• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If Devin Bush starts over Spillane......

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Anyone who knows anything about football should be able to understand what many of us have said about Mike Tomlin for years. Does Robert Spillane have pass issues. 100% but so does Bush. In fact if he has to move laterally against a flat route he isn't any better. He is definitely better up the seams. But that is it. But again anyone who knows anything about football knows you better lock down the run before you ever worry about the pass. And Robert Spillane is 1000 times better at controlling the strong A gap then Bush. As Hoge said. If you get your hands on Devin Bush it's over.

Perhaps he will get his **** together down the stretch.

Anyone who knows anything about football should be able to understand what many of us have said about Mike Tomlin for years. Does Robert Spillane have pass issues. 100% but so does Bush. In fact if he has to move laterally against a flat route he isn't any better. He is definitely better up the seams. But that is it. But again anyone who knows anything about football knows you better lock down the run before you ever worry about the pass. And Robert Spillane is 1000 times better at controlling the strong A gap then Bush. As Hoge said. If you get your hands on Devin Bush it's over.
They've already been replacing Bush with Spillane in passing situations for most of the season...which is ***-backwards. If they feel the need to platoon these 2 players, without question, Spillane should be in there on running downs. What they've been doing makes no sense.

Perhaps he will get his **** together down the stretch.
I've never known a football coach who operates like that. Clearly Tomlin believes they are still in this because really mathematically they are. You play each week with the best players play. If this was well one week he is good one week he is bad. Maybe. He has been bad all season and his suck became noticeable to anyone by week three. I missed it but apparently he tipped a pass last week that was intercepted. Other than picking up a game winning fumble (which he damn near ****** up) he has not made a significant play. And they have been 10 men against the run all season with the exception of a few plays. When Minkah flies in and tackles a guy at 10 and looks around and slams his hands together he isn't celebrating.

They've already been replacing Bush with Spillane in passing situations for most of the season...which is ***-backwards. If they feel the need to platoon these 2 players, without question, Spillane should be in there on running downs. What they've been doing makes no sense.
I never understood this either. If the kept Bush in on passing down, they could focus him on just the coverage aspect of his game because we already know he isn't going to shed a block. That was known when he entered the league.

I think Buddy should get some snaps too. I feel he’s our future mack backer.

It’ll be a rotational day. Bush may get the first series but I think Spillane will have more of a work load.

He is ****** brutal. A blind soccer fan could see it. Even when he is actually where he should be he drops a ****** easy ball and costs them 7. It's beyond unbelievable.

Tomlin plays the best players he can which means we do not have many good players, we also have some piss poor specialty coaches, tackling terrible, blocking terrible, receivers that have forgotten what they are. Many on the defensive side have no clue pass coverage. Even though mathematically we are in the run how many truly believe this can happen. We have not played a complete game this year and we can see many reason we could have lost the games we won. A win is a win and I am happy for it but in all reality we have listened to way to many Tomlis post game politically type answers, to expect a play off spot

Bush wasn't particularly good today, but this felt like it was his best game of the season.

Bush wasn't particularly good today, but this felt like it was his best game of the season.
He was where he should be on several pass drops. He dropped a sure INT that resulted in the Titans only TD and his run defense was *** the way its been all season. I think he got the yank way too late in the end. He is ****** terrible.

He was where he should be on several pass drops. He dropped a sure INT that resulted in the Titans only TD and his run defense was *** the way its been all season. I think he got the yank way too late in the end. He is ****** terrible.
I am curious how he would look if they had someone competent on the Dline besides Cam. It is just that the lines on both sides of the ball are handcuffing this team.

I am curious how he would look if they had someone competent on the Dline besides Cam. It is just that the lines on both sides of the ball are handcuffing this team.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a non factor, but I've never seen such indecisive play, such bad shed, such bad angles from a middle linebacker. This guy is making Jarvis Jones look great. Not even good. Great.
If you go back and watch Devin Bush was sent to blitz his gap more than 10 times. Not to make a play but to at least turn it to someone who could.

Last edited:
Mike Tomlin would play a can of soup if Colbert accidentally drafted it with a 1st round pick.
Exactly. How would it look if a late-round pick or UDFA out-performed a first or second round pick?
Ziggy Hood, Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones, and Artie Burns say Hi.

How do you watch film and see a guy doing so much wrong and then each week he still gets the start? What message does that send the team? it says that there is no merit based advancement. Why bust your *** in practice if you're a backup because the starter gets to do everything wrong and will still play ahead of you.

I could understand letting stuff slide the first few weeks of the season. It's often a bit rough especially now that training camp and preseason is a joke. You expect a few weeks of mistakes and sloppy execution. But week 15? Get the **** out of here.

it would be nice if someone on the DL would help occupy the OL so the ILB can flow free to the play

not excusing bush's ****** play.....

How do you watch film and see a guy doing so much wrong and then each week he still gets the start? What message does that send the team? it says that there is no merit based advancement. Why bust your *** in practice if you're a backup because the starter gets to do everything wrong and will still play ahead of you.

I could understand letting stuff slide the first few weeks of the season. It's often a bit rough especially now that training camp and preseason is a joke. You expect a few weeks of mistakes and sloppy execution. But week 15? Get the **** out of here.
This is what I've been saying for weeks. How does this sack of **** show up for film and not just want to leave.
Ok next week Devin can we try not to get knocked back 5 yards on the block.
Ok Devin remember all that time we spend on block sheds. Can you try to use one of the moves we show you.
Ok Devin can we try to make one tackle moving down hill on a forward angle.
Just a suggestion Devin can you try to catch with your hands when the ball comes right to you.
The reality is this is we might as well call him Uncle Devin because this is just Jarvis Jones 2.0. Tomlin painfully playing a player that everyone can see is substandard. It isn't like I want the kid injured but **** yesterday it looked he might have sprained his ankle. I wouldn't have been upset.

Exactly. How would it look if a late-round pick or UDFA out-performed a first or second round pick?
Ziggy Hood, Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones, and Artie Burns say Hi.
Ziggy Hood ended up having a decent career. We could use a guy like him now. Certainly not a first rounder, but he was a pretty good player. Typical Tomlin era reach.
Also, I was very surprised to see that Artie Burns is still in the league, and on the field for the Bears.

The ones watching the film are ****.

Spillane looked slow as **** yesterday. Bush got his hand on the ball and had a few flashes. Maybe, maybe he is trying to shake the BusT label

This is the state of the ILB the Steelers have. We are arguing Robert Spillane and Devin Bush. Spillane is a nice story and all that, but he isn't the answer to anything. James Farrior isn't coming through that door anytime soon.

I just had a funny thought. To me, anyway. Remember some of the angst when Larry Foote had to play when Kendrell Bell kept getting hurt? How many would love a Larry Foote in there right now?