doesn't hurt for a coach to point stuff like that out to even star players. They may be too focused on each play and not think about other tactics and these comments remind them there are other ways to accomplish their responsibilities on the field

Coaching can just be talking to a player and calming him down

I remember a video of Cowher talking to Fast Willie during one of his first games and just asking him if he was breathing out there Reminding him to not get too worked up and just focus on the little things and the game would take care of itself

Many here have said Tomlin never does this type of stuff, the video, and no it can not be the one and only time this happened, shows he does. but now this is not "real" coaching

whatever

hate on brother
I don't hate Tomlin and I have never said that. In one of my early posts when I joined this site, I said I'd like to drink a beer with him. I think he's a nice guy. And, I don't know, maybe Canada is a nice guy. I do know this - when former stars of this team say we have problems, we've got problems. You can paint this picture any way you want. Yes, Tomlin did go to Minkah and tell him what to do in the vid to your credit - so yes, he's coaching.

I don't hate Tomlin and I have never said that. In one of my early posts when I joined this site, I said I'd like to drink a beer with him. I think he's a nice guy. And, I don't know, maybe Canada is a nice guy. I do know this - when former stars of this team say we have problems, we've got problems. You can paint this picture any way you want. Yes, Tomlin did go to Minkah and tell him what to do in the vid to your credit - so yes, he's coaching.
sorry the hater comment wasn't toward you.......

They make those videos to portray something. The intensity of the sideline. They do not want a bunch of jargon and hell maybe the teams don't want that **** released. Because it can be used later. So I don't know maybe his real coach up is significantly more impressive. AlI Im saying is that clip offers more then we gotta give more effort guys and less than anything that could really help a player win a matchup.

They make those videos to portray something. The intensity of the sideline. They do not want a bunch of jargon and hell maybe the teams don't want that **** released. Because it can be used later. So I don't know maybe his real coach up is significantly more impressive. AlI Im saying is that clip offers more then we gotta give more effort guys and less than anything that could really help a player win a matchup.
okay coach jr