• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

It's not what you're capable of. it's what you are willing to do

Every coach is different. Noll was not a cheerleader. Noll was purely cerebral. With the talent he had it was all that was needed.

Cowher with lesser talent but still damn good was both cerebral and a cheerleader. A good way to be imo.

Tomlin, well he is just a cheerleader. Good motivator, in the locker room, in practice, and on the sidelines. Relies on his hires to do the thinking.
Thats not a knock. It's just the way it comes across, and I have no problem with it.
I’ve got to agree to disagree Stewey, and this isn’t a homerism towards Tomlin. Art2 publicly has said enough of no wins in the playoffs and he has to be better.

Tomlin, came from the Tony Dungy coaching tree, who was from Noll’s tree. Tony hired Tomlin and his DC, Monte Kiffin. Kiffin was one of his mentors while under Gruden. Tony Dungy gave Mr. Rooney Tomlin’s name when he asked for up and coming coaches (just like he did 35 years before). This “cheerleader“ metaphor was created by that Bradshaw interview several years ago. You talk to the vets and leaders on Tomlin’s team and they say the exact opposite. He was more like Cowher in most areas except he has “his own way” of leading players.

Every coach is different. Noll was not a cheerleader. Noll was purely cerebral. With the talent he had it was all that was needed.

Cowher with lesser talent but still damn good was both cerebral and a cheerleader. A good way to be imo.

Tomlin, well he is just a cheerleader. Good motivator, in the locker room, in practice, and on the sidelines. Relies on his hires to do the thinking.
Thats not a knock. It's just the way it comes across, and I have no problem with it.

I remember a quote from one of the players about something Chuck Noll said. "If I have to motivate you,I will fire you!"

I remember a quote from one of the players about something Chuck Noll said. "If I have to motivate you,I will fire you!"
Close! “If I have to motivate you to be here, you won’t be here”.

Art2 publicly has said enough of no wins in the playoffs and he has to be better.

Actions mean more than words, as the extension implies that Rooney is pretty satisfied with Tomlin's performance.

Hard to imagine any other owner would tolerate going nearly a decade without a playoff win.

People want to blindly believe that Rooney will be rewarded for his patience, but I'm not sure how many more times the same results need to be produced before they stop expecting anything different.

8-10 wins and "one and done" is Tomlin's ceiling anymore. The apparent high floor is all Rooney cares about, as it's the bare minimum necessary to keep fans interested and buying tickets and merchandise.

Reactions: xjx
I had to look up which player said it and I was successful.

“Tip ‘o the hat“ 4ever! I didn’t know Andy said that, glad it’s on a NFL Films video. What I quoted was written in a book, although I can’t recall whose it was. Merril Hoge? Maybe Myron’s possibly, or it could have been one of Rocky’s books. They all said the same thing basically. At the professional level you self motivate to be the best. Your mentors (i.e. coaches) instruct you how to be the best.

“Tip ‘o the hat“ 4ever! I didn’t know Andy said that, glad it’s on a NFL Films video. What I quoted was written in a book, although I can’t recall whose it was. Merril Hoge? Maybe Myron’s possibly, or it could have been one of Rocky’s books. They all said the same thing basically. At the professional level you self motivate to be the best. Your mentors (i.e. coaches) instruct you how to be the best.

I've watched all of the"A Football Life" films,well the Steeler related ones anyway. That one was on Coach Noll.

And boom, a bang, a boom boom bang out the wazoo up to the Poconos and to the shoes.

Tomlin couldn't "motivate" his team to give up less than 40 averaging the last 4 playoff games. 40+ the last 4. Tremendous work Mike.

FreeVector-FreeVector-Broken-Record.jpg

Tomlin couldn't "motivate" his team to give up less than 40 averaging the last 4 playoff games. 40+ the last 4. Tremendous work Mike.
Boy, the Dumbass just never leaves you whatever you call yourself. The last four playoff games over 40 points given up? Coach, go back to school. You can’t count.

The last playoff game, against the Bills was 31-17, before that was against KC who put up 40+ on BUF as well. Mahomes was unstoppable.

