• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

John McCain Dead at 81

Someone posted a link to the U.S. Code regarding flags on FB yesterday and it said that for members of Congress the flag is to be at half staff on the day they died plus the next day. Further, the flag is to be raised all the way first, then lowered. When the flag is taken down for the night or whenever, it is to be raised to the top first, then lowered.

That is exactly right. People all over facebook outraged that the flag was raised back up on Monday. Why? Trump followed protocol. Anything to get people all bent out of shape over absolutely nothing.

After explaining that to the haters on social media, the question I got was "Well, how long do you think any other President would have kept it at half staff?" Does it matter? Trump followed protocol just like many Presidents before him. Why wasn't it an issue when Obama did it for Arlen Specter or when Bush did it for Senator Byrd? Because their name isn't Trump, period. I mean, Trump gives people plenty to be upset about, do you really need to make up ****? Is it that damn important?

Politics in this country is off the rails. I honestly believe people just want to be offended or upset at SOMETHING just so they feel like they fit in because being upset, offended and outraged is the new hotness. You watch those man in the street interviews, and people don't even know why they are protesting. There is plenty going on in America and around the world to get upset about. No need manufacturing fake controversies.

I don't know, he spent 2 years in solitary confinement, right? Would you consider that being treated well? I honestly don't know enough about the particulars but on it's face it doesn't seem like he got special treatment if he's in solitary confinement for an entire 2 years.

How long into captivity did it take until they found out who he was? If you are not getting beaten and tortured, but are in solitary confinement, I would say that is better than both. From what I have read, they tried to use him as a propaganda tool and as such, treated him much better than the other prisoners. Again, only after they found out who he was. I can't say he was treated well prior to that.

Look, I am not trying to minimize his time in captivity. I am sure he lived a pretty terrible version of hell on earth for five years. I was asking questions after some of the **** I read on line. And just like most things, when you go search for the truth, there is so much information and disinformation on any given person or subject that it is hard to pick out the truth. For example, there is testimony from some of his fellow captives that he gave up important target information for an upcoming bombing raid that allowed the NVA to adjust their air defenses and shoot down a bunch of planes as a result. I don't know if that is true or not. Trying to find this **** out is incredibly difficult.

That is exactly right. People all over facebook outraged that the flag was raised back up on Monday. Why? Trump followed protocol. Anything to get people all bent out of shape over absolutely nothing.

After explaining that to the haters on social media, the question I got was "Well, how long do you think any other President would have kept it at half staff?" Does it matter? Trump followed protocol just like many Presidents before him. Why wasn't it an issue when Obama did it for Arlen Specter or when Bush did it for Senator Byrd? Because their name isn't Trump, period. I mean, Trump gives people plenty to be upset about, do you really need to make up ****? Is it that damn important?

Politics in this country is off the rails. I honestly believe people just want to be offended or upset at SOMETHING just so they feel like they fit in because being upset, offended and outraged is the new hotness. You watch those man in the street interviews, and people don't even know why they are protesting. There is plenty going on in America and around the world to get upset about. No need manufacturing fake controversies.

Thank you to you and Ron for setting the record straight. We are so easy to jump off the bridge before waiting for the details. I know I can be guilty of it, but do try to not overreact until all the facts come out. It's easier to come to a conclusion when all or most of the facts come to light.

Thank you to you and Ron for setting the record straight. We are so easy to jump off the bridge before waiting for the details. I know I can be guilty of it, but do try to not overreact until all the facts come out. It's easier to come to a conclusion when all or most of the facts come to light.

The left goes apeshit over an extra scoop of ice cream. They are totally irrational, about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I really wish the President would've taken the high road on this issue, beginning when McCain announced that he had terminal cancer. But whatever disrespect Trump has shown to McCain, McCain asked for it, over and over again, right up to the end. He showed more respect to Obama in the clip I posted above, and Obama returned his respect by publicly treating him like a pile of ****. Yet he never treated Obama with the disrespect he has shown President Trump up to the day of his death.

Right. It’s not like he died unexpectedly. The administration had months to prepare for how they would handle this and none-the-less **** the ******* bed.... again!

How does anyone have confidence that Trump and his team have their act together for anything?

Right. It’s not like he died unexpectedly. The administration had months to prepare for how they would handle this and none-the-less **** the ******* bed.... again!

