• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on **** show redo

Not sure how it’s possible but it looks like the offense is even worse without Canada.
It’s the same playbook…only so much Sullivan can do outside of a few tweaks or adding a few plays.

I'd fire all of the coaches and probably switch to a 4-3. I think you could get multiple first round picks out of those edge rushers.

I'd interview everyone under the sun for HC,OC,DC and ST.

It's pointless to run this 3-4 like this anymore.

I'd fire all of the coaches and probably switch to a 4-3. I think you could get multiple first round picks out of those edge rushers.

We don’t run a 3-4 90% of the time. We don’t have the personnel to run the 4-3. The biggest issue with this defense is running Tomlin’s Tampa-2 defense that he loves to run.

There's no way yo stay sober during the past 8 years. I've tried and live on the west coast. By half time (11:30) west coast time I'm opening something. At least Ben gave me a shot of adrenaline here and there.

The offence is so abysmal, our QB'S are abysmal, the coaching have no faith in the ability to throw over the middle unless it's to Friermuth and that's at the most 10 to 12 yards. How can anyone in the ownership, HC, front office, not realize that this is not a team that can go anywhere.

Defense; The NFL is full of great players playing on mediocre teams. You can't hide the warts. Granted we lost our ilbs but our secondary and tackling is just hard to watch. A third and over 1 is better off than third and 10.

It’s the same playbook…only so much Sullivan can do outside of a few tweaks or adding a few plays.
That is true.

But here is an idea: ANYTHING is better than this hunk of crap. literally ANYTHING.

So why the hell doesn't Sullivan and Faulkner just f*cking throw out the entire playbook and change all of it - right now?!@! Ya got ZERO to lose. nothing.

Nah we will be ok on defense if we get some ******* offense.

That is true.

But here is an idea: ANYTHING is better than this hunk of crap. literally ANYTHING.

So why the hell doesn't Sullivan and Faulkner just f*cking throw out the entire playbook and change all of it - right now?!@! Ya got ZERO to lose. nothing.
Good luck implementing a whole new playbook in a week or 10 days. You think our guys are confused now? We would have 20 procedure and formation penalties a game if we tried it. It takes months of mini camps and training camps to implement a play book.

I ******* hate flag football.

Good luck implementing a whole new playbook in a week or 10 days. You think our guys are confused now? We would have 20 procedure and formation penalties a game if we tried it. It takes months of mini camps and training camps to implement a play book.

it would be better. trust me. anything. anything at all.

i watched the half-time show. Anybody else see them go over those passing plays?

Only like three plays, but you could just see it. You could just see it.
Mitch is back there just waiting - f*cking waiting for his receivers to get past defenders into a clear area?!! JFC. all these passing plays called where there is essentially just 3 evenly spaced stick routes! omfg.

Tomlin said the primary read on that 4th and 2 call was the pass to Diontae for 50 yards.. on 4th and TWO. The games over if you don't connect and that was their best call??? I mean, wow. Also, Ben said on his podcast that Tomlin is the one who calls the big 4th down plays. This whole offense has Tomlin's fingerprints all over it now and it really shows. He's always been in over head but he really is now.

So the offense just doesn't have a rhythm or continual March forward. It's too many first down incomplete or half yard run. Tgey are constantly behind the sticks. You watch what the Patriots did. It was Zeke out of the backfield. Hunter Henry and a couple JUJU catches. But it took till 21 points till the Steelers started to respond defensively. The Steelers simply get nothing easy because the design just isn't there. Just chuck out the coaching staff and let's start over.

Ya know, it's just entirely possible that this team isn't better than mediocre. Possibly (probably) not even that and they've overachieved to even be 7-6.
Overachievement, or just dumb luck? This team was outgained in its first ten games for a reason -- they aren't very good. They won a few games with turnovers and some late clutch play from an otherwise pedestrian quarterback. Now, after back-to-back losses to .200 teams, the true nature of the Steelers and their head coach has become evident.

