• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on Colts Game

living in your fears would be just punting late in a game in that situation

taking a shot on that down is the opposite of "living in your fears" that was expecting your team to be able to pick it up or the defense would do their job and hold them there.
I though it was way too early in the game for that kind of desperation.

1. Botched snap. I always look at the rest of the line. When they all move together then the QB is clearly on a different page than those 5 in front of him. Hard to managing that all 5 made the same mistake. On this one, I didn't get to see a replay on if the line moved off together but that's always a good indicator for who bears the blame.

2. Najee. He doesn't know what he is (a big power back) and he doesn't know what he isn't (a shifty, quick accelerating elusive back). He insists on running in a style that he is not suited for and he refuses to run in the manner he should.People compared him to Derek Henry. Only in physical size does he bear even a remote resemblance to Derek Henry. Najee is also good for a few boneheaded decisions per game. Not getting out of bounds on that short sideline pass is inexcusable. Just dumb.

3. Fields. Love his arm and he can make some great throws. But that arm isn't translating into much of a passing game. Is it his processing? Partially, I think it is. I also think this offense is running some high school level, simple routes that a college defense could anticipate and cover.

4. Arthur Smith. Thus far, I am not impressed with his offense. We can't run over people with an anticipated smash mouth running game and the passing game is overly simplistic. Why, WHY can this organization not put a respectable offense on the field for the ...th year in a row?????

Meh, it was bound to happen. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers we’re talking about. This is kind of a semi-normal event for the Steelers. Frankly, I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner.

1. Botched snap. I always look at the rest of the line. When they all move together then the QB is clearly on a different page than those 5 in front of him. Hard to managing that all 5 made the same mistake. On this one, I didn't get to see a replay on if the line moved off together but that's always a good indicator for who bears the blame.

2. Najee. He doesn't know what he is (a big power back) and he doesn't know what he isn't (a shifty, quick accelerating elusive back). He insists on running in a style that he is not suited for and he refuses to run in the manner he should.People compared him to Derek Henry. Only in physical size does he bear even a remote resemblance to Derek Henry. Najee is also good for a few boneheaded decisions per game. Not getting out of bounds on that short sideline pass is inexcusable. Just dumb.

3. Fields. Love his arm and he can make some great throws. But that arm isn't translating into much of a passing game. Is it his processing? Partially, I think it is. I also think this offense is running some high school level, simple routes that a college defense could anticipate and cover.

4. Arthur Smith. Thus far, I am not impressed with his offense. We can't run over people with an anticipated smash mouth running game and the passing game is overly simplistic. Why, WHY can this organization not put a respectable offense on the field for the ...th year in a row?????
To your 4th point, if the OLine ain't clicking there's no chance to run the ball. With all the moving pieces and young players I get it will take some time. Can't blame Smith on it

1. Botched snap. I always look at the rest of the line. When they all move together then the QB is clearly on a different page than those 5 in front of him. Hard to managing that all 5 made the same mistake. On this one, I didn't get to see a replay on if the line moved off together but that's always a good indicator for who bears the blame. - pretty sure that was on Frazier....the OL moved on the snap

2. Najee. He doesn't know what he is (a big power back) and he doesn't know what he isn't (a shifty, quick accelerating elusive back). He insists on running in a style that he is not suited for and he refuses to run in the manner he should.People compared him to Derek Henry. Only in physical size does he bear even a remote resemblance to Derek Henry. Najee is also good for a few boneheaded decisions per game. Not getting out of bounds on that short sideline pass is inexcusable. Just dumb. Najee sucked today

3. Fields. Love his arm and he can make some great throws. But that arm isn't translating into much of a passing game. Is it his processing? Partially, I think it is. I also think this offense is running some high school level, simple routes that a college defense could anticipate and cover. well Fields threw for 312 yards today (and rushed fr 55 more with 2 TDs) he was not the problem

To your 4th point, if the OLine ain't clicking there's no chance to run the ball. With all the moving pieces and young players I get it will take some time. Can't blame Smith on it
Yep. Dan Moore is still playing LT. Their best OL, Seumalo, is out and Spencer Anderson is his replacement. Frazier is a rookie. Daniels left the game and left another rookie in McCormick starting. Broderick Jones isn't playing well at all and we don't have Fautanu to step in the rest of the season.

that was not "desparation"

but again the play call sucked
40 seconds left in the 1st quarter on your side of the 50 down only 14. He didn't believe in punting and letting the D go to work, yet knowing that if you don't get the 1st you've put the D that you don't believe in in a terrible spot. That screams of desperation. He knew there were plenty of possessions left for the offense at that point in the game.

Call it what you will.

Ok after I sat on it a little:

Mike just don’t want to see fourth and 1 attempts on the Steelers side of the field. No thank you unless it is the last drive and there is no choice.

Najee isn’t seeing the holes. His vision is suspect.
You can’t have your starting RB having these type of games.

Why is a rookie G telling a rookie C when it is time to snap it? Biggest gaffe that initialallypresented in training camp needs to be figured out.

I think Fields takes too long to process plays and doesn’t either see the entire field or trust himself in certain situations. Nothing that can’t be improved on.

Yeah I realize things won’t always go your way but the D underperformed. TJ had a quiet game and the secondary had a not so quiet game. Coincidence? The secondary needs some work. While we are on the subject we need a vet inside corner.

Van should be down by the river. The two weaknesses I pointed out before the season is drumroll still a weakness. Team needs to tweak the roster.

Little disappointed that this team isn’t smarter. Sh!t happened and there will be losses. But dumb and sloppy won’t get you far if you want something beyond the ground hog day.

Ok after I sat on it a little:

Mike just don’t want to see fourth and 1 attempts on the Steelers side of the field. No thank you unless it is the last drive and there is no choice.

Najee isn’t seeing the holes. His vision is suspect.
You can’t have your starting RB having these type of games.

Why is a rookie G telling a rookie C when it is time to snap it? Biggest gaffe that initialallypresented in training camp needs to be figured out.

I think Fields takes too long to process plays and doesn’t either see the entire field or trust himself in certain situations. Nothing that can’t be improved on.

Yeah I realize things won’t always go your way but the D underperformed. TJ had a quiet game and the secondary had a not so quiet game. Coincidence? The secondary needs some work. While we are on the subject we need a vet inside corner.

Van should be down by the river. The two weaknesses I pointed out before the season is drumroll still a weakness. Team needs to tweak the roster.

Little disappointed that this team isn’t smarter. Sh!t happened and there will be losses. But dumb and sloppy won’t get you far if you want something beyond the ground hog day.
They've used that tap system on the road for years. Since both Seamalu and Daniels were out, you had a choice of either McCormick or Anderson giving the tap. Not ideal, but, that's what they were left with.

40 seconds left in the 1st quarter on your side of the 50 down only 14. He didn't believe in punting and letting the D go to work, yet knowing that if you don't get the 1st you've put the D that you don't believe in in a terrible spot. That screams of desperation. He knew there were plenty of possessions left for the offense at that point in the game.

Call it what you will.
but you first stated it was living in his fears, now it is desperation

I still don't think it was either

still early in the game, you trust your defense to hold if your offense screws the pooch.

lots of possessions left to make up for it....and they almost did

Yep. Dan Moore is still playing LT. Their best OL, Seumalo, is out and Spencer Anderson is his replacement. Frazier is a rookie. Daniels left the game and left another rookie in McCormick starting. Broderick Jones isn't playing well at all and we don't have Fautanu to step in the rest of the season.
I will say one thing. Once again Dan Moore was far from the problem on the OLine. Say what you want. He has stepped it up this season so far. And deserves credit.
Latu,the Colts first rounder End was lined up on him and I thought it would be a good test. He did just fine.

Edit…….with all the injuries we’ve had on the line we’re lucky they kept him. The only ****** thing is….i want Jones on the left side. I’m afraid they’ll ruin this kid. I was listening to an old tackle being interviewed about this. He said for some switching sides is like going from being right handed to being left handed. It’s not as easy as people think it is.
Cheers all.

My initial thoughts are that I don't like feeling like Pickens might be a punk. He's always looking for someone to block, or rather not block, on running plays.

My biggest thought. Preseason is over. NFL teams sit everyone in preseason which has made the first 3 weeks of the regular season look sloppy like the preseason. Now you will see offenses start to hit their stride. That's a big part of what caught the steelers off guard. From opening whistle, they faced a full speed, regular season offense. They weren't ready for it.

The defense missed Highsmith but that's not an excuse. The Colts didn't come out with some new playbook. They just did what they always do. In the first quarter that was just the defense getting their butts whipped. Outmuscled. At least the defense did mostly get their act together. They can't get by playing 40 minutes.

Najee looks like late career Bettis. The guy who came in for short yardage, and as relief to Willie Parker. Warren and Patterson need a crease. Najee needs a hole and with the injuries on this OL, those are few and far between.

They need to do less play action. Fields appears to be much less effective when he has to take his eyes off the defense and then try to reaquire his receivers. Scrap the pistol formation. Go almost all shotgun with RPO play fakes so Fields can keep his eyes on the defense.

This early debacle could prove to be a blessing in disguise. Until now they've been protecting Fields. Keeping everything simple. Today they saw that they need to do the opposite. Open things up. Spread out the defense so Fields has better running lanes if nobody is open (which happens all too often).

Is Roman Wilson in the doghouse? He's been a healthy scratch. How about giving him a shot so that we may have somebody besides Pickens that can get open.

This is a game that a strong team finds a way to come back to winZ

This team has talent, but they continue to be poorly coached, mistakes, penalties etc.

The schedule only gets harder..

They need to let Fields throw the ball down field more often.

Harris just is avg at best lately.

A shout out to Corliss Waitman for stepping in and hitting some booming punts

I think the play calling was pretty bad in general. The one play I dont think the chargers had anyone deeper than 5 yrds off the line and we try to run. I dont mind trying to run early, but it was not working at all. We should have switched to QB runs / passes early on. Fields did not have much chance the first half. The line did not play well today but we had a ton of injuries. The defense really crapped the bed. We could not cover Pitman, downs, or get any pressure. Part of that goes to play calling as well. We let Flacco off the hook on I think 3 consecutive 3rd and longs in critical situations. The team also could not capitalize on any miscues. Not going to win many games down 17-0 and -2 on turnovers.

Actually, McCormick got the start.

Salute the nation

Anderson was Seumalo's original replacement to start the season.

Yes SIR, But today it was McCormick, Anderson went in when Danials went down……… I think that was what I heard.

Salute the nation