• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on bungles game

If we examine things fairly, Kenny Pickett hasn’t had this kind of game yet. He may never have one. Rudolph, QB3, taking no meaningful practice snaps until this week and hasn’t had a start since 2021 just played the best game by a Steelers QB since Big Ben. Does this mean he is the franchise? Obviously no. But he’s earned another start based on his performance tonight. Nothing more, nothing less.

He has earned an opportunity to play over Mitch. One game against a team missing their franchise QB and WR and playing against a spotty defense doesn't earn you a start over your starter if healthy. I highly disagree.

This team needs to see what Kenny is or draft a QB. Rudolph isn't the answer for this team. He really isn't.

No game day is exactly the same as the previous one...
Exactly which is why his odds for a repeat performance won't be as good. They had the luxury to jump to a lead, and had the running game clicking. Throw in some turnovers and one beautiful Pickens play that the back defender should have made....

I liked how he played tonight I do. It showed me he could be a capable backup. To think he is more than that is some serious wishful thinking...

Some folks should be getting a taste of crow. lol
Just a little taste... Rudy has to be able to maintain the way he played today.
There are just people that don’t understand football. Or the English language for that matter. But they talk and talk and talk but no substance actually comes out. It’s a waste of time and energy trying to try to explain things to them. They will make things up and exaggerate to try to make others look wrong. I’ve stood strong on my opinion about Rudolph. I said I don’t know what his ceiling is as he doesn’t have a lot of snaps. But his last three games now have been decent. His career has been “ok.” And I did say he’s probably the best QB on our roster. He never got a fair shot. After the Lions game Tomlin and the fans put him in the doghouse. A game where he had two game winning drives fumbled away by DJ and Freiermuth.

What Rudolph does with his opportunity I don’t know. But I think he probably has earned a chance to play out this season and probably a pay increase next year with us or maybe someone else.

There he is with his insults. **** off ********. Everyone here understands football and English just fine twatwaffling desk jockey.

If we examine things fairly, Kenny Pickett hasn’t had this kind of game yet. He may never have one. Rudolph, QB3, taking no meaningful practice snaps until this week and hasn’t had a start since 2021 just played the best game by a Steelers QB since Big Ben. Does this mean he is the franchise? Obviously no. But he’s earned another start based on his performance tonight. Nothing more, nothing less.
Exactly. I don’t think we can say he is going to be anything. But I think he deserves his opportunity finally. Give him the rest of the season to see what he does with it. If he excels then we really should try to re-sign him and give him a fair opportunity to start. If he starts to come back to earth then offer him a small contract, cut Mitch and then draft a guy to compete next year.

He has earned an opportunity to play over Mitch. One game against a team missing their franchise QB and WR and playing against a spotty defense doesn't earn you a start over your starter if healthy. I highly disagree.

This team needs to see what Kenny is or draft a QB. Rudolph isn't the answer for this team. He really isn't.
I would have said that too, but let's be realistic - Rudy is 6-4-1 as a starting QB w/ us.

We can only play the players on the field that have been selected to play as opponents. We probably have more starters on IR and that are injured than the Bungals, but yet we sweep them this season.

It took Kenny 5 years to shine at Pitt. This is Rudy's 6th year w/ the Steelers. He (Rudy) was the best QB in preseason and we all know that Coach Canada handcuffed the offense.

Rudy made great decisions tonight. No turnovers AND he threw two TDs (technically, the jet sweep could have been considered a pass as well but I'm not nitpicking).

If he gets his accuracy corrected (see Josh Allen) he may have a better story when it's all said and done.

I'm still drafting a QB in 2024 - buh bye, Mitch...

There he is with his insults. **** off ********. Everyone here understands football and English just fine twatwaffling desk jockey.
To be fair I was directly talking about you, topseed, and DICk. Everyone else is cool.

You don't bench a QB that you are trying to figure out if he is your franchise unless his play dictates a benching. A career backup shouldn't sway this thinking.

I would have said that too, but let's be realistic - Rudy is 6-4-1 as a starting QB w/ us.

We can only play the players on the field that have been selected to play as opponents. We probably have more starters on IR and that are injured than the Bungals, but yet we sweep them this season.

It took Kenny 5 years to shine at Pitt. This is Rudy's 6th year w/ the Steelers. He (Rudy) was the best QB in preseason and we all know that Coach Canada handcuffed the offense.

Rudy made great decisions tonight. No turnovers AND he threw two TDs (technically, the jet sweep could have been considered a pass as well but I'm not nitpicking).

If he gets his accuracy corrected (see Josh Allen) he may have a better story when it's all said and done.

