• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Halftime show…

Meh, I honestly can't remember a good halftime show. I will say with the amount of money involved, one would think they could get a better audio system, at least for the home viewers.

Obviously I'm of the wrong generation, not fitting their demographic, but in my opinion rap sucks. And while I won't be around 40 years from now, I'd bet no one will be playing whatever it was they doing during the halftime yesterday.

Meh, I honestly can't remember a good halftime show.

Prince killed it. I'm not sure when it was but it started pouring down rain and especially during Purple Rain and it was like he just got better. Heard a story that the weather was calling for rain and they were like "you don't have to perform in a monsoon" and he was like "are you kidding, I hope it does". Just a phenomenal musician and showman IMO.

I will say with the amount of money involved, one would think they could get a better audio system, at least for the home viewers.

Yeah, Eminem especially wasn't very loud. They could definitely upgrade the audio system but apparently they spent that money on rapid 'Rona testing for everybody in that stadium and other precautionary measures because it was like it didn't exist for a day. Super-spreader events are no longer a thing, hallelujah.

Obviously I'm of the wrong generation, not fitting their demographic, but in my opinion rap sucks. And while I won't be around 40 years from now, I'd bet no one will be playing whatever it was they doing during the halftime yesterday.

Rap is absolute dogshit. Name the 50 best rock songs of all time and every one has lyrics that are incredible, tell a story. Same with country.

Rap? There are no lyrics, just a four-word chorus repeated ad nauseum. Garbage.

I was listening to No Shoes Radio on Saturday (country). Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places" comes on. What a great song - funny, lyrics that tell a story and make you sing along. Same with Springsteen's "Born to Run," the Stone's "Satisfaction," Zac Brown "Goodbye in Her Eyes," Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues."

We can all sing along to those great songs - we know most of the lyrics, 100% know the chorus. Rap songs? Nobody knows a single lyric because the lyrics are hot garbage.

Rap is absolute dogshit. Name the 50 best rock songs of all time and every one has lyrics that are incredible, tell a story. Same with country.

I was listening to No Shoes Radio on Saturday (country). Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places" comes on. What a great song - funny, lyrics that tell a story and make you sing along. Same with Springsteen's "Born to Run," the Stone's "Satisfaction," Zac Brown "Goodbye in Her Eyes," Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues."

We can all sing along to those great songs - we know most of the lyrics, 100% know the chorus. Rap songs? Nobody knows a single lyric because the lyrics are hot garbage.

I watched that hot mess only because my dog was laying practically on top of me and I didn't wanna get up. Yeah, I agree, a four-word chorus that sucks. Surprised there were no F-bombs and N-words. Maybe there were, I didn't listen that hard.

Not a huge rap fan but there are some raps that tell story. Eminem has some deeper about his life and raising his daughter stuff that isn't your typical crap so do some of the others. I did like RUN DMC and Beastie Boys in the 80's but that is older than the stuff they played yesterday. Most of it is crap but some of it that sounds like it is glorifying the gangsta lifestyle is really not and is bemoaning it but people miss the point. Just like they would if the watched Blazing Saddles today with a woke attitude.

Than there was Luke Skywalker and the 2 Live Crew with some truly raunchy lyrics back in the day. Everybody sing hey we want some .....! Let's hear the NFL play that.

To expand on what SIL said - Kid Cudi, Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, Chance the Rapper etc. and then way back in the day A Tribe Called Quest, LL Cool J, Rakim, Run DMC talked about relevant stuff, as did many others. Like everything else, the whole genre isn't absolute dogshit.

Stay away from Eazy E and Too $hort though. :oops:

So the NFL now wants to promote the NWA.?

so much for social justice and peace and non violence.

So the NFL now wants to promote the NWA.?

so much for social justice and peace and non violence.

If Joe Rogan stated the full name of that group, libbies would be ...

giphy.gif

To expand on what SIL said - Kid Cudi, Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, Chance the Rapper etc. and then way back in the day A Tribe Called Quest, LL Cool J, Rakim, Run DMC talked about relevant stuff, as did many others.

