• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on **** show redo

I just remember a certain Drew Brees who started to put it together as the chargers gave up on him and drafted Rivers. Some QB'S take a little more time than others. And Pickett was put behind the 8 ball the moment he was drafted.
Brees as a starter in 2002, Chargers scored 21 or more points in 6 of their first 7 games, and he threw for 9 TD's in that span, Pickett only has 13 career TD's, it took Brees only 15 starts to get to that number. SD did give up on him though

A lot of people are trying to defend, Pickett and somehow hope that his ceiling is going to overcome his thus far tepid play.

It's true the offensive scheme hasn't done him any favors, hasn't done any quarterback any favors. However, what is clear at this point is that Kenny Pickett is not able to overcome a mediocre or poor scheme.

He's a fine QB, he's just not a franchise QB. And that's OK. He doesn't have to be the greatest QB in the league. He just needs to be able to execute a relatively competent offensive scheme.

The problem is we don't have a head coach or an offensive coordinator who could come up with a relatively competent offensive scheme to save their souls. And unfortunately I don't really see that changing anytime soon.

So I'm not going to blame. Kenny Pickett. I'm not going to say he's a bum, or a bust. He's just an average guy doing the best he can in a bad situation.

A lot of people are trying to defend, Pickett and somehow hope that his ceiling is going to overcome his thus far tepid play.

It's true the offensive scheme hasn't done him any favors, hasn't done any quarterback any favors. However, what is clear at this point is that Kenny Pickett is not able to overcome a mediocre or poor scheme.

He's a fine QB, he's just not a franchise QB. And that's OK. He doesn't have to be the greatest QB in the league. He just needs to be able to execute a relatively competent offensive scheme.

The problem is we don't have a head coach or an offensive coordinator who could come up with a relatively competent offensive scheme to save their souls. And unfortunately I don't really see that changing anytime soon.

So I'm not going to blame. Kenny Pickett. I'm not going to say he's a bum, or a bust. He's just an average guy doing the best he can in a bad situation.
I don't think Pickett is an average QB, I'd say his ceiling is an average back-up. His career QB rating is in the 70's, yeah the scheme doesn't help, I agree, but I've seen him miss so many wide open guys, not just make a bad throw, but not even see them, then I've seen him miss throw to so many open guys, and his pocket awareness is horrible, rarely steps up in the pocket, always tries that spin move to the outside. A decent QB wouldn't miss throw on so many open guys.
The scheme in Cleveland wasn't helping Deshaun or DLT or whatever his name was, but Flacco comes in and the offense looks 10x better.

Brees as a starter in 2002, Chargers scored 21 or more points in 6 of their first 7 games, and he threw for 9 TD's in that span, Pickett only has 13 career TD's, it took Brees only 15 starts to get to that number. SD did give up on him though

As if the OC and offensive philosophy has nothing to do with that number. Pickett is just supposed to start launching TD passes when the offense is geared to just not turning the ball over.

As if the OC and offensive philosophy has nothing to do with that number. Pickett is just supposed to start launching TD passes when the offense is geared to just not turning the ball over.
I wouldn't exactly say Cam Cameron is Bill Walsh, he hasn't been in the NFL since 2012. Cleveland's offense looked like **** with Deshaun and DLT, same system, but Joe Flacco steps in and has 5 TD passes in two games, Pickett has 7 in 12 games.
Our offensive scheme sucks ***, no argument there, but Pickett has missed on a lot of plays that a QB wouldn't miss on

I don't think Pickett is an average QB, I'd say his ceiling is an average back-up. His career QB rating is in the 70's, yeah the scheme doesn't help, I agree, but I've seen him miss so many wide open guys, not just make a bad throw, but not even see them, then I've seen him miss throw to so many open guys, and his pocket awareness is horrible, rarely steps up in the pocket, always tries that spin move to the outside. A decent QB wouldn't miss throw on so many open guys.
The scheme in Cleveland wasn't helping Deshaun or DLT or whatever his name was, but Flacco comes in and the offense looks 10x better.
It's tough to balance between his fourth-quarter comebacks and his historically bad TD %. At some point you want your QB, franchise or just above average starter, to make plays on his own. Pickett hasn't done that, which is why I'm currently leaning to him not being a long-term answer. It's really unfortunate he got hurt because watching him lead the stretch drive while in the playoff hunt would've been huge.

I'm unsure you can blame any single player on offense. That playbook absolutely sucks. Not to mention the play calling

When the WideOut decides to not participate, that is NOT the playbook.

Salute the nation

100%. But it is rebelling (quitting) against an inferior coaching staff. These guys wouldn't be in the NFL if they were quitters.

Absolutely agree, but you post was about play book. I narrowed it down to player as well, NOT defending play book or play calls.

We are both saying the same thing.

