• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

For the Tomlin NEVER coaches on the sideline crowd

again that is not what this thread is about

it was posted to show how the haters were wrong about one specific point many of them love to ***** about

I don't think you will find any post where I have said Tomlin is a great coach

but as I've said before...sadly he is still above average in today's NFL
There are a lot of bad coaches out there. This isn’t the 70’s when there were 7 future Hall of Famers on the sideline every week. In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

You can argue with a lot of stuff. Try arguing with this: Teams with a longer playoff winless drought:
They are Denver, Carolina, Arizona, the New York Jets, Washington, Chicago, Vegas, Miami and Detroit.
Put that in perspective

It is about winning championships in this league not respect. I will give him this he did something this year to turn into a 9-8 team with the start we had.

Well the self aggrandizing is a shot. Because he kinda is. You are the one saying he doesn't communicate and he has deer in the headlights. I'm saying the video adds little to no evidence of his coaching players up. HOWEVER, that does not mean that he doesn't coach players up. Its just that is a very low level attempt.
Normally, yes, but not in this case. Which is why I found it refreshing to see. Not all that difficult to understand, is it?

I stated on my show, that Tomlin has a 4 year window that started this year by drafting Pickett. I expect playoffs next year and SB push the 3rd/4th year. If he starts losing instead of going deep in the playoffs, I would expect a change.

His future success is linked to KP's rookie contract.
Tomlin has no window. It's not linked to KP, it's not tied to anything. We can all speculate until the cows come home about when and why he should be gone (some of us correctly thought so five years ago) -- but the fact remains that he will continue on as the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers until he decides to stop. There is no way on God's green earth that they will fire him, unless the man commits some sort of major crime. I'm talking like OJ-level stuff.

Tomlin has no window. It's not linked to KP, it's not tied to anything. We can all speculate until the cows come home about when and why he should be gone (some of us correctly thought so five years ago) -- but the fact remains that he will continue on as the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers until he decides to stop. There is no way on God's green earth that they will fire him, unless the man commits some sort of major crime. I'm talking like OJ-level stuff.
Yeah that's a bit of a problem.

My anecdotal evidence from the Natti. Most, not all Bengal's fan have a begrudging respect for Tomlin and find it inconceivable we have so many Tomlin haters. It is not universal as some in the Natti just hate anything and everything Steelers. I find many of the opinion the fact we can have had so much success yet still ***** and whine about our Coach is part of the reason those mouth breathers hate us so much. They find us to be arrogant spoiled children. They are not entirely wrong.

What has their team ever won ? Nothing.
What have the Steelers won?

It's OK to have high standards and expect it. We know what great looks like, they don't.

They have actually made the superbowl, so that is something unlike the Browns who could **** up a wet dream. They had to leave Cleveland and turn purple to win.

The standard is the standard.

Yup, that’s why I left the one FB group after the season.
Template:
Black fan, out of the blue and for no apparent reason: “Mike Tomlin, never a losing season, greatest coach ever.”
White fan: “I dunno, only 3 playoff wins in 12 years.”
Black fan: “See? White people are racist.”

Yeah I'd leave too. I wouldn't even entertain that stupid ****.

oh hell coach III

everyone knows when he says they all love Tomlin, he is speaking of the ones he has had contact with. he never stated the entire football world outside of Steeler Nation loved Tomlin.

a few here are spewing crap...but stryker is not one of them
Sorry Coachie Man

Ya spew bs don’t get mad is someone calls ya on it

If everyone he has had contact with was of one opinion it would have to be a tragically small sample size like
Or keep lying and I’ll keep calling BS Coachie Man

If it were true, which it clearly isn’t, then that would be an even larger indictment of how average-suck Shades is

My anecdotal evidence from the Natti. Most, not all Bengal's fan have a begrudging respect for Tomlin and find it inconceivable we have so many Tomlin haters. It is not universal as some in the Natti just hate anything and everything Steelers. I find many of the opinion the fact we can have had so much success yet still ***** and whine about our Coach is part of the reason those mouth breathers hate us so much. They find us to be arrogant spoiled children. They are not entirely wrong.
Lotta truth in that post

Have a feeling the mouth breathers are gonna hate us no matter who coaches, they’ve had jealousy issues for awhile of the Steeler’s success so the haters will hate

You can argue with a lot of stuff. Try arguing with this: Teams with a longer playoff winless drought:
They are Denver, Carolina, Arizona, the New York Jets, Washington, Chicago, Vegas, Miami and Detroit.
Put that in perspective

22 teams with a more recent win in the play offs. Bottom third for us, win / loss doesn’t lie.

The sad thing is Coach Tomlin doesn’t seem to want to help himself, it’s like I’m doing just fine as is……..

Salute the nation

Sorry Coachie Man

Ya spew bs don’t get mad is someone calls ya on it

If everyone he has had contact with was of one opinion it would have to be a tragically small sample size like
Or keep lying and I’ll keep calling BS Coachie Man

If it were true, which it clearly isn’t, then that would be an even larger indictment of how average-suck Shades is
one of you is spewing BS and it is not Stryker

and why do you think anyone got mad at you?

no one cares enough about your opinion to give a **** if you disagree

I hear what you're saying, just a few points about drafting a new franchise QB.

Unless you're the Browns, you don't change HCs and/or GM at the start of their careers. A big change can alter their development. Ben at least had 3 years to develop with Cowher before he left and Tomlin took over, but it was Cowher's decision to retire, so I understand what he needed to do for his family.

Now on the other side, if the steelers end up with 4, 5, 6 win seasons over the next 3 years and Kenny is a failure, I do think the Rooneys would look to move on from Tomlin. I know Noll had better records, but he was aging and not relating to the new players. It was time to get on with his life's work, and if we have some bad seasons with KP and a great D already built, it would be time for Tomlin to get on with his life's work as well.

I hear what you're saying, just a few points about drafting a new franchise QB.

Unless you're the Browns, you don't change HCs and/or GM at the start of their careers. A big change can alter their development. Ben at least had 3 years to develop with Cowher before he left and Tomlin took over, but it was Cowher's decision to retire, so I understand what he needed to do for his family.

Now on the other side, if the steelers end up with 4, 5, 6 win seasons over the next 3 years and Kenny is a failure, I do think the Rooneys would look to move on from Tomlin. I know Noll had better records, but he was aging and not relating to the new players. It was time to get on with his life's work, and if we have some bad seasons with KP and a great D already built, it would be time for Tomlin to get on with his life's work as well.
I think here in lies the divide between the Tomlin supporter and those who have seen enough. 4,5,6 win seasons. How about another 8 or 9 next year? Because next year is another watershed moment. If they are satisfied with 9 wins they will be re-upping him for another 3. And they seem to have no willingness to fire people mid contract. I think a lot of you are drinking the Kool-Aid the Deuce is mixing here. Which is if the team has as many wins as losses they are contending. No they are not. They had that faux contending year with the 11 wins only to get embarrassed by the Browns. Besides that you would have to go back to the Jacksonville debacle to a date I would say I thought they could legit challenge for a Super Bowl.
I think many of you are satisfied with just enough happy Sundays that take the edge off everyday life. You really live in the fear of becoming the Browns or the Lions. Some of us have seen this movie enough and want more.

I’d put up with one or two 4,5,6 win seasons if it got us some higher draft picks that we could get back and win some playoff games with. But the new standard seems to be simply an over .500 record and playoff wins and Super Bowls don’t matter.

My fear is that Tomlin’s ego has taken over, he hears the talk that he won his Super Bowl with Cowher’s team and gawdammit he’s going to show people that he can do it on his own and if he has to coach until he’s 90 effing years old then by God that’s what he’ll do. Like Captain Ahab chasing the great white whale.

I’d put up with one or two 4,5,6 win seasons if it got us some higher draft picks that we could get back and win some playoff games with. But the new standard seems to be simply an over .500 record and playoff wins and Super Bowls don’t matter.

My fear is that Tomlin’s ego has taken over, he hears the talk that he won his Super Bowl with Cowher’s team and gawdammit he’s going to show people that he can do it on his own and if he has to coach until he’s 90 effing years old then by God that’s what he’ll do. Like Captain Ahab chasing the great white whale.
Totally agree. And he fits like a glove for the Deuce. Enough wins to keep the register ringing.

Totally agree. And he fits like a glove for the Deuce. Enough wins to keep the register ringing.
It’ll take a while to run through the 20 year waiting list for season tickets. Even if you see empty seats, they’re paid for, so WTF?

I also firmly believe that The Deuce and to some extent Tomlin believe the masses are stupid and he knows better until it basically becomes impossibly clear and it is never done at a time where he would appear to be giving into the fans mounting pressure. But neither of you or I believe this team is winning another title with Tomlin. so at some point its going to be well that was about 10-12 wasted years.

There was a talking point on the radio tonight about the Steelers record with and without TJ Watt and basically that they just ask him to do too much. This goes back to Tomlin is great winning with superstars. He knows how to maximize their value. The problem is when they are out, "next man up" doesn't work as well because the scheme isn't there. Yes, it's good enough to play around .500 football, but not enough to do anything more. The Steelers need to get more out of their middle class players like they used to. Guys like Von Oelhoffen, Keisel, Townsend, Foote, Foster, etc. weren't elite players but they stepped up their game and were key pieces on very good teams. We don't have much of that anymore.

When do we get to see some of that? I think the substandard standard is just missing the playoffs or 1 and done. Hell even with the one and done they are embarrassing more often than not.