• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Inside the Antonio Brown Steelers Drama

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This is a fantastic read by Jeremy Fowler and I felt it deserved a thread for its own.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...ntonio-brown-steelers-drama-its-probably-over

A few highlights:

"[Tomlin] essentially told the group, we'll tolerate it now because of what he brings on the field, but the minute production stops, you don't overlook it," said one ex-Steeler who played with Brown for three seasons, recalling a story that multiple players confirmed.

This is not a secret. Pretty well known that Tomlin has this philosophy on star players.

"They've got a love-hate relationship -- they'd love each other and hate each other at times, like all relationships," said Markus Wheaton, a Steelers receiver from 2013 to 2016. "It's usually a misunderstanding -- something Ben did set A.B. off, or A.B. did that set Ben off. But they would get through it, and then it's hugs and touchdowns."

Probably not an unusual star QB-WR dynamic.

Brown said all the right things publicly after Roethlisberger criticized him on his 93.7 The Fan radio show for not running a flatter route on a late-game interception in Week 12. But a source said Brown was privately bothered by the slights, which included Roethlisberger saying he wished he had thrown to JuJu Smith-Schuster on all four goal-line downs late in a road loss to Denver.

Roethlisberger has praised Brown on his radio show but also criticized his route running and his sideline attack on a Gatorade cooler in 2017.

We have seen many times that Ben "always" criticizes his teammates and Brown. These are the only examples of Ben criticizing Brown. Doesn't seem like the "always" that the folks outside of Pittsburgh make it to be.

"Ben and A.B. talk more than a lot of people on the team. ... I've never seen the dynamic between these two [that's demonstrative]," the current Steeler said. "If anything, Ben is really easy on him and always blames himself when a mistake happens between the two."

This seems to be a far more accurate take.

"A.B. feels he is being pushed over the ledge but everyone is blaming him for acting out," McFadden said. "Not saying he's not wrong for walking away, but we haven't heard his side of the story."

If AB wasn't so full of himself he would easily be able to see why most are blaming him. He is also clearly ignoring a lot of national guys and former players blaming Ben for everything. He also continues to tease his side of the story but won't talk about it.

AB desperately wants to put the blame elsewhere. But his childish actions are still his own doing. Not that the HC didn't allow it to develop.

AB desperately wants to put the blame elsewhere. But his childish actions are still his own doing. Not that the HC didn't allow it to develop.

What I don't get is how a guy can work so hard to develop into the player he has become, but they does this silly stuff like show up late for meetings and go overboard on social media. I could see it with naturally talented guys who don't have to work hard or those who get paid and then slow down, but that isn't AB. You're right that he wants to blame everyone, but everyone else isn't showing up late, lashing out at the media, skipping team meetings, throwing furniture off balconies, speeding at 100 mph, etc.

What I don't get is how a guy can work so hard to develop into the player he has become, but they does this silly stuff like show up late for meetings and go overboard on social media. I could see it with naturally talented guys who don't have to work hard or those who get paid and then slow down, but that isn't AB. You're right that he wants to blame everyone, but everyone else isn't showing up late, lashing out at the media, skipping team meetings, throwing furniture off balconies, speeding at 100 mph, etc.

Photoshopping a different team jersey on. Talking to the ex scum of the NFL while pointing fingers everywhere but on himself.

We could go on and on.

Wake me when he's traded.

I thought for a minute you said........"wake - n - BAKE" and then remembered that was a different receiver but nearly as much a dipshit as AB.

Salute the nation

Bottom line is AB is the only person that can attempt to make this right (if that's possible). He is the one that walked out on his teammates, coaches, ownership and the Steeler Nation. A round of sincere apologies would be the first step if he even wants to make this right.

What I don’t understand is how current players stick up for him and make statements like “The media is making him out to look like a bad guy”. AB is making himself to look like the bad guy. Between his cryptic posts and statements on social media with former players how can you say he’s a stand up guy and he’s being portrayed wrong. He’s freakin posting a picture with another teams jersey on.

If Brown goes over on a slant when he's supposed to come under, or cuts inside instead of toward the sideline, it's not that he doesn’t understand route running, one current teammate says. He's an All-Pro receiver. Rather, his primary job is to get open, which sometimes means feeling out the defensive back and making an unanticipated move.

Wha? Why not just run a button hook every play, or cut behind the Chevy by the fireplug. NFL quarterbacks love unanticipated moves.

What I don’t understand is how current players stick up for him and make statements like “The media is making him out to look like a bad guy”. AB is making himself to look like the bad guy. Between his cryptic posts and statements on social media with former players how can you say he’s a stand up guy and he’s being portrayed wrong. He’s freakin posting a picture with another teams jersey on.

The thing I don't understand is how is this not against league tampering policy? He's basically telling the Niners "sign me" in every way except explicitly saying those words. I can't recall any player that was under contract posting photoshopped pics of himself in another teams jersey.

