• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on packer game

I think with all the gnashing of the teeth regarding the D, there has to be consideration given in regards to having two starters out (FS, ILB), a third going out early in the game (ILB) and a player replacing the starter (FS) late in the 4th. The back end was a mix mash of 4th stringers (Although Elijah Riley is really playing well as the extra box safety). What I would really like to know is how can their be no holding on either Watt or Smitty, when they are getting turned around by OL grabbing their jerseys so that their names are showing up on their shoulder pads? NFL officiating is at its lowest since Riveron ran the show. They just can’t keep replacing older guys with Power 5 college officials and not give them more training. It’s ludicrous.

As for the mediocre numbers put up by Kenny, I want to see the pass route log for each receiver that logged snaps, before I opine he’s just managing the offense and limiting turnovers. If the logs show less than 10% of the routes had middle direction, that’s all on Canada. He designs the route tree, not the QB, or coaching assistant or HC.

what was his second season. did he get better or worse?
Better but was still under 60 percent completion. Then his third year he hit his stride.

They probably loosen the reins in the 4th quarter. But a QB probably won't always be able to turn of and on that light switch. With the thinking they will be in rhythm...

Just too many things looking back for me to say yeah that Kenny.

Damn sure am not saying that without yeah that HC approach, yeah that OC not a NFL capable average OC let alone a top ten one.

Too many players outside of the team think the offense is a joke, too many players are recently succeeding off the Steelers roster.

If you sniff the air and something smells, then sniff it again each week for years and it still smells? Good chances are there is something significant stinking somewhere.

Not to defend Wallace as he has been below average to put it nicely l, but that long td with the crossing route was on Neal, he had deep coverage on that side and he let the WR get by him. Have no idea what was he thinking
Well definitely he was part of it. On both plays Wallace was three yards away doing nothing.

Tank Dell has as many TD receptions as all the Steelers WRs combined

I don't know whether to be happy or sad

pretty sure I am just disgusted with canada''s offense
Dell is playing extremely well for Texans. So are all three of the Steelers first three picks. Both teams did well. I dont think Dell is doing that in Pittsburgh with this offense.

Welcome to the club. Opposing teams are 9-0 in outgaining the Steelers this season.

That was absolutely a lateral which the refs somehow ruled incomplete twice, and should have set up Green Bay with a first-and-goal. An absolute gift for Pittsburgh. Had the Steelers not blocked an extra point, the Packers' final drive would have tied the game and sent it to overtime. Rushing for 200+ yards is great, but when you have 119 passing yards, it's anemic and unbalanced, and that's why the game came down to the final seconds.

The Steelers are 6-3 with smoke and mirrors. They've won two home division games thanks purely to their opponents' mistakes, and they've beaten four bad football teams. Most likely they'll be 6-5 after two tough road division games the next two weeks, meandering their way towards another 9-8 non-losing season.
Every week it seems we receive gifts.
I'm hoping next Sunday the Stains shower us with gifts again like they did in week two.

They probably loosen the reins in the 4th quarter. But a QB probably won't always be able to turn of and on that light switch. With the thinking they will be in rhythm...

Just too many things looking back for me to say yeah that Kenny.

Damn sure am not saying that without yeah that HC approach, yeah that OC not a NFL capable average OC let alone a top ten one.

Too many players outside of the team think the offense is a joke, too many players are recently succeeding off the Steelers roster.

If you sniff the air and something smells, then sniff it again each week for years and it still smells? Good chances are there is something significant stinking somewhere.
My God, compare that route tree to Delamb’s in DAL. It’s like “See Jane with ball.” compared to “The Grapes of Wrath”. There is either no confidence from the OC or Kenny. Kenny threw the ball all over the place at PITT, I’d would have to see the route trees at Canada’s last three stops before validating my opinion. But I probably already know the answer to that question.

O’Canada is the surface problem.

Most here know the root.

Salute the nation

Reactions: GMC
My God, compare that route tree to Delamb’s in DAL. It’s like “See Jane with ball.” compared to “The Grapes of Wrath”. There is either no confidence from the OC or Kenny. Kenny threw the ball all over the place at PITT, I’d would have to see the route trees at Canada’s last three stops before validating my opinion. But I probably already know the answer to that question.
Loved Lamb in college and they damn sure have continued his development.

