• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Free agency news thread

Why would that mean no issues? You have lesser talent in the room no issues? You failed to put yourself in position to upgrade the room no issues?

I am not giving them passes like they have earned them. They haven't.
No issues Slash, just thought Dean's contract might be prohibitive considering cap space. As it turned out, 56 mill for four years is what Dean signed for. Wish they would have went there, it's not as much as I thought he would get.

No issues Slash, just thought Dean's contract might be prohibitive considering cap space. As it turned out, 56 mill for four years is what Dean signed for. Wish they would have went there, it's not as much as I thought he would get.
I thought it was doable too. Well Rock is still out there Steelers double dip!

But you have no idea if the trend continues, yet. You would have been bitching if they went out and shot their wad all one player as well. I don't want to buy one Super Bowl and then suck for years paying the mortgage. I want to compete every year.
And we're in absolutely no position to buy a Super Bowl right now.

And we're in absolutely no position to buy a Super Bowl right now.
But they can be in a position to make themselves more competitive. I know it is early free agency but the Steelers need to partake..

But they can be in a position to make themselves more competitive. I know it is early free agency but the Steelers need to partake..
It's only the first day of "legal tampering" period. We have no idea what the team that hits the field in September will look like. For the first time in 5 years I believe we're moving in the right direction and building something long term and not just putting together a team hoping to compete by throwing on bandaids. At least wait until after the draft.

Not a bad deal. ILBs are affordable.

Yes, and I wish they did address it in ufa.. but I definitely am getting the vibe that ILB is going to be our pick at 17, despite the position being almost as bad to draft high as RB is…

Look at our current positions
QB,TE, RB, OLB, Are all positions that at best we are looking for low end depth at so they are all out as a 1st round pick target
S might be included in that group if they resign either Kazee or Edmunds..

Then you have tge Dline, where you are looking at an upgrade to Adams and maybe a starter at DE depending on how you think they feel about Leal and Loudermilks development… they were filthy in young DL prospects last year… if they think a few are ready, this goes from a need to a luxury in their mind…

All of us want them to address the Oline, but they can absolutely argue that the young guys we’re making progress and were ok by seasons end…

Moreover OT, where they are weakest, as well as the DL are both incredibly deep in this draft… they may be targeting a later pick already for these positions

Then you look at CB… if they resign pierre it’s possible they feel comfortable with the top four where they are at…

Now look at ILB… at a position that we often carry six, we have two guys on the roster right now… bare also in mind that mike Tomlin loves drafting first round lbs…he has drafted six in his time here3 olbs and 3ilbs… contrast that with bill cowher who drafted absolutely none in the first round… or our entire history where ( outside of Tomlins era) we drafted a grand total of three guys in the first to play lb… one true lb and two DEs we tried to convert…

My guess is without additional movement we target an ILB with 17 and this board riots

Don't fret Slash, they'll resign Piere and Allen.

James Pierre had a very good season last year. Opposing QB's were a measly 12-27 for 98 yards, 1 TD, 1 interception against him last year for a passer rating allowed of just 51.2. He is an excellent CB that does not get the respect he deserves.

Edmunds to Bears. 4 years, $72 million. Bears are winning the offseason so far.

That is because they have a QB still on a rookie contract, plenty of cap space because they have arguably the worst roster in the NFL, and own the #1 overall pick because they were the worst team in the NFL.

Losing real games very often leads to "winning the offseason."

Jeudy is an interesting name...

Agreed but the report indicates Broncos are looking for serious return. I like the guy but not in return for a 2nd round pick.

Yes, and I wish they did address it in ufa.. but I definitely am getting the vibe that ILB is going to be our pick at 17, despite the position being almost as bad to draft high as RB is…

Look at our current positions
QB,TE, RB, OLB, Are all positions that at best we are looking for low end depth at so they are all out as a 1st round pick target
S might be included in that group if they resign either Kazee or Edmunds..

Then you have tge Dline, where you are looking at an upgrade to Adams and maybe a starter at DE depending on how you think they feel about Leal and Loudermilks development… they were filthy in young DL prospects last year… if they think a few are ready, this goes from a need to a luxury in their mind…

All of us want them to address the Oline, but they can absolutely argue that the young guys we’re making progress and were ok by seasons end…

Moreover OT, where they are weakest, as well as the DL are both incredibly deep in this draft… they may be targeting a later pick already for these positions

Then you look at CB… if they resign pierre it’s possible they feel comfortable with the top four where they are at…

Now look at ILB… at a position that we often carry six, we have two guys on the roster right now… bare also in mind that mike Tomlin loves drafting first round lbs…he has drafted six in his time here3 olbs and 3ilbs… contrast that with bill cowher who drafted absolutely none in the first round… or our entire history where ( outside of Tomlins era) we drafted a grand total of three guys in the first to play lb… one true lb and two DEs we tried to convert…

My guess is without additional movement we target an ILB with 17 and this board riots
I'll be disappointed if they waste another high draft pick on an inside linebacker. Just a terrible value for this position. No problem with grabbing any of the top guys in the second round. In fact, the second and the third round is where you should be drafting ILB. It's just not a position that helps teams win titles.

Oh it is meaningful to the grand scheme. Our wants are just different.

It isn't a panic a panic would be if this is the first time I expected mediocrity.

No this is just a disappointment that the trend continues.

This draft is deep in quality CB's. I would like very much for the Steelers to have re-signed Sutton, but the dude is not Jalen Ramsey or Darrelle Revis in their primes. He just isn't. He is a quality #2 CB who can play very effectively at slot CB.

Spend an early pick on CB, save $5 million per season and use that to make the team better.

Did Levi Wallace leave??? He's still on the roster IIRC...

Yep. As is James Pierre, who is for reasons I still cannot fathom thought of as a bad CB after opposing QB's posted the following last season:

12-27, 147 yds, 1 TD, 1 interception [edited]

Good God, if Kenny posted that in a game, I would not be able to visit the football forum for 2-3 years.

Last edited:
This draft is deep in quality CB's. I would like very much for the Steelers to have re-signed Sutton, but the dude is not Jalen Ramsey or Darrelle Revis in their primes. He just isn't. He is a quality #2 CB who can play very effectively at slot CB.

Spend an early pick on CB, save $5 million per season and use that to make the team better.

Yep. As is James Pierre, who is for reasons I still cannot fathom thought of as a bad CB after opposing QB's posted the following last season:

12-27, 147 yds, 1 TD, 1 interception [edited]

Good God, if Kenny posted that in a game, I would not be able to visit the football forum for 2-3 years.

This fanbase hates when the team prioritizes pedigree over performance but then ***** when we don’t have pedigree players at all 53 roster spots 🤣🤣🤣…. Udfas that pan out are a huge boon to a team…

This fanbase hates when the team prioritizes pedigree over performance but then ***** when we don’t have pedigree players at all 53 roster spots 🤣🤣🤣…. Udfas that pan out are a huge boon to a team…
I think Pierre did well with his opportunities. But seriously I am not sure ultimately how that translates to playing time or more importantly a starting role. As part time players, back up players sometimes do well in that role but falter when taking on a larger body of work. I won't dismiss him as a possibility to say have a bigger assignment in the defense. I definitely wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket and how quickly Peterson was signed the Steelers obviously feel the same way. Right now I give him what he has shown. A good relief pitcher until he proves more than that for them.

Yes, Berm, Levi signed a two year contract, you dolt.

Signed,
Omar (not Khan)
giphy.webp