• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Mike Tomlin the “Least” Successful NFL Head Coach Tenured Since 2013?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
As the 2021 regular season for the Pittsburgh Steelers comes to a finish in the next couple of weeks, there will most likely be several coaching and personnel changes after the season, regardless if the team slips into the playoffs or not. There are many to blame for the Steelers inconsistencies this season, but the most consistent part of the team since 2013 has been head coach Mike Tomlin and quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger. Both will be enshrined in the Hall of Fame one day, but the duo only has three playoffs wins to show for since 2013. It is hard enough to land a head coaching job in the NFL, let alone retain one for over a decade as Tomlin has. With that said, many fans and media are questioning his ability to coach a Super Bowl caliber team. The majority of players from Bill Cowher‘s Steelers had left the organization after the 2010-’11 Super Bowl loss to the Green Bay Packers and Tomlin’s first decade without the inheritance of Cowher’s team has been quite underwhelming.

This got me wondering about the five coaches to be tenured since at least 2013 with Tomlin. The purpose of this is not to speak negatively about any of the following, but simply assess the performance of Tomlin-led teams against the game’s best.

Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots, Andy Reid of the Kansas City Chiefs, Pete Carroll of the Seattle Seahawks, Sean Payton of the New Orleans Saints and division foe John Harbaugh of the Baltimore Ravens have all been around and at the helm since 2013. All Hall of Fame coaches in their own right, but is Tomlin arguably the “least” successful out of this stellar group of NFL coaches since 2013? Each coach, other than Reid (2013), has been with his respective team since at least 2010 and all have won a Super Bowl within the last decade.

Belichick can be excluded from this discussion due to his regular season record of 102-41 and outstanding 14-4 record in the postseason leading to three Super Bowl Titles. He is in a tier of his own. Reid has matched Belichick in the regular season going 102-41 after defeating the Steelers Sunday evening and has a Super Bowl with a 6-5 playoff record. Carroll has a Super Bowl (would have been two if he ran the ball to Marshawn Lynch on the one-yard line) in this timeframe and a surprising 92-50-1 regular season record which is third best on the list. Payton and Tomlin have the same amount of wins combined in the regular and postseason and both coaches have four division titles since. I give the edge to Payton because of the excellence of the unit he runs which is the offense. I’d take his offensive approach the last eight years over Tomlin’s defensive one.

This would then bring up Harbaugh versus Tomlin and while I think both are great coaches, Harbaugh is ranked last out of this group since 2013 when Reid took the reins in Kansas City. Harbaugh has the least amount of regular and postseason wins and just two division titles. Tomlin is 9-8 against Harbaugh, however the Ravens did beat the Steelers in the 2014-’15 playoffs. But, if we left Reid out and compared coaches since 2010, Harbaugh’s Super Bowl victory concluding the 2012 NFL season would boost him ahead of Tomlin.

This is with no disrespect to Tomlin because I am sure he feels blessed to still have a job like the other five; however, if you’re not winning Super Bowls, or barely even playoff games, you should be held accountable against the best in the game which is what we looked at here. This is not a call to fire Tomlin either, as he still is an elite NFL head coach, but it does beg the question of how a team could perform so “well” over an eight year period and fail to make more than one AFC Championship Game.

How do you think Tomlin stacks up against the game’s most productive coaches since 2013? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

This is not a call to fire Tomlin either, as he still is an elite NFL head coach, but it does beg the question of how a team could perform so “well” over an eight year period and fail to make more than one AFC Championship Game.

Supernatural-Jensen-Ackles-Dean-Winchester-Confused-GIF_470982_1.gif

How do you think Tomlin stacks up against the game’s most productive coaches since 2013?

