• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Get to know UDFA punter Ian Berryman

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Wanted to take a closer look at this kid to see if he could push Berry in camp.

First thing I noticed, he's got a beer gut like Janikowski? Lol, maybe that's a good thing.

636681994751940692-IanBerryman-WCU.jpg

Moving onto the more relevant issues....

Western Carolina punter Ian Berryman signs UFA deal with Pittsburgh Steelers
https://wlos.com/sports/content/wes...ryman-signs-ufa-deal-with-pittsburgh-steelers

Cullowhee — WLOS - Western Carolina's two-time All-American punter Ian Berryman entered 2019 NFL Draft as the 3rd- rated at his position by many sites; however, only two were taken. That left the Marietta, GA native with a chance to sign an Undrafted Free Agent contract with any of the NFL's 32 teams. Berryman chose the Pittsburgh Steelers, a team that battled issues at punter early last season.

Berryman set the WCU program record for punting average with 43.8 yards per attempt on 206 career kicks. In addition to his two-time All-American status at the FCS level, Berryman was named All-Southern Conference three times during his tenure in Cullowhee.

How has Western Carolina punter Ian Berryman become such a booming success?
https://eu.citizen-times.com/story/...r-ian-berryman-became-all-american/841275002/

CULLOWHEE — The sight of a football team’s punter trotting onto the field is more likely to elicit groans and grumbling than a celebratory cheer.

Seasoned fans, however, know that a perfectly placed blast off the toe of a talented punter can change the complexion of a game.

That’s what Ian Berryman has done for Western Carolina the past three years. And while school children rarely rattle off punters when naming their favorite football players, pro scouts and national publications recognize the value of a skilled drop-kicker – and Berryman is on their radar.

He was named to College Football America 2018 Yearbook’s Football Championship Subdivision Starting Lineup for the second consecutive year, his third preseason All-America honor after HERO Sports and Athlon Sports. As WCU neared its Saturday start of preseason camp, Berryman acknowledged his appreciation for the recognition but said his is not an individual accomplishment.

“It means a lot, being All-Southern Conference and All-American; it’s a dream come true,” Berryman said. “But I wouldn’t be able to accomplish this without my teammates: Our long snapper Charles (McDonough) getting the ball back to me, and everyone blocking for me. So I really think it’s an award for our whole punt team.”

NFL teams 'know his name'

WCU coach Mark Speir said NFL scouts are familiar with Berryman.

“If he lives up to his potential, there’s no question he’ll be in an NFL camp next year,” Speir said. “(Scouts) are all asking about him now. When they were here last season looking at Detrez (Newsome, undrafted free agent signee of the L.A. Chargers) and Keion (Crossen, a seventh-round pick of the New England Patriots), they’re always wanting to know who’s next year. They already knew Ian’s name; I didn’t have to tell them about him.”

A student of the game and his craft, Berryman has been punting since middle school. But the Marietta, Georgia, native said he didn’t dedicate himself to the fourth-down role until midway through his senior year at Fellowship Christian School.

He now studies all aspects of the craft and has been trained by former Clemson punter Dawson Zimmerman – whom Berryman credits with ”developing me from the ground up” – and ex-UNC and Minnesota Vikings’ punter Dan Orner, who helped refine his form.

On the rare occasions when there’s a glitch in his technique, Berryman consults video and sends it to Zimmerman and Orner who analyze his form and offer advice.

“That gives me instant feedback on what’s wrong and what I need to work on the next day,” said Berryman, who also credits his father, Scott Berryman, and kicking coach Brandon Kornblue with helping him become successful. “I try to always have constant feedback throughout the year.”

Key to success: 'one-step drill'

During the season, Berryman said the most effective drill he uses is the one-step drill. He starts with his kicking foot forward, takes one step with his left foot and then unloads on the ball to help with alignment and any issue he might be having.

“I mainly focus on not over-kicking (during the season),” Berryman said. “Usually Tuesday is the day I’ll work the most. I’ll probably hit 40 or 50 balls, not counting one-steps. On Wednesday, I’ll hit five before practice and then whatever they want me to do during punt period. Thursday, I’ll do 35 or 40. … So I really try to focus on not punting too much in season.”

Though he ha’s played in front of huge stadiums at places like UNC and South Carolina, his most memorable experience so far was against Division II Mars Hill.

It was his first college start.

"I remember the Friday before the game when I was named the starter,” he said. “It was a dream come true … I remember it was a night game; and I remember -- I think it was Detrez (Newsome) threw a halfback pass to Spearman (Robinson for a 75-yard touchdown). The next possession after that, I got to go in and punt. The ball was on the 35-yard line … and I couldn’t have hit it any better. It was the most memorable part of my career because it got everything started. It fulfilled a lifelong dream of playing in college.”

His career only went up from there.

A consensus first-team All-Southern Conference selection, he ranked fifth in the Football Championship Subdivision with an average of 44.45 yards per punt in 2017. Twenty-six of his punts were downed inside an opponent’s 20-yard-line, and only six of his punts were touchbacks.

Among his postseason accolades were second-team All-American honors by the Associated Press and Phil Steele.

Speir said that if Berryman continues his upward trajectory, his senior season may not be his last as a punter.

Berryman reminds Speir of the Detroit Lions' Sam Martin, who punted for Appalachian State during Speir’s tenure there as an assistant coach.

