• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

For the Tomlin NEVER coaches on the sideline crowd

There was a talking point on the radio tonight about the Steelers record with and without TJ Watt and basically that they just ask him to do too much. This goes back to Tomlin is great winning with superstars. He knows how to maximize their value. The problem is when they are out, "next man up" doesn't work as well because the scheme isn't there. Yes, it's good enough to play around .500 football, but not enough to do anything more. The Steelers need to get more out of their middle class players like they used to. Guys like Von Oelhoffen, Keisel, Townsend, Foote, Foster, etc. weren't elite players but they stepped up their game and were key pieces on very good teams. We don't have much of that anymore.
That is off-season decision making. Not making the right decisions. Not putting stock in making those trenches a strength. Let us see if anything changes with a new sheriff's in town.

When do we get to see some of that? I think the substandard standard is just missing the playoffs or 1 and done. Hell even with the one and done they are embarrassing more often than not.
Sorry. You're reading it wrong. I guess I could have written it better.

playoff wins and Super Bowls don’t matter.

We always make fun of the “standard” in many different ways.

I’d like to ask, just what is the standard? I know that is a tailored question to each individual.

My STANDARD is very long definitions but I’ll give short version

My standard is standing up for what is right. (Lot of things in NFL that isn’t this)

My standard was set in the late 60’s, entire 70’s football of the PITTSBURGH STEELERS.

My standard is to tell the truth, not hide behind anything.

My standard is to expect 10+ win seasons.

My standard is to win double more play off games than you lose.

My Standard is 4 in 6 years.

My standard is being the winningest team since the merger.

My standard is Defense, always has been and always will be.

My standard and can keep going on and on but also I think i’ve made my point.

WHAT IS THE STANDARD ?

Salute the nation

I think here in lies the divide between the Tomlin supporter and those who have seen enough. 4,5,6 win seasons. How about another 8 or 9 next year? Because next year is another watershed moment. If they are satisfied with 9 wins they will be re-upping him for another 3. And they seem to have no willingness to fire people mid contract. I think a lot of you are drinking the Kool-Aid the Deuce is mixing here. Which is if the team has as many wins as losses they are contending. No they are not. They had that faux contending year with the 11 wins only to get embarrassed by the Browns. Besides that you would have to go back to the Jacksonville debacle to a date I would say I thought they could legit challenge for a Super Bowl.
I think many of you are satisfied with just enough happy Sundays that take the edge off everyday life. You really live in the fear of becoming the Browns or the Lions. Some of us have seen this movie enough and want more.
You're coming after this with a fan's perspective, not an organizational perspective. Developing QBs is important in this league. Everyone said Tomlin can't do it. He started it with one season and our rookie got us to a winning record, and now people are pissed that MT is still here?

This team is not as dire as some would like to make it out to be. MT has the ingredients now with a young team that he's building, and the Rooneys are going to see what he can do, because they aren't a knee-jerk organization like the failures you listed.

You're coming after this with a fan's perspective, not an organizational perspective. Developing QBs is important in this league. Everyone said Tomlin can't do it. He started it with one season and our rookie got us to a winning record, and now people are pissed that MT is still here?

This team is not as dire as some would like to make it out to be. MT has the ingredients now with a young team that he's building, and the Rooneys are going to see what he can do, because they aren't a knee-jerk organization like the failures you listed.
I think you're misinterpreting the bolded statement as an isolated one-year issue. The Steelers haven't won a playoff game in six years.

We always make fun of the “standard” in many different ways.

I’d like to ask, just what is the standard? I know that is a tailored question to each individual.

My STANDARD is very long definitions but I’ll give short version

My standard is standing up for what is right. (Lot of things in NFL that isn’t this)

My standard was set in the late 60’s, entire 70’s football of the PITTSBURGH STEELERS.

My standard is to tell the truth, not hide behind anything.

My standard is to expect 10+ win seasons.

My standard is to win double more play off games than you lose.

