• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Here go some of the coaches!

isnt the return of ben the question that needs answered before we can really say who will be new OC ? If ben is coming back, Canada or Whisenhunt makes sense.

Gimme that dude that likes to suck on the toes...the guy from the Jets...yeah him.

isnt the return of ben the question that needs answered before we can really say who will be new OC ?

I suspect the team has a fair idea on which way Ben is leaning. They will let him announce one way or another on his own schedule. That said, I do hope they aren't looking for Ben to have significant input to the process. If BB doesn't retire, he is short term. Team needs to think further down the road than just Big Ben.

my money is on Canada. They will promote him before Miami signs him.

"He is familiar with the system and players. it will be an easy transition and Ben is comfortable with him."

Another point. all of us armchair coaches were like Skarrett is ****. The line cannot block. No no, old sweet feet is great. Gone. How about gone months ago. I'd have brought that fat **** into the film room and said. "how you gonna fix this ****?"

Another point. all of us armchair coaches were like Skarrett is ****. The line cannot block. No no, old sweet feet is great. Gone. How about gone months ago. I'd have brought that fat **** into the film room and said. "how you gonna fix this ****?"

I am not going to defend the line - clearly there are issues. However, as I watch more tape of the season, I see other things that concern me. For example, combo blocks where neither lineman comes off the inital block to press to the second level. Is that the players or was the scheme to put two hats on one? On zone run plays, I see RB's make terrible decisions on running lanes. Also, I see zone, power, base, combo and pass blocking just in game one, but never seem to make one our bread and butter. Not only did we not commit to the run, but seemingly not any one scheme as our core. You coach Sask, so you know every running attack needs a handful of core plays that you run regularly. RF tossed that out the window for the short passes. Moreover, 5 OL can only block 5 defenders. There are six other defenders who need accounted for either by being too far away to make the play or with Jumbo, TE, or WR blocking. I won't say this is a great run blocking line because they aren't. But the scheme and backs sure has heck didn't help.

Also, don't forget when we hired Haley, we did interview Jim Caldwell that year.

i like the idea of matt to OC? who would like to see as the new QB coach a vet or another creative college mind I saw bleacher report top thier list of matt, followed by Jim Caldwell last person i want to see Marty Jr it could be pete being the conserative *** that ****** russ or marty jr handcuffing him. dont want him neer us. I want some external coaches that players will have to asap earn respect or they knew thier ***** will be chewed up i was hoping rex asa DC or if smith got canned him as ST.

Rooney's fault. He doesn't allow "firings"; just "expired contracts".

45svyx7tsbb61.jpg

I am not going to defend the line - clearly there are issues. However, as I watch more tape of the season, I see other things that concern me. For example, combo blocks where neither lineman comes off the inital block to press to the second level. Is that the players or was the scheme to put two hats on one? On zone run plays, I see RB's make terrible decisions on running lanes. Also, I see zone, power, base, combo and pass blocking just in game one, but never seem to make one our bread and butter. Not only did we not commit to the run, but seemingly not any one scheme as our core. You coach Sask, so you know every running attack needs a handful of core plays that you run regularly. RF tossed that out the window for the short passes. Moreover, 5 OL can only block 5 defenders. There are six other defenders who need accounted for either by being too far away to make the play or with Jumbo, TE, or WR blocking. I won't say this is a great run blocking line because they aren't. But the scheme and backs sure has heck didn't help.

This is a money intelligent post here. And the run game is multi facet. Scheme, Technique, Running back vision, Mesh with QB. Timing of the call. That said there was way to many first level players square to the ball carrier. And when the opponent knew you were going to run- Third and one, goal line. They just could not get any push at all. That is just oline. That is not mesh or running back vision. Skarrett had to go. Its just that we knew he was **** in August not January.

I never got this line of thinking, BA and Ben were very close, but they got rid of BA. Haley is a known *******, they hired him. Everyone says Ben likes Randy, but they're not bringing him back. Looks to me like Ben has very little say on who the OC is.

I dont have links but everything I heard at the time was Arains and Fitchner were Ben's strong wishes to take over and Haley was not. Arians was quoted as saying its Ben's offense if I recall. Ben pushed back on Haley pretty much from the word go.

Unfortunately the guy that everyone wants to be fired won’t be fired. You don’t let go a bunch of assistants before the main guy. Whether we like it or not he lives to see another day.

On a side note I’m surprised it took them this long to let those guys go.