“I always said Sam had been the best I’d been around until Ian," Speir said. "Now it’s hard to say when you get to that level who is better. Ian is right there. I feel like he’s an NFL punter.

"That’s such a huge weapon to have on your team because he can change field position no matter where you are. Even if he’s standing out there with his heels in the end zone, he can boom a 60-, 65-yarder. Now you’re sending the defense out on the field without their backs against the wall.

“He’s a great person, a heck or a student, a true student-athlete and a weapon on our football team.”

NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Ian Berryman, P, Western Carolina University
https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2018/09/ian-berryman/

Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?

I am from Marietta, Georgia. Marietta is in the suburbs just north of Atlanta. The thing I like the most about Marietta is how close it is to Atlanta, but it’s still far enough away to get out of the traffic of the big city.

List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?

1. Strength and Conditioning
2. Practice
3. Film Study

It is really difficult to put these in an order of importance. I would say they are all important when wanting to be a successful athlete and football player. For me, i put them in an order that shows good flow and maximizes my time and effort on and off the field. Training with Hammersmith Sports in Atlanta this summer, I realized the value of having a consistent schedule. For example, starting with Strength & Conditioning first allowed me to get my muscles warm and feeling explosive. After Strength & Conditioning, I would head to the field to punt and work my technique. Lastly, I would watch the session that I filmed in its entirety to find what needed to be fixed or changed. I took this routine into fall camp this year and it has really worked out well for me.

What do you worry about, and why?

My biggest worry has always been not doing enough to help the team with field position. This has become an obsession of mine and I feel like this obsession to perfecting my craft to help the team has benefitted myself in my progression as a punter.

Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?

When I failed a class my true freshman fall semester. I overcame this by working hard and focusing on my studies more. Since then, I have been on the Dean’s List (3.5+ GPA) or the Chancellor’s List (3.8+ GPA) every semester since then and have been named an Academic All-American.

What do your teammates say is your best quality?

Always being there for teammates and my optimism
My ability to directional punt effectively

Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?

The best punt returner I have ever faced was Alvin Kamara when we played Tennessee my Redshirt Freshman year. The most dynamic all around athlete I have ever faced was Myles Garrett. They are both incredible athletes and it was awesome being able to play against them.

What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?

I have always wanted to be a Sports Play-by-Play Commentator or a Special Teams Coordinator.

What was the biggest obstacle in your life you had to overcome, and how did you overcome it?

It has to be earning the starting punting job after walking-on at Western Carolina. I overcame this obstacle by working hard, trusting myself, and believing I could do it.

What is your most embarrassing moment?

When I hit the occasional bad punt (that any punter has) because I know I am better than that and I can help the team more than how I just performed.

What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?

My first punt of my career against Mars Hill. It was a 49-yard fair catch in my first career start.

Ian Berryman, P, Western Carolina Scouting Report
http://nfldraftbible.com/ian-berryman-p-western-carolina/

Height: 6-0 | Weight: 200 | Number: #83 | Class: 2019 (rSR) | Hometown: Marietta, GA | High School: Fellowship Christian School | Birthdate: June 1 | Agent: Premier Athlete Advisors

OVERVIEW: A true student of the game, Berryman has been punting since middle school, while training with former Clemson punter Dawson Zimmerman and ex-UNC and Vikings punter Dan Orner on refining his mechanics. Demonstrates excellent leg speed, strength and accuracy. Projects as a day three/priority free agent prospect.

PROS: A weapon due to his propensity to flip the field position, he shows great leg strength with his ability to boom it deep but is also an accurate directional punter with his placement and showcases the skill-set to pin opponents down inside their 20-yard line. There have been numerous occasions when Western Carolina was pinned in the back of their own end zone and Berryman was able to crank it 60-plus yards. Has also served as the holder on field goals and extra points for the Catamounts, in addition to being an academic standout.

CONS: Needs to stay on the balls of his toes a bit more in order to help improve his operation time and adjust to snaps that are off target. Can tighten up his footwork speed a bit with a more compact form, it hasn’t been a major issue during the past four years, as he had only two career punts blocked in 2016 career attempts but could be one area worth improving as he steps up in level of competition.

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING: “If he lives up to his potential, there’s no question he’ll be in an NFL camp next year. When they were here last season looking at Detrez (Newsome, Chargers) and Keion (Crossen, Patriots), they’re always wanting to know who’s next year. They already knew Ian’s name; I didn’t have to tell them about him.” – WCU Head Coach Mark Speir

Last edited:
cooch would have drafted ________ in the 6th round.

:peaceful:

Maybe Jano's kicking power comes from his beer gut. This guy could be on to something.

His center of gravity is a little lower, closer to his foot which is critical for effective kicking. The dude is onto something. Not a bad gig to do your training at the local microbrewery and Carolina has some of the best

Maybe Jano's kicking power comes from his beer gut. This guy could be on to something.

Jeff Reed was a pretty good kicker, and he liked his drink. So maybe we are onto something here.

:rain:

leastways you know what sets the dude off his mental center. Way easier to figure out than all this emotional bs

Sent from my SM-N950W using Steeler Nation mobile app

Berryman is little Pooh and buggs is big Pooh

Not to mention our UDFA D-lineman out of Texas, Chris Nelson, known for his belly rub celebration. ;)

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FHorns247%2Fvideos%2F310244162862390%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>