• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Inital thoughts after titties game

Here's the thing, if Kenny progresses to where we see that 4th quarter Kenny through entire games, watch out, we'd be lethal. Considering his college progression, it may just take him time. He's shown he can do it, just needs consistency, and healthy ribs
Now we agree - so, Superbowl in 3 more years???

We actually ran the ball really well. Now let's do that again,but better next game. You'll be back to playing Big Boy Steeler ball and get your card back.

Kenny is a winner! I do want to see 4th qtr Kenny for the whole game.
How about seeing pre-season Kenny all season long??? I'll be happier w/ that...

Winnable but right now, the Ratbirds, Seachickens, and the Bungholes are all very much playoff material. You can actually add the Clowns into that mix as well. We do not have any easy schedule remaining. We could easily lose all 5 of those games. They absolutely need to beat the Packers to start and then the Colts, Cards, and Cheatriots. Then they really only need one more victory to probably make the playoffs. But, Tomlin teams always play down to their opponents so you can almost expect us to lose at least one of those 4.
Tomlin teams do not always play down to their opponents. His record for his career against teams that finished the season below .500 is really good.

Of the games left; Packers, Browns, Bengals(x2), Seahawks, Colts, Cardinals, Patriots and Raves, all are winnable …. AND all are just as easily losable. So, yeah, probably end the season right around 9-8, 10-7.
As long as last week's ref crew isn't running of these games - they're all winnable!!! We'd be 6-2 if not for that ignorance last week...

As long as last week's ref crew isn't running of these games - they're all winnable!!! We'd be 6-2 if not for that ignorance last week...
IDK Berm, it seems to be infectious, how many flags were thrown in the first quarter last night? Thought I heard them say it was a new record for a quarter of football.

Now we agree - so, Superbowl in 3 more years???

Sounds like a plan!
Next year KP is good in the 3rd and 4th quarters.
The following year KP is good in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters.
The following year KP is good in all 4 quarters = Super Bowl!

We would walk to and from the hotels back in the day. Not sure if that's still the safe thing to do at night in the big city now but no problems 20 years ago.

Be like Mick in Crocodile Dundee, Carry a REAL knife.

Salute the nation

Reactions: JMM
I liked the running game. Nice mix of Najee power and Jaylen burst and speed.

The passing game is pitiful. I know there were no sacks, but Kenny gets pressured quickly, and he's really inconsistent in his accuracy. Thank goodness the titans couldn't figure out that we were throwing 3 yard passes over and over

Pickens needs to focus better, but 2 targets is just unacceptable. He also needs to get open downfield and scream for the ball. The team is more than happy with 3 yard passes. Maybe we should have traded him.

Broderick Jones should never see the bench again.

JPJ got called for a few, also got away with a few. I thought he was really good overall.

Sucks for Holcomb, I hope it's not as bad as it seems. I feel like our trio at the 2 ILB positions has been the best we've had in many years.

Cam got away with slamming that dude. I thought for sure that was a 15 yarder. Glad to see him back.

Game of inches and microseconds: On that 32 yard 3rd down pass to Diontae on what turned out to be the game winning drive, I thought at first it was a beautiful throw... then I saw on replay that the defender slipped and fell right before the ball got there. If he hadn't slipped, it would have hit him right in the back. Probably the play of the game right there, along with the very next play where Warren changed direction, ran outside, and got to the 1.

Down 20-16, after a good punt return near midfield, the titans ran it 3 straight times, including handing it to the backup RB on 3rd and 4 for no gain, then tried to throw deep on 4th down. WTH? Thanks, turtle ballers. I often wish for other HCs to replace Tomlin, but not for Vrabel, no thank you.

What is that, 6 4th quarter comeback wins for Pickett? Yet I'm still waiting for him to impress me with a really good game. Is this offense just not capable of EVER having a passer that goes 26 of 31 for 350+ and 4 TDs, and none of that is his fault? Are my expectations too high? I'm starting to feel like his ceiling is Neil O'Donnell.

Pickens needs to keep his head in the game. Fumbled one OB, didn't toe drag an easy catch, and i think he dropped one which could have been PI. Obviously he needs more targets but needs to stay focused regardless.
I thought Pickett played solid considering they had a short week and he had rib issues. He missed a few throws, but no ints. CAIII could have caught the one that was a little underthrown. To me the biggest miss was a crossing route to Pickens which looked like it would have gained at least 20yrds and was a third down.
JPJ played well had a few mistakes, but that is too be expected. The one hold was a bogus call he looked like he just had his hand on the guys back unlike the Peterson call where Peterson had a handfull of jersey.
Jones should be starting, both RBs had good moments.
Defense was not bad, but the scheme on a few plays was terrible. For example Tenn was backed up at first and 20+ and we rush 3 while leaving a LB on Hopkins who proceeded to get a first down.
playcalling on offense was slightly better, but still a few WTF plays like wildcat from the 2.

