• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

It's not what you're capable of. it's what you are willing to do

Ernie or AB... apples to oranges or crazy is just crazy???

Crazy is just Crazy, but your "night" skinny yard-work falls in that category as well..................................................

Salute the nation

My "motivational" speech would be the opposite. Sort of a "get real" speech. lol

It's not what you're willing to do, it's what you're capable of.

I'm not capable of competing for a spot on the Steelers roster, but I'm willing to try. Gimme that helmet and pads!
I wanna try out for linebacker!

Last edited:
If he/they could surround him with top coordinators and x and o guys he couod win a championship. He/they won't. So he won't.
Tomlin would lose the game at the end of both halves. His clock management and personnel management are atrocious at those times . It was Ben who came through at those times, but he is long gone and we have seen how it has played out over the last two years. It sucks!

If Tomlin's words are so glowing, someone explain a 7-year's absence of a playoff win. Why didn't his "glowing words" do something to cause a win in 7 years?

Excellent find Coolie.

Let's ask our brethren (and ladies) if Coach Cowher or Noll where the "greatest coaches" in the league???

I love them all and Coach Noll is still hands down my favorite because of the results he provided during his tenure. Coach Tomlin is an inch behind because of the difficulty of coaching in the new NFL is 180 degrees different then the Coach Noll era.

Let tomatoes fly and moaning start in...

Go!!!
Berm, as one poster stated its all based on the coaching cultural level of the era. Most don’t realize Noll was a player (Guard with Coach Brown in the 50’s), he really kept a distance from player relationships, other than Joe Greene who was his de facto team leader. QBs couldn’t figure out how to be around him (he expected cerebral traits), and drama was anti-team. He supported Brad, but only to be a better player. Terry’s insecurity wasn‘t an issue Noll felt he had to address to a grown man. The players who really gravitated to Noll and understood his quiet coaching style were come to work and get better OL, RBs and DL. The LBs also had a healthy respect for Chuck, because they knew his rapport with the defensive coaches. The WR were indifferent until the rule change and Chuck blew open the offense with all the down field passing. At that point they absolutely revered him. Franco intimated Chuck was like Joe Paterno (but quieter), and that his coaching was more as a teacher than a taskmaster. Chuck knew from day one he was his offensive building block, and Franco was never a problem off or on the field.

I am hoping that is the course with the new OC. I would think being a successful OC and a former head coach Tommy would let him do his job. Fingers and toes crossed. 😁
That’s the plan, let Smith run the offense, just like Arians and Haley did. JUST LIKE COWHER did after getting rid of Joe Walton. And just like Tomlin, Chin had some bad OC’s too. Sherman, Gilbride in between Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, Whiz and then Arians.

The Raiders and Steelers ended up in court when Noll called the Raiders the criminal element after a game that Lynn Swann got closelined after a play was over and knocked him out.
Did you know who else sued Noll because of the “criminal element” case? Mel Blount. Yep a staunch supporter of Noll, but did so, because his name was mentioned in the trial in reference to whom criminal element players were. Al Davis’s lawyer focused on which players were aggressive like those Raider players, and offered up other players on different teams, including Blount. Noll had to agree to the names or face defamation from Raider players. Instead, Mel sued him for defamation because his name was mentioned (all because of that rule change that was named after him). Mr. Rooney said that was the worst training camp ever, since some PIT players were flying to and from court to testify. Noll and Mel, mended the hard feelings though.

Berm, as one poster stated its all based on the coaching cultural level of the era. Most don’t realize Noll was a player (Guard with Coach Brown in the 50’s), he really kept a distance from player relationships, other than Joe Greene who was his de facto team leader. QBs couldn’t figure out how to be around him (he expected cerebral traits), and drama was anti-team. He supported Brad, but only to be a better player. Terry’s insecurity wasn‘t an issue Noll felt he had to address to a grown man. The players who really gravitated to Noll and understood his quiet coaching style were come to work and get better OL, RBs and DL. The LBs also had a healthy respect for Chuck, because they knew his rapport with the defensive coaches. The WR were indifferent until the rule change and Chuck blew open the offense with all the down field passing. At that point they absolutely revered him. Franco intimated Chuck was like Joe Paterno (but quieter), and that his coaching was more as a teacher than a taskmaster. Chuck knew from day one he was his offensive building block, and Franco was never a problem off or on the field.

