• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Free agency news thread

I think Pierre did well with his opportunities. But seriously I am not sure ultimately how that translates to playing time or more importantly a starting role. As part time players, back up players sometimes do well in that role but falter when taking on a larger body of work. I won't dismiss him as a possibility to say have a bigger assignment in the defense. I definitely wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket and how quickly Peterson was signed the Steelers obviously feel the same way. Right now I give him what he has shown. A good relief pitcher until he proves more than that for them.
Right but thats all he needs to be right now… he would be the fourth option outside.. if we don’t bring him back then it’s because we want another slot corner but we have so many safeties that can play there i don’t think it is a problem

So why doesn't free agency just start today?
They wanted to give teams a chance to tamper without penalty, I guess they figured if they gave enough of a window teams wouldn't break the rules. I am all for it starting today if they ever decided to shorten the process.

I suspect the purpose of a "tampering" period is to enable players to have discussions with multiple teams to compare offers, without being placed in the position of the first team they receive an offer from delivering a "sign now or the offer gets withdrawn" ultimatum.

I'm pretty sure before the tampering period was introduced there were a few occasions where teams tried to stop players exploring the market by making offers that required immediate acceptance.

Some need "Tamponing" and some don't.......................................

Salute the nation

They wanted to give teams a chance to tamper without penalty, I guess they figured if they gave enough of a window teams wouldn't break the rules. I am all for it starting today if they ever decided to shorten the process.
Yep it served two purposes… the first one is exactly what you said, and the second was to eliminate the horrible optics of guys signing contracts the first hour of free agency when it was apparent tampering had to be going on… this was a story that was gaining steam when they passed this. … it really served both the players and the owners well…

Some are now suggesting we draft a corner very early ..
I’d rather not…especially with our track record with drafting d backs.
None of the Steelers CBs are under contract past 2023. If they don’t draft some, they had better sign some or re-sign some of their own.

James Pierre had a very good season last year. Opposing QB's were a measly 12-27 for 98 yards, 1 TD, 1 interception against him last year for a passer rating allowed of just 51.2. He is an excellent CB that does not get the respect he deserves.
I'm not claiming Pierre is trash, it troubles me that with all the time Witherspoon missed, Pierre played about a quarter of snaps on defense with 2 games started. If we take certain stats from sites like PFF in a vacum, Pierre is a top 5 corner in the league against the pass when on the field.

I realize your not stating he is but he's in his prime, has had plenty of time to impress but gets limited playing time with one of his competitors for opportunties sidelined.

I thought for awhile he was in Tomlin's or Austin's dog house but I can't remember specifically what for.

I'm not claiming Pierre is trash, it troubles me that with all the time Witherspoon missed, Pierre played about a quarter of snaps on defense with 2 games started. If we take certain stats from sites like PFF in a vacum, Pierre is a top 5 corner in the league against the pass when on the field.

I realize your not stating he is but he's in his prime, has had plenty of time to impress but gets limited playing time with one of his competitors for opportunties sidelined.

But he was an UDFA so not surprising he was not trusted early on. Starting Witherspoon over him made sense based on what Witherspoon showed in 2021, so no reason to hold that against Pierre. He started, did really well, then had a concussion in the Baltimore game, then returned and played well after that.

You know I'm a guy who likes me some "wailing and gnashing of teeth".
Imagine if they resigned Bush.
That would result in a Dre like thread, filled with unfounded angst, all the while knowing that no matter what the Steelers do or don't do, it won't affect my life, or anyone on here either.

But Witherspoon missed allot of time last season and seems even when he did play it was with a troublesome hamstring and not as well as 2021. I'm just saying that it appears the coaching staff is not comfortable with Pierre as a full-time starter even with Witherspoon out or playing less than 100%.

But he was an UDFA so not surprising he was not trusted early on. Starting Witherspoon over him made sense based on what Witherspoon showed in 2021, so no reason to hold that against Pierre. He started, did really well, then had a concussion in the Baltimore game, then returned and played well after that.

I’d forgotten about the Baltimore concussion, thanks for the reminder.

I’ll be looking forward to the existing CBs’ level of play and who will come out on top, including the new FA as well as the soon to be drafted one as well.

Does Porter Jr. Start right out the gate…………. ?

Salute the nation

I’d forgotten about the Baltimore concussion, thanks for the reminder.

I’ll be looking forward to the existing CBs’ level of play and who will come out on top, including the new FA as well as the soon to be drafted one as well.

Does Porter Jr. Start right out the gate…………. ?

Salute the nation
whomever is drafted at 17 starts.

Signing Kazee first means Edmunds will need to take what they are offering if he wants to stay. They will be less inclined to go up in price for him.

Not sure which position Herbig plays but he could push Green off the team and Dotson to the bench.