• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who's left here that still believes?

I'm not sure he's "happy" with the Steelers being average as much as he values things like his family's legacy of having not fired a coach in over 50 years more.

He can justify it to himself and his business partners as long as Tomlin avoids losing records and keeps the team competitive enough to sustain fan interest through December.
"well Terry, he sure as hell aint sad" - Oceans 13 :ROFLMAO:

Instead of "happy", I think we can agree on the word "Content" instead

Holy cow!
I've got 15 reactions/replies!

Just to be clear, I don't disagree with anyone's take or think that yinz are full of crap...well, except if your name is Lloyd. lol
I'm just more less playing the devils advocate here, looking from/'at other angles.... hoping to have a cordial discussion. And it's good.

I've got to run...will be back later to get caught up!

#1 he leads the shitshow. He wasn't stiffed with the Aaron Rogers circus. Anything that happens on this roster. Good and bad is Mike Tomlin.
#2 The and only coached one team IS the problem. I don't think Tomlin is a horrible coach. I really do not. I think he keeps winning 17-14 games and does nothing to risk really bad seasons but make the team a real contender. So they will win 9 or 10 games this year be just outside or just inside the playoffs. If they are a wildcard team they will get their *** handed to them and we will all be back here next training camp with great hope until they play their first game or two. FACT.
Love the optimism...

Love the optimism...
Can you articulate the progression in his coaching so that others can share in your optimism?

Or other factors that hold the Steelers and their coach back from exiting this extended period of mediocrity?

Remember when the goal every year was SB!

Can you articulate the progression in his coaching so that others can share in your optimism?

Or other factors that hold the Steelers and their coach back from exiting this extended period of mediocrity?

Remember when the goal every year was SB!
The conversation is a vortex.

Fans, who do not see the whole picture, want playoff wins and a SB win - EVERY YEAR.

We all know that Coach Tomlin is not a real strategist and he struggles, mightily, when making 'in game decisions'.

He's hired some good coaches (i.e. Brian Flores) but they don't seem to stay very long---and he's cut the fat after obvious mistakes (i.e. Matt Canada) albeit he doesn't cut the fat soon enough...

Some, here, would rather that he fail miserably (the question is for how long because one inept season should not warrant his firing) so he can be fired. Yeah, "3-14 ought to do the trick"...

Or maybe it's because Coach Tomlin can speak w/ eloquence and rarely uses ebonics???

What ever the case, he's been steady. Yep, mediocre.

None of this changes my view. I believe he has a shelf life of 2 more years and then it'll be time to move on...

Tomlin has definitely adapted. When the NFL went offense crazy he was right along with that.
The Killer bees, full on offense, barely any defense.
Now he runs with defense will win championships.
He cannot find the proper balance
I disagree. The Steelers are inching toward being irrelevant for a decade and without a playoff win. In an offensive league, their last three OCs have been Randy Fichtner, Matt Canada, and Arthur Smith. Smith wasn't a bad hire, but he isn't the type of OC that thrives in the NFL either.

I disagree. The Steelers are inching toward being irrelevant for a decade and without a playoff win. In an offensive league, their last three OCs have been Randy Fichtner, Matt Canada, and Arthur Smith. Smith wasn't a bad hire, but he isn't the type of OC that thrives in the NFL either.
[/QUOTE
Tomlin won his SB with the best defense the steelers have had since the 70s.
He followed that up with the best offense for 5-7 years.
He is now back to focusing on the defensive side of things.
He has adapted to his players.
He is not a 1 trick pony

Love the optimism...
My optimism is hope. I hope they do better. I hope they win a playoff game. But honestly they are more then a third done the season on Sunday. Does that really seem like more then a hope at this point. It's the exact same **** as the last 6 or 7 years.

My optimism is hope. I hope they do better. I hope they win a playoff game. But honestly they are more then a third done the season on Sunday. Does that really seem like more then a hope at this point. It's the exact same **** as the last 6 or 7 years.
My friend Red talked about hope a lot. He got out of Shawshank

the-shawshank.gif

Baltimore says "hi"...

You guys are worse than a group of ladies. How emotional can a bunch of men be? The answer lies in this thread. It's week 6 and a winning streak is about to start. Wipe your vaginas. Enjoy the season. Get off Tomlins sack. It's not good for you or for the owner of this excellent site

Dude, Cowher's wife was dying of cancer so he quit to be with her.

Your moral is off because your facts are misaligned with the reality. Your narrative works for you because you leave out key parts
Dude, I sense you're getting a bit testy,
To begin with, I stated a hypothetical, a scenario, never claimed it to be factual.
Secondly Cowher quitting solely because of his wife is not accurate which makes you the one misaligned with reality.

In his book Cowher explains why he quit coaching.
In this excerpt, he doesn't mention his wife.
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...s-why-he-stepped-down-as-steelers-head-coach/
(copy and paste function disabled for this site)

However, In an interview as the one below he includes his family and wife.