200.gif

I do not think or have ever thought of Tomlin as an elite coach. I think he's a very average/mediocre head coach that was blessed with wonderful talent and a franchise QB coming into his prime in 2007. Since 2010 with that QB and generational talent in Lev Bell and AB, good receivers in Emmanuel Sanders and Martavus Bryant, holdovers like Heath Miller, Troy, James Harrison, new blood brought in by Colbert; Pouncey, DE Castro, Ramon, Villanueva, and all he has is three playoff wins. This coach has way too many flaws especially this far into his career and I ask, what one thing does he really do extraordinary? I cannot think of anything and that disturbs me. He surrounds himself what appear to be nothing more than low tier yes men just happy to have an NFL coaching job. Aside from Arians, Le Beau, Todd Haley, and Mike Munchack, this coaching carousel has been a disaster. Ben playing in his prime with that great talent kept this team winning through the regular season since 2011 but if he were a great coach, would he not have gotten them to at least one super bowl in that time frame? Mediocre coach, no more!

If Tomlin was a QB he would be referred to as a game manager. That is what he is. He is never going to be the guy that you win with BECAUSE of his coaching.

If Tomlin was a QB he would be referred to as a game manager.

The Trent Dilfer of NFL coaches. I like it.

And like Dilfer, he should be a broadcaster, reminding everybody he "once won a Super Bowl."

This is what Tomlin has done for his entire tenure. He does not adjust to the player's skill sets or coach them up to become a fit in his scheme. Instead, he forces players into situations in which they will not succeed. He needed perfect fits at every position and 1st rd quality talent almost every position on defense to finally field a good defense that lasted a few seasons. Prior to that, he was blessed with a great roster and HOF type players at key positions.

You see the same garbage soft Tampa 2 defense week in and week out with this team no matter who we play. He can't coach up the backups and doesn't have top tier talent at every defensive spot to cover his tracks. Also he doesn't have prime Ben to carry him around.

It's time for Tomlin to finally be on the hot seat. He's had a good run but it's gotten stale.. all things come to an end.

Tomlin has gotten worse the longer he’s been coach.

3 wins in the last 11 playoff appearances. That’s pathetic with the team we had.

This is a what have you done for me lately league…. And his fancy press conference and Tomlinisms don’t mean **** anymore.

Harbaugh might be the only living NFL coach I wouldn't eagerly trade Tomlin for at this point.

If Tomlin was a QB he would be referred to as a game manager. That is what he is. He is never going to be the guy that you win with BECAUSE of his coaching.
If Tomlin was a QB he would be what you call a career 3rd stringer only to be played in extreme emergencies due to his lack of physical and mental abilities

Harbaugh might be the only living NFL coach I wouldn't eagerly trade Tomlin for at this point.

I don't think Hairball's teams have had near the talent that Coach Tomlin's teams have had. I' not defending Hairball but I'm not so sure I wouldn't take him in a straight across trade.

Salute the nation

Belichick is as long as he wants, Reid certainly as long as Mahomes or as he wants, Pete is gone this year or next, Harbaugh will start to feel the heat again he was on the brink a couple years ago, Payton I'm not sure about.

Players like Ingram, Conner, Jordan Berry, Feiler leave and are now having solid seasons. What does that tell you about Tomlin's ability to motivate players and get the best out of them?

Players like Ingram, Conner, Jordan Berry, Feiler leave and are now having solid seasons. What does that tell you about Tomlin's ability to motivate players and get the best out of them?
Hilton, too. Let me be clear, I am happy these guys are playing well, but there used to be a time when players left Pittsburgh they didn't perform at a high level. For awhile, Emmanuel Sanders was the only guy in recent years to have success.

I don't think Hairball's teams have had near the talent that Coach Tomlin's teams have had. I' not defending Hairball but I'm not so sure I wouldn't take him in a straight across trade.

Salute the nation
His two point gambles have been really stupid and I couldn't take his ref whines but his teams are well prepared and I like the demenour of his defense. Remember the Steelers injury problems are a joke compared to the Ravens.

Shades is a top five coach because there are a lot of bad to mediocre coaches. This isn't the 1970's with seven future HOF head coaches on the sidelines every week. (There are nine head coaches in the HOF who coached in all or part of the 70's.)