Last edited:
QB- KP again was up and down. Missed way too many wide open receivers. But then would make an awesome throw. Accuracy and consistency needs to improve.

RB- Warren needs to get more touches. He is averaging almost a yard more than Najee. Lets at least get it 50/50. Najee had 38 and Warren had 26 last night. Lets try 32/32 a see what our run game looks like.

WR- DJ had a nice game. Pickens needs to get involved sooner. He was lethargic during that TD throw. Those over/under throws can take a receivers head right out of a game.

TE- Heyward was open all night long. Nice to see Washington get a catch but I feel he should be a redzone target. He is so big you just need to throw it high.

OL- Good to see Jones starting but I would prefer him on the left and Moore on the right.

DL- Night and Day difference with Cam. Glad to see him back. Henry didn't have much until the end of the game.

Edge- Watt was held almost every single play. Could have just thrown flags all night long but they were selective to the egregious ones. Highsmith showed some really good bend. Golden was showing he was a good FA pickup.

ILB- Hopefully Holcomb isn't out for the season but having depth of Alexander, Roberts, Robinson helps.

CB- Putting JPJ on Hopkins was a bit much. That is a tough task for a rookie. Glad they started doubling him at the end. Wallace had a nice INT knocked free by Hopkins. Rush made a great play on the ball but needs to bring that in.

S- Kazee saved a few big runs taking on Henry. That has to be a 70-80 pound difference. Neal showed he wasn't a liability. Still miss Fitz and a better team probably would have exposed the secondary more.

We got the win and that is all that matters. Guys get a few extra days now to heal up for the Peckers.

I honestly have no answers. The guy has like the top qb rating in the entire league in the 4th. Think it's like 108.9, the rest of the time it's 75.5.

We would walk to and from the hotels back in the day. Not sure if that's still the safe thing to do at night in the big city now but no problems 20 years ago.
I would walk to the Wyndham or Market Square area but the Cambria by PPG was a bit further at midnight and it being a bit cold. Staying at the Wyndham for the Cards game. Hope it is good and cold for my little brother coming from St Pete.

Still pissed at how nonchalant GP was on that beautiful throw from KP in the endzone. The ball was perfect and he had a ton of room to get both feet in. Why he took basically a full stride instead of tapping his toe a yard in bounds to guarantee the TD is just poor concentration and him trying to celebrate too soon.
The only thing I can think of ....is that Pickens thought he was still playing "between the hedges"..

We played pretty well overall and managed to beat an average team. That is who we are.
Yes---I hear ya...

But on the bright side our starting QB is not very consistent and is well below the standard currently.

If Kenny can improve his game going forward....this is an above average team for sure.

[/QUOT
I'd be happy with Najee living up to his first round status but we don't always get what we want. I will say Najee obviously has had a significant amount of time to prove himself, Kenny deserves some time as well.

On the last drive where DJ got the touchdown they had 1st and goal at the 2. The way Warren was running and Pickett was missing guys i would have ran the ball with Warren 4 times in a row. It worked out with the TD pass to DJ but if I'm playing the odds with this offense that was not the right play calls with the game on the line.

56 games in a row under 400 yards... I think it will be later rather than sooner.

The real issue is that if tge Steelers were to get, say 250 yards in the first half on offense… they probably would have a lead… and then the entire second half would be them doing run, run, pass trying to kill clock… so it’s philosophically going to be hard to get 400 yards… its going to definitely have to be several extremely great individual efforts.. it won’t be scheme

On the last drive where DJ got the touchdown they had 1st and goal at the 2. The way Warren was running and Pickett was missing guys i would have ran the ball with Warren 4 times in a row. It worked out with the TD pass to DJ but if I'm playing the odds with this offense that was not the right play calls with the game on the line.
So you are second guessing a drive that worked?

Yes exactly!

That was Warren's drive to finish...but instead they brought in the dancing bear...and he juked and jived and stumbled for no gain.

Watching the game with your parole officer?

berm still on parole,……… thought he got off two weeks ago….. that ore he went back to prison.?

Salute the nation