• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Here go some of the coaches!

Is Eddie Faulkner's job safe? I don't think it should be with the development of the RBs.

This, as much as I'd like to see an outside perspective I fear Ben wouldn't sign off on it. I fully expect Ben to be back and am cool with that, I wish it was under a totally fresh voice as OC...

I never got this line of thinking, BA and Ben were very close, but they got rid of BA. Haley is a known *******, they hired him. Everyone says Ben likes Randy, but they're not bringing him back. Looks to me like Ben has very little say on who the OC is.

I want to emphasize I am glad Fichtner is gone.

But I'm telling you, they better either fire the QB too, or sit him down and tell him this is the way it is going to be. We are going to run the damn ball, you are going to be under center more, there will be play actions and some movement from the QB position. If you cannot or will not do that, thank you for everything you have done, it has been great, but enjoy retirement.

I never got this line of thinking, BA and Ben were very close, but they got rid of BA. Haley is a known *******, they hired him. Everyone says Ben likes Randy, but they're not bringing him back. Looks to me like Ben has very little say on who the OC is.

he needs to throw and hand off the ball. What they have been working with is not working. He should be able to see that.

This, as much as I'd like to see an outside perspective I fear Ben wouldn't sign off on it. I fully expect Ben to be back and am cool with that, I wish it was under a totally fresh voice as OC...

If that's the case, they can bring in the greatest offensive mind ever and it will not look any different.

I want to emphasize I am glad Fichtner is gone.

But I'm telling you, they better either fire the QB too, or sit him down and tell him this is the way it is going to be. We are going to run the damn ball, you are going to be under center more, there will be play actions and some movement from the QB position. If you cannot or will not do that, thank you for everything you have done, it has been great, but enjoy retirement.

Is Ben telling the OL to not block so we can't run the ball?

We need an OC that can call the offense because Tomlin can't. He completely ****** up the defense. He's a terrible in game manager. The assistant coaches he surrounds himself with are epically awful more times than not.

Other than cliches at press conferences, tell me again why they keep Tomlin around?

Is Ben telling the OL to not block so we can't run the ball?

Just stop. Stop defending the QB. It is childish. They are here due to poor coaching AND poor play. They are too damn predictable. I believe part of that is due to the limitations of the QB. How much of those limitations are due to his age or health, and how much are due to his having to do things his way on offense I do not know. I feel it is a combination of both.

Don't give me that **** about the OL. I know they were not very good, but it all works together. Ben wasn't hitting the deep ball, so everyone knew it was only short stuff. If you are a defense and don't have any concerns about being beat over the top, why the hell worry about it? Crunch down on everything short, which would include the running game.

Look, I am old enough to remember the '70s well, and then of course the '80s when they were rolling out Mark Malone and David Woodley, for crying out loud. I appreciate Ben and all he has done, and I also know what it may look like when he does hang them up. But holding on to a guy who cannot or will not do what needs to be done will only prolong the chance to they can maybe find the next true guy. And I'm sorry, while Tomlin and Fitchner may not be very good coaches, I do not think they are idiots like some on here think. That offense looked the way it did for a reason, and I think that reason has a hell of a lot to do with the QB. A blind Chinese peasant could see that it wasn't working anymore be the end of the year, and nothing changed. Has anyone considered that maybe it couldn't be?

The biggest reason that we could not run the ball was because our brilliant 3 yard passing scheme lent itself to loading the box with defenders. We did everything we could to make it more difficult to run the ball, especially when you have OL that are on the decline.. Not saying we need to go back to Bruce Arians offense, but an effective 12-20 yard passing game will cause the defense to have to clear out of the box which in turn will open up the running game.

That offense looked the way it did for a reason, and I think that reason has a hell of a lot to do with the QB. A blind Chinese peasant could see that it wasn't working anymore be the end of the year, and nothing changed. Has anyone considered that maybe it couldn't be?

Then why did it look remarkedly different when we went to the hurry up offense and Ben was calling the plays? Why was the offense more effective when Ben was calling the plays?

Then why did it look remarkedly different when we went to the hurry up offense and Ben was calling the plays? Why was the offense more effective when Ben was calling the plays?

When was that? Early in the year? Everything looked better then.

Against the Colts? They were down 24-7 and the Colts relaxed and let the Steelers back in. Happens all the time. Against the Browns? 28-0 will do that.

The offense looked more competent to me than it had in a while the last game of the year in Cleveland. It wasn't great, but at least competent. Rudolph wasn't running hurry up.

Point I would like to make. The OC could have been fired mid season. That has happened. You ended up firing anyhow. Much like you could fire Tomlin now instead of next year or year after. The result is the same with less heartache.

Stop with the facts man! I love how Ben kept us from running the ball last year too. Mason and Duck were in the shotgun all the damn time too, but thats on Ben.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Steeler Nation mobile app

The offense looked identical in 2019, you know when Ben wasn't playing
Look, I am old enough to remember the '70s well, and then of course the '80s when they were rolling out Mark Malone and David Woodley, for crying out loud. I appreciate Ben and all he has done, and I also know what it may look like when he does hang them up. But holding on to a guy who cannot or will not do what needs to be done will only prolong the chance to they can maybe find the next true guy. And I'm sorry, while Tomlin and Fitchner may not be very good coaches, I do not think they are idiots like some on here think. That offense looked the way it did for a reason, and I think that reason has a hell of a lot to do with the QB. A blind Chinese peasant could see that it wasn't working anymore be the end of the year, and nothing changed. Has anyone considered that maybe it couldn't be?

Against the Colts? They were down 24-7 and the Colts relaxed and let the Steelers back in. Happens all the time. Against the Browns? 28-0 will do that.

The offense looked more competent to me than it had in a while the last game of the year in Cleveland. It wasn't great, but at least competent. Rudolph wasn't running hurry up.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/12/04/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-randy-fichtner-mike-tomlin-washington-football-team/stories/202012040141

Stop with the facts man! I love how Ben kept us from running the ball last year too. Mason and Duck were in the shotgun all the damn time too, but thats on Ben.

Dammit all to hell. I am not saying that. The coaching sucked. Ben sucked. The question is did the offense look that way because of limitations of the QB? Either due to age or attitude? I think it is a question that has to be asked by the powers that be. Just running around defending the QB does nothing.

Rudolph is not the answer. We were down 24-9 going into the 4th QTR... you're remember this game a lot different than what it was.

Yes, or Brian Schottenheimer was let go by Seattle.

Pederson firing was because he wasn’t allowed to do what he wanted (Lurie mania) and walked when asked to make changes. Shottenheimer had a pretty damn good offense so his firing was confusing.

It may be since 72 hour rule has expired and rationalization has overcome emotion, but most everyone has been clamoring for “new blood” for OC for weeks, years. Canada will probably stays as QB coach, but he will get an interview. So why look at retreads? Although I like what Schottenheimer did for SEA. Coach Buts is staying on a yearly contract directive. That seems to be the standard for prepping for retirement. Austin had supplanted most of Bradley’s role anyway. So Bradley being let go isn’t surprising when you look at it.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

No, this offense looked identical last year, we averaged the same yards per carry, we couldn't run last year, threw alot of short passes, shotgun most of the time.
So if the offensive scheme looked exactly the same without Ben, how can you blame Ben?
Dammit all to hell. I am not saying that. The coaching sucked. Ben sucked. The question is did the offense look that way because of limitations of the QB? Either due to age or attitude? I think it is a question that has to be asked by the powers that be. Just running around defending the QB does nothing.

Dolphins interviewing Canada for OC position... that's good.

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...interviewing-steelers-matt-canada-for-oc-job/