Shades is a top five coach because there are a lot of bad to mediocre coaches. This isn't the 1970's with seven future HOF head coaches on the sidelines every week. (There are nine head coaches in the HOF who coached in all or part of the 70's.)

If Tomlin ever made the HOF it would be because of the mediocracy of todays head coaches. He is slightly above the line in today mediocracy but also note he is losing ground fast.

Coach Tomlin has been being exposed more and more this & last season to show more of his true ability. People are starting to actually look at his coaching acromin and seeing deeper into the ranks. His ship isn't righted and his excuses are being less and less credible.

Media is getting tired of the circle of Tomlinism.

Salute the nation

Coach Tomlin has been being exposed more and more this & last season to show more of his true ability. People are starting to actually look at his coaching acromin and seeing deeper into the ranks. His ship isn't righted and his excuses are being less and less credible.

Media is getting tired of the circle of Tomlinism.

Salute the nation
And then Tony Romo comes to town.............

And then Tony Romo comes to town.............

I heard that dumb ****.................................. obviously tony doesn't watch STEELERS / Coach Tomlin football very much.

Salute the nation

I'm usually critical of the media and stupid questions. But, how long can can you listen to 'we didn't perform well enough in all three phases' before you say fuckit and call him out? I'm not in Pittsburgh, but the local media must be losing their minds. Especially the ones that have been covering this team for decades.

Agreed.

And even if we designate him the equivalent of the QB "game manager," he has quite literally become, over the years, one of the worst game managers I have ever seen. His time management, challenges (and non-challenges), game planning for teams with the coordinators (vs "doing what we do") and the inability to do on-the-fly adjustments (apparently he can only do that at half time or in the fourth quarter when we are down 28) are all atrocious.

Even his numbers are deceptive as to how good he could be if, in fact, he had in-game management skills. Sure, he has a decent win-loss record and such but for someone/anyone that watches every game to see the context of where all of his wins and losses have come from would see the many games, and seasons, he has legit cut short or handed away with him and the team not coming close to realizing the actual potential.

I truly believe Tomlin and the Steelers could mutually benefit from a change of scenery for him. Tomlin is able to capture the room, so to speak and when he was new in the Burgh his demeanor and such was fresh and worked. But it started slowly going downhill and at this point is like an out of control avalanche crashing down.

Sometimes there really is value in change for the sake of change for all parties involved.

Head CoachRecordWin %10+ win seasonsDivision TitlesPlayoff AppearancesPlayoff RecordSeasons with at least 1 Playoff WinConference Championship Game RecordSuper Bowl Record
Bill Belichick102-41.71377713-464-23-1
Pete Carroll92-50-1.6437478-652-01-1
John Harbaugh83-60.5804243-320-00-0
Sean Payton88-55.6155454-550-10-0
Andy Reid102-41.7138687-642-11-1
Mike Tomlin89-52-2.6225453-520-10-0
  • Bill Belichick has a chance to add to 10+ win seasons, division titles, and playoff appearances.
  • Andy Reid includes this year’s 10+ win season, division title, and playoff appearance.
  • Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, and Sean Payton have a chance to add to playoff appearances
All have had a franchise QB, Harbaugh with the least talented of the bunch. Tomlin and Payton were on a similar track with Roethlisberger and Brees. Payton was also well on his way to another playoff appearance until Winston suffered a season-ending injury. Belichick and Reid have the top two guys in the league, but they have won with those guys. Few missed opportunities so far. Carroll looks like he'll be transitioning away from Wilson earlier than anticipated.

I would rank them:
  1. Bill Belichick
  2. Andy Reid
  3. Pete Carroll
  4. Sean Payton
  5. Mike Tomlin
  6. John Harbaugh

Most local media is afraid to ask any tough questions
Except for Aditi today. To quote Jim Rome, she was coming strong. Essentially, "Da fuq is wrong with you and I don't want to hear 'you're working on it'."

Last edited: