• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on bungles game

Most of their starts have been with different Co-ordinators, different O-Lines, different receivers (and the common receiver, Johnson, was a rookie for most of his games with Rudolph as starter) and in different circumstances, so you can't just use career statistics to compare them.
Definitely hard comparisons. Just one has been in the NFL a decent amount of time and still shows many of his deficiencies. The other a short time and shows many of his deficiencies.

In the end neither might be the answer. But one has seen much less time in the NFL to figure it out.

To get back to the regular scheduled programming...... Mason Cole had 9 low or botched snaps today. We had better take that Centre In the second round if available. Our punter was atrocious, bye, bye.

TJ Watt was in total beast mode. The turnovers were huge, the boys came ready to play today. Coaching had a good game plan today. For the life of me I still don’t get the non use of the TE middle of the field thing. Our Oline had a good game, minus the snaps.

Try and enjoy the win today fellas. It was nice not yelling at the tv today.
I think all the fans enjoyed the win, they should have. I definitely welcomed it after three crappy performances.

I didn't watch it. I did check out the scores.

My first thoughts were thinking back to the Steelers blowing it at home losing to the Cardinals and Patriots.

Jaylen Warren said he would block and he threw the block of the game, wow!

Pickens did what we expected him to do all season and really stepped up in a big way after a rough week.

Heck of a job by the defense with all the broken parts. Completely unreal that Roberts is now done. Three very good signings all lost for the season with injuries.

Outstanding by Rudolph today. Amazing what a difference a QB who can work the pocket can do for an offense. This should silence some of the "no QB could succeed in this offense" crowd. This team definitely needs a better mind at OC next year, but they have a QB problem to fix as well if they want to be a contender once again.

My first thoughts were thinking back to the Steelers blowing it at home losing to the Cardinals and Patriots.

Jaylen Warren said he would block and he threw the block of the game, wow!

Pickens did what we expected him to do all season and really stepped up in a big way after a rough week.

Heck of a job by the defense with all the broken parts. Completely unreal that Roberts is now done. Three very good signings all lost for the season with injuries.

Outstanding by Rudolph today. Amazing what a difference a QB who can work the pocket can do for an offense. This should silence some of the "no QB could succeed in this offense" crowd. This team definitely needs a better mind at OC next year, but they have a QB problem to fix as well if they want to be a contender once again.

His accuracy was 63 percent. He arguably worked the pocket more earlier than later.

Where Kenny usually is later. They have been trying to tweak the offense since Canada was canned. So not sure how much of this offense is the same offense. To be fair they are now constantly trying to tweak it.

For me the best point of the night was the point production. But just not sure that will be duplicated anytime soon.

So many things on this team needs solving not sure they are any closer to solving those issues. Not so sure a OC or a new QB solves them either. Not objecting to them trying just the track record suggests similar results without big changes.

His accuracy was 63 percent. He arguably worked the pocket more earlier than later.

Where Kenny usually is later. They have been trying to tweak the offense since Canada was canned. So not sure how much of this offense is the same offense. To be fair they are now constantly trying to tweak it.

For me the best point of the night was the point production. But just not sure that will be duplicated anytime soon.

So many things on this team needs solving not sure they are any closer to solving those issues. Not so sure a OC or a new QB solves them either. Not objecting to them trying just the track record suggests similar results without big changes.
Bottom line is this offense just needs average QB play an upgraded OC to be pretty good next season.

The only thing that could've been better is if Rudolph connected with DJ when he toasted Mike Hilton. I've never seen a guy so bitter to leave Pittsburgh and love when we can make him look bad.

Bottom line is this offense just needs average QB play an upgraded OC to be pretty good next season.

The only thing that could've been better is if Rudolph connected with DJ when he toasted Mike Hilton. I've never seen a guy so bitter to leave Pittsburgh and love when we can make him look bad.
What is pretty good? A .500 season, a blowout playoff loss if even that?

I want something better than pretty good. I want a team capable of being competitive in the playoffs.

They did a **** ton of off-season changes and still will more than likely miss the playoffs.

I am not so confident that a few tweaks brings different results.

I would have said that too, but let's be realistic - Rudy is 6-4-1 as a starting QB w/ us.

We can only play the players on the field that have been selected to play as opponents. We probably have more starters on IR and that are injured than the Bungals, but yet we sweep them this season.

It took Kenny 5 years to shine at Pitt. This is Rudy's 6th year w/ the Steelers. He (Rudy) was the best QB in preseason and we all know that Coach Canada handcuffed the offense.

