• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Joe Haden: “I just love Coach Tomlin”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Heading into this week’s matchup against AFC North division-rival Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Joe Haden spent some time with the media earlier this week.

Haden is no stranger to the Browns organization, as he was their first-round pick (7th overall) back in 2010. After experiencing 7 consecutive losing seasons from 2010 through 2016, Haden found greener pastures in Pittsburgh with head coach Mike Tomlin. Tomlin has always been known to be a “player’s coach” and with the recent rumors being spread this week about a possible departure to college, Tomlin was quick to denounce those. But it wasn’t only the media who saw it; the players saw it too. Naturally, Haden was asked what he thought of Tomlin’s remarks earlier in the week. Haden explained:

“Oh my goodness. Like I tell everybody, the team meetings, everything, he [Tomlin] just knows how to carry yourself, be a man, address the things, address issues, shut stuff down; and that’s another reason I was watching that interview just smiling from ear to ear like, ‘look at coach handling business’.” When asked if those comments created extra motivation in the locker room, Haden said, “I think so. I think when your coach just carries himself like that and he’s just a leader of men. He does everything the right way. I just love Coach Tomlin and everything he stands for. That’s just another reason right there.” Haden concluded by proclaiming, “His passion and just knowing that he says, ‘we’re football players and what we do is not who we are’, he means it. Everything Coach T. does is a great example of what I love to do, honestly.”

His tweet that followed Tomlin’s comments confirmed those admirations:

COACH TOMLIN tells me Run through a WALL…
😂
🐐
pic.twitter.com/wdsSzhom2m

— Joe Haden (@joehaden23) October 27, 2021

The conversation then swung towards the challenges the Browns’ offense pose this week. Although the Browns are entering this week with a long list of injuries, the Steelers defense is not taking them lightly. Between an injured Baker Mayfield and healthy Case Keenum, we still do not know what Browns quarterback we’ll see on Sunday. Haden discussed any differences in preparation between the two possible quarterbacks and keys to the defense being effective this week:

“I like Baker Mayfield; I think he’s a little better than Case Keenum. I think he has a little more arm strength. But besides that, they’re a really run-heavy-first team. Their offensive line is unreal and the running backs behind them are amazing. They’ve been running the ball really well for a while now, so the key thing to stopping the Browns is not just stopping Baker, just standing back there dropping back to pass; when it’s first and second down, put them in third and long possessions. But they don’t get in those possessions because they can run the ball so well on first and second. So I think our biggest thing is to make sure we can stop the run and hopefully get them into the pass where TJ [Watt] and the boys can get after them.”

Thinking back to the last time these two teams met, Haden was not available to participate. Although he was healthy, he had to sit out due to COVID-protocols and watch the game from his basement. When asked about any extra fuel or hunger that adds to this game, Haden responded:

“It does, but it’s just playing against Cleveland and Pittsburgh. That’s just what it is ever since I got into the league, I’ve known they do not like each other and this is just a strong rivalry, and them beating us in the playoffs last year just brings a little more added to it.”

Although the “Browns versus Steelers” is considered a rivalry, it hasn’t always lived up to the hype. The Steelers hold a 77-61-1 all-time record against the Browns. Just going back to 2010, the Steelers are 17-5-1 against Cleveland. Haden is a unique player, in that he’s experienced both sides of this rivalry. When asked about the differences between the two organizations, Haden explained:

“There’s not too much turnaround. I think when I was there, that was the main thing; different quarterbacks, different coaches, different staff. They’ve been rocking with the same staff now for a little bit longer.” In regards to the culture inside the Steelers’ organization, Haden said, “I don’t think they [the younger players] understand completely that, when you get drafted to Pittsburgh what you’re in. Because when I got here, I already was somewhere else, so just seeing it, if you don’t know anything different, you think this is just the way it is, but it’s really not. Even James Pierre today, he was like ‘I’m a Steeler’, just said it out loud. I’m standing on the sideline like, ‘Hell yea you are.’”

The Steelers are slated to take on the Browns this Sunday in what will be their 140th meeting since 1950.

What do you think about this rivalry? Who do you think is going to come out with a win? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I hope they do sign him so he can retire a Steeler. He is still our best CB, a great leader on the team and in the community. Sign him to something that works in case he starts to fade hard in a year or two.
I'd consider 2yrs $14-16M range with a low signing bonus and high salaries, making it easier to cut if he falls off the cliff.

We know you want that contract extended, Joe. It's not likely to happen though.
I think it all depends what he wants.

Joe- I love mike Tomlin. thats why I am looking forward to free agency.

“Oh my goodness. Like I tell everybody, the team meetings, everything, he [Tomlin] just knows how to carry yourself, be a man, address the things, address issues, shut stuff down; and that’s another reason I was watching that interview just smiling from ear to ear like, ‘look at coach handling business’.” When asked if those comments created extra motivation in the locker room, Haden said, “I think so. I think when your coach just carries himself like that and he’s just a leader of men. He does everything the right way. I just love Coach Tomlin and everything he stands for. That’s just another reason right there.” Haden concluded by proclaiming, “His passion and just knowing that he says, ‘we’re football players and what we do is not who we are’, he means it. Everything Coach T. does is a great example of what I love to do, honestly.”