Tomlin might be the greatest person on earth, but he should be gone along with a lot of other folks based upon the product on the field.
Tomlin isn't the greatest person on Earth. He's a pompous and overpaid fraud who's finally starting to be exposed for what he is.

Overachievement, or just dumb luck? This team was outgained in its first ten games for a reason -- they aren't very good. They won a few games with turnovers and some late clutch play from an otherwise pedestrian quarterback. Now, after back-to-back losses to .200 teams, the true nature of the Steelers and their head coach has become evident.
It's weird man. I remember us having some really intense (one way to describe it) discussions about Pickett leading up to the draft. I did a 180 on him once he became a Steeler and was/have been hoping that he would catch fire. But, if he didn't, I figured somebody had to know something about Mitch in order to bring him in (Turns out the "Buffalo Intel" was just like your friend trying to offload his old lemon onto you).
Anyway, my thoughts are Tomlin and his coaching staff can go. Kenny, Mitch and Rudolph can go. Bring in someone else and let him, Omar and Andy rebuild the damn lines and then get the QB. Run a bridge QB out there until you get the guy

The design of the offense is a joke. It's high school, but that's an insult to most high school offenses these days.

It's a collection of unrelated routes. Rarely do you see a route combo that actually forces a defense to make a choice. The QBs have not played well but this offense forces the QB to WAIT for 1 of the receivers to win and get open.

Justin Jefferson is great but the Vikes scheme him open. The QB knows what he's looking for and can go through reads quickly. They constantly put a defender in a bind where he has to cover 2 guys and eventually has to take one so the QB throws to the other. Steeler offense doesn't have much of that.

Creating big plays is like trying to move a boulder. A good offense has gears and pulleys and levers to help move it. The steeler offense just tosses them a pair of work gloves and tells them they just need to push harder.

It's weird man. I remember us having some really intense (one way to describe it) discussions about Pickett leading up to the draft. I did a 180 on him once he became a Steeler and was/have been hoping that he would catch fire. But, if he didn't, I figured somebody had to know something about Mitch in order to bring him in (Turns out the "Buffalo Intel" was just like your friend trying to offload his old lemon onto you).
Anyway, my thoughts are Tomlin and his coaching staff can go. Kenny, Mitch and Rudolph can go. Bring in someone else and let him, Omar and Andy rebuild the damn lines and then get the QB. Run a bridge QB out there until you get the guy
I guess, based upon this shlt offense that has wormed its way back into our lives after one decent showing following the firing of Canada, that the jury may still be out on Pickett. But he's been a big disappointment so far, no doubt. So has Trubisky. I really liked his signing and I had high hopes for him. Is Mitch's poor play a further indictment of the system these guys are running? Maybe, but unless a change is made at the top, any improvement or final assessment is going to be hard to come by. And in the meantime, boy, is it hard to f*cking watch.

This is a dumb team. Coaches have a role in illegal formations, but so do the players. Are you covering up the TE? Then step back. Are there not enough on the line? Then step up.

Nobody on this team does a single thing extra. It doesn't occur to them do do anything they are not expressly told to do. Play going away from me? It's fine to loaf and do nothing them. Any why not? Apparently no coach will call them out for it. No, that's left to fans and media.

What's that you say? Tomlin MUST be calling them out in meetings. He's Mike Tomlin after all! Well that doesn't matter if you call a guy out but then let them keep playing and keep making those same mistakes.

A big deal was made of DJ quitting on a play last week. A big deal was made by the media because it was caught on film. You would think the next week, you'd see nothing but hustle on every play from all the WR. We sure didn't see that.

Tomlin isn't the greatest person on Earth. He's a pompous and overpaid fraud who's finally starting to be exposed for what he is.
Touché!!

What folks fail to realize, or are afraid to say is that HCMT is the same 'coach' that 'interviewed so well' 17+ years ago. A man of limited intellect or accomplishment or aptitude who appeared in the middle of an aberration called the 'Rooney rule'. It should never have happened but for the late Dan Rooney who had wood for a young Kenyan interloper who appointed him ambassador to Ireland. **** the Steelers. **** the fans. 'My legacy is greater than football'. Convince me I'm wrong. G'head.

