• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gil Brandt Should Never Have Another Interview After His Despicable Comments on Haskins Death

Gil Brandt is 90. my dad is 82. They get to this age, they dont give 2 ***** anymore. All their friends are dead.. family,, etc.
4.7 % of americans live to be 90.

I dont hate they guy for insensitive comments. Were they insensitive? Yes. I havent heard yet, anyone challenge the validity of his comments.
Just offended by the insensitivity and poor timing .. Yes , Too soon.

And i think had i said those things,, not thinking about the timing etc.. yes i would come back and apologize too. Just as Brandt has done.
Yeah Bleeder, there is a point in life that we all transition to that " don't give a ****" mode. I am not quite as old a those people you mentioned but my grandchildren have told me often enough that I could be a little less " brutally honest"

1649679332394.jpeg
images
images

4bed2c9ea6a24dd32c7c6af6b2a5ae6c.jpg

Not the same set of circumstances but whenever I think about this story, it reminds me of an acquaintance of mine from Michigan that was killed by a garbage truck that had had made a left turn in front of him.

The irony in his death was that this guy loved eating all kinds of sausages, daily. His overindulgence caused his family to warn him that someday it was gonna kill him.
Turns out that the driver of the garbage truck last name was Wurster, a German word which translates to "sausage" in English.
I have three traffic related incident stories that this has reminded me of

The most painful is in my 20’s I lost a great friend in a tragic bus accident…
The story was pretty traumatic for me still

She was dating this guy who proposed to her and wanted her to move out of state with him. there was a second dude that i was friends with in the picture, and she asked me what I thought she should do… go with the guy she was dating or break it off and stay here .. i told her she should stick with the good guy she was dating for a number of reasons… I don’t know if that mattered to her or not, but she went with him, got married, found out in an extremely ****** up way he was cheating on her…

We were expecting her to move home and get divorced… i got a phone call from her best friend one day out of tge blue… I totally expected it to be the “ she is getting divorced call, but instead it was to tell me she got hit by a bus crossing the street down in atlanta and was brain dead… tears me up to this day…

The second is also a bus story. My old boss and her husband had a couple was extremely close friends visiting from Florida for a week. The dude was a fitness nut who never ate anything that wasn’t healthy…

That dude and his wife were staying at my bosses house rather than a hotel. He went out for a early morning run while his wife decided to sleep in.
My boss passed an accident scene about a mile from her house… she got to work only to get a call later in the day that her friend was run over by a school bus full of kids and was dead…. It was extremely sad. They only found out when his wife went looking for him and eventually the cops put 2+2 together…

The last isnt a death story… its my own traffic story… when i was in my mid 20’s i went to the outer banks with friends… we were driving a durango down… right outside of Washington on that ridiculous like ten or twelve lane highway traffic came to a total stop in our direction due to a massive accident. It was down for hours… finally they sent me to the mcdonalds we could see about a mile down the road the overpass we were on was over.

Im hiking back with like three big bags of food and a cup holder tray full of those stupid giant drinks mcdonalds had back in the 90’s… and just as i get to the hill im going to have to go up to get back on the highway traffic starts moving…. My idiot friends pulled over to the far side of the highway… i had to ******* cross that 70 mph nightmare with arms full of mcdonalds… i had to stop once to let traffic blow past… it was on my list of top 10 scariest things I’ve ever done… also **** those guys , it wasn’t funny then and it still ain’t now 😒

Threw his wife/girlfriend over a hotel balcony. And that's just one incident.

Wow. I heard he had some domestic violence issues but didn't know it went to that extent. That's attempted murder.

Yeah Bleeder, there is a point in life that we all transition to that " don't give a ****" mode. I am not quite as old a those people you mentioned but my grandchildren have told me often enough that I could be a little less " brutally honest"

View attachment 8345
images
images

4bed2c9ea6a24dd32c7c6af6b2a5ae6c.jpg
Lol. Howdy Chip

Wow. I heard he had some domestic violence issues but didn't know it went to that extent. That's attempted murder.
For everyday folks it is. For Jim Brown, things like that were "taken care of". OH, and I was mistaken. He didn't throw his wife off a hotel balcony. He threw a model off the second-floor balcony of his home (allegedly [/sarcasm]).

"Perhaps the most notorious charge came after his football career, in 1968, when police say Brown threw model Eva Bohn-Chin off the second-floor balcony of his Los Angeles home. Charges against Brown were dropped after Bohn-Chin, who was found on the ground below the balcony, insisted she slipped. Brown did pay a small fine for hitting a deputy sheriff investigating the incident."

https://www.cleveland.com/naymik/2014/09/before_ray_rice_there_was_jim.html

Or someone else. Like another recent QB in the news and his "minor" off field issues... Deshawn Watson.

Old people with dementia do that s h i t.

I wonder what the reaction would have been like if Watson had been killed by a dump truck.
It takes someone dying to paying respects. Why is that? Why can’t people just be respectful in general?

