• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on Colts Game

Fair but it was a very poor panic decision.. and the wrong decision that early in the game..

Again, players can learn and grow. In two seasons and 26 games " Happy feet" took 50 total sacks

In fields first two seasons, he started 25 games and took 91 sacks...

His third year he took 44 in 13 games...

People bitched about him running too early into sacks...

He is on pace for 22 in 17 games this year...

Steeler fans here at the bar are calling for Russ.

You know part of me didn’t like it, but the other part of me thought we’re getting our ******* ***** kicked anyhow which is what Tomlin thought so **** it

Patterson got all his yards on one drive in the 2nd quarter, down 17-0... the drive that ended with the Pickens fumble. The Colts D did not expect us to run the ball over and over on that drive.

Absolutely... great job by Patterson on that drive. But come on, people. Just because we surprised them with several runs in a passing situation doesn't mean Patterson is great and Najee sucks.

So many of Najee's carries are into a stacked box in obvious-to-everyone running play calls.

I remember when Richard Huntley had a better YPC than Bettis, and a lot of people wanted Huntley to be our feature back and Bettis benched. Our Najee haters remind me of those people.

When Najee walks after the season, I will wish him well, but hope he suddenly isn't the best RB in the league because he finds himself on a team that understands offensive football.

I also hope we aren't left with Jaylen Warren getting constantly rag-dolled as our feature back, with someone new being the backup RB fan darling.
Come on. Don’t compare Najee to Bettis. Just walk up to Bettis and slap him in the face why don’t ya? Najee has ZERO vision and gets stonewalled constantly. He is a run-of-the-mill guy. Easily replaced. The team made a wise decision not extending him.

4. Arthur Smith. Thus far, I am not impressed with his offense. We can't run over people with an anticipated smash mouth running game and the passing game is overly simplistic. Why, WHY can this organization not put a respectable offense on the field for the ...th year in a row?????
Smith is being hamstrung by Tomlin’s philosophy. Smith works for TOMLIN, and does not seem to have carte blanche to run things his own way. When the same issues are being seen over a period of multiple years and multiple QB’s, you have to ask, “Do I really believe that it has been EVERY OC during that time period”?

The same can be asked about the Defense.

Last edited:
To your 4th point, if the OLine ain't clicking there's no chance to run the ball. With all the moving pieces and young players I get it will take some time. Can't blame Smith on it
The Colts defense came in ranked at or near the bottom of the league in rush defense. I think this shows that even a team not very good at defending the run can stop it if you don't burn them for stacking the box. The Colts showed this by taking aggressive shots right out of the blocks and negating our "good" run defense. Instead, we stubbornly stick to conservative play which has very little chance against a defense that is already so close to the LOS. Reminds me of Coach Boone in Remember the Titans and his refusal to change his philosophy when the other coach clearly had his number in the championship game. He eventually changed in time, we usually don't until it's way too late. This is why we get down so early many times in games. The coach says we don't live in our fears but it seems the only one allowed to take chances is him. He will let himself make risky calls from the sideline but not allow his players to play aggressively for fear of turnovers early. Statistically I guess this bears out over time causing no losing seasons but it just doesn't translate to top of the league success.

Smith is being hamstrung by Tomlin’s philosophy. Smith works for TOMLIN, and does not seem to have carte blanche to run things his own way. When the same issues are being seen over a period of multiple years and multiple QB’s, you have to ask, “Do I really believe that it has been EVERY OC during that time period”?

The same can be asked about the Defense.

^^^THIS^^^

The constant, has a lot of strengths, but his game philosophy is extremely questionable and a “tired” practice.

Salute the nation

Bottom line is …
They came out ready and punched us in the mouth…. More than once.
By the time we cleared our heads … it was too late.
Football is still decided by emotion and physicality at its basic level ..
Simple as that.

The NFL has negated a lot of the physicality and the defense too. Add in the ST’s as well.

It’s an offensive league, and hugely favored in that direction………..to the point of defensive players being neutralized from their physicality. TJ WATT is a prime example.

Salute the nation

That ******* sucked

Supid penalties, Stupid turnovers, not much pressure or tackling or coverage on defense

definitely Najee's worst rushing game probably in his lifetime

Fields looked bad in the first half, but had some good drives in the second. seemed better at deciding when to just let his feet do the work 3 TD drives thamn the **** up on the snap on the last drive...damn

the D made it easy on richardson and flacco...letting them play catch with wide open receviers the whole game

this loss is on the D

3-1 is great, but damn
Agreed. George's fumble pissed me off too...

Bad coaching nearly from start to finish.

Defense laid an egg today. Allowed Joe Flacco to throw for 2 TDs and couldn't get a big stop in the second half.

Fields showed a lot more in the second half after a rough first by the offense. Basically no help from the OL or running game once Patterson went out. Pickens with a critical fumble that cost the team points and a dropped TD.

