• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Has Fields done enough to be #1

Fields seems to be improving each week and they are slowly building an offense around him. In fact, today he was just about the entire offense. I don't know if he's the answer beyond this year, but he's likely earned the starting position for at least the first half of the season unless he absolutely implodes over the next 3-4 games.

DangeRuss is probably just fine holding a clipboard with the state of the line.

He is a high miler already, who's lack of playing time early this season probably doesn't affect his potential value next year.

Russ becomes Rusty Wilson. Doubt if Russ ever sees the field.

DangeRuss is probably just fine holding a clipboard with the state of the line.

He is a high miler already, who's lack of playing time early this season probably doesn't affect his potential value next year.

If I was getting paid almost 40 million dollars, I'd be ok with it too.

Yeah,you guys go ahead and iron that OL thing out,I'm OK here...lol.

It would be interesting to know how many here who think Wilson is washed thought Ben was not his last year when he clearly was.

Wilson is not done, he might play till 40.
Wilson probably would have been crushed today. The line was bad and Wilson on a bum leg is no good. I think Ben could have been better without Canada but Ben was pretty beat up. I do not know what Wilson will do in this offense, but you can't pay musical QBs at this point. We did not lose due to poor QB play

I'm torn... this wont be a popular opinion, but I still dont think Fields is ready...
Nothing I saw today makes me think he isnt just a slightly better version of his Chicago woes... this was his second 300 yard game.. he is 0-2 in them now... it was his 7th game throwing for over 250 yards... he is 2-5 in them..
He still has issues with comically bad fumbles...though they are thankfully happening much less often.. and we recover most of them

( for some reason snaps get fumbled with him in there... it happened in chicago with Mustipher and Patrick... it happened in preseason with Herbig, and its happening here with Frazier... blame all the Centers if you want, but the common denominator is Fields... )

There are other things too.. the bad sacks, the delay of game.. but they all sort of fall into two categories

1. Him trying to do too much... extend plays, force plays... he does it less than he did in chicago, but he still does it in some really bad scenarios that hurt us

2. Him not being confident in the play or read... this is where I think he can get lightyears better once he is better versed in the philosophy and schematics of the plays..

The guy changed systems like 4 times now... its no wonder he is taking extra time with reads and not entirely focused yet...

I think if in practice, Wilson is the better QB, and fields hasnt improved especially in late game 2 minute passing ... then as soon as he is 100% you see what Wilson can do.

But I think even if you ride Wilson into the Playoffs, Fields is the guy you try to resign next year... Fields is still Lamar Jr.. he can be closer to Mahomes style ... and that potential is absolutely worth a longer term shot...

Fields can make all the throws. He isnt a dim bulb... he just needs to get a better grasp of everything so he maintains better focus. I think that is better done without the pressure of prepping as the starter right now..

My fear is now that he has taken a loss, he is going to start forcing things more often...

Now if you want a real interesting subject... which is the worse move, not optioning Harris's or Fields fifth season contract?
Cause preseason, I'd have said Harris.. but now it is clearly Fields

I'm torn... this wont be a popular opinion, but I still dont think Fields is ready...
Nothing I saw today makes me think he isnt just a slightly better version of his Chicago woes... this was his second 300 yard game.. he is 0-2 in them now... it was his 7th game throwing for over 250 yards... he is 2-5 in them..
He still has issues with comically bad fumbles...though they are thankfully happening much less often.. and we recover most of them

( for some reason snaps get fumbled with him in there... it happened in chicago with Mustipher and Patrick... it happened in preseason with Herbig, and its happening here with Frazier... blame all the Centers if you want, but the common denominator is Fields... )

There are other things too.. the bad sacks, the delay of game.. but they all sort of fall into two categories

1. Him trying to do too much... extend plays, force plays... he does it less than he did in chicago, but he still does it in some really bad scenarios that hurt us

2. Him not being confident in the play or read... this is where I think he can get lightyears better once he is better versed in the philosophy and schematics of the plays..