Prior to that was the CLE game, where they scored 40+ points and given 5 turnovers, and still had less than 400 yards of offense while PIT put up approx 550+ yards. Hard to win any game with you have 5 TO.

Then it’s your favorite game to scream happily like a 10 year old girl. Where both teams put up 40+ points but JAX only had barely 200 yards passing. 380 yards total. Ben handed over two TO’s for TDs inside his own 30 yard line. JAX was out gunned on offense, but bullt a 21 point lead midway through the second quarter. The kept the clock moving by running the ball and PIT ran out of time on the comeback.

Thats 3 games with 40 points not 4 dumb ***. Even then, two of those games both teams were scoring at will. Your myopic viewpoints with no context describe your intelligence quotient.

What a moron.

Boy, the Dumbass just never leaves you whatever you call yourself. The last four playoff games over 40 points given up? Coach, go back to school. You can’t count.

The last playoff game, against the Bills was 31-17, before that was against KC who put up 40+ on BUF as well. Mahomes was unstoppable.

Prior to that was the CLE game, where they scored 40+ points and given 5 turnovers, and still had less than 400 yards of offense while PIT put up approx 550+ yards. Hard to win any game with you have 5 TO.

Then it’s your favorite game to scream happily like a 10 year old girl. Where both teams put up 40+ points but JAX only had barely 200 yards passing. 380 yards total. Ben handed over two TO’s for TDs inside his own 30 yard line. JAX was out gunned on offense, but bullt a 21 point lead midway through the second quarter. The kept the clock moving by running the ball and PIT ran out of time on the comeback.

Thats 3 games with 40 points not 4 dumb ***. Even then, two of those games both teams were scoring at will. Your myopic viewpoints with no context describe your intelligence quotient.

What a moron.
Reading and comprehension is not your strong suit is it? We AVERAGED giving up 40+ points a game, Einstein.

What a moron.
Tomlin couldn't "motivate" his team to give up less than 40 averaging the last 4 playoff games. 40+ the last 4.

Reading and comprehension is not your strong suit is it? We AVERAGED giving up 40+ points a game, Einstein.
Hey! Hey! It worked! Look Drink, I’m not on the ignore list! Coach/Greg Lloyd/Lloyd just chooses selectively to which rebuttal to not run from.

Those lessons from the S10 really helped!!

Tomlin couldn't "motivate" his team to give up less than 40 averaging the last 4 playoff games. 40+ the last 4.
Yep, your arithmetic is sound. Kudos to your elementary/middle school teachers in teaching you. We understand your dislike for Tomlin. Your entire input to this board is centralized from that one notion. It’s also boring, repetitive and limits your ability to be acknowledged on other football topics. You probably could have a rationale conversation about football, IF you left your estrogen heightened observations about one person in the organization.

Yep, your arithmetic is sound. Kudos to your elementary/middle school teachers in teaching you. We understand your dislike for Tomlin. Your entire input to this board is centralized from that one notion. It’s also boring, repetitive and limits your ability to be acknowledged on other football topics. You probably could have a rationale conversation about football, IF you left your estrogen heightened observations about one person in the organization.
I can't help that so many need help in determining just how awful Tomlin is in running the Steeler team; he's just God awful but enjoys the warped credit for being exceptional. It is so very sad. And misdirected.

pretty sure Ike just politely called lloyd a *****

I can't help that so many need help in determining just how awful Tomlin is in running the Steeler team; he's just God awful but enjoys the warped credit for being exceptional. It is so very sad. And misdirected.
Well, there are a tremendous amount of members on this board who can’t help how much we enjoy seeing Tomlin living rent free in your head, even though you have no control over the situation. Nor do we care why you need to continually complain About it ad nauseam. It would be
better if you just actually be the closet JAX fan that you are and run to their board.

very sad. And misdirected.

Salute the nation

Well, there are a tremendous amount of members on this board who can’t help how much we enjoy seeing Tomlin living rent free in your head, even though you have no control over the situation. Nor do we care why you need to continually complain About it ad nauseam. It would be
better if you just actually be the closet JAX fan that you are and run to their board.
Congrats, you made the list. I thought you already made my ignore list. But you made it, congrats. You are toast, no need to see your comments anymore. You are history, like you were never born.