I'm still drafting a QB in 2024 - buh bye, Mitch...
See your point should really work against you as Kenny hasn't been given that time Rudolph has. And Kenny had still shown more in the clutch. Which is for some reason being easily dismissed.

Rudy did make checks, but he also had more time. The Bengals D was very bad. Not to say Mason didnt play well, but Kenny put up 400 yrds on the Bengals as well.
But Kenny didn't put up 30 points. One game does not a quarterback make (see Flynn from Green Bay and his 5 TD debut), but the Steelers coaches have to think hard about who gives them their best chance of beating Seattle and Baltimore. Bear in mind too Kenny's Bengals game was his only full game post-Canada before his injury and maybe a better reflection of how he will play with the current OC/playcaller combo than previous games.

Attachments

• rudy.png
    rudy.png
    326.7 KB · Views: 7
There are just people that don’t understand football. Or the English language for that matter. But they talk and talk and talk but no substance actually comes out. It’s a waste of time and energy trying to try to explain things to them. They will make things up and exaggerate to try to make others look wrong. I’ve stood strong on my opinion about Rudolph. I said I don’t know what his ceiling is as he doesn’t have a lot of snaps. But his last three games now have been decent. His career has been “ok.” And I did say he’s probably the best QB on our roster. He never got a fair shot. After the Lions game Tomlin and the fans put him in the doghouse. A game where he had two game winning drives fumbled away by DJ and Freiermuth.

What Rudolph does with his opportunity I don’t know. But I think he probably has earned a chance to play out this season and probably a pay increase next year with us or maybe someone else.
Teams will be lining up to make Rudy their starter....

You don't bench a QB that you are trying to figure out if he is your franchise unless his play dictates a benching. A career backup shouldn't sway this thinking.
We know more about the quarterback Kenny is than we do about Rudolph. And Rudolph in about half the play has 5 more touchdowns and 2 less interceptions. Mason deserved the starting job in 2022. He earned it. Tomlin handed it to the QB who should have been the #3 then slapped him in the face by making Kenny #2. He did nothing but be a good teammate after that.

No matter WHAT. In his one start In the last two years he has outperformed all the games Kenny and Mitch played. And that’s a fact.

Last edited:
See your point should really work against you as Kenny hasn't been given that time Rudolph has. And Kenny had still shown more in the clutch. Which is for some reason being easily dismissed.
Usually we are in a clutch because of how he played the first 3 quarters. Pickett has yet to play a complete game and put up points effectively.

We know about the quarterback Kenny is than we do about Rudolph. And Rudolph in about half the play has 5 more touchdowns and 2 less interceptions. Mason deserved the starting job in 2022. He earned it. Tomlin handed it to the QB who should have been the #3 then slapped him in the face by making Kenny #2. He did nothing but be a good teammate after that.

No matter WHAT. In his one start I the last two years he has outperformed all the games Kenny and Mitch played. And that’s a fact.
😂

K

Teams will be lining up to make Rudy their starter....
And this is what I am talking about not understanding the English language. Reread or have your personal care assistant explain it to you.

And this is what I am talking about not understanding the English language. Reread or have your personal care assistant explain it to you.
ROTFLMFAO

Wait...Geno Smith (a previous starter - turn journeyman) turned his career around and has been absolutely ballin' this season. Rudy got his shot to resurrect his career and he shined.

I think it is very fair to say that 'we know what Kenny brings to the team'. If we haven't evaluated him in nearly two seasons of starts - something is drastically wrong. Yeah, I know, we've got new coordinators on offense; but Kenny (and Mitch) force balls into coverage which result in INTs. I've yet to see that in Rudy's game play...

He's definitely my #2 going into 2024, and that is depending on how he, if given the chance, to finish out the season...

I did give him credit. I am just not ready to over inflate his value like some are. I give him credit for a good game. I will not stamp him as a QB that should get the nod moving forward. Really fair if everything is examined.
I think he should be like that Hot a **** chick that is aa total *****. ride her(him) for a couple weeks and lettem go.

I set the trap...and you walked right into it.

Kenny is clutch because he continues to show that quarters 1 thru 3 are terrible or mediocre...

Usually we are in a clutch because of how he played the first 3 quarters. Pickett has yet to play a complete game and put up points effectively.
One game is still one game. Should the Bengals starter have been benched if healthy? Leading up to today he played better in a short period of time than Joe.

I still haven't stamped Kenny yet but I stamped Rudolph a while ago. I don't see Rudolph as a long term answer. It is what I look at in trying to figure out the future of the position. I am more interested in the teams future not squeezing out an above .500 season.