The guy changed systems like 4 times now... its no wonder he is taking extra time with reads and not entirely focused yet...

I think if in practice, Wilson is the better QB, and fields hasnt improved especially in late game 2 minute passing ... then as soon as he is 100% you see what Wilson can do.

But I think even if you ride Wilson into the Playoffs, Fields is the guy you try to resign next year... Fields is still Lamar Jr.. he can be closer to Mahomes style ... and that potential is absolutely worth a longer term shot...

Fields can make all the throws. He isnt a dim bulb... he just needs to get a better grasp of everything so he maintains better focus. I think that is better done without the pressure of prepping as the starter right now..

My fear is now that he has taken a loss, he is going to start forcing things more often...

Now if you want a real interesting subject... which is the worse move, not optioning Harris's or Fields fifth season contract?
Cause preseason, I'd have said Harris.. but now it is clearly Fields
I believe you hit on his short comings to date:

1 But you have mentioned he improved from one location to the next.

2 Also improved is his accuracy. Which has improved yearly.

3 You mentioned his schemes have changed. I expected the O to have a few early hiccups adjusting to them.

I look at his progression which makes me think that he will continue doing just that progressing. I don’t know how it ceiling offs regarding his overall body of work. There has been signs of encouragement so I can’t dismiss possibilities. There has been signs of concern so I can’t dismiss possibilities.

I think that is where we are at. Closer to knowing but not there……yet.

Like Tomlin says of Roman Wilson, he's trying to get on a moving train. I've said before, Wilson will be lucky to even get a hat this year the way Tomlin always does things. Russ is a veteran but he hasn't had a full practice in months and hasn't played a game since well into last year. I think Fields has improved each week and was the reason we had a chance yesterday with our D playing absolutely horribly and our OL not far behind them. He stays the QB1 in my book.

Like Tomlin says of Roman Wilson, he's trying to get on a moving train. I've said before, Wilson will be lucky to even get a hat this year the way Tomlin always does things. Russ is a veteran but he hasn't had a full practice in months and hasn't played a game since well into last year. I think Fields has improved each week and was the reason we had a chance yesterday with our D playing absolutely horribly and our OL not far behind them. He stays the QB1 in my book.
Well that train is sputtering with a Van in the way of the tracks. They need to move that Van out of the way.

on a day when the rushing attack was not there at all

Fields went 22/34 for 312 yards and a TD plus 55 yards rushing and 2 TDs

even with his horrible fumble and a few other miscues he was one of the few bright spots today.

it appears he is getting better each week and is doing better protecting the ball

he still has room to improve, his "run or get rid of the ball" clock needs to get better and the snap issues have to stop (no matter who is truly at fault)

overall he has been better than I expected and led this team to a 3-1 start.....really should be 4-0 if they hadn't beat the hell out of themselves today.

so is he your #1 or is it still Russ?
Admittedly, I called for Russ during the game but I was still tipsy and upset.

Justin gets the nod from me...

I still want to see what Russ brings.

Maybe Russ checks out of some of the ****** play calls Fields kept going into stacked boxes. Audible into some play actions or hot reads to make the defense pay for crowding the box. Those are veteran things Russ has an advantage over Fields on.

The argument FOR Fields is next year and beyond. We know Russ is 1 and done here. Fields could be the future and he has absolutely shown flashes. We also see glimpses of why Chicago traded him. I'm not for giving up on Fields, but I certainly want to see what Russ can bring.

I was more encouraged by the fight in the loss today then at least one of the wins
This was Fields best game this season. Maybe one of the best of his career.
There were some ugly moments but I noticed a few things.
Justin showed composure and a coolheadedness similar to an Eli Manning. Ice cold no emotion just get on with it mentality.
Even with all the negatives, Tomlins 4th down call, bad challenges, dropped passes, Georges uncharacteristic drops and fumbles, Bad snaps, Harris lack of executuion and bonehead play at the end.
Fields stayed cool and put the team on his back, didn't yell or pout at the refs like Harris did on every other play.
He showed serious character yesterday, I know character doesn't win championships, but this kid has heart and his mind is strong in bad situations.
I am more optimistic about him by the week, he looks better and better, I don't know if he is the answer at QB, But damn if this kid isn't easy to root for!
I feel better about the team after yesterday despite the loss.
With a good defensive performance and a running game I think we can do some damage, the entire league is showing weakness, Fields gives us the chance we have been missing for the last 2 years.