A clean game by the Steelers, they win despite the 17-0 deficit. Coaching and injuries mounted along with the lack of execution. They could've won, but earned a loss with the sloppiness.
I love Frazier but WTH is going on w/ him snapping the ball before Justin is ready for it??? This has happened MULTIPLE times in this short season.

**** the missed 4th down conversion - that snap was the nail in the coffin to a potential comeback. 🙁🙁🙁

Adamski reported Daniels was in a walking booth and on crutches. What was Najee's excuse before the injury because Patterson was shredding that same defense?
I don't think it's an excuse. Bama homer or not. Najee has ALWAYS been a second half hammer. I will agree that losing Daniels and Issac on the OL has hurt a lot but we need to get that 1-2 punch back in some form or another...

IMO, missing Warren is biting the offense. He's the lightning to Najee's thunder. Shampklin isn't a Najee nor is he a Warren. Patterson is an aging football player - but knows this offense since he's been in it for so long. Hopefully he's ok.

I was hoping our offense would be absolutely pounding the ball with more passes to Muth. He has 20 targets and 17 catches in four games, and isn't doing terribly. But could be doing more...if the run game was working. And if the run game is working, then things are easier on Fields.

While Fields wasn't the problem yesterday, he does seem like he's holding back. Part of that might be because of his time in Chicago, though. The botched snaps weren't on him. I do believe that Wilson would have just fallen on the long loss instead, though. But I also do not believe Wilson could make any difference in how the offense operates. Russ would be taking sacks that Fields' legs keep him from taking. If Justin was throwing picks, fumbling and looking totally lost, then Russ might get a shot.

Defense was atrocious yesterday. Richardson and Taylor were doing what they wanted. Then Flacco was pissed off that he couldnt (again) collect a free paycheck so he made us his *****.

Same if Porter catches the gimme interception in the end zone.

Lots of what ifs today..
On that note...

I have always known that 'if your forearm is on the ground - the ball is down' - how in the hell did the refs call Justin's sack a fumble as well???

Patterson got all his yards on one drive in the 2nd quarter, down 17-0... the drive that ended with the Pickens fumble. The Colts D did not expect us to run the ball over and over on that drive.

Absolutely... great job by Patterson on that drive. But come on, people. Just because we surprised them with several runs in a passing situation doesn't mean Patterson is great and Najee sucks.

So many of Najee's carries are into a stacked box in obvious-to-everyone running play calls.

I remember when Richard Huntley had a better YPC than Bettis, and a lot of people wanted Huntley to be our feature back and Bettis benched. Our Najee haters remind me of those people.

When Najee walks after the season, I will wish him well, but hope he suddenly isn't the best RB in the league because he finds himself on a team that understands offensive football.

I also hope we aren't left with Jaylen Warren getting constantly rag-dolled as our feature back, with someone new being the backup RB fan darling.
Winner. And thank you...

1. Botched snap. I always look at the rest of the line. When they all move together then the QB is clearly on a different page than those 5 in front of him. Hard to managing that all 5 made the same mistake. On this one, I didn't get to see a replay on if the line moved off together but that's always a good indicator for who bears the blame.

2. Najee. He doesn't know what he is (a big power back) and he doesn't know what he isn't (a shifty, quick accelerating elusive back). He insists on running in a style that he is not suited for and he refuses to run in the manner he should.People compared him to Derek Henry. Only in physical size does he bear even a remote resemblance to Derek Henry. Najee is also good for a few boneheaded decisions per game. Not getting out of bounds on that short sideline pass is inexcusable. Just dumb.

3. Fields. Love his arm and he can make some great throws. But that arm isn't translating into much of a passing game. Is it his processing? Partially, I think it is. I also think this offense is running some high school level, simple routes that a college defense could anticipate and cover.

4. Arthur Smith. Thus far, I am not impressed with his offense. We can't run over people with an anticipated smash mouth running game and the passing game is overly simplistic. Why, WHY can this organization not put a respectable offense on the field for the ...th year in a row?????
Responses to #3 & #4

Fields is not 'there' yet but the kid threw for over 300 yards yesterday and he didn't throw an INT. That's respectable QB play.

He's playing behind an OL that has been assembled thru adversity - Dan Moore Jr (LT), McCormick (LG), Frazier (C), Anderson (RG) and Jones (RT). I wonder what the running looks like once we have the real guys out there??? Which then answers #2 - except for Najee's bad decision in crunch time...

The offensive game plans have been different for every game this season and like it's been said - Patterson looked excellent running against the light boxes Indy had out there when we were down 17-0 because they felt we'd pass the ball. That drive was when Najee was getting a breather BTW.

The sky is not falling and life will go on. I called 4 losses this season and I hope I'm right...

The NFL has negated a lot of the physicality and the defense too. Add in the ST’s as well.

