• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on packer game

He isn't the fantasy QB some want. I get it. He needs to improve his accuracy I get it.

Crunch time is coming up. He has showed 4th quarter capable. He did help get on the scoreboard early twice.

Baby steps. Not the steps most ultimately desire.

But still baby steps none the less.
Pat Mahomes would do better in this offense but not win a whole lot more. They play with no TE which is Mahomes whole ****** deal. There is no sight adjust post snap. I'd love to see what someone else looks like. Like say Brock Purdy.

QB- Packers want to run Love out of town on a rail and he was head and shoulders better than Pickett. Pickett kept dinking and dunking and not pushing it downfield to the open man and dumped it down to play it safe. Not championship football.

RB- Warren>Harris
Warren was 2 total touches less than Harris so I think Tomlin is finally allowing more of a 50/50 split. Which as Warren workload has increased Harris’ production has improved.

WR- Stone hands johnson couldn’t bring that contested pass in. Sorry, but that’s the difference between DJ and GP. GP comes down with that.

TE- Hayward had a few decent grabs. But we really miss Freiermuth.

OL- phenomenal performance in the running game and way above par in pass protection.

DL- Did not allow much in the way of holes. Heyward means so much to that front. Benton has gotten better every game.

Edge- even though Watt had a sack we really needed to blitz to create pressure. They didn’t do bad but not like the early part of the season.

ILB- Walker going to be called up for sure. Kwon out the season too. We went from deep to thin really quickly.

CB- Porter was pretty solid. He’s a little grabby but young guys are. Pat Pete had his best game.

S- for being a little thin Kazee, Neal and Riley put on a solid game.

ST- Bos is in the zone. We could use an upgrade at PR/KR.

Yeah head and shoulder better but Kenny didn't lose the game. Kenny had again a better completion percentage.

I now return you to your daily exhausting agenda

Kenny ******* ⛏️

1 2 3

Win!

We didn't start #77 earlier in the season, that's why.

Jones looks really good in the running game, but he wasn't with the Steelers last year when they also started slow, but turned it around on the ground.

At least this season, they aren't trying to climb out of a hole record-wise by the time the running game starts producing.

And 99% called him a reach when the Lions took him that high. They wanted that type of back and didn’t care what the critics thought.

Smart money says he won’t lead the team that drafted him to a Super Bowl win, because in this age first round RBs never do… he could be a hall of famer and that pick still would have been better served on a bigger impact position or trading down and getting more pics.

This is the new NFL people. Defense just has to make plays, not shut down teams anymore. It is a combination by our opportunistic defense working with our ball control offense and Kenny Clutch, to make sure we are not giving teams an extra possession. Any of these wins, if we had a TO, we lose them.

This is the NFL. The D that can create TOs will win the game.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same game you people are. The packers DL was eating up our interior OL on passing plays. Kenny had pressure in his face all game long.

DJ had another timely drop, Pickett threw the back shoulder, and he flat out dropped it. No play from the DB, would have been a 30+ yard gain.

Even the announcers mentioned we ran it on first down all second half, and GB knew it.

As for the D, we no longer have ANY depth at ILB or in the secondary. Minkah missed his second game in a row, Neal went out after his INT, Riley was out of position a lot. Wallace has regressed and makes no effort once he's beat.

It wasn't pretty, wasn't good, but injuries have hit us hard, and it's beginning to show. We need to get Watt more rest during the game, we had a good rotation beginning of the year, barely any now. Gonna burn him and Highsmith out.

I'm not going to fully judge Pickett until Canada is gone.

Jordan Love sat for three years becoming a pro. His OC makes our look like a sp. Needs guy. He had guys 4 yards open over middle I don't even think Steelers run a play over middle.
That is the key mention Love has had considerable time in the NFL. He is green starting but not green observing.

More troubling than Kenny for me is our secondary. What in heavens name is up with that?

Couldn't watch the game.
The highlights...GB receivers appear to be open all day.

IMO, we have two problems.