That’s the plan, let Smith run the offense, just like Arians and Haley did. JUST LIKE COWHER did after getting rid of Joe Walton. And just like Tomlin, Chin had some bad OC’s too. Sherman, Gilbride in between Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, Whiz and then Arians.

Did you know who else sued Noll because of the “criminal element” case? Mel Blount. Yep a staunch supporter of Noll, but did so, because his name was mentioned in the trial in reference to whom criminal element players were. Al Davis’s lawyer focused on which players were aggressive like those Raider players, and offered up other players on different teams, including Blount. Noll had to agree to the names or face defamation from Raider players. Instead, Mel sued him for defamation because his name was mentioned (all because of that rule change that was named after him). Mr. Rooney said that was the worst training camp ever, since some PIT players were flying to and from court to testify. Noll and Mel, mended the hard feelings though.
That ole' criminal element, who knew?

Tomlin would lose the game at the end of both halves. His clock management and personnel management are atrocious at those times . It was Ben who came through at those times, but he is long gone and we have seen how it has played out over the last two years. It sucks!
Tomlin is ONE of THE worst coach when it comes to ending halves, no one can even deny it. Just pathetic.

What a great post. We need more like this and more from ike Kelly

he was giving a speech

this is not verbal diarrhea

that is sound advice for young athletes
We can agree to disagree. To me it's all Tomlin has, which is worn out didactic epitomes and "go get 'em rah rah" cheerleading. If he had more to offer, perhaps he would have found a way to win a playoff game the last 7 seasons, instead of giving up, on average, over 40 points per game. The team has seemed to have tuned out his didactic messages.

We can agree to disagree. To me it's all Tomlin has, which is worn out didactic epitomes and "go get 'em rah rah" cheerleading. If he had more to offer, perhaps he would have found a way to win a playoff game the last 7 seasons, instead of giving up, on average, over 40 points per game. The team has seemed to have tuned out his didactic messages.
you certainly have the right to be wrong

this was not about him coaching, it was about him teaching young athletes

OK, then in all his teaching, how has the postseason been working out for him? If he is such a great coach/teacher, you'd hope it translated into results for the team.

OK, then in all his teaching, how has the postseason been working out for him? If he is such a great coach/teacher, you'd hope it translated into results for the team.
who ever said he was a great coach?

That's where discipline comes in. You'll never see an undisciplined team win a championship.
Cheating aside, Belicheat's teams still made very few mistakes and took very few penalties.

The Tomlin Fan Club and national sports media.
Did you know he's never had a losing season?
Obviously there is a disconnect come playoff time.

Cheating aside, Belicheat's teams still made very few mistakes and took very few penalties.
Discipline wins. And the players obviously went above and beyond with study. Always in the right place at the right time on defense.

Offense looked like a well oiled machine. And the offense exploiting defenses week in and out like it was nothing.

It certainly takes some dedication.

Discipline wins. And the players obviously went above and beyond with study. Always in the right place at the right time on defense.

Offense looked like a well oiled machine. And the offense exploiting defenses week in and out like it was nothing.

It certainly takes some dedication.
And then you have the exact opposite in Pgh, where offensive starters/stars have gone on record saying Tomlin's teams lack discipline in practice and it should be changed. Cripes let's not pretend that didn't happen.

he may not be the greatest coach in the league, but he is a good teacher/speaker

I am going to give my thoughts on this bit of rambling. Clearly Coolie was just showing another side to CMT. And went out of his way to show that this was not an on the field type coaching post. Another side of Mike.

I have no idea why you have such a one track mind Loyd. Question…..Do you have kids?

I’ve got 4. They’ve all been involved in sport programs. And I have always found it interesting the different techniques involved.
Good coaches are also teachers in life. They try to teach self discipline,respect for yourself and others,FairPlay,motivation, good future life choices. I found that the worst coaching were the guys that just screamed and basically cared about nothing else then what happens on the field.

My Son’s football coach was a well known lawyer from the big city who would come out to our suburb who knows how many times a week. All volunteer. They did very well,he turned the program around. He also shaped these boys future in such a positive way off the field,he will never be forgotten.

My daughters took dance from the ages of 3-16. We probably could have bought a lakefront property with the money we spent on dance. These instructors taught not just dance. Self worth,Etiquette,manners,grace,…..I could go on and on. They had a positive part in shaping their lives.