“The reason I stepped down, I just didn’t like the lifestyle, I wanted more normalcy,’’ Cowher told The Athletic. “With the family dynamic we had at the time, my wife wasn’t in a great place and I owed it to her. And as I got out of it, it was like, ‘Wow! I probably needed to get pushed out a little bit.’”

Here he "felt like a prisoner".

."I didn't really like where I was going with myself," Cowher said. "I'd walk around a lot with my head down. Wouldn't make eye contact. I felt like a little bit of a prisoner. You'd go into hotels and you don't go down to the lobby because you'd get recognized. It's just not a good place to be."

"I didn't mind the hours, but I didn't like the lifestyle," Cowher said. "I won a championship and I just felt like I got to the point where I couldn't go anywhere. It's like living in a fishbowl. Honestly, it's what it is. I look at what I have now, and it's living normal."

My friend Red talked about hope a lot. He got out of Shawshank
I hope every week. They can't take hope. But when you watch it every week it's hard to see how you can have more then that. Then about every three years I have hope ownership will wake the f'k up. And it's always dashed.

"I didn't mind the hours, but I didn't like the lifestyle," Cowher said. "I won a championship and I just felt like I got to the point where I couldn't go anywhere. It's like living in a fishbowl. Honestly, it's what it is. I look at what I have now, and it's living normal."[/I][/B]

and now hes on tv every week front and center.

Smith has thrived in Tennessee.

Will Tomlin allow him to thrive is the question…Smiths play calling is better than Canada but the overall approach to offense in the first half of games is very similar to past years, IMO that’s Tomlins influence on it as the HC and a BIG part of the problem

We’ve endured 5+ years of atrocious offense under multiple coordinators we all know who the common denominator is.

Tomlin wants to play 14-10 games, the problem is unlike a team like Baltimore as Bermudadumbass brings up in one of his one line brain dead defenses of Tomlin is our oline is bad year in and year out, we can’t run the ball, and our defense stays on the field too long and is exhausted and injured in the back half of the season

Last edited:
The conversation is a vortex.

Fans, who do not see the whole picture, want playoff wins and a SB win - EVERY YEAR.

We all know that Coach Tomlin is not a real strategist and he struggles, mightily, when making 'in game decisions'.

He's hired some good coaches (i.e. Brian Flores) but they don't seem to stay very long---and he's cut the fat after obvious mistakes (i.e. Matt Canada) albeit he doesn't cut the fat soon enough...

Some, here, would rather that he fail miserably (the question is for how long because one inept season should not warrant his firing) so he can be fired. Yeah, "3-14 ought to do the trick"...

Or maybe it's because Coach Tomlin can speak w/ eloquence and rarely uses ebonics???

What ever the case, he's been steady. Yep, mediocre.

None of this changes my view. I believe he has a shelf life of 2 more years and then it'll be time to move on...
There’s Bermudasteel and his agenda right there in code for all to see: if you don’t like and support Tomlin you’re a you know what…

Bermudasteel you’re a pathetic, bitter, angry dude

Our coach could be anyone from anywhere as long as he returns us to the success of Cowher and Noll and the overwhelming majority of fans feel that way. Are there a few knuckle dragging losers in the world who dislike him for his “Ebonics” as you say in code? Yes.

But you won’t find them here on this board that I’ve seen this year

I don’t care enough about what he says but you can make an argument Bermudasteel insuing posters here dislike Tomlin for his “Ebonics” deserves a vacation, but I don’t support a vacay, let it be, let him keep talking and ruining his cred here

You can call me a cuckhold or say I give **** jobs all day, but this crosses a different line

The next time Bermudasteel calls someone a cuckhold or says go get some knee pads, or whatever insult he comes up with for someone criticizing Tomlin, his post above provides a lot of context

Last edited:
Noll left it pretty full for Cowher too. That was a team restocked through the draft and Cowher took off with it. He took off with it and built upon it.
He really didn't. Cowher took over a team that was 17th in offense and 22nd in defense. Tomlin took over a team that was top 10 on both sides of the ball, future hof sb winning qb who was already 5-1 in the postseason with two AFC championship games and a sb win, two future defensive players of the year, and a hof defensive coordinator who would give him a top five defense six years in a row. Cowher didn't inherit all of that.

Tomlin has definitely adapted. When the NFL went offense crazy he was right along with that.
The Killer bees, full on offense, barely any defense.
Now he runs with defense will win championships.
He cannot find the proper balance
That's cause he can't keep inheriting sb caliber teams.

He really didn't. Cowher took over a team that was 17th in offense and 22nd in defense. Tomlin took over a team that was top 10 on both sides of the ball, future hof sb winning qb who was already 5-1 in the postseason with two AFC championship games and a sb win, two future defensive players of the year, and a hof defensive coordinator who would give him a top five defense six years in a row. Cowher didn't inherit all of that.
The players ,not the scheme. He absolutely did or Cowher would have never been able to take off like that. He wasn't winning with a bunch of bums.