Yeah, sure. Go ahead and give us lyrics to the best song from that entire group. Compare to say Zac Brown:

I could tell that it was over
When her lips met mine
It was an emptiness in her voice
Hesitation when she smiled
She didn't have to say a word
It was just so plain to see
She had found what she'd been looking for
And I knew it wasn't me

I saw goodbye in her eyes
I don't think I can change it
There's no way to disguise
We will never make it

I can give you 100 more just as good from rock and country. Let's compare to some awesome rap lyrics. I randomly searched "best Kendrick Lamar verses" and saw these gems:

Go figure, mothafucka, every verse is a brick, your son dope, n----
Now reap what you sowed, n---- (Please reap what you sowed, n----)
I was born in ’87, my grandaddy a legend
Now the same **** that y’all was smoking is my profession, let’s get it.

I edited solely so I don't get "Roganed." In other words, I cannot quote his ******* lyrics. Awesome. I am humbled at the genius. Amazing how he rhymed "n----" with "n----". Another from him?

Cocaine laced in marijuana
And they wonder why I rarely smoke now
Imagine if your first blunt had you foaming at the mouth
I was straight tweaking the next weekend, we broke even
I made allegiance that made a promise to see you bleeding
You know the reasons but still won’t ever know my life
Kendrick a.k.a. Compton’s human sacrifice.

Again, amazing. Brilliant, magical, mellifluous

Like everything else, the whole genre isn't absolute dogshit.

Ehh, disagree. Rap was made for those who can't sing. You think I want to turn on the radio to a music station and hear some guy talking and reciting absolute garbage? Jesus, if I wanted that, I would have listened to "Air America" during the 7 weeks it was on the air.

To expand on what SIL said - Kid Cudi, Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, Chance the Rapper etc. and then way back in the day A Tribe Called Quest, LL Cool J, Rakim, Run DMC talked about relevant stuff, as did many others. Like everything else, the whole genre isn't absolute dogshit.

Stay away from Eazy E and Too $hort though. :oops:

**** man, don't let Steeltime drag you down into this "the only thing that ever mattered was John Cougar Mellencamp and Fleetwood Mac" bullshit. He old. So old he farts dust.

I started off in high school getting hooked on Morris Day and the Time. Out in the country, farm land. I was a freak for liking it when everyone else listened to country. Beats and the rhythm moved me. Jungle Fever....What Time Is It...The Walk. Damn.

Moved on to Public Enemy. Anyone that ever starts to tell me that rap is all bullshit clearly never listened to PE. Every song, or at least 98%, have a message. Every one. Made me socially aware, loved the beat. Owned every album - on cassette (screw you I'm old) and blasted that **** every time I drove. Still do sometimes. Saw PE in college at my alma mater. I was front row, slapped hands with Flava Flav and touched his clock.

EPMD warmed up. Great show.

People that think Rap music doesn't have a message don't know the genre. I can point to a billion pointless pop songs or country songs that are utterly empty.

Go listen yourself to some Kendrick Lamar. That guy has produced some deep ****. Thought provoking good stuff.

Rap haters are ignorant. I am not calling them stupid. They are ignorant in the literal sense - unfamiliar with the genre, haven't tuned in, judge from a distance. Ignorant of the great stuff that is out there that they haven't decided to taste.

Let 'em hate.

Oh and last night...as much as I detest Eminem now for his anti-Trump stances, as much as I hate Snoop for his cop-killing, Trump-killing stances, as much as I disagree with all of them...my son had to laugh at me as I bounced around when they played the Next Episode, re-living my youth with rap they wish they'd grown up on.

La-da-da-da-dah
It's the ************* D-O-double-G (Snoop Dogg!)
La-da-da-da-dah
You know I'm mobbing with the D-R-E, yeah, yeah, yeah

**** man, don't let Steeltime drag you down into this "the only thing that ever mattered was John Cougar Mellencamp and Fleetwood Mac" bullshit. He old. So old he farts dust.

