• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on Colts Game

Well….it’s not going to be a sky is falling type of week for me. Yes it was a winnable game. But I mean in all seriousness we are not going undefeated,and history has shown we do lose these type of games. I actually expected this the last game or two. So I am definitely happy with a 3-1 start. Yes there were a lot of what if’s in this game. I prefer to talk about what actually happened.

The team came out flat. Our D….that usually sets the tone for our team came out horribly flat. And our offense followed. I don’t think we got a first down till the 3rd or 4th series. The previous 3 games we came out with a lot of effort and energy. This game we didn’t.
Someone in the game thread said Cam was having a great game. I disagree. They had a rookie center in playing his first snaps. I thought Cam would feed today. He didn’t. Johnathon Taylor and Richardson were running at will in the first half. The drop by Pickens hurt badly. Many said TJ was being held all the time. He was not. Their tackle played a great game on him. Give him credit. TJ was a non factor. Quick passes killed us. Our secondary gave up too much. Don’t get me wrong. I like Joey Portor Jr.
But the reason I was screaming for Brian Branch was because the guy is a play maker and one of the best tacklers.

Many were calling for Wilson to replace Justin. Justin almost brought them back. He has certainly changed my opinion,and so far has proven himself in my eyes. They have to let him toss in the end zone.

When Patterson started those runs before he got injured the whole team picked up off the energy. You could feel it. After he got injured and Naj came back it just deflated. I’m not a Naj hater. But this is what I see all the time with him. And yes he has some good efforts as well. But is so,so inconsistent. Say what you want. That ******* not going out of bounds was inexcusable. Just a joke of a play. And if I was coach….bench able material. I was pissed-off there. But of course we have no one else right now.

Say whatever you want about Dallas and Dak. They can put up yards and points. We better be ready in the old prime time game slot.

Not trying to play tge blame Tomlin card, but we are tied at the end if he just punts at the 40 in the first ******* quarter
I always chuckle at these kind of posts. The whole situation in the game would have changed had the Steelers punted at that point.. Plays would have been totally different.

Patterson needs to see more touches with the football in the run game! Najee needs to take a back seat to Patterson!

Same if Porter catches the gimme interception in the end zone.

Lots of what ifs today..

Yeah, that's why I'm not really upset about this loss.. two freak fumbles... several scores given up that easily should have been stops
A couple panic coaching decisions... dumb snaps ... this wasnt a talent or scheme , it was a bad game with some bad bounces and near misses...

Forget it and on to the next game

I always chuckle at these kind of posts. The whole situation in the game would have changed had the Steelers punted at that point.. Plays would have been totally different.
Fair but it was a very poor panic decision.. and the wrong decision that early in the game..

Same if Porter catches the gimme interception in the end zone.

Lots of what ifs today..
Maybe it is the 24 on his jersey that caused it. It killed Ike for years, I would have made him choose a different number. Maybe they force him to wear 26 or 47 next year, so the mojo gives him some help.

Well, Maybe not the 47, he plays too much like Wheezy at times. No reason to taint that number.

Last edited:
Well….it’s not going to be a sky is falling type of week for me. Yes it was a winnable game. But I mean in all seriousness we are not going undefeated,and history has shown we do lose these type of games. I actually expected this the last game or two. So I am definitely happy with a 3-1 start. Yes there were a lot of what if’s in this game. I prefer to talk about what actually happened.

The team came out flat. Our D….that usually sets the tone for our team came out horribly flat. And our offense followed. I don’t think we got a first down till the 3rd or 4th series. The previous 3 games we came out with a lot of effort and energy. This game we didn’t.
Someone in the game thread said Cam was having a great game. I disagree. They had a rookie center in playing his first snaps. I thought Cam would feed today. He didn’t. Johnathon Taylor and Richardson were running at will in the first half. The drop by Pickens hurt badly. Many said TJ was being held all the time. He was not. Their tackle played a great game on him. Give him credit. TJ was a non factor. Quick passes killed us. Our secondary gave up too much. Don’t get me wrong. I like Joey Portor Jr.
But the reason I was screaming for Brian Branch was because the guy is a play maker and one of the best tacklers.

Many were calling for Wilson to replace Justin. Justin almost brought them back. He has certainly changed my opinion,and so far has proven himself in my eyes. They have to let him toss in the end zone.

When Patterson started those runs before he got injured the whole team picked up off the energy. You could feel it. After he got injured and Naj came back it just deflated. I’m not a Naj hater. But this is what I see all the time with him. And yes he has some good efforts as well. But is so,so inconsistent. Say what you want. That ******* not going out of bounds was inexcusable. Just a joke of a play. And if I was coach….bench able material. I was pissed-off there. But of course we have no one else right now.

Say whatever you want about Dallas and Dak. They can put up yards and points. We better be ready in the old prime time game slot.
If this team can 3 and 1 the rest of the way, probably could deal with that.

Let us see how they bounce back next week.

i'm not totally against the decision

but the play call was idiotic
I have a hard time criticizing a decision made to win a game. Playing not to lose is a totally different situation though.

Patterson got all his yards on one drive in the 2nd quarter, down 17-0... the drive that ended with the Pickens fumble. The Colts D did not expect us to run the ball over and over on that drive.

Absolutely... great job by Patterson on that drive. But come on, people. Just because we surprised them with several runs in a passing situation doesn't mean Patterson is great and Najee sucks.

So many of Najee's carries are into a stacked box in obvious-to-everyone running play calls.

I remember when Richard Huntley had a better YPC than Bettis, and a lot of people wanted Huntley to be our feature back and Bettis benched. Our Najee haters remind me of those people.

When Najee walks after the season, I will wish him well, but hope he suddenly isn't the best RB in the league because he finds himself on a team that understands offensive football.

I also hope we aren't left with Jaylen Warren getting constantly rag-dolled as our feature back, with someone new being the backup RB fan darling.

Patterson got all his yards on one drive in the 2nd quarter, down 17-0... the drive that ended with the Pickens fumble. The Colts D did not expect us to run the ball over and over on that drive.

Absolutely... great job by Patterson on that drive. But come on, people. Just because we surprised them with several runs in a passing situation doesn't mean Patterson is great and Najee sucks.

So many of Najee's carries are into a stacked box in obvious-to-everyone running play calls.

I remember when Richard Huntley had a better YPC than Bettis, and a lot of people wanted Huntley to be our feature back and Bettis benched. Our Najee haters remind me of those people.

When Najee walks after the season, I will wish him well, but hope he suddenly isn't the best RB in the league because he finds himself on a team that understands offensive football.

I also hope we aren't left with Jaylen Warren getting constantly rag-dolled as our feature back, with someone new being the backup RB fan darling.
Where Najee truly sucked was not running out of bounds. Inexcusable.

Not trying to play tge blame Tomlin card, but we are tied at the end if he just punts at the 40 in the first ******* quarter
That was a pure living in your fears emotional response. There was no need to panic like that at that point in the game.

It is what it is, a great coach once said.

Najee isn't the best RB in the league but he certainly isn't the worst back either. His biggest crime isn't his fault - we made him a first round pick!

That was a pure living in your fears emotional response. There was no need to panic like that at that point in the game.
living in your fears would be just punting late in a game in that situation

taking a shot on that down is the opposite of "living in your fears" that was expecting your team to be able to pick it up or the defense would do their job and hold them there.

the play call was idiotic

hell line up under center, do the QB sneak or hand off to the RB or hell fake the hand off and hit at TE on a quick slant