• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on packer game

At least you guys will make it to the playoffs.
Hooray.....we will meet KC again and get our ***** handed to us in a 45 to 14 *** whooping.

At least you guys will make it to the playoffs.
It gets lost on us at times to remember that. That a lot of teams would like just to be there.

Thing is GB we come from franchises that expect more than that. They expect playoff wins and an opportunity to compete for even more.

By all means, criticize....but, we have had 3 QBs play in this system. All three never threw to the middle of the field by design. Two of three have made 4th quarter come from behind wins almost weekly. Ben looked like **** for 3 quarters and then like a switch was flipped....in the fourth he put up nice stats. Pickett up to this week had the best 4th quarter rating I believe. To date, the system is definitely holding Pickett back. It held Ben back. It would hold any QB back. Throw into the equation that Pickett is still developing and it is unfortunate that this is the offensive game plan they roll out week in and week out.
When the Steelers drafted Pickett I knew he would take three years to develop. The issue is we haven't seen any growth this season. I scoffed when a writer suggested Pickett would match his TD total from last year and I thought that was a joke. Well I look like the clown after a half a season. Only 2 passing TDs in the past 6 games.

At least you guys have a chance. My boys won’t win another game.
Meh. We need a change. Tomlin though isn't going anywhere until he passes Noll for all-time wins here....and that is the earliest. We will win 9 or so games just by squeaking out wins. We are the definition of what an average team is. You would think it would reflect onto our coach. An average team equals an average coach. Nope. Tomlin is apparently one of the best coaches according to the media.

When the Steelers drafted Pickett I knew he would take three years to develop. The issue is we haven't seen any growth this season. I scoffed when a writer suggested Pickett would match his TD total from last year and I thought that was a joke. Well I look like the clown after a half a season. Only 2 passing TDs in the past 6 games.
Again maybe this system and game plans are strongly holding him back. Or maybe he just sucks. We will go into year 4 not knowing this also if things don't change.

in the the time he has been here he has 13 TD's and 13 Int's he is avg 182 yards passing a game, a completion % of 62.4 a QBR of 78.5. these are career numbers, I did not factor in todays numbers which would have slightly dropped those numbers.

These are not numbers of a first round pick. let alone your next franchise QB.

Just wanted to add…I was at the game today and not one Packers fan acted like a Dick. Classy bunch.
I’m very down though. Like I said I have the next couple Saturday’s off and work Sunday instead, thank god lol. I don’t have to watch my team lose.

in the the time he has been here he has 13 TD's and 13 Int's he is avg 182 yards passing a game, a completion % of 62.4 a QBR of 78.5. these are career numbers, I did not factor in todays numbers which would have slightly dropped those numbers.

These are not numbers of a first round pick. let alone your next franchise QB.

BUF

That is Allen's first season.

We can dislike his progress but I strongly feel we simply don't know his ceiling yet.

I seen we won the total yardage 399-324 but that’s the only thing we won.
Welcome to the club. Opposing teams are 9-0 in outgaining the Steelers this season.

That was absolutely a lateral which the refs somehow ruled incomplete twice, and should have set up Green Bay with a first-and-goal. An absolute gift for Pittsburgh. Had the Steelers not blocked an extra point, the Packers' final drive would have tied the game and sent it to overtime. Rushing for 200+ yards is great, but when you have 119 passing yards, it's anemic and unbalanced, and that's why the game came down to the final seconds.

The Steelers are 6-3 with smoke and mirrors. They've won two home division games thanks purely to their opponents' mistakes, and they've beaten four bad football teams. Most likely they'll be 6-5 after two tough road division games the next two weeks, meandering their way towards another 9-8 non-losing season.

BUF

That is Allen's first season.

We can dislike his progress but I strongly feel we simply don't know his ceiling yet.
what was his second season. did he get better or worse?

Yeah head and shoulder better but Kenny didn't lose the game. Kenny had again a better completion percentage.

I now return you to your daily exhausting agenda

Kenny ******* ⛏️

1 2 3

Win!

Yeah damn near all quarterbacks look ******* phenomenal playing the Steeler defense. I don't know what the **** people are looking at. They're throwing to guys a mile wide open and have all day to throw.

It was the same achilles heel the zone blitz had. Tom Brady ******* destroyed that zone and pretty much gave the blueprint to beat it exploiting it with quick passes and slants on a defense that played 10 yards off the wideouts.

