• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gerry Dulac is reporting Pickett to the Eagles

The more I think of it the more I realize how bad of a pick Kenny Pickett was. He might be the absolute worst draft pick in this franchise history. I mean really think about it. If the Steelers started Mitch or Mason in 2022 we are way better off. There’s a lot of quality starters that went after KP in 2022 who aren’t on our roster. We still don’t have a long term option at QB. We could have had the Titan QB room in Levis and Rudolph but passed on Levis as we drafted Pickett the year before. I really feel our only way of coming out smelling like roses is if Fields becomes the guy. Other than that Pickett set this franchise back 5+ years if we end up having to draft another QB.
Biggest question is how in the world they ran to the podium to draft this kid after watching him for 5 years, hand size, historically weak class, etc? Tomlin has final call on all draft choices. Factor in sticking with Canada for 50 games, banishing Rudolph on the depth chart, giving the job to a hack like Trubisky, and you have serious questions about Mike Tomlin's judgment and grasp of QB evaluation. Too much of that is lost in piling on the departed QB.

The truth is that Tomala has been airbrushed more times than Kamala.

Biggest question is how in the world they ran to the podium to draft this kid after watching him for 5 years, hand size, historically weak class, etc? Tomlin has final call on all draft choices. Factor in sticking with Canada for 50 games, banishing Rudolph on the depth chart, giving the job to a hack like Trubisky, and you have serious questions about Mike Tomlin's judgment and grasp of QB evaluation. Too much of that is lost in piling on the departed QB.

Colbert and Tomlin had to be the only two GM/HC in the NFL that had Pickett as a first round pick. No one else had him as a second round pick. I can forgive the humdrum average fan for getting excited. I don’t expect them to understand the nuances of picking draft picks. It’s just over their heads. But a general manager and head coach should not have missed this bad.

The "departing" QB will soon be gathering shopping carts at Wal Mart...doesn't matter what coach or team drafted him. He is what he is.

I heard Tomlin drafted him because Kenny had compromising couch sex photos of him, but this is not politics and religion so I digress......

The more I think of it the more I realize how bad of a pick Kenny Pickett was. He might be the absolute worst draft pick in this franchise history. I mean really think about it. If the Steelers started Mitch or Mason in 2022 we are way better off. There’s a lot of quality starters that went after KP in 2022 who aren’t on our roster. We still don’t have a long term option at QB. We could have had the Titan QB room in Levis and Rudolph but passed on Levis as we drafted Pickett the year before. I really feel our only way of coming out smelling like roses is if Fields becomes the guy. Other than that Pickett set this franchise back 5+ years if we end up having to draft another QB.
You could be right: This easily could be a screw up that sets us back 5 years or more. He is a wreck of a draft pick, and a #1 at that. Even the Huey Richardson in 1991 pick wasn't as costly. And he was pure garbage. But missing on a 1st-round QB is especially harmful.

Colbert and Tomlin had to be the only two GM/HC in the NFL that had Pickett as a first round pick. No one else had him as a second round pick. I can forgive the humdrum average fan for getting excited. I don’t expect them to understand the nuances of picking draft picks. It’s just over their heads. But a general manager and head coach should not have missed this bad.
Don't forget to include the owners who were still smarting from missing on Dan Marino, who were assuredly part of the decision if not all of it.

You make a good point. But we are just TOLD Shades has final decision on draft picks, I'm not so sure that is 100% true in all reality.

You make a good point. But we are just TOLD Shades has final decision on draft picks, I'm not so sure that is 100% true in all reality.
Well, that old Parcells quote about "if they expect you to make the meal, they ought to let you buy the groceries" says that Shades has some issues somewhere in the kitchen or with the shopping cart or both.

Well, that old Parcells quote about "if they expect you to make the meal, they ought to let you buy the groceries" says that Shades has some issues somewhere in the kitchen or with the shopping cart or both.
That quote would lead one to assume the head coach was involved, but is he really? Parcells said it, but that was in response to NOT having enough input into who the team was drafting. He said if the head coach was the cook, he should be in charge of buying the ingredients, NOT that he WAS. The Steelers like leaving everything without accountability, it's how they roll. That way, you don't ever know who was really in charge with what decision. Oh, but the drafting of a Hall of Fame QB? Oops, the Rooneys let the accountability of THAT decision out, it was their call to draft Big Ben, AFTER he was a known HOF gimmee. Then they took public accountability for his choice as a #1 pick, after the fact. The Rooneys are in on every 1st round pick taken, but they don't reveal that, just in case the pick is fail, like in Najee, Bush, Pickett, Claypool, Edwards, Burns, Jarvis Jones, etc. cases. Oh with those picks, it's a big secret on who was responsible.

I understood the reason why, but if they were going to let Kevin Colbert run that last draft, QB should've been off the table--only because it wasn't a strong class--and a new GM should have the choice of QB. It is too important of a position for a GM to get stuck with a guy he doesn't want.

Letting Colbert stick around to draft players on his way out the door was one of the crazier things I've ever seen an NFL team do. I'm not sure if it's ever happened before.

It's not like Colbert had been drafting so well his last seven years or so that there was an obvious benefit to having him do it one last time.

Between spending first round picks on Artie Burns, Terrell Edmunds, Devin Bush and spending seven straight second round picks on receivers, to the detriment of other areas of the team, he had long lost the magic touch he once had.

As great as drafting TJ Watt in 2017 was , it doesn't make up for all the fail the Steelers had in the draft during the final third or so of Colbert time leading the front office.

He's already used his "I'm not suiting up as QB3" card.
No more free cars to ride around town.
No chance of a trade to be a starter somewhere.

Insurance salesman incoming.

Then she divorces him for the pool boy. Dam. Just dam.

He's already used his "I'm not suiting up as QB3" card.
No more free cars to ride around town.
No chance of a trade to be a starter somewhere.

Insurance salesman incoming.

Then she divorces him for the pool boy. Dam. Just dam.
Those damn pool boys huh, is this something to watch out for? Just keep it to a kiddy pool in the backyard don’t upgrade?

Learn chemicals and clean my own pool?

Sh!t.

Speaking of "low TDs #s..." Did you know he set a "new NFL" record for THE lowest % of TD passes for any QB who qualified with enough throws? Set the record for lowest %. That's no easy feat. The record hadn't been flirted with in over 50 years. Good God, that is what Tomlin will bring to an offense. (I'd show the link but it's not allowed.)
How many HCs actually throw TDs??? I have NEVER seen this in a game. Maybe you're watching a different league???

How many HCs actually throw TDs??? I have NEVER seen this in a game. Maybe you're watching a different league???
Lloyd wasn't referring to Tomlin throwing the TD passes, but Tomlin's offense where it has been very offensive the last few years since Ben walked away.