The thing I don't understand is how is this not against league tampering policy? He's basically telling the Niners "sign me" in every way except explicitly saying those words. I can't recall any player that was under contract posting photoshopped pics of himself in another teams jersey.

Remember all the "FIRSTs" you seen with chad & terrell, like the HOF jacket (example),................ well this is the "FIRST of many firsts" you will or have seen with antonio.

Salute the nation

Steelers need to try to get a first and more for AB. If they can't then sit him down and explain the nee rules for him. Stick to these rules. Fine his ***. Suspend him if need be. The pampering has to stop. A new culture will have to ne started where no player gets special treatment. I understand now where Bell got his influence from. He saw what they did for AB. And he himself started pushing the envelope also. And why not. That's what can happen when you have different rules for your star players. Hopefully JuJu sees what is going on with AB and takes a different approach with his stardom. Fact is JuJu will get paid shortly. AB will have to be move anyway. We have a great young player in Watt. Hopefully he can start a new culture along with JuJu and Conner for all the younger players coming in. Bottom line is it is up to our HC to start a new trend/culture moving forward. I won't be holding my breath waiting though.

That’s my biggest concern is the influence that selfish players Brown and Bell have on the young guys.

Brown needs to be traded and Bell needs to be not tagged and move on from both. And Tomlin needs to start fresh with the same rules for all 53 men.

I don’t ever want another diva no matter what the production. They’re not worth the trouble and we haven’t won any championships with Bell and Brown.
I want team players not gaudy stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Reactions: MTC
It seems like all the black players are defending him and everyone is seeing AB for what he is a great talent with diva issues and blaming everyone else.

Brown cannot take constructive criticism from Ben.
Ben's mentality is pointing out mistakes to work on, but Brown see's it as Ben throwing him under the bus.

It's a team game, if you're not running expected routes, I'd throw to the other guy who is getting open too.
Sounds like a bit of jealousy towards JuJu as well.

How about the latest where Brown did not stay in dorm at training camp, come at very end to get ready for home games as other players were dressed, continued late to meetings and fined little by Tomlin. Tomlin should be fired and if the ownership has any knowledge of this shame on them to feel pressured because of Tomlin being a minority. The Steelers continue to be a laughing stock of league with more and more info of Brown's selfish attitude and Tomlin's refusal to address his boy.

Brown cannot take constructive criticism from Ben.
Ben's mentality is pointing out mistakes to work on, but Brown see's it as Ben throwing him under the bus.

It's a team game, if you're not running expected routes, I'd throw to the other guy who is getting open too.
Sounds like a bit of jealousy towards JuJu as well.
The thing was, when he said about throwing to Juju 4 times, he said because AB was doubled, so he wanted to go to the single covered guy, it wasn't a slight toward AB

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

The thing was, when he said about throwing to Juju 4 times, he said because AB was doubled, so he wanted to go to the single covered guy, it wasn't a slight toward AB

Doesn't matter. Ben is de debil. Listening to this talking heads I can tell they don't know WTF they are talking about.

Yeah a receiver that has over 100 catches and 15 TDs is being ignored by the QB on purpose. Hate the off season and the 12 month football cycle the NFL has become. Too many talking heads trying to sound intelligent and plugged in when they are neither.

Yeah a receiver that has over 100 catches and 15 TDs is being ignored by the QB on purpose. Hate the off season and the 12 month football cycle the NFL has become. Too many talking heads trying to sound intelligent and plugged in when they are neither.
AB averaged more targets per game than anyone else in the NFL, and idiots like Shannon Sharpe say Ben was purposely overlooking him for JuJu, then everyone across the country hears this and automatically believes it, when simple research proves it's not true.

I think the opposite is true. Ben at times was trying too hard to get AB the ball and it led to ints. I think Brown needs to run more crossing routes or slants to beat the double coverage

I think the opposite is true. Ben at times was trying too hard to get AB the ball and it led to ints. I think Brown needs to run more crossing routes or slants to beat the double coverage

I wonder what Jersey he will be wearing when he runs those "crossing routes". He will find out that not just every QB will give him his satisfaction as a diva. He might go into a new season on a new team all "hunky dory" but as the season progresses and his numbers drop like **** from an ***, his "diva meMEme" will show. From there who knows......................

Salute the nation

There is no doubt Ben's int's were higher by at least a few this year because he was trying to force the ball to AB - especially early in the season.

I wonder what Jersey he will be wearing when he runs those "crossing routes". He will find out that not just every QB will give him his satisfaction as a diva. He might go into a new season on a new team all "hunky dory" but as the season progresses and his numbers drop like **** from an ***, his "diva meMEme" will show. From there who knows......................

Thinking of burning my AB jersey and see how many views I get on YouTube.

Thinking of burning my AB jersey and see how many views I get on YouTube.

I liked it better when guys where putting white athletic tape and adding the letter "S" in hopes the browns would beat the rats..................................................

Salute the nation