They also couldn't cover the te to save their life. If you throw in the cheating and the Steelers never changing ****, you have epic failure.

Welcome to the club. Opposing teams are 9-0 in outgaining the Steelers this season.

That was absolutely a lateral which the refs somehow ruled incomplete twice, and should have set up Green Bay with a first-and-goal. An absolute gift for Pittsburgh. Had the Steelers not blocked an extra point, the Packers' final drive would have tied the game and sent it to overtime. Rushing for 200+ yards is great, but when you have 119 passing yards, it's anemic and unbalanced, and that's why the game came down to the final seconds.

The Steelers are 6-3 with smoke and mirrors. They've won two home division games thanks purely to their opponents' mistakes, and they've beaten four bad football teams. Most likely they'll be 6-5 after two tough road division games the next two weeks, meandering their way towards another 9-8 non-losing season.
My Packers are close to the worst football team in the league.

Last week Will Levis looked like the next great rookie QB vs the Steelers defense. Today Will Levis only completed 48% for 199 yards 0TD and 1 INT. Titans managed only 6 points vs Tampa.

Last week Will Levis looked like the next great rookie QB vs the Steelers defense. Today Will Levis only completed 48% for 199 yards 0TD and 1 INT. Titans managed only 6 points vs Tampa.
He’s as bad as Jordan Love.

Again maybe this system and game plans are strongly holding him back. Or maybe he just sucks. We will go into year 4 not knowing this also if things don't change.
Let me preface this with I'm a Pickett fan and want him to be the long-term answer. However, I will keep going back to while the game plans are bad, he's doing nothing to help himself. I believe he has 21 starts and has yet to play a full good half of football let alone a full game. He is trending toward being a bottom-5 starting QB as opposed to a wait-and-see QB.

The D did what they needed to do in the 4th. For me that is what matters the most. But yeah the coverage unit are what they are.

I almost forgot to mention besides Warren, Najee had a solid game. Which is good they have that 1 2 punch going.
I think with all the gnashing of the teeth regarding the D, there has to be consideration given in regards to having two starters out (FS, ILB), a third going out early in the game (ILB) and a player replacing the starter (FS) late in the 4th. The back end was a mix mash of 4th stringers (Although Elijah Riley is really playing well as the extra box safety). What I would really like to know is how can their be no holding on either Watt or Smitty, when they are getting turned around by OL grabbing their jerseys so that their names are showing up on their shoulder pads? NFL officiating is at its lowest since Riveron ran the show. They just can’t keep replacing older guys with Power 5 college officials and not give them more training. It’s ludicrous.

As for the mediocre numbers put up by Kenny, I want to see the pass route log for each receiver that logged snaps, before I opine he’s just managing the offense and limiting turnovers. If the logs show less than 10% of the routes had middle direction, that’s all on Canada. He designs the route tree, not the QB, or coaching assistant or HC.

They play four man pressure two high safety. There is a dead zone of 7 yards behind linebackers. The whole defense is predicad on not giving up the long TD. Wallace gave up two. Still he plays.

Yeah, a lot of the time, but they play man at least 35% of the time. Also, when in zone, their scheme has the defenders simply hold the spot and keep their eyes on the QB, forcing the QB to hold the ball a tick longer in the hopes the pass rush gets there.

How about running match-up zone where the defender takes the receiver in his area and if necessary moves a bit to stay with the receiver?? How about a bit of that?!?!

That's because our defensive scheme sucks ***. Of course we know that. Well some of us do.

Overall this was still not a good offensive performance. Steelers scored 17 on the first 3 drives and then just 6 points the rest of the game.

Good OL play, good WRs, the run game working and still can't pass.

They play four man pressure two high safety. There is a dead zone of 7 yards behind linebackers. The whole defense is predicad on not giving up the long TD. Wallace gave up two. Still he plays.
Not to defend Wallace as he has been below average to put it nicely l, but that long td with the crossing route was on Neal, he had deep coverage on that side and he let the WR get by him. Have no idea what was he thinking

Overall this was still not a good offensive performance. Steelers scored 17 on the first 3 drives and then just 6 points the rest of the game.

Good OL play, good WRs, the run game working and still can't pass.
For me that is what I dislike about the O the most. Well besides the scheme and play calling .When the ball is being run well I expect the passing game to be able to feed off of it.