• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Has Fields done enough to be #1

Fields has done nothing to cause him to lose the starting job. While he's not taking the league by storm, he did just throw our first 300 yard game since Kenny Picket back in 2022 vs the Bills. Oh, we lost that game, and lost it badly. 38-3.

While Russ might check out of some ****** play calls, he's not as mobile as he used to be. So some of those scrambles Fields made to get away from the rush would be sacks.

Arthur and Tomlin need to make Frazier and Fields practice that snap an hour each day until it's automatic. There's nothing automatic about it now. Every snap is almost like holding your breath.

If we had lost yesterday without Fields leading us to a couple of TDs, then I'd be ok with Father Time and his walker going to the huddle. As it is, he can keep his old *** on the sideline.

I am less concerned about the QB position than the RB position. Fields is the guy. The talent is there. He is getting more comfortable by the week in Moore's offense. Even with all the injuries up front, he stil played at a high level. Harris on the other hand runs hard but his vision is not good. I know the line played badly but CP was able to find holes. At this point when Warren is healthy, he should start. Najee

is probably not going to be here next year, so why not let Warren get the carries. His speed is enough to keep him on the field. Oh, once again, give Roman Wilson a ******* hat this weekend.
Getting outplayed by the RB you were drafted to replace, an UDFA and the oldest RB in the league is never a good thing. Pattersons performance yesterday gives me confidence in saying if he stayed healthy and had Harris work, We win that game. Makes you wonder how many more wins the Steelers could have had over the past 2 years if Harris was never here?
Even the Colts player mocked him on X, "Kid is soft, 84 run harder"

Getting outplayed by the RB you were drafted to replace, an UDFA and the oldest RB in the league is never a good thing. Pattersons performance yesterday gives me confidence in saying if he stayed healthy and had Harris work, We win that game. Makes you wonder how many more wins the Steelers could have had over the past 2 years if Harris was never here?
Even the Colts player mocked him on X, "Kid is soft, 84 run harder"
I always liked Najee but last year and this year he has been whining an awful lot. I could get behind the dude if he loaded the team on his back, but he isn't. He sounds like a little ***** and he's running like one too.

So there are two distinct issues at play...
the first is who is the best QB right now
The second is who is the best QB in the future

Fields has done nothing to lose the job yet, but he also hasnt done anything to secure it either.

We need to start with those timing routes over the middle that tore us up yesterday... whatever qb can effectively do that is gonna be the guy you run with...

But you cant ignore Fields tools or the progress he has made.. he might be that kind of qb in the future... his mechanics are already better here...

Like I said, Wilson first needs to be 100% healthy, then you see what practices look like... if there is a losing streak ypu put him in... or if the offense continues to be inconsistent, make the change at tge bye week

I am less concerned about the QB position than the RB position. Fields is the guy. The talent is there. He is getting more comfortable by the week in Moore's offense. Even with all the injuries up front, he stil played at a high level. Harris on the other hand runs hard but his vision is not good. I know the line played badly but CP was able to find holes. At this point when Warren is healthy, he should start. Najee

is probably not going to be here next year, so why not let Warren get the carries. His speed is enough to keep him on the field. Oh, once again, give Roman Wilson a ******* hat this weekend.
My skin crawls thinking that you want to promote to 'non-bell cow' RBs to RB1. But that's just me...

My skin crawls thinking that you want to promote to 'non-bell cow' RBs to RB1. But that's just me...

Next Gen Stats

Najee Harris has totaled 55 carries for 209 yards and -22 rushing yards over expected this season, resulting in a 32.7% success rate which ranks 32nd among 41 running backs with at least 20 carries.

Next Gen Stats

Najee Harris has totaled 55 carries for 209 yards and -22 rushing yards over expected this season, resulting in a 32.7% success rate which ranks 32nd among 41 running backs with at least 20 carries.
Yeah that isn’t good. I can’t pretend it is.

Since when has Najee been a "Bell Cow" this season? He hasn't run for over 70 yards in any game and had a 1.5YPC yesterday. You can look at that mess of an offensive line as a possible reason but then explain why Patterson was averaging 7.2YPC before getting injured? I know Naj is a Bama boy and all, but he isn't doing anything but whining and making excuses for his lack of productivity. He's turning into Claypuff 2.0

'Bam, we agree on a lot of things. But in this instance, Najee isn't giving you a lot of ammo to fire back. Not saying he can't turn it around, but, we've spent 3 years waiting for him to be the decidedly better RB. And, while the lines have been a mess during that time, other RBs have done better with the same.
I hope he turns it around. Because a Najee that's effective is good for the offense.

Najee flipped Indy off on the Jumbotron. That's gotta count for something.

I hadn't heard that, if true, there will be a fine because the nfl doesn't like that sort of thing.

Salute the nation

'Bam, we agree on a lot of things. But in this instance, Najee isn't giving you a lot of ammo to fire back. Not saying he can't turn it around, but, we've spent 3 years waiting for him to be the decidedly better RB. And, while the lines have been a mess during that time, other RBs have done better with the same.
I hope he turns it around. Because a Najee that's effective is good for the offense.