Jimmy so old he knew Mr. Clean when he had hair. I don't sweat it. And I forgot about Public Enemy or EPMD. That's great you got to see them live and front row!

One more...can't resist.

Gin and Juice. I loved this song like everyone did.

Got out of college, got my very first big time professional job working for AT&T/NCR. Hustling selling technology to the Federal Government here in the DC metro area. Worked there for nearly 4 years. Multi-racial company. Had many co-workers/friends that were black.

One I'll call CP Harriott. Just the coolest cat, salt of the earth black guy. We got tight. He was 10 years older than me though, married. I was single, young, hustling. Got on to rap. He laughed at me being all into it. Mentioned gin and juice and he laughed at me and said I bet you don't even know what the hell that song is about.

I admitted it...I didn't. "Popular drink?" I said. He threw his head back and laughed and said young white boy, let me teach you LOL

He said I grew up back in Boston in the day, see. There's always been this wive's tale in the hood about gin. Keeping you up all night. Get me?

I looked at him naive. He laughed hard again. He said Tim damn LOL..."UP"....gin's an aphrodisiac and everyone knew on Friday or Saturday and you were gonna get with your girl, you had to hit the gin because it KEEPS YOU UP ALL NIGHT get me??? LOL. Then he says but not the good gin, that **** don't work. Seagrams gin is the one. And house gin. And he said man I'm not kidding but back in Boston in the day the city buses used to have ads plastered on them that showed Seagrams Gin with the tag line "Stay Up All Night."

We laughed and laughed. I had no clue. He said see? Gin and juice...it ain't about it being just a drink brother, it's deeper....Gin and Juice is the sex drink.

Love that guy. We are still in touch today.

Halftime show set racial equality back 50 years.
I did like the '63 Chevy ragtop lowriders parked in front.

Reactions: MTC
I enjoy some of all the styles of music. it wasnt a great show but it wasnt bad either. it was typical NFL 30 year old dated music filtered and lip synced from pre recorded sterile safe tapes... Roger probably burned them after the game anyhow.... I mean eminem is like 50 now... all that music is on oldie channels these days... lol

Certainly wasn't a show this 63 yr. old got into.
But my 29 yr. old daughter loved it, LMAO at watching her "bop"...and then LMAO even more when wifey jumped in!

The only rap that got my attention, moved me emotionally, intellectually, was when I discovered Tom MacDonald one day.

It's a no-win situation.
Even an innocent comment like that would be used against you as proof that racism is still a major problem in this country.
I don't begrudge anyone their entertainment but I was thinking that if a racist IS watching this it would reinforce every stereotype they carry.

Anyone that ever starts to tell me that rap is all bullshit clearly never listened to PE. Every song, or at least 98%, have a message. Every one.

Sure. And 98% of the time the message is, "N----, mothafu-----, [insert drug reference here], N-----, mothaf-----, N----"

Oh and last night...as much as I detest Eminem now for his anti-Trump stances, as much as I hate Snoop for his cop-killing, Trump-killing stances, as much as I disagree with all of them

Uhh, yeah, now I fully understand why you think [c]rap is so great.

I don't begrudge anyone their entertainment but I was thinking that if a racist IS watching this it would reinforce every stereotype they carry.
ArKKK be say he dint spy half-time

Steeltime I love Mellencamp, Bon Jovi, Rush, Pink Floyd, The Who and many other 60s - 90s rockers, but there is some artistic merit to a section of Rap. I hate a lot of it trust me but who can’t love RUN DMC with Aerosmith on walk this way, or Paul Revere by the Beastie Boys, those were all part of the 80’s. I also listen to Jimmy Buffet, Toby Keith and Zack Brown. Add in a little classical and folk. Almost every genre has something worth listening to. You didn’t like any of Will Smith’s stuff? Hell I even love some Weird Al Yankovic.