How does anyone have confidence that Trump and his team have their act together for anything?

sorry Trog, but you need to re-read Sarge's and Ron B's posts about the flag protocol. It was followed. I gave Trump ****, too until it became clear how the raising and lowering of the flag was to be handled of a member of Congress' death.

sorry Trog, but you need to re-read Sarge's and Ron B's posts about the flag protocol. It was followed. I gave Trump ****, too until it became clear how the raising and lowering of the flag was to be handled of a member of Congress' death.

Who cares about that. Trump was asked TEN times by reporters to comment on McCain and he sat stone faced and silent with his arms folded like a toddler that had been put in timeout.

Who cares about that.

A lot of people. Been all over the news.

Trump was asked TEN times by reporters to comment on McCain and he sat stone faced and silent with his arms folded like a toddler that had been put in timeout.

While I can agree with your sentiment, I am actually happy he didn't say anything. The media knows that Trump and McCain dislike each other. They were hoping for something they could run on the 24 hour news cycle, hoping Trump would say something ignorant, and he probably would have. If he gives glowing praise to a man he dislikes, it is hypocrisy. If he says something awful, well, he's an ***. He can't win. Might be of his own doing, but there is no good outcome for Trump by saying or not saying anything.

Sometimes, it is better just to say nothing. Personally, I am hoping this is a trend.

Who cares about that. Trump was asked TEN times by reporters to comment on McCain and he sat stone faced and silent with his arms folded like a toddler that had been put in timeout.

They like to poke the bear hoping he says something that will get headlines. He made his statement, but obviously that wasn't good enough for the media. His silence stirs up people like you, too. It's comical.

**** YOU....you self righteous *******! You accuse us of using this thread to "somehow still finding this as a proving ground to make your point about whatever vendetta or agenda your are carrying around" And then you tell us "you should be ******* ashamed of yourself."

And then you go on an anti-Trump rant of your own, finding this as a proving ground to make your point about whatever vendetta or agenda your are carrying around.
YOU should be ******* ashamed of yourself

And by the way...............we all know that if McCain died 3 years ago, you wouldn't give a rats ***. You are not fooling anyone.

I would have said the exact same thing 3 years ago because I know how to think for my ******* self. I don't have anything against John McCain. My biggest issue with him was not being true enough to himself and pandering to the fringes of the Republican party base during his election by bringing Sarah Palin on as his running mate. He handled himself with dignity for the majority of his time in Washington. I can't be mad at that.

My beef with Donald Trump has nothing to do with him being a Republican (because he is not) nor do I feel some misguided and blind duty to just **** on anything that doesn't fit in some weird bubble. It has to do with the fact that the man is a fraud and literally only cares about himself. He would say just about anything for attention and makes everything about himself. At least most politicians who lie have some sense of responsibility for the country and can understand the sacrifice on a certain level. LBJ and Nixon were both horrible people but they at least cared enough about their legacy and the country to do what was right in the moment and put their bullshit aside. McCain actually served his country. The fact that some "conservative" people are defending Trump is ridiculous when you put it in contrast of how people are talking a swing at McCain on his way out. The narrative gets changed and bar gets raised and lowered whenever it fits into your bullshit.

A lot of people. Been all over the news.

While I can agree with your sentiment, I am actually happy he didn't say anything. The media knows that Trump and McCain dislike each other. They were hoping for something they could run on the 24 hour news cycle, hoping Trump would say something ignorant, and he probably would have. If he gives glowing praise to a man he dislikes, it is hypocrisy. If he says something awful, well, he's an ***. He can't win. Might be of his own doing, but there is no good outcome for Trump by saying or not saying anything.

Sometimes, it is better just to say nothing. Personally, I am hoping this is a trend.

Exactly right. There was nothing he could have said that the media wouldn't have interpreted badly.

He should have done what Obama did...had a PR person write his public statement.

Bottom Line: Trump Did What McCain Could Not

Win The Presidency!

Screen-Shot-2017-04-20-at-10.03.32-AM-1492697045-640x415.png

My beef with Donald Trump has nothing to do with him being a Republican (because he is not) nor do I feel some misguided and blind duty to just **** on anything that doesn't fit in some weird bubble. It has to do with the fact that the man is a fraud and literally only cares about himself. He would say just about anything for attention and makes everything about himself. At least most politicians who lie have some sense of responsibility for the country and can understand the sacrifice on a certain level. LBJ and Nixon were both horrible people but they at least cared enough about their legacy and the country to do what was right in the moment and put their bullshit aside. McCain actually served his country. The fact that some "conservative" people are defending Trump is ridiculous when you put it in contrast of how people are talking a swing at McCain on his way out. The narrative gets changed and bar gets raised and lowered whenever it fits into your bullshit.