My Standard is 4 in 6 years.

My standard is being the winningest team since the merger.

My standard is Defense, always has been and always will be.

My standard and can keep going on and on but also I think i’ve made my point.

WHAT IS THE STANDARD ?

Salute the nation
To me the new standard is win enough to keep the talking heads saying you are relevant and critical mass of the fan base will fall in line.

I think here in lies the divide between the Tomlin supporter and those who have seen enough. 4,5,6 win seasons. How about another 8 or 9 next year? Because next year is another watershed moment. If they are satisfied with 9 wins they will be re-upping him for another 3. And they seem to have no willingness to fire people mid contract. I think a lot of you are drinking the Kool-Aid the Deuce is mixing here. Which is if the team has as many wins as losses they are contending. No they are not. They had that faux contending year with the 11 wins only to get embarrassed by the Browns. Besides that you would have to go back to the Jacksonville debacle to a date I would say I thought they could legit challenge for a Super Bowl.
I think many of you are satisfied with just enough happy Sundays that take the edge off everyday life. You really live in the fear of becoming the Browns or the Lions. Some of us have seen this movie enough and want more.
If you’re using football to take the edge off of life then there is bigger issues than a bunch of millionaires playing ball in life.

Hearing stories about people dropping from cardiac arrest etc in the P & R side, I’d hate to read up on one you guys croaking over a game.

Not trying to sound like a reactionary parent. But just take care of yourself. We all like when our team wins, but every time I read about a someone losing their cool, throwing a remote at the tv, having high blood pressure cause of a game. Just remember all this is out of our control. Contradictory speaking cheer on, because of the Steelers we’re here as a big ole’ dysfunctional family.

Cheers my canadian brother

If you’re using football to take the edge off of life then there is bigger issues than a bunch of millionaires playing ball in life.

Hearing stories about people dropping from cardiac arrest etc in the P & R side, I’d hate to read up on one you guys croaking over a game.

Not trying to sound like a reactionary parent. But just take care of yourself. We all like when our team wins, but every time I read about a someone losing their cool, throwing a remote at the tv, having high blood pressure cause of a game. Just remember all this is out of our control. Contradictory speaking cheer on, because of the Steelers we’re here as a big ole’ dysfunctional family.

Cheers my canadian brother
Show me one person here with more than a couple thousand posts who's week isn't a little brighter after a win. Let's be honest.

Quite standardlyish indeed
I think you can't label without their substandard playoff results and missing them entirety. I stamp them the standard substandard until they prove different.

I think you can't label without their substandard playoff results and missing them entirety. I stamp them the standard substandard until they prove different.
Standardlyish standard?

I'm not sure if you are serious or being sarcastic here, but you have over 23000 posts over roughly 7 years which works out to more than 3000 per year or close to 10 per day. If you are actually saying that the Steelers winning and losing has no effect on you , I think you are kinda delusional. But I'm a poor reader of emojis.

I'm not sure if you are serious or being sarcastic here, but you have over 23000 posts over roughly 7 years which works out to more than 3000 per year or close to 10 per day. If you are actually saying that the Steelers winning and losing has no effect on you , I think you are kinda delusional. But I'm a poor reader of emojis.
There’s more on this board than just Steelers stuff. So yeah them winning or losing has no effect on me. If they effected me, it brought me over to a board where I made friends.

Yes I chat football. But I also frequent various other topics since I’ve been here. So tell me again how a team affects your life personally? Unless you work for them and are under pressure to perform. From a fan perspective there really isn’t anything you can do except to enjoy the game.

I neither beat my wife, break objects or have health issues. But yeah there is a little more pep in the step, and as I've always said the longer the Steelers are in the Shorter the incredibly long Saskatchewan winter feels. I cannot speak for you or anyone else, but I would say my depiction is accurate for most. And again 23000 posts. People need diversions from realities of life. Not to ignore them but take mind off. I think this and the Steelers hold more importance to you then you realize.