1. Kenny looks great throwing against our D in practice so we think he is good. (everyone looks good against our defense)
2. Our offensive coordinator thinks he doesn't need better plays because his plays work against our defense. (everyone's plays look good against our defense)

Our defense consists of 1. getting to the QB and 2. Getting to the QB neither of which we allow in practice (I would hope)

IMO, we have two problems.

1. Kenny looks great throwing against our D in practice so we think he is good. (everyone looks good against our defense)
2. Our offensive coordinator thinks he doesn't need better plays because his plays work against our defense. (everyone's plays look good against our defense)

Our defense consists of 1. getting to the QB and 2. Getting to the QB neither of which we allow in practice (I would hope)
Excellent point.
How do you get good practicing against our defense? Everyone is always open. Like playing catch.

My initial thoughts..... they are the new version of the Cardiac Kids. Kenny is not as good as expected thus far. but there is still time to correct.

and the the Raven and Bengals both lost at home and I forgot all about this offense until opening this thread.

I had a coworker text me a pic of her in the stands at the Ravens game when they were up by a **** ton. have not gotten any more pics.

I just aint sold on Kenny as a starting QB. he is slow in his reads and slower in his delivery. Thats the reason so many passes are off target. I know he has some 4th qtr wins but I feel like if we end up down 14 in the first half we're done same thing being down 4 or more with less than 2 minutes to play.

I can't remember who we were playing but I remember getting scored on with about a minute left and Ben on the the sideline saying they left us to much time then marching down the field and scoring. I don't think we will ever get that QB play or that mentality out of Kenny.

For most of Ben's career I never felt we were out of the game no matter the score and that started his rookie year, can anyone say they feel like that about KP.

More troubling than Kenny for me is our secondary. What in heavens name is up with that?

Couldn't watch the game.
The highlights...GB receivers appear to be open all day.

They play four man pressure two high safety. There is a dead zone of 7 yards behind linebackers. The whole defense is predicad on not giving up the long TD. Wallace gave up two. Still he plays.

I hope we go shopping for a starting QB next year, Kenny is not it. He'd make a decent backup QB but we need better QB play for this offense.
LOL. Every QB in this current system has had issues. Maybe it isn't all on the QB.

I just aint sold on Kenny as a starting QB. he is slow in his reads and slower in his delivery. Thats the reason so many passes are off target. I know he has some 4th qtr wins but I feel like if we end up down 14 in the first half we're done same thing being down 4 or more with less than 2 minutes to play.

I can't remember who we were playing but I remember getting scored on with about a minute left and Ben on the the sideline saying they left us to much time then marching down the field and scoring. I don't think we will ever get that QB play or that mentality out of Kenny.

For most of Ben's career I never felt we were out of the game no matter the score and that started his rookie year, can anyone say they feel like that about KP.
Is it fair to compare Kenny to Ben? Really? Ben looked like crap in this offense until the 4th quarter and Ben did his own thing.

Living in Ohio I've always been able to watch the Steelers. Nope, not today (thanks CBS) and from the comments above maybe I'm glad I didn't, even though it was a win. It was however, sweet to watch the Bungals and Rats go down.

On another note, Stroud and the Texans should probably not be dismissed as a **** team for those that play them going forward.

Is it fair to compare Kenny to Ben? Really? Ben looked like crap in this offense until the 4th quarter and Ben did his own thing.
Ben was an elite QB top 5 of all time. It isn't fair to compare the majority of NFL QBs to him.

For me no not a fair comparison.

Well yes. Kenny has something like 7 4th qtr. come from behind wins.

I don't hate Kenny. I think his decision making is less than stellar at times and I still think he has trouble seeing the whole field...
I would love to see what everyone is doing. Where everyone is during these plays. Someone does a breakdown weekly on our games and on most plays it seems like we have all our WRs in one area on one side of the field and then another by himself on the other side. The middle of the field, you rarely see a WR enter into that area. Today we had one throw into the middle of the field and it was to a RB I believe slipping out from the backfield. Most routes work to the outside. My question is why don't we use the middle of the field. Why doesn't any reporter ask this? Not that we would get a real answer.

You know who had a lot of come backs was Jenna Jameson. She had a lot of…wait, 2 different subjects