See Mr.Lyod. I get what Coolie is trying to show here. As do most others. I get frustrated by the lack of playoff success. Obviously. I sure wish you would open up your mind your mind instead of babbling the same stuff over and over and over again. This post was simply about showing another side of CMT. As a parent I appreciate that Mike tries to be a positive influence on people’s lives.

I am going to give my thoughts on this bit of rambling. Clearly Coolie was just showing another side to CMT. And went out of his way to show that this was not an on the field type coaching post. Another side of Mike.

I have no idea why you have such a one track mind Loyd. Question…..Do you have kids?

I’ve got 4. They’ve all been involved in sport programs. And I have always found it interesting the different techniques involved.
Good coaches are also teachers in life. They try to teach self discipline,respect for yourself and others,FairPlay,motivation, good future life choices. I found that the worst coaching were the guys that just screamed and basically cared about nothing else then what happens on the field.

My Son’s football coach was a well known lawyer from the big city who would come out to our suburb who knows how many times a week. All volunteer. They did very well,he turned the program around. He also shaped these boys future in such a positive way off the field,he will never be forgotten.

My daughters took dance from the ages of 3-16. We probably could have bought a lakefront property with the money we spent on dance. These instructors taught not just dance. Self worth,Etiquette,manners,grace,…..I could go on and on. They had a positive part in shaping their lives.

See Mr.Lyod. I get what Coolie is trying to show here. As do most others. I get frustrated by the lack of playoff success. Obviously. I sure wish you would open up your mind your mind instead of babbling the same stuff over and over and over again. This post was simply about showing another side of CMT. As a parent I appreciate that Mike tries to be a positive influence on people’s lives.
Coach 1 and 2 has never showed the ability to grasp and adjust. It was, is, and always will be Tomlin Tomlin Tomlin regurgitated Mambo Chahambo. Some look at him as conversation movers. But for me it just floods the site with stupid. Even the fresh Steelers news gets shifted to Tomlin this that or the other. Nothing refreshing about that. Nothing inviting. It just is one idiot with a dunce cap on trying to entertain with a Barry Manilow song on repeat.

I want better for Steelernation.

Last edited:

Bravo!! Standing ovation....

Life lessons from lawyer coaches and to girls, ages 3-16 are great. I mean that. But we need a coach who can direct players in the here and now, and to postseason success. A coach giving life lessons can be great, but I want the head coach of my NFL team to be better than that; to give insights on how to win today. Noll didn't spend time on "life lessons" like he was coaching a pee wee league. Maybe Tomlin should pick up on what Noll was doing. We haven't won a playoff game in 7 years. Even Noll of the 80's was better than that.

Life lessons from lawyer coaches and to girls, ages 3-16 are great. I mean that. But we need a coach who can direct players in the here and now, and to postseason success. A coach giving life lessons can be great, but I want the head coach of my NFL team to be better than that; to give insights on how to win today. Noll didn't spend time on "life lessons" like he was coaching a pee wee league. Maybe Tomlin should pick up on what Noll was doing. We haven't won a playoff game in 7 years. Even Noll of the 80's was better than that.
You are asking Tomlin to do something that is against his strengths. His best recipe for success is to let the coordinators coordinate this X and O’s and continue to motivate and oversee the process.

He will never be Noll, but he can be a better version of himself.

Nothing wrong with his life lessons I hope he continues to do that. That is separate from what he brings as a coach. Try to grasp the differences.

I’ll try and be polite here. But you really didn’t get a word of what I was trying to say. Zero. Coolies post was just showing a different side of coach off the field. You know it,I know it,anybody that knows how to read would know it. Including my 5 year old grandson.
You just take any opportunity to slam him. It gets tiresome. I try and make a touch of effort in some of my posts.
Would be nice if you reciprocate instead of regurgitate.

I’ll try and be polite here. But you really didn’t get a word of what I was trying to say. Zero. Coolies post was just showing a different side of coach off the field. You know it,I know it,anybody that knows how to read would know it. Including my 5 year old grandson.
You just take any opportunity to slam him. It gets tiresome. I try and make a touch of effort in some of my posts.
Would be nice if you reciprocate instead of regurgitate.
Preach brother