I also think they are using DJ wrong. Some won't agree but he isn't a high 5050 ball type WR. I am assuming (fingers crossed) at least Canada and the WR coach goes in the off-season. That should be the minimum change over. I would bring in an outside WR maybe Evans from TB and move DJ inside. They are getting little from their TEs and little from their third wideout whoever is played there.

These would be my quick moves in free agency as well as bringing in a corner upgrade opposite Porter. Then I would look at pass coverage capable ILBers available that aren't coming off injury. And bring in a C for Cole competition.

So that would be a

C
WR
Ilber

Last edited:
First game in person since ‘19, here is what I observed:
Pittsburgh is awesome, and the food is amazing
Washington in warmups walks like his knees are an issue
Saw more visiting fans in town and in game than any of my previous trips
Warren and Harris splitting carries is money
77 is a very large man and moves people
Pittsburgh is awesome and the food is amazing
Seeing old players up close pregame was incredible but found it odd Blount was only 70s “star” that I saw for it being alumni weekend
I would not want to be hit by Cam Heyward. The man runs downhill like a freight train
Did I mention the food?……😉. Thank you Pittsburgh! Another amazing memory with my family.

First game in person since ‘19, here is what I observed:
Pittsburgh is awesome, and the food is amazing
Washington in warmups walks like his knees are an issue
Saw more visiting fans in town and in game than any of my previous trips
Warren and Harris splitting carries is money
77 is a very large man and moves people
Pittsburgh is awesome and the food is amazing
Seeing old players up close pregame was incredible but found it odd Blount was only 70s “star” that I saw for it being alumni weekend
I would not want to be hit by Cam Heyward. The man runs downhill like a freight train
Did I mention the food?……😉. Thank you Pittsburgh! Another amazing memory with my family.
Where did you eat ? I presume there was places outside of the stadium...

The issue is Pickett isn't fully executing within that system. He's playing like a fourth rounder in this offense. It's not easy to compare, but if we're critical of Najee for averaging under 4.0 YPC, Edmunds for not making any plays in the secondary, Dupree for taking three seasons to develop and being a product of Watt, then Pickett is worthy of some criticism.
I think that is the issue though - he doesn't get "some criticism," he gets crucified every minute of every day.

While the overall passing game isn't what it needs to be, every single incompletion he throws is scrutinized. Every pass. "A franchise QB would've put that 40 yard pass 3 inches more to his right!"

The bottom line is that except for George, none of our guys make a play. Look around the league and see how many great catches are made (which all go into the coveted 'QB stats'). DJ cost us a 30 or 40 yard catch because he simply can't catch in traffic. No DB got a hand on it. He simply dropped it.

Give Kenny one more year. In the meantime, look for another QB.
We could definitely upgrade Mitch and the red nosed third stringer.

Primanti’s, Peppi’s, Smokey Bones. I learned my first trip Primanti’s at stadium not as good as going to their restaurant.
This is a place everyone should visit outside of Peppi's which I love their BigWheeler.

Can't say enough good things about their BBQ..

They blow away Smokey Bones..

Give Kenny one more year. In the meantime, look for another QB.
Gotta give him another year but it is looking more and more like a classic overreach by Colbert. When that man got a position of need stuck in his head he was going to draft that position in the first round come hell or highwater. Kenny's potential is a moving target but at this point I would say his ceiling is Teddy Bridgewater. Great backup and a good spot starter. Everyone who can't decipher film or are wearing rose colored glasses are still blaming Canada, and I have and will continue to say Canada is running a vanilla offense, but Kenny is still missing the open man. I saw a handful of designed plays where he had an open guy 10+ yards downfield and he dumped it to the back or TE for a small gain. Passes a Sam Howell makes in his sleep Kenny either doesn't see them or can't hit them. We are winning despite of our QB play and this type of play is not sustainable. Sure, you pick up some wins vs inferior teams but we are no where near the level of football teams of the Chiefs, Phins, Rats, or Jags. And to win a super bowl you are going to have to get past a couple of them in the playoffs. The problem is getting a Brock Purdy or Sam Howell on Day 3 is almost impossible. Hitting on a QB out of the top 15 is very rare. So might be awhile before we make any noise in the playoffs boys.

The day isn't complete with out FordnoHairLine's Kenny diss and comparison. With the usual dig at posters that only he can decipher film and everyone who disagrees with his take is wearing rose colored glasses.