GREAT post and sometimes the truth needs to be put out there. You SIR did it in a classy way. Thank You

Salute the nation

Like Tomlin says of Roman Wilson, he's trying to get on a moving train. I've said before, Wilson will be lucky to even get a hat this year the way Tomlin always does things. Russ is a veteran but he hasn't had a full practice in months and hasn't played a game since well into last year. I think Fields has improved each week and was the reason we had a chance yesterday with our D playing absolutely horribly and our OL not far behind them. He stays the QB1 in my book.

Moving train? Is he healthy? Is he practicing? Does he know the playbook?

If the answers are yes,then get that kid in for a few plays and go from that point on. It's not like they have endless options at wr.

It’s complicated because there’s no real future with Wilson. He was the win now acquisition. They need to have a good understanding of how much they value Fields going into the off season. I think Fields remains the starter as long as he’s playing reasonably well or if it becomes apparent that the Steelers aren’t contenders. I think the only way Wilson becomes the starter is if Field falters but the Steelers look like they could contend with better, or less mistake prone, QB play.

Fields has done nothing to cause him to lose the starting job. While he's not taking the league by storm, he did just throw our first 300 yard game since Kenny Picket back in 2022 vs the Bills. Oh, we lost that game, and lost it badly. 38-3.

While Russ might check out of some ****** play calls, he's not as mobile as he used to be. So some of those scrambles Fields made to get away from the rush would be sacks.

Arthur and Tomlin need to make Frazier and Fields practice that snap an hour each day until it's automatic. There's nothing automatic about it now. Every snap is almost like holding your breath.

If we had lost yesterday without Fields leading us to a couple of TDs, then I'd be ok with Father Time and his walker going to the huddle. As it is, he can keep his old *** on the sideline.
LG on the road taps Frazier when Fields is ready..... on the given play.....LG was looking to Fields waiting for Fields to signal he was ready when Frazier snapped the ball. This has nothing to do with Fields. Frazier apparently felt a phantom touch from our LG and snapped the ball. Watching the replay Frazier doesn't get touched.....yet states that he was. How do you fix that is the question.

LG on the road taps Frazier when Fields is ready..... on the given play.....LG was looking to Fields waiting for Fields to signal he was ready when Frazier snapped the ball. This has nothing to do with Fields. Frazier apparently felt a phantom touch from our LG and snapped the ball. Watching the replay Frazier doesn't get touched.....yet states that he was. How do you fix that is the question.
Have the guard smack him on the arse instead. There is no mistaking that. Perhaps they can be friends.

😀

Have the guard smack him on the arse instead. There is no mistaking that. Perhaps they can be friends.

😀
They can be bestest buddies for sure.

I just don't see a way they can take Fields out of the lineup. He's shown improvement each week and I get the feeling his teammates really like him. Imagine how the locker room will feel if Tomlin benches Fields the minute Wilson is healthy and Wilson doesn't perform. This is why I think it'll take several terrible performances in a row to get the switch and given the leash they gave Kenny, I do wonder how bad Fields would have to be.

I do wonder how bad Fields would have to be.
Perhaps a shorter leash than some would anticipate. For one right or wrong he has a loss under his belt. So say he doesn’t produce one game and the O is hovering around 6 points late.

I can’t help to think with Rooney’s playoff comments, that they might not ride substandard football for long.

Provided it went to that level. Which doesn’t seem likely.

Perhaps a shorter leash than some would anticipate. For one right or wrong he has a loss under his belt. So say he doesn’t produce one game and the O is hovering around 6 points late.

I can’t help to think with Rooney’s playoff comments, that they might not ride substandard football for long.

Provided it went to that level. Which doesn’t seem likely.
Oh, given Tomlin/Smith's reluctance to open up the offense early, I could see a game or 10 where the offense is hovering around 6 points late in the game. Heck, they were at 3 points late in Sunday's game.

I don't remember seeing Fields audible out of any play. I think it's forbidden under Tomlin.

When O’Canada first year here, they didn’t let Ben audible until week 4 or 5, that was ****-ed up.

As for Fields, maybe they hacen’t taken the training wheels completely off yet………….

Salute the nation

Today, I am seeing articles lamenting our WR2 situation again...

I am going to reiterate, The lack of wrs not named Pickens to produce is almost certainly directly tied to Fields and not the wrs themselves

Indy was banged up in the secondary and was short on depth. Fields targeted Pickend despite him drawing their best cover guys...

Last week, against a better secondary, wrs got open just fine...

Remember, Fields wasnt properly taught an NFL offense in Chicago... it led to him being a more one or two read then run type down there... in three seasons his wr 2 never was higher than 4th in targets... unless the wr2 or 3 is the main target on a play, on a ton of plays, he checks the wr1, the TE, and RB... then runs...

Its something he had to work on when getting here.. and last week vs the chargers, it seemed he had a breakthrough...

So again... the worse thing for Fields is reinforcing bad habits in the passing game..

We dont need him to be a true pocket passer, but we do need him to spread the ball around more... teams arent respecting the pass and its killing the run game early

Next Gen Stats

Not disagreeing. Look at the box when Najee is on the field.

Because we don't scare ANYONE with our passing game - everyone knows the play will be a run. 99% of the time.

Poor OL play coupled with that equates to his poor play. Just saying...