• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

In CBS Article: Steelers named one of the favorites in Wentz “Sweepstakes”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are in the market for a quarterback to replace future first ballot Hall of Fame QB Ben Roethlisberger if you can’t tell by the hundreds of tweets and Facebook shares each day. One of those options might be Indianapolis Colts QB Carson Wentz. Wentz seems to check a lot of the Steelers’ boxes for what we think they are looking for in the next quarterback. He’s a veteran and he’s mobile, which have been the two favorite adjectives of HC Mike Tomlin when discussing the next starting quarterback of the black and gold!

CBS Sports shared an article this week that listed the Steelers in “The Favorites” section of the Wentz sweepstakes:

“Wentz offers some traits of a younger Ben, and his arrival wouldn’t preclude them from drafting a QB.” See the full article here.

Wentz led the Colts under center last season, finishing the 2021-22 campaign with 3,563 passing yards, 27 touchdowns and only 7 interceptions. That was good for a 94.6 QBR.

What do you think, Steeler Nation? Would Wentz be a viable option at QB next season for the Steelers’ offense? Sound off in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

What's the price tag? What would we have to give up in a trade with the Colts? What would his contract cap hit look like? All very necessary things to consider. It does trouble me that they want to unload this guy so quickly after paying dearly for him last season in the trade with the Eagles and I'll add to that if he can't make it with HC Frank Reich which has been his mentor going back to Philly, how in the hell would he make it with shades?

Can we get a list of QBs not linked to the Steelers, college or pro?

The list is certainly long and distinguished.
Anyone who might even remotely be available. Even if they aren't available.😅

We need our 1st 3 picks in this draft so if they go this way it would have to be for something less than a 3rd round pick. We should be avoiding any QB that will cost picks and significant cap hits. Restock the team in the draft and free agency and then look to draft a QB next year or the year after when it won't hurt as much giving away picks to move up in the draft for a legit 1st round QB.

I don’t want him if he were to be cut by Indy and we sign him as free agent for a reasonable price!!!

Certainly don’t want the Steelers to trade for him!!! That would be awful!!!

Absolutely not. I think his contract last year was 24 million a year. As stories go, he is inflexible to being coached or anything that might have to do with his mechanics being changed.

List of QBs who should not start for the Steelers next season:
-Mason Rudolph
-Dwayne Haskins

Free game for everyone else.
Not sure if you are serious but if you are I disagree. I think this list of retred players will at best be marginally better. You can clear a lot of cap space with Haskins or Rudolph.

Not sure if you are serious but if you are I disagree. I think this list of retred players will at best be marginally better. You can clear a lot of cap space with Haskins or Rudolph.
100% serious. Rudolph and Haskins have no excitement factor, though, I suppose starting Haskins would get the Steelers closer to drafting Young or Stroud than some of the options.

Absolutely not. I think his contract last year was 24 million a year. As stories go, he is inflexible to being coached or anything that might have to do with his mechanics being changed.
$24 mill for a starting QB is chump change. Just saying.

100% serious. Rudolph and Haskins have no excitement factor, though, I suppose starting Haskins would get the Steelers closer to drafting Young or Stroud than some of the options.
I guess I'm not into the excitement of 7 wins vs 5. If Rudolph or Haskins aren't the guy ok. But none of the FAs or trade guys are either.

I guess I'm not into the excitement of 7 wins vs 5. If Rudolph or Haskins aren't the guy ok. But none of the FAs or trade guys are either.
We know what Rudolph is. He offers no hope, not buzz factor. His teammates don't even believe in the guy. He'll also play well enough that the Steelers are somewhere in the middle. I don't think Haskins is any good. I suppose his big arm is something to be excited about. Maybe he does get you 5 wins and in the top 10. I suppose that's good.

None of the free agent factors have the "it" factor that Ben has. They won't have the same fourth quarter magic. What they can bring is better play during quarters 1-3. The QB play was not good last year. The line play was awful. Even minor improvements to either of those areas and the Steelers are still in playoff contention.

We know what Rudolph is. He offers no hope, not buzz factor. His teammates don't even believe in the guy. He'll also play well enough that the Steelers are somewhere in the middle. I don't think Haskins is any good. I suppose his big arm is something to be excited about. Maybe he does get you 5 wins and in the top 10. I suppose that's good.

None of the free agent factors have the "it" factor that Ben has. They won't have the same fourth quarter magic. What they can bring is better play during quarters 1-3. The QB play was not good last year. The line play was awful. Even minor improvements to either of those areas and the Steelers are still in playoff contention.
But is there anything out there that you could see winning a championship ever? Because I'd argue that if that answer is no, you are just bidding time trying to be entertained with faint hope.

But is there anything out there that you could see winning a championship ever? Because I'd argue that if that answer is no, you are just bidding time trying to be entertained with faint hope.
This is exactly what I'm doing. This team can't win a playoff game let alone a championship right now. I just want to be entertained and I don't believe Rudolph or Haskins will do that.

I feel I've been entertained with phony moves to keep 9 or 10 wins on the table long enough. This is an opportunity to clear the books of years of cap mismanagement pushing money off and bringing in stop gaps. Draft smart with bigs. Pay your key free agents and bring in a couple good values. Roll with Rudolph and Haskins. I think you will get 8 plus or minus two wins anyhow. If you get 6 you will be in definite 2023 draft of a qb. If you get 10 or 11 maybe you don't even need one. What more are any of these FAs gonna get you.

I feel I've been entertained with phony moves to keep 9 or 10 wins on the table long enough. This is an opportunity to clear the books of years of cap mismanagement pushing money off and bringing in stop gaps. Draft smart with bigs. Pay your key free agents and bring in a couple good values. Roll with Rudolph and Haskins. I think you will get 8 plus or minus two wins anyhow. If you get 6 you will be in definite 2023 draft of a qb. If you get 10 or 11 maybe you don't even need one. What more are any of these FAs gonna get you.
Unless someone breaks through, there really aren't any exciting QB prospects besides Young and Stroud next year.