• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Halftime show…

Owned every Ice Cube album back when he was a serious badass just out of NWA.

I'm sure you watched the movie they made on NWA. Didn't realize Ice Cube wrote almost of their lyrics before he left.

LOL! That song made getting busy in a Burger King bathroom a thing.

I like a lot of the older rap - from the 80's, and 90s. The newer stuff isn't too bad either.

I think people get too caught up in specific parts of the lyrics and not the whole song. A lot of the rap groups style and lyrics were based off of lived experiences, and channeling their anger or angst on what they were around growing up, and on a day to day basis. It's not pretty, and it's not meant to be.

I swear some folks sound like Tipper Gore and the PMRC.
NC-NC, why ya buggin?

NC-NC, why ya buggin?

I wish they had a good clip of their video version to this, was creative and kinda funny.

"I never half step 'cause I'm not a half stepper. Drink a lot of soda so they call me Dr. Pepper."

I didn't even watch the halftime show. But I do get a kick out of the ongoing Oppression Olympians bitching about how it was too whit because Eminem.

All you niggas out there
Take your guns that you using to shoot each other
And start shooting these ***** *** ************* police
That'll impress a ************* nigga like me
The crooked *************
'Cause these police getting way too ************* outta line

Wow, now I'm convinced. Those lyrics are awesome. So amazing.

And the singing talent! Does not sound at all like a tone-deaf guy talking and using language the majority of this nation has been banned from using, along with the usual assortment of profanity.

Geniuosity!!

But I do get a kick out of the ongoing Oppression Olympians bitching about how it was too whit because Eminem.

You gotta be ******** me? It was all black with a white guy who's made his fame & fortune rapping, and people are bitching about that?

These people need serious help.

Reactions: MTC
I'm talking about profanity in the lyrics. But Too $hort didn't have much you could dance or even really bob your head to for sure. Sounds like we've both listened to rap/hip-hop, punk, metal and everything else. Actually I've seen you post a lot of metal but no punk (that I remember) so not sure if you went down that one.
Depends what you consider punk. I like the sex pistols, the ramones, pennywise. No greenday though.

I like a lot of new york hardcore. Madball is badass.

Pennywise, wow a name I haven't heard in a while. There were a lot of Southern California punk bands I was mostly into (Circle Jerks, NOFX, Bad Religion, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Guttermouth, Face to Face, The Vandals etc.) but I liked those guys too. Especially liked/like Fugazi. Will have to check Madball out.

Do you consider Social Distortion punk? Don't know if I would. But loved them as well.

Pennywise, wow a name I haven't heard in a while. There were a lot of Southern California punk bands I was mostly into (Circle Jerks, NOFX, Bad Religion, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Guttermouth, Face to Face, The Vandals etc.) but I liked those guys too. Especially liked/like Fugazi. Will have to check Madball out.
I love bad religion. Struck a nerve is in my workout playlist.

Another more recent band from SoCal (2007 I think or 2009?)

Stick to your guns.
We still believe, nobody and amber are good songs by them

Depends what you consider punk. I like the sex pistols, the ramones, pennywise. No greenday though.

The Clash, The Dead Kennedys. Saw both.

Also really like post-punk. Pretenders, and my favorite Siouxsie and the Banshees. Siouxsie Sioux has an absolutely beautiful voice, as does Chrissie Hynde.

Johnny Lydon has a better singing voice than you suspect. His song "Rise" from Public Image Ltd. shows that. Joe Strummer and Johnny Lydon sang with raw emotion, incredible power. First time I heard "Holidays in the Sun" in 1978, glam rock and disco were big. The Pistols were like a hand grenade at a tea party.

Rap fans: "Oh, rap is so powerful." Yeah sure. You bet. As powerful as a baby's fart compared to the Pistols. Rap is a two-chord bass repeated endlessly, stupid lyrics that try to cover up how idiotic the chorus is by using "N----" and "mother-----".

Know why those who listen to rap play it at a volume that makes it like standing next to a jet engine? Because they pray for hearing loss so they don't have to listen to ****** rap any more.

Also really like post-punk. Pretenders, and my favorite Siouxsie and the Banshees. Siouxsie Sioux has an absolutely beautiful voice, as does Chrissie Hynde.

