• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Interesting image re gun ownership vs. frequency of homicides

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
bq-5c8db9e09319d.jpeg

chart1-firearms-homicide.png

main-qimg-296ce3ee81ebbda05b85185aad5f8a92.webp

percent_changes_since_1993_-_number_of_firearms_vs._gun_homicide_rate_1993-2013.png

image_thumb-43.png

homicide-vs-firearms-1.jpg

So let's see if I have this right. More gun ownership does not - repeat, does NOT - correlate to higher gun homicide rates; the massive increase in private gun ownership over the past 20 years (56% increase) has been matched by a massive DECLINE in gun homicides (down more than 40%); the states with the highest incidence of private gun ownership (Texas, Wyoming, Alabama, Idaho, West Virginia, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Maine) simultaneously have some of the lowest gun-related murders in the country; nations with arguably the toughest gun-control laws in the world (Honduras, El Salvador, etc.) have much, MUCH higher gun-related homicide rates than does the United States.

And the solution to these mass shootings is ... more gun control?!? Do I have that right?

resident lefties will be along shortly to tell you how these graphs and stats are all using invalid data and how you're a racist fear-mongering old white cis-gendered chauvenistic male for not seeing past the paternal glass ceiling of income inequality and how gun ownership and murders disproportionately hurt black non-binary women from getting the abortions caused by slavery.

resident lefties will be along shortly to tell you how these graphs and stats are all using invalid data and how you're a racist fear-mongering old white cis-gendered chauvenistic male for not seeing past the paternal glass ceiling of income inequality and how gun ownership and murders disproportionately hurt black non-binary women from getting the abortions caused by slavery.

Can't believe I missed that. I feel so embarrassed.

Nine out ten times it will be some celebrity that captures a loose mic somewhere that fuels them thoughts too.

cuEquHx.jpg

Last edited:
http://infographic.statista.com/nor...ane_rate_of_gun_homicide_in_perspective_n.jpg

The graphs look a bit different when you compare US to other developed countries, versus comparing US to 3rd world countries.

The ACTUAL facts about gun violence in America with sources. Ammo to use to debate any rabid anti-gun idiots you may encounter.

There are about 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, this number is not disputed. (1)

U.S. population 328 million as of January 2018. (2)
Do the math: 0.00915% of the population dies from gun related actions each year.

Statistically speaking, this is insignificant. It's not even a rounding error.

What is not insignificant, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths:
• 22,938 (76%) are by suicide which can't be prevented by gun laws (3)
• 987 (3%) are by law enforcement, thus not relevant to Gun Control discussion. (4)
• 489 (2%) are accidental (5)
So no, "gun violence" isn't 30,000 annually, but rather 5,577... 0.0017% of the population.
Still too many? Let's look at location:

298 (5%) - St Louis, MO (6)
327 (6%) - Detroit, MI (6)
328 (6%) - Baltimore, MD (6)
764 (14%) - Chicago, IL (6)

That's over 30% of all gun crime. In just 4 cities.

This leaves 3,856 for for everywhere else in America... about 77 deaths per state. Obviously some States have higher rates than others.

Yes, 5,577 is absolutely horrific, but let's think for a minute...
But what about other deaths each year?

70,000+ die from a drug overdose (7)
49,000 people die per year from the flu (8)
37,000 people die per year in traffic fatalities (9)

Now it gets interesting:

250,000+ people die each year from preventable medical errors. (10)

You are safer in Chicago than when you are in a hospital!

610,000 people die per year from heart disease (11)

Even a 10% decrease in cardiac deaths would save about twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.).

A 10% reduction in medical errors would be 66% of the total gun deaths or 4 times the number of criminal homicides.
Simple, easily preventable, 10% reductions!

We don't have a gun problem... We have a political agenda and media sensationalism problem.
——sources——

1 https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf
2 https://everytownresearch.org/firearm-suicide/
3 https://www.cdc.gov/…/nha…/web_tables/2015_ed_web_tables.pdf
4 https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/na…/police-shootings-2017/…
5 https://www.latimes.com/…/la-na-accidental-gun-deaths-20180…
6 https://247wallst.com/…/…/cities-with-the-most-gun-violence/ (stats halved as reported statistics cover 2 years, single year statistics not found)
7 https://www.drugabuse.gov/…/trends-sta…/overdose-death-rates
8 https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/faq.htm
9 https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/…/P…/ViewPublication/812603
10 https://www.google.com/…/medical-errors-third-leading-cause…
11 https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

I'm sorry but it's almost impossible to judge stats from other countries and compare them to the U.S. Just like the people dying from "heart attacks" in the DR right now. They don't have a clue what they died of but on the certificate of death it is heart attack. No autopsy just a dr (I guess) saying that's what it is.

I've done enough stats to know that other countries stats are different. In England and Wales homicides are counted differently. If the person shooting isn't convicted or if the person isn't charged then it doesn't count as a homicide. So if someone shoots and kills a person in these territories and the case isn't solved then it isn't counted. That means ~15% of what the U.S. would consider homicides isn't even counted in England and Wales. These are mostly gang crimes.

