• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin to ponder coming back after the season is over

Like I keep saying concerning Tomlin.
He’s the fireman putting out the fires in the forest but he’s also the arsonist who started those fires.
That’s Tomlin in a nutshell.
Constantly loses to bad teams he should beat by having his team flat and unprepared.
The main stream media is woke and playing politics. This is the minority HC and they constantly harp on a meaningless non losing record. That’s all Tomlin has.

Now all the pundits on NFL Network are all criticizing the fans for wanting Tomlin gone.
Saying crap like “go see what life is like without Tomlin”. “Tomlin keeps the team in the mix until the end at 500 or above”. “He had a non losing season without a QB”.
Total ******* bs! Like we can’t find a replacement for Tomlin.
Please resign and let us find out if we can survive without you.

Like I keep saying concerning Tomlin.
He’s the fireman putting out the fires in the forest but he’s also the arsonist who started those fires.
That’s Tomlin in a nutshell.
Constantly loses to bad teams he should beat by having his team flat and unprepared.
The main stream media is woke and playing politics. This is the minority HC and they constantly harp on a meaningless non losing record. That’s all Tomlin has.
The term "reading his own press clippings too much" certainly applies here. The term was invented before the internet but applies even more so. He fell in love with all his positive press he's been getting and with a slight movement to some negative, he can't take it; he's turned into a spoiled brat; anything negative published/posted and he couldn't take it. He was the great Mike Tomlin; who dares to say anything negative about the great "Cool Shades?".

You see, he is above answering questions he does not like. Instead of answering them, he's "boom, woosh, gone." And Rooney's OK with a head coach like that?

Hire Gruden or Lefty as OC and it’s widely understood that they will be the new HC.
Agree with Gruden as OC.
Get Tomlin under contract extension and get rid of any off season distractions.
Tomlin was Gruden assistant with Tampa so they have a connection.

The announcers on the game yesterday said this was coach of the year stuff from Tomlin, WTF?????
Peter King is on the Fan right now, saying this was an accomplishment by Tomlin this season, again WTF?????
The national perspective is that the Steelers have a trash roster every year and Tomlin drags them into playoff contention ever year. I still think they have more talent (4th or 5th seed) and they underachieve. They still need difference makers on offense to be a legit contender, but the national media's perception is off base.

The term "reading his own press clippings too much" certainly applies here. The term was invented before the internet but applies even more so. He fell in love with all his positive press he's been getting and with a slight movement to some negative, he can't take it; he's turned into a spoiled brat; anything negative published/posted and he couldn't take it. He was the great Mike Tomlin; who dares to say anything negative about the great "Cool Shades?".

You see, he is above answering questions he does not like. Instead of answering them, he's "boom, woosh, gone." And Rooney's OK with a head coach like that?

To be fair, Cowher was every bit as belligerent to reporters he didnt like.

So tired of hearing we should just accept mediocrity because they'll never do better. Three coaches since 1969 and all have added to the trophy case; I trust they'll do their diligence.
I wonder when all these talking heads will have the balls to say what they really mean. When it's time to can McCarthy/Belicheat but stupid to can Tomlin, it's all about agenda not performance.

I believe the real concern with Coach T is that he now feels more relevant and critical to the franchise than his boss and the Steeler organization overall...
He has become the face of the Pittsburgh Steeler organization...and no one dares challenges that....including the players.,

The one thing you can say about Dan Rooney & Jerry Jones...is that they were/are the BOSS and the rest of the organization knew it...
Even Bill Belichek always knew who the boss was in New England..

I don't believe the same can be said in Pittsburgh at the moment.

I believe they are a crossroads with Tomlin..
To me there's only 2 totally opposite paths forward right now....they should either make him a part owner or let him walk..

Just one man's opinion..

What the national sports media fails to mention about this “trash roster” is that Mike Tomlin is very much involved in constructing these “trash rosters.”
Tomlin has great input when it comes to the roster.
He’s totally involved in the draft process and free agency so if the Steelers have a “trash roster” look no further than Mike Tomlin.
This woke *** media act as though Tomlin was dropped in from the heavens to coach this ****** team.
Report the facts you morons!

Now all the pundits on NFL Network are all criticizing the fans for wanting Tomlin gone.
Saying crap like “go see what life is like without Tomlin”. “Tomlin keeps the team in the mix until the end at 500 or above”. “He had a non losing season without a QB”.
Total ******* bs! Like we can’t find a replacement for Tomlin.
Please resign and let us find out if we can survive without you.
Even staying competitive until the end, the Steelers have not been an entertaining product for at least 3 years now. They aren't fun to watch at all.

I believe the real concern with Coach T is that he now feels more relevant and critical to the franchise than his boss and the Steeler organization overall...
He has become the face of the Pittsburgh Steeler organization...and no one dares challenges that....including the players.,

The one thing you can say about Dan Rooney & Jerry Jones...is that they were/are the BOSS and the rest of the organization knew it...
Even Bill Belichek always knew who the boss was in New England..

I don't believe the same can be said in Pittsburgh at the moment.

I believe they are a crossroads with Tomlin..
To me there's only 2 totally opposite paths forward right now....they should either make him a part owner or let him walk..

Just one man's opinion..
are you on drugs??

What the national sports media fails to mention about this “trash roster” is that Mike Tomlin is very much involved in constructing these “trash rosters.”
Tomlin has great input when it comes to the roster.
He’s totally involved in the draft process and free agency so if the Steelers have a “trash roster” look no further than Mike Tomlin.
This woke *** media act as though Tomlin was dropped in from the heavens to coach this ****** team.
Report the facts you morons!
Point of clarification please. If the media is not reporting things that others see, wouldn't that make the media "the asleep media"? At least the "snoozing" media?
Ahhh, but nevermind. My question has as much to do with football as the use of the term "woke" itself does. My apologies.

Point of clarification please. If the media is not reporting things that others see, wouldn't that make the media "the asleep media"? At least the "snoozing" media?
Ahhh, but nevermind. My question has as much to do with football as the use of the term "woke" itself does. My apologies.
I think it’s just indicative of how things are today.
The main stream media is pure bs today.They don’t report the facts but more to keeping with the narrative.

I think it’s just indicative of how things are today.
The main stream media is pure bs today.They don’t report the facts but more to keeping with the narrative.
Well, if we know this, why even bother to give them any credibility? Personally, I think that we all know where this team has been with Tomlin as HC for awhile now. I think most of us don't trust that it will be better with him here and are willing to see what a new/fresh voice/approach will bring to the table. But, one thing I don't need is the media, whether it's liberal/conservative/or Mark Madden telling me how to think or validating my opinions. I'll do that for myself

If he gets three more years nothing will change absolutely nothing.
This is the thing I just don’t get with the give Tomlin more time crowd. He’s had 17 years......what’s the stat? Won playoff games 4 times in 17 years? Hasn’t won in 7?
I would say there are more questions than answers by far with the current players and coaches.
Doesn’t the above just say it all?

The announcers on the game yesterday said this was coach of the year stuff from Tomlin, WTF?????
Peter King is on the Fan right now, saying this was an accomplishment by Tomlin this season, again WTF?????
It’s ridiculous. I think it was you comparing the stats to the Dallas coach. Are these guys all so lazy to look **** up?

This is the thing I just don’t get with the give Tomlin more time crowd. He’s had 17 years......what’s the stat? Won playoff games 4 times in 17 years? Hasn’t won in 7?
I would say there are more questions than answers by far with the current players and coaches.
Doesn’t the above just say it all?
Even the playoff wins mostly came against backup QBs. We need an offensive minded X and O HC. No doubt in my mind...

It’s ridiculous. I think it was you comparing the stats to the Dallas coach. Are these guys all so lazy to look **** up?
It wouldn't fit their agenda to look it up.

These pundits only look at the 17 years without a losing record. On the broadcast yesterday Tony **** and the other dude didn't even know about the years of no playoff win in a row and how bad we have lost in the last 5 years. So, of course, they keep going to bat for Tomlin as they know nothing about his real record.

Well, "belligerent" is one thing. I don't really mind that, it can be a source of good humor (see old time clips with Ditka, Buddy Ryan, Gerry Glanville, Big Tuna, et al).
It's more of the weak sauce material that bothers me, running from the presser if a question comes up he doesn't like. Belligerent? That can be funny stuff.

I don’t recall Cowher ever walking out on a press conference because he didn’t like the question.

Sure he cold stared, answered meaningless, but never walked out——— just going out of memory.

Tomlin should have the meaningless answers down pat by now, but as usual……. Not prepared.

Salute the nation

The national perspective is that the Steelers have a trash roster every year and Tomlin drags them into playoff contention ever year. I still think they have more talent (4th or 5th seed) and they underachieve. They still need difference makers on offense to be a legit contender, but the national media's perception is off base.
The steelers roster is loaded compared to some of these teams.

I compare him to Jon gruden and Tony dungy... each built great teams in their first hc stops, but ultimately had to relocate to really have more success... Gruden had to go where a D was established... Dungy had to get an offense

I don’t recall Cowher ever walking out on a press conference because he didn’t like the question.

Sure he cold stared, answered meaningless, but never walked out——— just going out of memory.

Tomlin should have the meaningless answers down pat by now, but as usual……. Not prepared.
"Not prepared" is an "all-too-frequent" description of Shades in general, I have to admit. And it permeates over the entire team.

The last three QBs the Steelers (Tomlin) have beaten in the playoffs.

2016 - Miami Dolphins - QB Matt Moore
2016 - Kansas City Chiefs - QB Alex Smith
2015 - Cincinnati Bengals - QB AJ McCarron

That's some real HOF competition there.

The losses going back to the Green Bay SB loss....

2023 - Buffalo Bills - QB Josh Allen
2021 - Kansas City Chiefs - QB Patrick Mahomes
2020 - Cleveland Browns - QB Baker Mayfield
2017 - Jacksonville Jaguars - QB Blake Bortles
2016 - New England Patriots - QB Tom Brady
2015 - Denver Broncos - QB Peyton Manning
2014 - Baltimore Ravens - QB - Joe Flacco
2011 - Denver Broncos - QB - Tim Tebow

Not only 3-8 since 2011 in the playoffs but not beating one single top flight QB. Any hard scrutiny to Tomlins record just makes it worse and worse. He is nothing special.