• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Free agency news thread

The answer to that question is meaningless at this point. Way too early to know what all will happen. But please panic on.
Oh it is meaningful to the grand scheme. Our wants are just different.

It isn't a panic a panic would be if this is the first time I expected mediocrity.

No this is just a disappointment that the trend continues.

Even then, they still need another starter. Same as last year, they have CB2's and CB3's. Even if they draft the best CB available in Rd. 1, they still need one in free agency. They pretty much have to sign a starter now. Maybe they go upwards of $12 to $14 million and get an improvement over Sutton.
Did Levi Wallace leave??? He's still on the roster IIRC...

The salary cap has been around the entire time. If stadium revenue was a valid excuse then, it certainly is now. Heinz Field is way down the list.
They’ve done a good job of retaining their own since the stadium was built. That’s what I was saying.

Ok what if things aren't equal? What if the top three corners are off the board then what? Confident now the Steelers won't still force that move?
There are 4 CBs I'd consider at 17: Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Banks, and Porter.
3 OTs: Skoronski, Jones, and Johnson
1 WR: Addison
1 S: Branch (he'd fill in nicely for Sutton's role)
3 EDGE: Murphy, Van Ness, Smith

Beyond these 8, someone is either falling from earlier in the draft or I'm looking to move back to pick someone up.

Get on the phone tell Omar to start earning that paycheck.
One thing is for sure Steelers come up short this year I would be less inclined to finger point Tomlin.

Steelers need to stock pile talent not deplete it.

Oh it is meaningful to the grand scheme. Our wants are just different.

It isn't a panic a panic would be if this is the first time I expected mediocrity.

No this is just a disappointment that the trend continues.
But you have no idea if the trend continues, yet. You would have been bitching if they went out and shot their wad all one player as well. I don't want to buy one Super Bowl and then suck for years paying the mortgage. I want to compete every year.

I disagree - the top 3 or 4 are NFL ready.

I know Phillips III is definitely one of them. Write that down...
Oh I think there is some pro ready corners. I do like this draft in that regards.

It is basically this:

Did the Steelers lose out on a better player? That has to be a concern when your need heightens at one position.

I just prefer less question marks going into the draft, not more.

Also it would be nice to actually strengthen the trenches. You have one less option to be able to do that now that Sutton is gone. If they get equal value. That one area that could have pushed the team to be more competitive gets can kicked down the road.

Most fans realize the trenches aren't to the desired championship level.

But you have no idea if the trend continues, yet. You would have been bitching if they went out and shot their wad all one player as well. I don't want to buy one Super Bowl and then suck for years paying the mortgage. I want to compete every year.
I didn't want them blowing their wad just signing a valued player they groomed. Obviously that want is too much. That contract he received wouldn't have equaled blowing their wad right?

I have no idea if the trend continues and you have to idea if it doesn't. But today the team is worse for this trade of players. So for today it is reasonable to lean that the trend is well the trend.

Oh I think there is some pro ready corners. I do like this draft in that regards.

It is basically this:

Did the Steelers lose out on a better player? That has to be a concern when your need heightens at one position.

I just prefer less question marks going into the draft, not more.

Also it would be nice to actually strengthen the trenches. You have one less option to be able to do that now that Sutton is gone. If they get equal value. That one area that could have pushed the team to be more competitive gets can kicked down the road.

Most fans realize the trenches aren't to the desired championship level.
I think Clark Phillips III, if chosen, is a Day 1 starter in the NFL. I'm still breaking down Joey Porter Jr.

I think Clark Phillips III, if chosen, is a Day 1 starter in the NFL. I'm still breaking down Joey Porter Jr.
Now I think they need to come out of this draft with 3 day one starters. They will need to be at their best as now there is greater immediate needs.

Man...right now, after watching 30 minutes of JP Jr. - I'm not sold. Size = yes. Speed = average. I immediately see a 'me first' attitude which could result in a sour apple later in his career.

Love Witherspoon's tackling but he screams 'future problem' as well.

If I was getting paid for scouting - I'd stand by my backing in Phillips III, if we have to take a DB early...