First, Trump is certainly not one of those who "took a swing at McCain on his way out." He had nothing bad to say about the guy over the past several days.

Second, I am not fixated on the President's character. I'm not. Would I prefer a Lincoln to Trump in terms of personal behavior? Absolutely, for a lot of reasons. As a role model for citizens, as less of a lightning rod to all things cultural and acceptable, as an example of tempered behavior, etc.

However, the President's role AS PRESIDENT is to lead foreign policy and guide the economy first and foremost. Trump is obliterating Obama in that regard. Talks with the Norks, ISIS decimated, economy exploding, 4.1% GDP growth last quarter, potential 5% GDP growth this quarter, low inflation, almost non-existent unemployment, rising median income (somebody tell Hyphen), much improved trade deals with allies, housing starts up, and on and on.

So given a choice between a President who is a model of personal behavior but demonstrably bad at foreign policy, trade and the economy (Obama), and a blowhard, bloviating narcissist who is advancing America's interests abroad, working out very favorable trade deals, and overseeing an economy that is simply exploding (Trump), I take the latter. Every day. Twice on Sundays.

To repeat, Trump can be both a bad person and a good President. He seems to prove that point time and again.

40227565_2163329317241748_4483018126908194816_n.jpg

He should have done what Obama did...had a PR person write his public statement.

In fairness, PR people have written a lot of statements for him. He has rejected most of them and said things in his own words. In some cases, it went bad. Somehow, I think releasing a statement from a PR person was never gonna happen.

Look, I am not trying to minimize his time in captivity. I am sure he lived a pretty terrible version of hell on earth for five years. I was asking questions after some of the **** I read on line. And just like most things, when you go search for the truth, there is so much information and disinformation on any given person or subject that it is hard to pick out the truth. For example, there is testimony from some of his fellow captives that he gave up important target information for an upcoming bombing raid that allowed the NVA to adjust their air defenses and shoot down a bunch of planes as a result. I don't know if that is true or not. Trying to find this **** out is incredibly difficult.

Very true. And why I appreciate your level-headedness and desire to search for the truth on subjects. Like you said, it can be really difficult to find sometimes.

First, Trump is certainly not one of those who "took a swing at McCain on his way out." He had nothing bad to say about the guy over the past several days.

Second, I am not fixated on the President's character. I'm not. Would I prefer a Lincoln to Trump in terms of personal behavior? Absolutely, for a lot of reasons. As a role model for citizens, as less of a lightning rod to all things cultural and acceptable, as an example of tempered behavior, etc.

However, the President's role AS PRESIDENT is to lead foreign policy and guide the economy first and foremost. Trump is obliterating Obama in that regard. Talks with the Norks, ISIS decimated, economy exploding, 4.1% GDP growth last quarter, potential 5% GDP growth this quarter, low inflation, almost non-existent unemployment, rising median income (somebody tell Hyphen), much improved trade deals with allies, housing starts up, and on and on.

So given a choice between a President who is a model of personal behavior but demonstrably bad at foreign policy, trade and the economy (Obama), and a blowhard, bloviating narcissist who is advancing America's interests abroad, working out very favorable trade deals, and overseeing an economy that is simply exploding (Trump), I take the latter. Every day. Twice on Sundays.

To repeat, Trump can be both a bad person and a good President. He seems to prove that point time and again.

What libs can't seem to get is that Trump wasn't elected because he was a choirboy.
We knew exactly what we were getting.

Oh stop your crying. Your disappointed only because you missed out on the opportunity to pounce on him for something he said.

What libs can't seem to get is that Trump wasn't elected because he was a choirboy.
We knew exactly what we were getting.

Good Point...

Well....we got it.

The guys a POS....but he is the President.

Hail to the Chief.

I would have said the exact same thing 3 years ago because I know how to think for my ******* self. I don't have anything against John McCain. My biggest issue with him was not being true enough to himself and pandering to the fringes of the Republican party base during his election by bringing Sarah Palin on as his running mate. He handled himself with dignity for the majority of his time in Washington. I can't be mad at that.

Palin was his downfall ...or he would of been POTUS>

Steel dino, while I am no fan of some of Trump's antics, can you imagine if the alternative was elected President?