Doesn't contribute to this site but will clog threads with extensive babble on the subject matter.

When I see his bizarre takes, I immediately think Kenny does actually have a good chance of developing.

they really are trying to kill me

I'm sure it's nothing personal.

Kenny was pretty bad

He has to get better, even with-in this system.

Najee andWarren both ran well again

205 yards rushing team total.

canada hates steeler fans

I think we may want to designate O'Canada as our northern brothers seem to love us......... makes for awkward Saturday nights............

The defense did what it has all season give up a bunch of yards but make big plays to keep the scoring down

It seems mostly in-between the 20s, bend but don't break. This has been a tomlin staple for eternity or 17yrs.

just don't get the lack of play action or passes over the middle

Saving it for the Super Bowl, so as there will be no game tape to study,

run was working so well in the 1st half

Then O'Canada became so predictable in his calling run plays. I could tell by his personnel in place.

a play action pass over the mddle would have been wide open

100% agree and with the success of the run, it was often.

a win is a win but the offense has to get better

This current system will not hang with the better "high" scoring offenses. 20points will not win 2nd round playoff games.

Salute the nation

Gotta give him another year but it is looking more and more like a classic overreach by Colbert. When that man got a position of need stuck in his head he was going to draft that position in the first round come hell or highwater. Kenny's potential is a moving target but at this point I would say his ceiling is Teddy Bridgewater. Great backup and a good spot starter. Everyone who can't decipher film or are wearing rose colored glasses are still blaming Canada, and I have and will continue to say Canada is running a vanilla offense, but Kenny is still missing the open man. I saw a handful of designed plays where he had an open guy 10+ yards downfield and he dumped it to the back or TE for a small gain. Passes a Sam Howell makes in his sleep Kenny either doesn't see them or can't hit them. We are winning despite of our QB play and this type of play is not sustainable. Sure, you pick up some wins vs inferior teams but we are no where near the level of football teams of the Chiefs, Phins, Rats, or Jags. And to win a super bowl you are going to have to get past a couple of them in the playoffs. The problem is getting a Brock Purdy or Sam Howell on Day 3 is almost impossible. Hitting on a QB out of the top 15 is very rare. So might be awhile before we make any noise in the playoffs boys.
Hey Ford..
I see you have noticed Howell's play for all the right reasons..
That kid is really a surprise to me..
I was not real high on him...but man, I like his game!

He is Baker Mayfield with better decision making..

Dell is playing extremely well for Texans. So are all three of the Steelers first three picks. Both teams did well. I dont think Dell is doing that in Pittsburgh with this offense.
that is what makes me disgusted

the talent shown by Pickens and DJ and they can't score more than a rookie is this ****** offensive scheme

Holy crap people. We run for 200yds for the first time in like 6 years, and you're bitching about route trees and pass yardage?? Cowher would be spitting in your face with how soft you are as Steeler fans right now!

I will agree the route tree is dogcrap since George didn't have anything in the middle, however it is misleading. We did end the game on a deep drag and would have been in kneel down if Austin kept himself from hitting a defender for OPI. That was a great route concept, using a pattern to get another player open, Austin just didn't execute, and he's starting to play so small on O and ST that he's starting to dissappear in games.

Hey Ford..
I see you have noticed Howell's play for all the right reasons..
That kid is really a surprise to me..
I was not real high on him...but man, I like his game!

He is Baker Mayfield with better decision making..
On my big board I had him and Pickett on top it 1a and 1b. Pickett had the higher floor but Howell had the higher upside. And in my mock along mock I would have scooped up Daxton Hill in round one who currently has 2 picks and is allowing a 63 QB rating against him. Travis Jones who is a rotational DL for Baltimore who is grading out well. Leo Chenal who is a run stuffing/pass rushing ILB for the Chiefs and again grading out well with 3 sacks and 6 tfl and then I would have went with Howell. At that point the value was too great to pass up. I originally went into the draft saying to go with Mitch and Mason and let them fight it out. Then if neither of them look to be a long term solution go with a draft choice in 2023. But Howell was a very good value at that point and I feel if we drafted him and sat him he would have had time to develop behind Mitch and Mason and would have done what he is doing in Washington right now. He has a big boy arm and very good deep ball accuracy. He has the most upside of the 2022 draft class and is probably the only one who might pass up Purdy for top of the 2022 draft class.