Rudy made great decisions tonight. No turnovers AND he threw two TDs (technically, the jet sweep could have been considered a pass as well but I'm not nitpicking).

If he gets his accuracy corrected (see Josh Allen) he may have a better story when it's all said and done.

I'm still drafting a QB in 2024 - buh bye, Mitch...
I agree with most of this, but Pickett was the best QB in pre season. Pickett with the starters had a 100% TD rate. If Pickett is not 100% Mason earned another start. If Pickett is healthy i think he starts, but will have a short leash. On the flip side Mason will also have a short leash if Pickett dresses

I'm not getting my hopes up much. Seems everyone was on a high after the last Bungles game and they followed that performance with three of the worst weeks we've seen in a long time. Nice to see a blowout win against a division rival, but I have no delusions of this team doing anything significant this year.

I'm not getting my hopes up much. Seems everyone was on a high after the last Bungles game and they followed that performance with three of the worst weeks we've seen in a long time. Nice to see a blowout win against a division rival, but I have no delusions of this team doing anything significant this year.
Exactly as I said we have seen this story far too often. I read earlier they plan on extending him too.

I forgot to mention in my post. The other thing that gives me a bit of perverse pleasure about this game is the thought of the bung hole fans being absolutely miserable, like we’ve been the last 3 weeks. I’m sure they thought this was a gimme win. And of course, like here, the excuses will go nonstop.
As you might gather I really can’t stand the Bengals.

I forgot to mention in my post. The other thing that gives me a bit of perverse pleasure about this game is the thought of the bung hole fans being absolutely miserable, like we’ve been the last 3 weeks. I’m sure they thought this was a gimme win. And of course, like here, the excuses will go nonstop.
As you might gather I really can’t stand the Bengals.

Yeah their fans are horrible. Not as bad as the clowns fans. But they are up there.

Imagine the clown fans if they actually get to finish ahead of the Steelers. It won't be pretty.

Yeah their fans are horrible. Not as bad as the clowns fans. But they are up there.

Imagine the clown fans if they actually get to finish ahead of the Steelers. It won't be pretty.
If they "get to" finish ahead of the Steelers? There's actually people thinking we're going to surpass them? They have a one game lead on Pittsburgh, and they play a Houston team minus Stroud tomorrow, then the shity-azz Jets, then this Bengals team we embarrassed today. No chance the Steelers will surpass them, especially given that we likely lose at least one more game.

Indeed, it won't be pretty.

QB-
Mason had the best game a Steelers QB has had since Ben Roethlisberger. Think about that.

RB-
Najee ran hard but fizzled at the end.
Warren was held in check and almost dropped the ball literally but luckily Mason got it out of the end zone.

TE-
Where was Freiermuth?

WR-
George is a difference maker. Get him 8+ targets every game.

OL- looks better when the ball gets out on time.

edge-
Watt and Highsmith show why they are the best tandem in football. Even going into coverage.

ILB-
Roberts getting hurt really sucks. Lot of yards trying to play cover 2 with Walker and Jack.

CB-
JPJ really kept Higgins in check. Should have just kept him on him in man all game.

S-
Actually played well and wasn’t the cause of too many mistakes.

DL- did a great job stopping the run. Not too much pressure up the middle though.

It’s been over 2 years since we scored over 30 points. It’s funny how someone who reads a defense, understands where to throw the ball, and sits in the pocket and delivers changes the dynamic of the offense. We didn’t need Roethlisberger this season. We just needed a middle of the pack QB and we would be contending with the Ravens for the AFC North. But who knows maybe we can sneak into the playoffs still with our 12% chance.
Ah yes, the once-every-5-years wildcard ***-kicking!

You don't bench a QB that you are trying to figure out if he is your franchise unless his play dictates a benching. A career backup shouldn't sway this thinking.
Little early to call Kenny a career backup, in spite of his .500 ish record so far.

They'll make the holy-grail 9-8 and secure a contract extension for coach foosball.

The defense is all predicated on turnovers. They got them tonight so it was good. Keep on mind down to 4th and fifth options at ILB. Street guy and an old corner at safety. Heyward is really showing age.

So why did the offense have success tonight? 😂

It could be for the same reason we had success against the Bengals the last time. The last time we won a game as a matter of fact.

Since it's been said many times around here that all three QB's are all out of the same mold, as a Rudy cheerleader it's a little deflating to think that Mitch may have done well yesterday too.