That all sounds great Joe but the only thing you didn't mention was his exceptional knowledge of the game. Or maybe you just forgot.

That all sounds great Joe but the only thing you didn't mention was his exceptional knowledge of the game. Or maybe you just forgot.
Wish there was a game show filmed sometime during the off season that pit fans against coaches in regards to "exceptional knowledge of the game".
It would be interesting to see how many fans know as much about the game as they think they do; AND how many head coaches are as clueless as the fans think they are.

Wish there was a game show filmed sometime during the off season that pit fans against coaches in regards to "exceptional knowledge of the game".
It would be interesting to see how many fans know as much about the game as they think they do; AND how many head coaches are as clueless as the fans think they are.
I think he knows football and knows how to motivate. It is the X and Os that I feel isn't his strong suit. You need that in the clutch moments leading up to and into the playoffs. The Steelers have looked silly too often too many times when it mattered the most. Over a significant amount of time too. I think if they do a show and zoom in both sides of this coin are shown.

I think he knows football and knows how to motivate. It is the X and Os that I feel isn't his strong suit. You need that in the clutch moments leading up to and into the playoffs. The Steelers have looked silly too often too many times when it mattered the most. Over a significant amount of time too. I think if they do a show and zoom in both sides of this coin are shown.
I get what you're saying Slash. What bothers me about that is that if we look back at those times, there's usually a boneheaded play made by a player or a physical mistake like a fumble at key moments. Or, injuries the last few years have turned the team to ****. I keep seeing "Tombert" (I've used it myself), but it's Colbert that has this team sitting on a windfall of extra cap space and refuses to even sniff at better OL/DL depth or starters; even when there are established players begging for a paycheck.

Tomlin has his faults. That's a fact. No coach is perfect and none ever will be. All I can really say is that I want the Steelers to win (every game... lol) and if Tomlin AND these players can't get the job done, then it's time for Tomlin AND some of these players to move on. And if Colbert can no longer build a high caliber roster, he needs to pack his bags along with everyone else.

I get what you're saying Slash. What bothers me about that is that if we look back at those times, there's usually a boneheaded play made by a player or a physical mistake like a fumble at key moments. Or, injuries the last few years have turned the team to ****. I keep seeing "Tombert" (I've used it myself), but it's Colbert that has this team sitting on a windfall of extra cap space and refuses to even sniff at better OL/DL depth or starters; even when there are established players begging for a paycheck.

Tomlin has his faults. That's a fact. No coach is perfect and none ever will be. All I can really say is that I want the Steelers to win (every game... lol) and if Tomlin AND these players can't get the job done, then it's time for Tomlin AND some of these players to move on. And if Colbert can no longer build a high caliber roster, he needs to pack his bags along with everyone else.
Sometimes a fresh start is needed. I think that is it in a nutshell. And yeah that goes with Ben and Colbert as well. Doesn't really throw shade overall their way. As we know that clock ticks for everyone. All three can be proud of accomplishments. I thought this year Tombert missed the boat in free agency. Those obviously deficiencies reared their ugly head. It was like through the whole process everyone spelled out the holes and they just remained. I think that irked me more than anything else. The fail to field a team that gave BB a fighting chance. DE/NT and Corner and LT was very suspect decisions. Which ultimately contributed heavily to the mediocre record. Of course some good mixed in but not enough to boast a championship caliber roster.

Sometimes a fresh start is needed. I think that is it in a nutshell. And yeah that goes with Ben and Colbert as well. Doesn't really throw shade overall their way. As we know that clock ticks for everyone. All three can be proud of accomplishments. I thought this year Tombert missed the boat in free agency. Those obviously deficiencies reared their ugly head. It was like through the whole process everyone spelled out the holes and they just remained. I think that irked me more than anything else. The fail to field a team that gave BB a fighting chance. DE/NT and Corner and LT was very suspect decisions. Which ultimately contributed heavily to the mediocre record. Of course some good mixed in but not enough to boast a championship caliber roster.
It’s also today’s nfl climate. Teams are evolving and trending with the rules. The Steelers being a traditional mainstay often makes the Steelers approach outdated. I think the Steelers being consistent in personnel is approved by the hardcore fans, but the nfl is different.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I feel our team is stone age in the league now

24B613E9-00C4-4216-B1F6-6ABFF5DF31FA.pngMTC to Joe Haden - “Sit your *** down Tom Cruise”

COACHing team will win everytime. Hardly an exception if using the common fan, including myself and many many here. I think it would be fun the first couple episodes then boring as hell.!

EDIT: A twist could be 1/2 and 1/2 football and the occupation of the fan. Knowledge questions pertaining to both would make it very interesting. I'd definately take that action against any nfl coach, as long as the NFL fixed wasn't in play.

Salute the nation