The Facility was shut down due to a certain super red carpet bowl participating TE who contracted C-19. May have slowed the process.

Also how the HECK did Bubbles survive...... ?

Salute the nation

Careful MDK2 people will carp that few of Bellicheat's assistants have been successful even though a boat load have been hired. The fact that no one even has interest in Tomlin's stiffs is irrelevant.

I carp at that not because of Belecheat one way or the other, I carp about that because it is a stupid and asinine concept. Paul Brown had a coaching tree of success, which should be the barometer, should it not? If success is not the barometer, wtf is the point? Lombardi did not. Bill Walsh had a coaching tree. Chuck Noll did not. See? It makes no sense as a measure of coaching ability.

Why do you guys have to go to the idiotic to try to explain Tomlin's issues as a coach. Shouldn't it be enough the lack of success on the field?

This is a money intelligent post here. And the run game is multi facet. Scheme, Technique, Running back vision, Mesh with QB. Timing of the call. That said there was way to many first level players square to the ball carrier. And when the opponent knew you were going to run- Third and one, goal line. They just could not get any push at all. That is just oline. That is not mesh or running back vision. Skarrett had to go. Its just that we knew he was **** in August not January.

Yet the OL coach was able to get a rookie 4th round pick from the powerhouse Louisiana to really surprise people, so much so that so many were pissed here he didn't start the playoff game.

This offense was so predictable for one reason or another is the main reason why they couldn't run.

I am not going to defend the line - clearly there are issues. However, as I watch more tape of the season, I see other things that concern me. ... On zone run plays, I see RB's make terrible decisions on running lanes.

This ^^^

I looked in particular at the games against the Clowns (first game), the game against the Colts, and the regular season finale against the Clowns. In the first game, Conner exploded through gaps and got positive yards almost every play. In the other two games, he would run into a pile of players and get nothing, when he had a pretty decent-sized hole just to his left. He just seemed insistent on powering through players to get yardage, and failed to see holes, particularly on the backside as the zone blocking shifted the direction of the play.

Also, for some reason the Steelers now run almost no trap plays. I just don't know why. They ran one trap play against the Clowns early in the first quarter and Conner stormed through a big hole for 11 yards.

The Steelers aren't going to hire Canada to replace Fichtner. It puts no urgency in the team if that's the move they make. Look back at their OC history with Tomlin. They had Arians who was horrible for Roethlisberger's health so they went outside and hired a former head coach in Haley. Former head coach who may ruffle some feathers, but the offense got on the right track. They move from him back to safe choice with Fichtner. The guy was in over his head from the start. I think I saw opponents score more defensive touchdowns against the Steelers than the Steelers scored offensive touchdowns on opening drive during his tenure. The Steelers need an offensive authority who's going to shake things up, and ideally a guy who was or wants to be a head coach again.

I'd also expand the coaching staff with additional positional assistant coaches. Find some young, up and coming coaches who have worked under innovators. Go to the college ranks and give them a taste of NFL football. There are more and more college concepts coming to the NFL, so why not bring in some ideas with your assistants?

Like Ed and Gerry said last year, firing Butler is the equivalent of firing Tomlin. This is Tomlin's defense and he has as much if not more say over it as Butler does. More status quo for the Steelers

You know, on the whole, we’ve had good defensive play over the last few years, so....

Over 200 yards and 3 TDs to hunt and chubb behind a off the street oline, no sacks, no turnovers
First turnover gave Cleveland the ball at midfield, the scored in 3 plays
When the offense turns the ball over; continuously forcing the defense to defend short fields.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Reactions: GMC
Over 200 yards and 3 TDs to hunt and chubb behind a off the street oline, no sacks, no turnovers
First turnover gave Cleveland the ball at midfield, the scored in 3 plays

Sent from my SM-A515U using Steeler Nation mobile app

First turnover gave Cleveland the ball in endzone. They scored in 14 seconds.
Who were the ILBs, OLBs and one starting CB for the Steelers in that game? Did the defense lose a couple of players during the game also?
Now, maybe I'm wrong, but of the two units, which one was depleted of starter level players and which one had basically its full complement? You would hope that the Offense, if not capable of picking up a little slack for a defense decimated by injury, at least wouldn't put them in ****** positions. It just didn't happen that way. Truthfully, I'm past knocking any one, two or three players on offense. They didn't get the job done; and they made it harder for the defense at a time when it just couldn't happen that way.