• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Here go some of the coaches!

We need an OC that can call the offense because Tomlin can't. He completely ****** up the defense. He's a terrible in game manager. The assistant coaches he surrounds himself with are epically awful more times than not.

Other than cliches at press conferences, tell me again why they keep Tomlin around?

1) The Rooney Rule
2) The team's history with its previous coaches
3) Stupidity

Other than Munch and BA.. when a Steelers coach leaves the organization, nobody wants them and their career is usually done. Tomlin has no coaching tree, none.

The offense looked identical in 2019, you know when Ben wasn't playing

Sent from my SM-A515U using Steeler Nation mobile app

I know it did.

I don't think that really changes the question, though. It looked that way in 2019 due to the fact that they were playing a 2nd year QB who wasn't ready and a rookie FA from, hell, I don't even remember where Hodges was from. Limitations from the QB position.

All I am trying to say is that is what they have to figure out...why does it keep looking the same. I hope you are right, believe me. I hope a new guy comes in there, Ben comes back and it looks like a different offense. I hope they run the ball, play action, move the pocket on occasion, throw deep and so on. I am just not sure Ben can.

Do you have confidence that he can? Do you have confidence that if they just change the OC things will automatically improve?

Rudolph is not the answer. We were down 24-9 going into the 4th QTR... you're remember this game a lot different than what it was.

Where did I say he was?

How long will some of you be blindly loyal to Ben? Because that is what this is like. The minute anyone questions him even a little...even with me clearly agreeing the coaching needs to change. There is more to it that just coaching.

Look, at the end of the day it doesn't matter one whit what you or I think or hw we view it. I just hope the people who can make a difference are looking at all the angles.

I know it did.

I don't think that really changes the question, though. It looked that way in 2019 due to the fact that they were playing a 2nd year QB who wasn't ready and a rookie FA from, hell, I don't even remember where Hodges was from. Limitations from the QB position.

All I am trying to say is that is what they have to figure out...why does it keep looking the same. I hope you are right, believe me. I hope a new guy comes in there, Ben comes back and it looks like a different offense. I hope they run the ball, play action, move the pocket on occasion, throw deep and so on. I am just not sure Ben can.

Do you have confidence that he can? Do you have confidence that if they just change the OC things will automatically improve?

My opinion is they started to figure out the Oline was shot, they absolutely couldn't run block, so putting the QB under center for a play fake was pointless, no one is worried about our running game. The Oline is the biggest problem with this offense, it was last year too. We've spent so much on the defense, what 9 first rounders, we've put the Oline on the back burner and it's killing us now.
Hell go back to the last season Bell played, we only averaged 3.8 ypc as a team, we averaged 3.6 this year.

Last edited:
My opinion is they started to figure out the Oline was shot, they absolutely couldn't run block, so putting the QB under center for a play fake was pointless, no one is worried about our running game. The Oline is the biggest problem with this offense, it was last year too. We've spent so much on the defense, what 9 first rounders, we've put the Oline on the back burner and it's killing us now.
Hell go back to the last season Bell played, we only averaged 3.8 ypc as a team, we averaged 3.6 this year.

It's the only way Tomlin's defense has been able to look somewhat good since Troy and company have left. Tomlin needs first round talent at pretty much every spot.

I hear Brian Schottenheimer is looking for a job

I agree.

Don't understand the Ben bashing. At 10-0 most of this board was perplexed why he wasn't in the MVP conversation. 8 weeks later he is washed up? He had a 12-3 record. How many other teams can say that?

I think Ben values winning over Coaching friendships. If he thinks all the offseason moves put the Steelers in a better position to win, he will want to be back.

This may be true. I am not sure. I think with a change of scheme this line could have been more effective at run blocking. I love Ben he is still capable of throwing the ball. I am not sure he is capable of consistently going under center as I personally believe is needed to run the type of scheme our current RBs are best suited for, particularly Snell. We were not creative at all in what we tried to do to run out the shotgun and I am hoping Canada if he is the man can bring some creativity and far better in game calls and flow to the position.

I agree.

Don't understand the Ben bashing. At 10-0 most of this board was perplexed why he wasn't in the MVP conversation. 8 weeks later he is washed up? He had a 12-3 record. How many other teams can say that?

It is not bashing. It is an honest look at ALL the problems. Ben was lousy down the stretch. He was making bad throws and not seeing open guys.

It doesn't matter that they were 10-0 and he looked really good then. It would be like saying we played a heck of a game for 3 quarters, but the 4th quarter got us, but let's just focus on the first 3 quarters.

I really hope you guys are right. I don't want to be right on this one. I hope it is a combo of lousy coaching and lousy OL play, and Ben can come back next year and with improvements in both have a successful year.

Other than Munch and BA.. when a Steelers coach leaves the organization, nobody wants them and their career is usually done. Tomlin has no coaching tree, none.

Careful MDK2 people will carp that few of Bellicheat's assistants have been successful even though a boat load have been hired. The fact that no one even has interest in Tomlin's stiffs is irrelevant.

This may be true. I am not sure. I think with a change of scheme this line could have been more effective at run blocking. I love Ben he is still capable of throwing the ball. I am not sure he is capable of consistently going under center as I personally believe is needed to run the type of scheme our current RBs are best suited for, particularly Snell. We were not creative at all in what we tried to do to run out the shotgun and I am hoping Canada if he is the man can bring some creativity and far better in game calls and flow to the position.

Munchak's last year here, with AL, Pouncey, DeCastro, Feiler on the Oline, we were 31st in the NFL in rushing. The year before that, with Bell playing we averaged only 3.8 ypc as a team, this season we averaged 3.6 ypc. The Oline sucks, and has sucked for a few awhile now.

totally agree. I want someone who is not so risk adverse and knows how to open things up. Maybe Canada can do that and has only been there a year, but I just feel like some new infusion of ideas is needed. Won't matter much though if MT insists on being conservative and just trying to keep things close.

The best thing the Rooney's could do is to hire the OC themselves and tell Tomlin hands off and stay out of his way - he answers to us, only!!!

TE coach James Daniel has retired.. so we need a TE coach now too..

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...-tes-coach-james-daniel-announces-retirement/

Who do folks like to come in as OC? I assume Canada is under consideration. Chan Gailey? Anthony Lynn? A college guy?

There's a rumor that South Hills Middle School contacted Fichtner to interview for their WR coach position.

imo its a **** position,, you have 4 guys max to "Coach". Most of the coaching can be done by the o line coach or wr coach.

Who do folks like to come in as OC? I assume Canada is under consideration. Chan Gailey? Anthony Lynn? A college guy?

I got money on someone who has not done much, knows much and will do not much after he is done here.

someone outside the organization that has had success in the NFL before, Pederson, Schottenheimer, etc.

someone outside the organization that has had success in the NFL before, Pederson, Schottenheimer, etc.

Unless Shottenheimer got overruled by Carrol their offense tanked almost as badly. I don't look for King Tomlin to find someone who could eclipse him. He will get a minion.