BTW I love what Superman wrote. It deals with U.S. crime stats only and breaks them down by percentages. That's how you do stats.

Overlap crime rates with the vote-by-county maps...

I'm sorry but it's almost impossible to judge stats from other countries and compare them to the U.S. Just like the people dying from "heart attacks" in the DR right now. They don't have a clue what they died of but on the certificate of death it is heart attack. No autopsy just a dr (I guess) saying that's what it is.

The data are not perfect, no doubt, but the left cherry-picks stats to compare the United States to a select few nations, leaving out those countries with very restrictive gun control laws but whose murder rates far surpass those in the United States. As a public service, I simply expanded on the cited data, and lo and behold, 21 does exactly as expected - runs to a lefty site to find a non-existent, non-relevant "counter" argument.

There are no guns in Canada anymore, right?

Isn’t Toronto a gun-free, European stye knife free zone? How could that happen??

At least 2 people shot near Toronto Raptors rally, police say

At least two people were shot near a rally celebrating the Toronto Raptors' NBA championship on Monday, Toronto police confirmed to CBS News. The two victims suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Two people have been detained in connection with the shooting, and two firearms have been recovered, police spokesman David Hopkinson told CBS News.

The Raptors' celebration was briefly suspended in the commotion. Police were investigating the incident, which occurred at around 3:45 p.m. as one of the Raptors' owners was giving a speech.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/toront...s-nba-championship-rally-police-live-updates/

---------------------------------

Obviously, stricter gun control laws would help.

There are no guns in Canada anymore, right?

Isn’t Toronto a gun-free, European stye knife free zone? How could that happen??

At least 2 people shot near Toronto Raptors rally, police say

At least two people were shot near a rally celebrating the Toronto Raptors' NBA championship on Monday, Toronto police confirmed to CBS News. The two victims suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Two people have been detained in connection with the shooting, and two firearms have been recovered, police spokesman David Hopkinson told CBS News.

The Raptors' celebration was briefly suspended in the commotion. Police were investigating the incident, which occurred at around 3:45 p.m. as one of the Raptors' owners was giving a speech.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/toront...s-nba-championship-rally-police-live-updates/

---------------------------------

Obviously, stricter gun control laws would help.

Indeed. Outlaw all guns, imprison law-abiding citizens who resist.

Problem solved.

The homicide data does not differentiate between suicide (about 70% of all "gun related deaths" over the past 10 years), justifiable homicide, accident, and murder. In 2016, for example, more Americans use guns to kill violent criminals than all combined mass gun deaths that year.

5-Types-of-gun-deaths-suicides-homicides-self-defense-mass-shootings-other.png

While all these stats are great, how many other developed countries have people walk into schools and start killing kuds / teachers etc etc. ? The question is if you guys had a child killed in a school shooting how would you feel? I think tougher gun laws would help in some instances. How many times have these shooters have several red flags that were ignored? Are things like high capacity mags, silencers, bump stocks, etc etc needed? If this stuff was banned i would not care at all. I used to hunt, and i own an SKS with a 30 round mag. Sure it is fun to go out anns blast targets, but it does not make me feel safer and it certainly isn't going to protect me from trained military. It is nothing more than a toy to me.

The data are not perfect, no doubt, but the left cherry-picks stats to compare the United States to a select few nations, leaving out those countries with very restrictive gun control laws but whose murder rates far surpass those in the United States. As a public service, I simply expanded on the cited data, and lo and behold, 21 does exactly as expected - runs to a lefty site to find a non-existent, non-relevant "counter" argument.

I agree with that. I was just pointing out that even the data you are using is skewed against the U.S. and against gun owners. BTW how many homicides are there when the perp is a felon already? By law he can't legally carry a weapon. But many homicides are committed by felons who were already breaking the law.

21 is a child and I don't expect any intellectual posts from him regardless of the topic. I still think he is a high school student or maybe even middle school.

Overlap crime rates with the vote-by-county maps...

that's racist, you transphobic cis-gendered old white man!! Literally Hitler!!

While all these stats are great, how many other developed countries have people walk into schools and start killing kuds / teachers etc etc. ? The question is if you guys had a child killed in a school shooting how would you feel? I think tougher gun laws would help in some instances. How many times have these shooters have several red flags that were ignored? Are things like high capacity mags, silencers, bump stocks, etc etc needed? If this stuff was banned i would not care at all. I used to hunt, and i own an SKS with a 30 round mag. Sure it is fun to go out anns blast targets, but it does not make me feel safer and it certainly isn't going to protect me from trained military. It is nothing more than a toy to me.

Less poorly armed people fought our military and did quite a bit of damage. assuming the bulk of the military would follow those orders against US citizens.

Why don't you look it up if you are concerned about it? Obviously guns don't mean much to you. The 2nd amendment, thank heavens, shouldn't be violated because "You feel" or "You think". Tougher guns law won't stop a thing. It may make you feel better but it won't stop one single shooting.

Turn yours in, I’ll keep mine.