• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on the bills game

I can not remember the last time that the Steelers had a killer instinct. You know, aggressive, always pushing forward with urgency and purpose. It seems they go through the motions and hope it works. That conservative offense to start the game set the tone. Stupid play calling. Empty backfield at the goal line with no threat to run the ball. You have maybe 10 yards to work with and you allow the defense to load up on coverage. Pathetic..
Empty backfield at the goal line has never made sense to me unless you have a running QB. You have to make the defense respect the run.

They wanted to set up the run early. You are right though if we go with something different like play action very early it would have worked maybe....no creativity. Same ol same ol

The irony that WCOs like Canada's use the pass to set up the run.
We ran on 1st and 2nd downs right up the gut while they had 8 to 10 guys in thw box. Results for the most part didn't favor us.

419159924_905220057970733_4624469524466269123_n.jpg

Najee with some interesting comments after the game.

In house rules is just another HC aspect.

He can try to stay away from the coaches but it always leads back to them...

Najee with some interesting comments after the game.

Code Translation is obvious.

Coming from Alabama where Nick Saban ran a tight ship, Najee sees this locker room as a bit of a free-for-all zoo because Tomlin wants to be everybody's buddy instead of their head coach.

Trying to be diplomatic but it shines through quite clearly.

I thought for sure Tomlin would realize he had 3 timeouts and Buffalo's punter was hurt and Buffalo was trying to run out the clock and he should use his timeouts after the sack.

Okay, I didn't think he'd realize it but he should have heard a guy in Marietta, GA screaming, "CALL A ******* TIMEOUT, CALL A ******* TIMEOUT!!!!!" after the sack.

He did, with 2 seconds left……………………

Salute the nation

I have stayed a fan, but pulled WAY back. I expect Tomlin to Tomlin, so about week 10 I just laugh. Until he is gone, my passion is gone. Gone. Nada.
Know what you mean. Like Sarge said, it was great to have another week but I'm not even mad or disappointed. It is what it is.

Well those trophies are starting to get tarnished. They're no closer now to a championship than 10 years ago.
He’s proven at this point that he can’t build a championship team.

I can not remember the last time that the Steelers had a killer instinct. You know, aggressive, always pushing forward with urgency and purpose. It seems they go through the motions and hope it works. That conservative offense to start the game set the tone. Stupid play calling. Empty backfield at the goal line with no threat to run the ball. You have maybe 10 yards to work with and you allow the defense to load up on coverage. Pathetic..

The last payer to truly show that, BEN ROETHLISBERGER.

Curren try TJ would be next in line.

Salute the nation

Know what you mean. Like Sarge said, it was great to have another week but I'm not even mad or disappointed. It is what it is.
Oh I am disappointed I expected much more and constantly reminded that it won't be more under the current regime.

I know I have outside factors in play but man they played undisciplined, X and O clueless, scheme challenged, HC challenged.

I have never been more disappointed in them than I am now. It isn't just the loss. It is the way the lose every single time. **** at least McCarthy managed to win a playoff game last year before this years embarrassment. We can't even luck our way into a competitive playoff game.

Very unprofessional, Mikey-poo. Man up and face the music. You wrote this song anyway.

Absolute 3rd grade girl nonsense. Loser.
Yep. He doesn’t mind dishing out his nonsense. Plus I’ve never heard more softball questions than what he faces every week. Compare that to what the San Diego coach was getting at his press conferences. I can’t imagine him in New York answering to the media. They would see through his politician type baloney in a heartbeat.

My opinion:
Pickens fumble and Int in endzone self inflicted wounds and cost them the game. They battled hard and there was a lot of home cooking on the on Peezy Jr no call, and everything that happened after the Steelers last TD. From the 15 yard penalty on the scrum to the Jack phantom hold to the personal foul on Jack to the no call on the 4th down to Pickens.

Lifelong Steeler fan here which means I've been watching and wearing the Black and Gold since my first game 50 years ago this season.

But I can't ignore it. This team is mediocre, at best. This team now strives for mediocre. "Never had a losing season" means 9-8 records are now viewed as a successful year. For most of my life, that was unacceptable. The standard is a far lesser standard now.

I'll say it out loud (again). This team does not improve until it makes a change at head coach, which means changes to many assistant coaches also. There is a reason that no Tomlin assistant has ever been hired away to coach another team.

His hires are suspect. That trickles down to this coaching staff's talent evaluation being suspect. This coaching staff's talent development is suspect. How many guys really improve after joining the Steelers versus regress from their former self or their projections (if draftees)?

No playoffs wins in 8 seasons. Lost 5 consecutive playoff games with a combined score of 66-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Are the coaches not having their team prepared to play or are we to believe that it's on the players? (with an awful lot of turnover at almost every position over the past 8 seasons)

The front office needs to address several key positions in the off-season and I don't feel comfortable that Tomlin and his staff can get them right. They haven't gotten much right over the past 8 seasons.

QB - there is not a quality QB on this roster at present. Trubisky needs to go. Mason is Mason and he won't ever become more. KP has regressed since last season and who knows what the cause is. He isn't a franchise guy right now and didn't show me much at all this season. I think they have to go outside the organization for next season. Trade/Draft/Free Agent.

Center - for the 3rd year in a row, this organization has failed to put a competent player in the middle of the O-line and it has had a devastating impact on the offense.

LT - Jones needs to play there. Dan Moore needs to find something else to do or find a new position. Maybe he can be a 3rd swing tackle? Maybe he can be a backup at guard? I can't imagine his trade value is any higher than mine is right now.

ILB - injuries to the starters hurt, lack of depth hurt even more. This position must be addressed because the 3-4 defense puts a lot of run stop and short-middle pass coverage responsibilities on the ILB position. Hope Holcomb comes back healthy. Hope Roberts does too. Beyond those two, anything goes. Jack didn't look bad for having been working as an electrician a month ago. Kwon? He's approaching 30 and coming off a bad knee injury. His ship may have sailed this year. It's time to decide if Mark Robinson is a player or a project. If the latter, he has had enough time.

CB - gotta hope Trice and Rush can develop for next season. Pat Peterson had a really bad season and Levi Wallace wasn't any better. May as well use the younger, cheaper and more athletic Trice and Rush and find some help elsewhere.

SS - the revolving door. Kinda miss Edmunds and his stability at that position right now. Neal? Rowe? Kazee? Each has some ability but each has their significant weakness also. Might be able to build a solid safety by merging the 3 into one player. If only ...

As I rant away, this team has some solid pieces in place. Many positions have talent and depth. But it just continues to underachieve what most of us think they are capable of. Year after year after year. It's time to accept that Tomlin can give us mediocre seasons but he isn't going to deliver any more than mediocre. I've had enough. It's time for a change.

Last edited:
Hate to break the news to you but our Defense SUCKS also.
Injuries on Defense. AND look at scoring in the NFL. It is an offense league. The rules and sophisticated offenses (except for ours) rule this league