It would have been more gratifying had we played someone other than the Bengals yesterday.

Last edited:
Pickens....great game...but you still gotta block when called upon

rudy, solid game missed a few deep shots but overall very good....yes it hurts to post that

at least for tonight Najee>Warren

harvin??? where the **** are the punts you did in preseason

Defense - one hell of a game 3 sacks, 3 ints, a forced fumble - Mixon could not get going, they totally shut down the running game

Roberts with a pectoral injury is likely gone for the season

overall great game nice to not be sweating out the end of the game..not sure how to react when my blood pressure isn't sky high after the game

Go Chargers
Why isn’t anyone talking about how ineffective a coach Mike Tomlin is?

It could be for the same reason we had success against the Bengals the last time. The last time we won a game as a matter of fact.

Since it's been said many times around here that all three QB's are all out of the same mold, as a Rudy cheerleader it's a little deflating to think that Mitch may have done well yesterday too.

It would have been more gratifying had we played someone other than the Bengals yesterday.
16 points was not success. We got into the end zone 4 times last night. Scored over 30 for the first time since Ben Roethlisberger. We literally ran the clock out in the 4th qt and only attempted 3 passes.

Bottom line we don’t know what Rudolph is capable of. He has less attempts than Pickett. But if you take his last 3 starts he’s 60% 885 yards 7 Y/A 5/2 with an 87.5 QB rating. That rating would put him middle of the pack. And that’s all we really need with the running game and defense.

Rudy made more checks to multiple WRs, tonight, than Kenny has all season.

[NOTE] - I'm watching the game from the start now. His slant pass to George was absolutely perfect. This, BTW, is not me bashing Kenny - I just see Rudy as more talented, right now.

Rudy’s 2.5 years of bench, combined with his work hard ethic and not a quitter mentality…… has gotten him here and that is a huge up-grade from where he was way back then.

One of the biggest things he seemed to fix was his “happy feet”, seemed to hold in and make plays way better than back when.

I’m obviously glad for the improvement as it helps the team and this team needed help at the position played.

Salute the nation

You don't bench a QB that you are trying to figure out if he is your franchise unless his play dictates a benching. A career backup shouldn't sway this thinking.
Nobody is saying rudolph is the long term answer.
The facts are
Rudolph played the best we've seen at qb since 2021 with ben, and its not even close.
He showed what George is capable with a competent QB.
He showed good qb play could overcome a bad scheme and bad coaching in pittsburgh.
Mason showed confidence and poise for 4 quarters of football.
He showed accuracy and decision making along with the heart to lower his shoulder through 3 defenders for a first down.
Kenny has shown none of this for almost 2 seasons.
124qbr with nearly 300yds and 2 td.
Kenny has 2 td game once in his entire career. Mason has 1 in his first start.

Kenny has been mediocre at best and has handcuffed the offense for nearly 2 years.
Kenny has never had a game like mason had yesterday.
WHat did Kenny do against the bengals? 0 td and a buch of checkdowns. Riding the run game who had the best day of the year.
A TD every other game is not gonna cut it on any team from pop warner to the nfl.
If you did't see a different offense with mason in there you either didn't watch the game or you are lying to yourself, or you are just trying to save face to uphold a narrative.

Nobody is saying rudolph is the long term answer.
The facts are
Rudolph played the best we've seen at qb since 2021 with ben, and its not even close.
He showed what George is capable with a competent QB.
He showed good qb play could overcome a bad scheme and bad coaching in pittsburgh.
Mason showed confidence and poise for 4 quarters of football.
He showed accuracy and decision making along with the heart to lower his shoulder through 3 defenders for a first down.
Kenny has shown none of this for almost 2 seasons.
124qbr with nearly 300yds and 2 td.
Kenny has 2 td game once in his entire career. Mason has 1 in his first start.

Kenny has been mediocre at best and has handcuffed the offense for nearly 2 years.
Kenny has never had a game like mason had yesterday.
WHat did Kenny do against the bengals? 0 td and a buch of checkdowns. Riding the run game who had the best day of the year.
A TD every other game is not gonna cut it on any team from pop warner to the nfl.
If you did't see a different offense with mason in there you either didn't watch the game or you are lying to yourself, or you are just trying to save face to uphold a narrative.
I can agree with most of this but to say KP didn't show heart is just ridiculous. KP has shown plenty of heart, especially in his handful of come-from-behind wins late in games.