I have three traffic related incident stories that this has reminded me of

The most painful is in my 20’s I lost a great friend in a tragic bus accident…
The story was pretty traumatic for me still

She was dating this guy who proposed to her and wanted her to move out of state with him. there was a second dude that i was friends with in the picture, and she asked me what I thought she should do… go with the guy she was dating or break it off and stay here .. i told her she should stick with the good guy she was dating for a number of reasons… I don’t know if that mattered to her or not, but she went with him, got married, found out in an extremely ****** up way he was cheating on her…

We were expecting her to move home and get divorced… i got a phone call from her best friend one day out of tge blue… I totally expected it to be the “ she is getting divorced call, but instead it was to tell me she got hit by a bus crossing the street down in atlanta and was brain dead… tears me up to this day…

The second is also a bus story. My old boss and her husband had a couple was extremely close friends visiting from Florida for a week. The dude was a fitness nut who never ate anything that wasn’t healthy…

That dude and his wife were staying at my bosses house rather than a hotel. He went out for a early morning run while his wife decided to sleep in.
My boss passed an accident scene about a mile from her house… she got to work only to get a call later in the day that her friend was run over by a school bus full of kids and was dead…. It was extremely sad. They only found out when his wife went looking for him and eventually the cops put 2+2 together…

The last isnt a death story… its my own traffic story… when i was in my mid 20’s i went to the outer banks with friends… we were driving a durango down… right outside of Washington on that ridiculous like ten or twelve lane highway traffic came to a total stop in our direction due to a massive accident. It was down for hours… finally they sent me to the mcdonalds we could see about a mile down the road the overpass we were on was over.

Im hiking back with like three big bags of food and a cup holder tray full of those stupid giant drinks mcdonalds had back in the 90’s… and just as i get to the hill im going to have to go up to get back on the highway traffic starts moving…. My idiot friends pulled over to the far side of the highway… i had to ******* cross that 70 mph nightmare with arms full of mcdonalds… i had to stop once to let traffic blow past… it was on my list of top 10 scariest things I’ve ever done… also **** those guys , it wasn’t funny then and it still ain’t now 😒
I had an incident that totally changed my life. A woman I worked with (she ran the company store, so I got to interact with her fairly often) was driving home from work. A guy driving the other way - stoned out of his mind and going over 100 - lost control of the car with him, his friend, and two kids in it. The car went airborne and the front end landed right in this woman's windshield. She probably never saw it coming.

Since then, I have not driven with more than a communion cup full of wine in my system. I also slowed down significantly and started driving less agressively. I wanted to hate this guy, but couldn't when I was doing the same things as him (admittedly to a lesser extent, but where's the cutoff?).

By the way, I lived in DC for a couple of years. That beltway is a monster. I was dating my wife at the time (she lived in Pittsburgh), and she came down to visit. I told her that she needed to be ready to drive 70 mph riding right on the bumper of the car in front of her, or she'd get swamped. She came into my apartment white as a ghost saying she thought I was joking.

By the way, I lived in DC for a couple of years. That beltway is a monster. I was dating my wife at the time (she lived in Pittsburgh), and she came down to visit. I told her that she needed to be ready to drive 70 mph riding right on the bumper of the car in front of her, or she'd get swamped. She came into my apartment white as a ghost saying she thought I was joking.

Was just watching a Bill Burr special where he touched on big city east coast drivers as opposed to big city west coast drivers and he commented how aggressive east coast drivers are. West coast drivers are typically just idiots not paying attention. There are some crazy aggressive ones here & there racing one another etc. Motorcycles are prevalent in California because of the all-around good weather but I just looked at a graph and per capita, CA is pretty far down on the scale for them. They can get pretty crazy, especially the sport bikes.

If you really want a taste of crazy driving, drive in Mexico or some other downtrodden country where they just don't give a damn. My god man, talk about insane driving. It seriously sometimes feels like they just think they're in bumper cars or in a demolition derby. Just looked at Mexico's death rate in auto accidents and they're on par with the U.S. I guess they're all so used to it that they can probably slalom half asleep. Just realized the statistic I looked up was death rate. Half of them probably run into each other and that's it so no stats.

Yeah Bleeder, there is a point in life that we all transition to that " don't give a ****" mode.

Yikes, I'm just over the halfway point (if I'm lucky) and I'm already there I think.

Yeah, Jim Brown was a real piece of work back in the day. Folks say he got "better". I think he just got too old to beat on the very young women he was chasing.

They could out run him............................

Salute the nation

They could out run him............................

Salute the nation
You'll get no visible reaction out of me with that one sir. :cool: Nope, not falling for the Okie Doke.
Remember, last season I simply asked "Where has Tuitt been" and some nimrod went all bonkers on me. :rolleyes:
Imagine if I actually laughed at your joke. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I thought NY driver's were pretty crazy after moving to Long Island way back when. They would run your *** over if you got in the way.

