• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gil Brandt Should Never Have Another Interview After His Despicable Comments on Haskins Death

Plus, what did the kid do that was so awful? Go to a party without a mask? Like probably 99% of the 22-24 year olds in this country did.

It's just HUMAN decentcy to not speak badly of the dead and I hear yaz steel dino.

You can talk about the deceased but in a caring way when speaking to the family or friends or in public for as soon as Gil spoke. NOT negative (if needed) until after the burial but I just make it myself to NOT talk bad at all and move on.

Salute the nation
yes sir---

I just dont understand the point of it...what does it achieve for the person saying such things?...

After all when all is said and done....we all end up in the same situation as Dwayne is today..

Hes the gm who built the 1970’s Cowboys… so that should give you a basic idea
Shame to see it as the guy was a damn good draft evaluator. Just apparently old age kicked in and he is loopy now. Probably time for him to kick around the house and the pond and stay away from the radio,etc.

Plus, what did the kid do that was so awful? Go to a party without a mask? Like probably 99% of the 22-24 year olds in this country did.
Gil blasted him before, during and after the draft for coming out. His wisdom feels he would've be even a Pro Bowl player had he stayed another year. By leaving, he has made poor decisions since and not been successful as a result; ie not staying in school, not wearing masks, listening to music on headphones, and going for a workout jog… (insert Sheldon Cooper saying “the horror”

nobody gets out alive. Someone checking out right this second. And this second, ................................and this one..

Gil Brandt is 90. my dad is 82. They get to this age, they dont give 2 ***** anymore. All their friends are dead.. family,, etc.
4.7 % of americans live to be 90.

I dont hate they guy for insensitive comments. Were they insensitive? Yes. I havent heard yet, anyone challenge the validity of his comments.
Just offended by the insensitivity and poor timing .. Yes , Too soon.

And i think had i said those things,, not thinking about the timing etc.. yes i would come back and apologize too. Just as Brandt has done.

I think there's a lot of instances of this. Bit this particular is not those. He could just have said that it was an unfortunate incident. No other comment is necessary.
A lot more people have said a lot worse in terms of tragic events. This one resonates with you cause it’s affected something and someone (Steelers) in your case.

As I type there is death, suffering, tragic events and bad jokes in response. Like I said pay your respects as you see fit.

Any snarky media comments that is said persons, companies prerogative.

Gil Brandt is 90. my dad is 82. They get to this age, they dont give 2 ***** anymore. All their friends are dead.. family,, etc.
4.7 % of americans live to be 90.

I dont hate they guy for insensitive comments. Were they insensitive? Yes. I havent heard yet, anyone challenge the validity of his comments.
Just offended by the insensitivity and poor timing .. Yes , Too soon.

And i think had i said those things,, not thinking about the timing etc.. yes i would come back and apologize too. Just as Brandt has done.
This I’ll have to agree with you for once lol.

People from that generation were not a coddled generation. They say **** unfiltered.

Adam Schefter is also getting flamed for being the first to report it on Twitter and starting off his tweet with something like "after struggling in Washington and Pittsburgh"

He edited the tweet, but it's too late.

Really dude? Those are the first words you could think of?
The position of editor was created for a reason. Social media has created a platform where reporters post stupid **** that was in serious need of editing.

Right. I’m wondering if Brandt is confusing Haskins minor off field issues with something else.

The position of editor was created for a reason. Social media has created a platform where reporters post stupid **** that was in serious need of editing.
If the shock value of the comments drew in clicks/views then Brandt and said company sirius nfl? Made their money.

Corporate business does not care about loss of life. As long as it draws in an audience and spark discussion.

They may or may not fire Brandt or force him to retire for pr reasons.

Has anyone ever been kicked out of the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
Every single hall of fame should have a hall of shame wing for guys who were great at their jobs, but did something terrible in some way… so put Barry bonds in the hall of fame like he deserves, but also elect him to the hall of shame to signify you dont agree with his later actions

You could have OJ and RayRay and Jim Brown all there in the football one….. the problem becomes what happens when the HOF is less full than the HOS… because a lot of those hof guys were also flawed individuals…

Yeah what Schefter said was stupid and insensitive but not malicious IMO, and nothing compared to what this pile of garbage said. Schefter will hear it, whether it's from the social media mob or his colleagues, but Brandt should've already been fired like you said.

Unbelievable he would go on like that when a young man just lost his life.
You are right if course, but it's not only insensitive it's plain not factual. Haskins struggled in Washington, but he just got to the Steelers and had not really had a chance to do anything.

So it's insensitive and part of it is just whole cloth fabricated lies. In other words Schefter needs to get out of sports media and get a prime time show on Fox "News"...he would be golden there.

A lot more people have said a lot worse in terms of tragic events. This one resonates with you cause it’s affected something and someone (Steelers) in your case.

That doesn't make this any less repugnant. Are you really running with the "well it's done all the time" theme when it comes to this? It's called human decency. As to your second sentence - so?

As I type there is death, suffering, tragic events and bad jokes in response.

Yes there are. As I'm sure many here have, been to places around the world where people are needlessly suffering and dying, and it's disgusting. Yeah it's a cruel world. Again, doesn't change the fact that this was gross. What's happening in the world and what's been happening for millennia doesn't have a damn thing to do with right and wrong here. Because the world is cruel, we just stay silent, give this azzhole a pass and simply pay our respects? Not really sure what your point is here.

Every single hall of fame should have a hall of shame wing for guys who were great at their jobs, but did something terrible in some way… so put Barry bonds in the hall of fame like he deserves, but also elect him to the hall of shame to signify you dont agree with his later actions

You could have OJ and RayRay and Jim Brown all there in the football one….. the problem becomes what happens when the HOF is less full than the HOS… because a lot of those hof guys were also flawed individuals…
Did I miss something? Jim Brown murdered somebody?

Haskins struggled in Washington, but he just got to the Steelers and had not really had a chance to do anything.

True that. That's why it was insensitive and stupid. I also don't think it was malicious.

That doesn't make this any less repugnant. Are you really running with the "well it's done all the time" theme when it comes to this? It's called human decency. As to your second sentence - so?

Yes there are. As I'm sure many here have, been to places around the world where people are needlessly suffering and dying, and it's disgusting. Yeah it's a cruel world. Again, doesn't change the fact that this was gross. What's happening in the world and what's been happening for millennia doesn't have a damn thing to do with right and wrong here. Because the world is cruel, we just stay silent, give this azzhole a pass and simply pay our respects? Not really sure what your point is here.
It is what it is. That’s my point.
Crying over spilled milk cause it hurt your feelings isn’t solving anything. What has this conversation changed? Oh that’s right nothing

Want a change? Call his employer, make a burner account and demand he be cancelled. Otherwise no use in being in a fuss over something out of your control.

Did I miss something? Jim Brown murdered somebody?

****. I had no idea.
Yeah, Jim Brown was a real piece of work back in the day. Folks say he got "better". I think he just got too old to beat on the very young women he was chasing.

Right. I’m wondering if Brandt is confusing Haskins minor off field issues with something else.

Or someone else. Like another recent QB in the news and his "minor" off field issues... Deshawn Watson.

Old people with dementia do that s h i t.

I wonder what the reaction would have been like if Watson had been killed by a dump truck.

Not the same set of circumstances but whenever I think about this story, it reminds me of an acquaintance of mine from Michigan that was killed by a garbage truck that had had made a left turn in front of him.

The irony in his death was that this guy loved eating all kinds of sausages, daily. His overindulgence caused his family to warn him that someday it was gonna kill him.
Turns out that the driver of the garbage truck last name was Wurster, a German word which translates to "sausage" in English.