It’s an offensive league, and hugely favored in that direction………..to the point of defensive players being neutralized from their physicality. TJ WATT is a prime example.

Salute the nation
What I saw was a big, physical, and focused offensive line impose their will at the line of scrimmage, and be the bully yesterday ..
BTW… they all had horseshoes on their helmets..

It was almost as if it was a concerted team effort to lose in all phases. Putting my tinfoil hat aside, I doubt Tomlin could plan to lose as badly as he did.

Losing Daniels will be a big blow to the consistency on the offensive line and running game the rest of the way.

I imagine Vegas made bank on this game. More losers in survivor pools as well.

Park this one in the goldfish memory bank. On to the Cowboys.

Salute the nation
I agree with this for the most part except for the fact that WRs seem to have to fight through alot of beforehand contact this year. DBs seem to be able to wrap around the neck, chest, and waist well before the ball gets there. I remember in the past where any contact at all constituted PI. Seemed like it happened to Pickens more than once this game.

I agree with this for the most part except for the fact that WRs seem to have to fight through alot of beforehand contact this year. DBs seem to be able to wrap around the neck, chest, and waist well before the ball gets there. I remember in the past where any contact at all constituted PI. Seemed like it happened to Pickens more than once this game.

That scenario is exactly in the game plan for KC Chiefs DBs. Watch them play and you'll see murder and funeral without a flag on them. Also realize the chiefs get the special treatment along the way.

Salute the nation

I live here. I talked a lot of **** leading up to this game. But I forgot the golden rule: Never underestimate Tomlin’s ability to choke against an inferior team.
I'm not sure that Indy is that inferior to the Steelers. Both are probably borderline playoff teams this season.

I love Frazier but WTH is going on w/ him snapping the ball before Justin is ready for it??? This has happened MULTIPLE times in this short season.

**** the missed 4th down conversion - that snap was the nail in the coffin to a potential comeback. 🙁🙁🙁
The snap really shouldn't be happening until the QB gives a signal putting the issue on Fields. No matter who is at fault, it needs to be corrected immediately.

I don't think it's an excuse. Bama homer or not. Najee has ALWAYS been a second half hammer. I will agree that losing Daniels and Issac on the OL has hurt a lot but we need to get that 1-2 punch back in some form or another...
Harris doesn't have great vision and doesn't always hit the hole hard. He runs better when he has a chip on his shoulder and given the criticism he faced after the game and will face throughout the week, I believe he'll have a huge game against the Cowboys.

1) The defense shlt the bed out of the gate and put the team in a hole. I think we can safely move on from the "this is one of the best defenses of all-time" hyperbole I was hearing last week. Watt was invisible today -- was he sick or something? Heyward has to bring a 39-year-old Flacco to the ground on that play late in the third quarter...instead the Colts converted the 3rd-and-10 with 12 yards on the next play. Steelers had just scored a TD to make it 17-10, and Indianapolis went on to paydirt on that drive to extend the lead back to 14.

2) Fields and the offense showed resilience in coming back and making a game out of it. They had the ball late with a chance to win, and had already made a couple of first downs before the disastrous ill-timed snap. Frazier and Fields have to get this shlt worked out. Between the bobbled exchanges under center, to stepping on the QB's feet, to hitting the guy in the facemask with the snap while he's looking elsewhere, these unforced errors have to stop. And the latest one might have (probably?) cost them the game today.

3) It's extremely difficult to lose the turnover battle by 2 and still win on the road in the NFL. Pickens is such a polarizing player. Love his talent, but damn, man...you just fumbled in the red zone -- you don't need to perform a stupid demonstration after every first down. How about you score a goddamn touchdown this season before celebrating every 10 yard pass completion? The Fields fumble was brutal, but's let's also acknowledge that there were two COMPLETELY unblocked defenders after him from the snap of the ball. A corner coming from one side, and a linebacker from the other. Untouched. How does that happen?

4) All in all, the loss sucks, but we know the defense will have better days. I think Fields showed that he can bring this team back from behind and not just be a game manager, which was encouraging. If they can put it all together when it counts, I think the Steelers can be dangerous.

The snap really shouldn't be happening until the QB gives a signal putting the issue on Fields. No matter who is at fault, it needs to be corrected immediately.

Harris doesn't have great vision and doesn't always hit the hole hard. He runs better when he has a chip on his shoulder and given the criticism he faced after the game and will face throughout the week, I believe he'll have a huge game against the Cowboys.
I agree. It isn’t from lack of effort he just doesn’t have great vision. I seen him first hand in training camp a hard worker. He has plenty of solid attributes. I just think that on average because of his issues he isn’t a game changer. The moments he is pissed off he is a pleasure to watch.

I like the guy just another example of a player that I like but don’t necessarily think on average that he is the right fit for the Steelers. Not as a game to game starter. Perhaps as a situational runner.

But for me that is where the buck stops.