There is a time and place for the unvarnished truth, announcing a 24 year old's death isn't it.
There's also a time and place for condemning bad reporting, and this isn't it. Schefter announced the incident and gave a brief back story of Haskins' career, both good and not so good. It's just a sign of the times that he felt obligated to apologize, because *ssholes on social media are so easily offended by a few simple truthful words.

You are right if course, but it's not only insensitive it's plain not factual. Haskins struggled in Washington, but he just got to the Steelers and had not really had a chance to do anything.

So it's insensitive and part of it is just whole cloth fabricated lies. In other words Schefter needs to get out of sports media and get a prime time show on Fox "News"...he would be golden there.
If you think hanging on a roster as a third-string quarterback just two years removed from being the 15th overall pick isn't struggling, you have even less football acumen than I thought you had. Which is saying something.

If you think hanging on a roster as a third-string quarterback just two years removed from being the 15th overall pick isn't struggling, you have even less football acumen than I thought you had. Which is saying something.

He just went to Pittsburgh last season and was behind a future HoF'er. The rest of the pecking order is pretty inconsequential IMO. Or because Mason knew the offensive playbook better, he was obviously the next in line if Ben went down. Like the guy said, he struggled in Washington but hadn't had a chance to do anything in Pittsburgh yet.

It takes someone dying to paying respects. Why is that? Why can’t people just be respectful in general?
Seriously though to add to this.

When someone dies all of a sudden society sends out empathy and holier than thou condelences. When said person was alive every fault such as say Haskins, Watson etc is talked about

He just went to Pittsburgh last season and was behind a future HoF'er. The rest of the pecking order is pretty inconsequential IMO. Or because Mason knew the offensive playbook better, he was obviously the next in line if Ben went down. Like the guy said, he struggled in Washington but hadn't had a chance to do anything in Pittsburgh yet.
First of all, saying that Haskins "struggled in Washington" was being more than kind. He chose to come to the Steelers because they were one of the few teams willing to give him the opportunity to revive his career. He did have a chance in Pittsburgh; the #2 job was open in preseason, yet he couldn't unseat a very average incumbent for a backup job. Some NFL teams don't even carry 3 quarterbacks on their rosters.

Obviously Haskins didn't impress the Steelers very much, either, given that they re-signed Rudolph, brought in Trubisky, and still are involved in rumors suggesting they'll draft yet another quarterback in round one. Sounds like a struggle to me.

Big dummy was the starter, Mason backing him....because he had a few years in the system and had actually started most of 2019. Yet you think Haskins was just going to come in and take over?

Schefter....is that you?

Big dummy was the starter, Mason backing him....because he had a few years in the system and had actually started most of 2019. Yet you think Haskins was just going to come in and take over?

Schefter....is that you?
Not sure why posters like to flame Ben. He was wise enough to win 2 SBs, turn his life around with marriage and faith.

If anything he should be called big smarty.

If you really want a taste of crazy driving, drive in Mexico or some other downtrodden country where they just don't give a damn. My god man, talk about insane driving. It seriously sometimes feels like they just think they're in bumper cars or in a demolition derby. Just looked at Mexico's death rate in auto accidents and they're on par with the U.S. I guess they're all so used to it that they can probably slalom half asleep. Just realized the statistic I looked up was death rate. Half of them probably run into each other and that's it so no stats.
One of the most thrilling rides I've had was a cab ride in Rome, Italy. The people I was with were terrified but I was just laughing because it wasn't my sheetmetal.
Back to OP, I'm thinking Gil Brandt is going to get disappeared like Jimmy The Greek was, and probably about ten years too late.

For everyday folks it is. For Jim Brown, things like that were "taken care of". OH, and I was mistaken. He didn't throw his wife off a hotel balcony. He threw a model off the second-floor balcony of his home (allegedly [/sarcasm]).

"Perhaps the most notorious charge came after his football career, in 1968, when police say Brown threw model Eva Bohn-Chin off the second-floor balcony of his Los Angeles home. Charges against Brown were dropped after Bohn-Chin, who was found on the ground below the balcony, insisted she slipped. Brown did pay a small fine for hitting a deputy sheriff investigating the incident."

https://www.cleveland.com/naymik/2014/09/before_ray_rice_there_was_jim.html

Yes, t*mmyb&y's wife, with all the Botox and "straight" TB12 (not diluted crap) that she drinks she changed her first name to current and also the spelling of her last so as no one would reconize her from the 60's..

Bohn-Chin --------- Bundchen

Salute the nation

One of the most thrilling rides I've had was a cab ride in Rome, Italy. The people I was with were terrified but I was just laughing because it wasn't my sheetmetal.
Back to OP, I'm thinking Gil Brandt is going to get disappeared like Jimmy The Greek was, and probably about ten years too late.

Oh yeah, cab drivers are crazy. They should join professional racing teams or something with all the experience (and cojones) they have. Those are definitely some 'thrilling' rides.

I check my shorts afterwards just to make sure they're clean.