HCMT inherited a Super Bowl roster that should have produced way more bling than it did. He eeked out a win in Tampa and blew a game that should have been walk in Jerrah's house. Then age caught up with Cowher's team and the fraud emerged as the fraud he is - mediocrity for the ensuing 13 years.

The last of Cowher's team departed EO21. Now it's HCMT's 'product' entirely. No leadership. No plan. No player development. No consideration in player selection. No urgency. No understanding of Xs & Os. No preparation. No discipline. No scheming. No adjustment. No..... And he is now fully exposed as the fraud that he is. And up until this point the sports world has been all 'emporer's new clothes'. He be buck nekkid.

I don't blame HCMT. He was interviewing with the storied Pittsburgh Steelers. What's the kid going to do - fold? He convinced a distracted old man and his disinterested son that he was a phenom. And just at the perfect time. They had just crammed more feet than could be imagined into their mouths and were in need of a 'minority' to fulfill the obligation. A wildly brilliant decision until it is examined 17 years later, the young minority having destroyed the team and now working on the destruction of the storied brand.

It's not going to change. Ponder the idiocy of this putz in the HoF. Its going to happen. Its going to happen because HCMT will be the 3rd (in a row) young defensive minded coach to be enshrined due to Rooney brilliance.

Ponder that as you gnash your teeth and destroy your liver over these lapses called 'Steeler' games. And pity the great players whose careers were wasted by this clown car.

Last edited:
Touché!!

What folks fail to realize, or are afraid to say is that HCMT is the same 'coach' that 'interviewed so well' 17+ years ago. A man of limited intellect or accomplishment or aptitude who appeared in the middle of an aberration called the 'Rooney rule'. It should never have happened but for the late Dan Rooney who had wood for a young Kenyan interloper who appointed him ambassador to Ireland. **** the Steelers. **** the fans. 'My legacy is greater than football'. Convince me I'm wrong. G'head.

HCMT inherited a Super Bowl roster that should have produced way more bling than it did. He eeked out a win in Tampa and blew a game that should have been walk in Jerrah's house. Then age caught up with Cowher's team and the fraud emerged as the fraud he is - mediocrity for the ensuing 13 years.

The last of Cowher's team departed EO21. Now it's HCMT's 'product' entirely. No leadership. No plan. No player development. No consideration in player selection. No urgency. No understanding of Xs & Os. No preparation. No discipline. No scheming. No adjustment. No..... And he is now fully exposed as the fraud that he is. And up until this point the sports world has been all 'emporer's new clothes'. He be buck nekkid.

I don't blame HCMT. He was interviewing with the storied Pittsburgh Steelers. What's the kid going to do - fold? He convinced a distracted old man and his disinterested son that he was phenom. And just at the perfect time. They had just crammed more feet than could be imagined into their mouths and were in need of a 'minority' to fulfill the obligation. A wildly brilliant decision until it is examined 17 years later, the young minority having destroyed the team and now working on the destruction of the storied brand.

It's not going to change. Ponder the idiocy of this putz in the HoF. Its going to happen. Its going to happen because HCMT will be the 3rd (in a row) young defensive minded coach to be enshrined due to Rooney brilliance.

Ponder that as you gnash your teeth and destroy your liver over these lapses called 'Steeler' games. And pity the great players whose careers were wasted by this clown car.
I agree with almost everything you've said here. But I wouldn't say that Tomlin is a man of limited intellect. He's smart enough to know how lucky he is, and he's intelligently manipulated the system year after year to take advantage of his fortunate circumstances. He just isn't a very good head football coach. Sooner or later, that reality had to become known more widely. And it looks like that time is now.

Since Goodell took over, there is a steady decline in actual tackle football. I can't watch this **** anymore. Bad for my health.