Salute the nation

Steelers make unwanted history. By losing to the 2-10 Cardinals and the 2-10 Patriots in consecutive weeks, the Steelers became the first team in NFL history to be over .500 and lose two straight games to teams that were both at least eight games under .500. Both losses were embarrassing and with the Colts, Bengals, Seahawks and Ravens still on the schedule, it's looking highly unlikely that the Steelers are going to make the playoffs
Glad we don’t have the Panthers next
Surely Bryce would have his first over 250 yard game…**** he’d probably break 300 against this bunch

This is a pretty good break down analysis. I see these type of videos a lot, but this one is way better than most for break down coverage.

Thanks for posting this Supe.!!

Salute the nation

Great analysis - I love this.
That being said, it really is disheartening to see this and realize that our poor offensive concepts make me feel even worse about out chances of success.

There are so many bad actors involved with our failed plays
- bad play design
- bad route concept - often times it doesn't seem that there IS a progression to follow, just people running routes
- bad evaluation
- bad reads
- bad execution

bad...bad....bad...

How can anyone that is an offensive mind look at our concepts and not think --- this is terrible.

Great analysis - I love this.
That being said, it really is disheartening to see this and realize that our poor offensive concepts make me feel even worse about out chances of success.

There are so many bad actors involved with our failed plays
- bad play design
- bad route concept - often times it doesn't seem that there IS a progression to follow, just people running routes
- bad evaluation
- bad reads
- bad execution

bad...bad....bad...

How can anyone that is an offensive mind look at our concepts and not think --- this is terrible.
I cannot even watch as a fan. The Steelers product is horrible to tune into in comparison to other teams. This is the first time in my life where I’ve enjoyed watching other nfl teams more than the Steelers. Look at the giants, raiders etc and they look so much better(concept wise) compared to the offensive product the Steelers pump out weekly.

No we are not. Every single year by this time the pass rush becomes worthless. It completely lacks creativity. If they're not going to get a top notch DC like a Dick LeBeau to run that **** ,then it's worthless when matters.

Ahhhh. I'm pretty much just pissed over everything. The team and players deserve so much more than what they're getting.

Funny how the pats**** knew how to easily handle this team and yet again embarrassed them, with some scrub bum at qb.

Chess beats checkers. Brains beats brawn. Checkmate.

Judging from that stupid bullshit call on the long snapper last night these games are bullshit anyway.

You can tell by their draft strategy that they think a certain athletic aspect or physical trait supersedes all else. The staff needs about a four year course in Physics, strategic thinking, and trigonometry.

I just remember a certain Drew Brees who started to put it together as the chargers gave up on him and drafted Rivers. Some QB'S take a little more time than others. And Pickett was put behind the 8 ball the moment he was drafted.

Early QB success almost always is tied to the offensive scheme they are given.
I will keep pointing out that when people posted a breakdown of how often a first read is open, as well as when various analysts broke down how often a qb throw is considered “easy” Brock Purdy was far and away the leader in the NFL…

The guy went to a team that had the most QB friendly scheme in the league, with a superb run game and an oline blocking scheme that is very good.
Then they still made sure all his passes are mostly simple but well disguised routes to make his reads and throws real easy…

Guess what team sucks in all those graphs…

We scheme towards tge talents of elite players then when those players leave or are injured, wonder why those concepts don’t work with lesser players…

It was easy to see this coming years ago.
At least five years ago I said the Steelers never get to another SB with Shades as HC.
I didn’t say win, I just said get to.

At least five years ago I said the Steelers never get to another SB with Shades as HC.
I didn’t say win, I just said get to.

A good many of us have said it for a good number of seasons now.

We always end up with the miracle to.500 push and it dies down until the same **** happens the next season, rinse&repeat.

This season has really looked like trash for 90% of its entirety. There's really no saving face on it after the last 3 weeks.

My intial thought. Should I waste a saturday on the Steelers this week?
I figure it’s like watching a train wreck.
You just watch to see how bad it’s going to be.

You can tell by their draft strategy that they think a certain athletic aspect or physical trait supersedes all else. The staff needs about a four year course in Physics, strategic thinking, and trigonometry.

Early QB success almost always is tied to the offensive scheme they are given.
I will keep pointing out that when people posted a breakdown of how often a first read is open, as well as when various analysts broke down how often a qb throw is considered “easy” Brock Purdy was far and away the leader in the NFL…

The guy went to a team that had the most QB friendly scheme in the league, with a superb run game and an oline blocking scheme that is very good.
Then they still made sure all his passes are mostly simple but well disguised routes to make his reads and throws real easy…

Guess what team sucks in all those graphs…

We scheme towards tge talents of elite players then when those players leave or are injured, wonder why those concepts don’t work with lesser players…

This is exactly what I've been dating for awhile now. Whether on here, in conversations with friends at work, or on Facebook... And not just the offensive talk, and QB'S (because everyone is ready to dump Pickett), but with our D as well. I know I mentioned it after the browns game. But I can just imagine what someone like Schwartz could do with all the talent we have. Both Watt and Highsmith would be double digit sacks no doubt. Look at what Watt is doing basically on his own. No stunts, no scheming, just lining up and being a bad bad man.

This team needs new life leading it. It's no coincidence that all the back up QB'S this year are outplaying ALL our QB'S.