We've seen nothing from Russ in a Steelers uniform. He's only done some limited practices. He hasn't been in any game situation in almost a year now. I think it will be very tough to swap them out unless Fields really starts to stink up the joint. So far, he has only been improving.

I believe you hit on his short comings to date:

1 But you have mentioned he improved from one location to the next.

2 Also improved is his accuracy. Which has improved yearly.

3 You mentioned his schemes have changed. I expected the O to have a few early hiccups adjusting to them.

I look at his progression which makes me think that he will continue doing just that progressing. I don’t know how it ceiling offs regarding his overall body of work. There has been signs of encouragement so I can’t dismiss possibilities. There has been signs of concern so I can’t dismiss possibilities.

I think that is where we are at. Closer to knowing but not there……yet.
I think Justin's accuracy has been extremely good especially on the move. I do not think he has improved every game though. From game 1 to 2 was not an improvement. Game 1 we only had 2 punts and controlled the ball. He did show some grit and clutch ability in Denver though. Denvers defense is also very solid. I definitely think last game was his best. He had very little help from coaching, the oline, and the running game. He almost led us back from a big hole so that says something.

I think Justin's accuracy has been extremely good especially on the move. I do not think he has improved every game though. From game 1 to 2 was not an improvement. Game 1 we only had 2 punts and controlled the ball. He did show some grit and clutch ability in Denver though. Denvers defense is also very solid. I definitely think last game was his best. He had very little help from coaching, the oline, and the running game. He almost led us back from a big hole so that says something.
My improvement statement mainly was meant to be season to season. I think as the season goes on he will continue to improve. That is just based on repetition faith. As this offense is new to him and the players so reasonable to think as the season goes that newness will be replaced with improvement.

It would be interesting to know how many here who think Wilson is washed thought Ben was not his last year when he clearly was.

Meh.....My main concern is after the season Wilson is gone. Fields might get resigned. I rather see what Fields can and can not do to find out do we resign him or look to draft a qb.

Meh.....My main concern is after the season Wilson is gone. Fields might get resigned. I rather see what Fields can and can not do to find out do we resign him or look to draft a qb.
I would prefer both. Resign him and draft one of the value was there.

I really like the situation the Steelers are in with the QBs. Letting Fields get more and more comfortable with the offense and develop him slowly while having Russ heal. If they throw Russ out there and he is significantly injured, the Steelers are down to Fields and an injury away from tanking the season. Let Russell fully heal and await his turn, if he gets one.

I am less concerned about the QB position than the RB position. Fields is the guy. The talent is there. He is getting more comfortable by the week in Moore's offense. Even with all the injuries up front, he stil played at a high level. Harris on the other hand runs hard but his vision is not good. I know the line played badly but CP was able to find holes. At this point when Warren is healthy, he should start. Najee

is probably not going to be here next year, so why not let Warren get the carries. His speed is enough to keep him on the field. Oh, once again, give Roman Wilson a ******* hat this weekend.

Ben Still had game left in him.

It was the OL and Offensive scheme that took it out of him.

Proof was his 7 come from behind wins.

Tomlin invested nothing into the OL for Ben’s last season and it was crap ****, and showed.

Ben was better than anyone they had on the roster and add in the eventual 1st rnd Pickett

Salute the nation

Fields still is too indecisive. Hangs onto that football way too long. Give Russ a shot to cook when he’s healthy. I would however be willing to resign Fields to a team friendly contract. 2 years 25m with incentives for playing time and stats.