Johnny Lydon has a better singing voice than you suspect. His song "Rise" from Public Image Ltd. shows that. Joe Strummer and Johnny Lydon sang with raw emotion, incredible power. First time I heard "Holidays in the Sun" in 1978, glam rock and disco were big. The Pistols were like a hand grenade at a tea party.

Rap fans: "Oh, rap is so powerful." Yeah sure. You bet. As powerful as a baby's fart compared to the Pistols. Rap is a two-chord bass repeated endlessly, stupid lyrics that try to cover up how idiotic the chorus is by using "N----" and "mother-----".

Know why those who listen to rap play it at a volume that makes it like standing next to a jet engine? Because they pray for hearing loss so they don't have to listen to ****** rap any more.

Get off my lawn!! (shaking fist in the air)

Dead Kennedy’s. Yes

Get off my lawn!! (shaking fist in the air)

Nothing to do with age. Rap is simply not good. Stupid lyrics, half the riffs are stolen two-chord versions of rock songs, repetitive, where those who listen to it do so at ridiculous volume to cover up how ****** the riff and lyrics are. I made a joke about rap lyrics, noting that they consist of "N----," "motha-----," "N----," "motha-----," [insert drug of choice here].

Almost immediately thereafter TSF posts what he claims are good lyrics from Snoop Dog:

All you niggas out there
Take your guns that you using to shoot each other
And start shooting these ***** *** ************* police
That'll impress a ************* nigga like me
The crooked *************
'Cause these police getting way too ************* outta line

Uhhh ...

I’ve said this for years. Marching bands or something else.

Dogs catching frisbees?

I could’ve told you that. I realized this around 2012. One of the biggest wake ups was how many commercials and how many corporate sponsorships the nfl promotes.

Look at an nfl sideline. How many logos besides just the team and uniform provider do you see?

-Gatorade

Waiting for Brawndo to advertise w/the NFL.... 'cause it's got electrolytes.. it's what plants crave.

Jimmy thinks Paul McCartney and Wings is excellent ****. No...for real he does.

Aside from maybe Opera or Classical music, name a genre where there isn't tons of utter stupid *** bullshit. Pop? Good lord...home to Weird Al, Toto, Mili Vanili and Kris Kross. Country? Endless horseshit can be found in that genre. Bill Ray Cyrus anyone? Heavy metal....hard rock, rock. Crap, crap, crap exists.

In every genre you find gems, threads and pockets of great music.

Rap too.

You must be an 80's guy. A lot of crap started to surface in that decade.
Weird Al was a comedian, he doesn't count so much.
In my opinion, the 70's was the richest time in American music. There was good straight ahead rock and roll, hard rock which was the prelude to the heavy metal "hair bands" of the 80's, Motown, Disco
That decade produced many acts that were more than the "one hit wonders" ...The Doobie Brothers, Eagles, BTO, Zeppelin, The Stones, Chicago, Elton John, Billy Joel, Neil Diamond...each producing multiple hits. Although the Stones and Motown began in the 60's they were still strong during 70's.

That kind of talent doesn't exist today.

You must be an 80's guy. A lot of crap started to surface in that decade.
Weird Al was a comedian, he doesn't count so much.
In my opinion, the 70's was the richest time in American music. There was good straight ahead rock and roll, hard rock which was the prelude to the heavy metal "hair bands" of the 80's, Motown, Disco
That decade produced many acts that were more than the "one hit wonders" ...The Doobie Brothers, Eagles, BTO, Zeppelin, The Stones, Chicago, Elton John, Billy Joel, Neil Diamond...each producing multiple hits. Although the Stones and Motown began in the 60's they were still strong during 70's.

That kind of talent doesn't exist today.

You make good points about 70's music, but I am an unabashed 80's fan. The Clash, Tears for Fears, Pretenders, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Springsteen, Talking Heads, The Cure, AC/DC, Simple Minds, Tom Petty, Billy Idol, Blondie, INXS, Pet Shop Boys.

Incredible ... Sirius XM Radio, Channel 33, baby!!

Last edited:

I've seen you mention this a couple times now. How about some Joy Division?

You make good points about 70's music, but I am an unabashed 80's fan.

Or you can be fans of both and the great & unique things they both brought to the table, Jimmy.