• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Johnny Manziel Loves Football...and Coke

Ahh, yes. This lad reminds me of a previous squire I had, Alfred of the nearby Newman Estate. Alfred was a bit daft and even moreso after my quarterhorse Chaucer kicked him in the head and then violated him whilst unconscious. What a good laugh I had when I found them! One day whilst hunting grouse in the nearby meadow, Alfred shambled up to me and begged I release him from servitude. He claimed to have a standing job offer to model on the cover of some silly comedic parchments that were being produced monthly by some fellow in the nearby village. "Are you MAD?!" I exclaimed. Alas, I had to let Alfred go and follow his dream. I do hope he did well.

Ye Black Knight Hath Spoken!

This HAS TO BE the funniest post since Dave's diarrhea story!!!!!!!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait.. what? You mean size matters in today's NFL? So Johnny is "too small" at 6' and 207 lbs? I'm glad he isn't 5'8 173 lbs, he'd get killed.

I don't know, it's rare to see a rb get clobbered from a hard blindside hit as he's standing still looking downfield to complete a pass, and if it's wr, hell, you're not even permitted to hit them when they are "defenseless" anymore, so the rules are much more protective of the situations Archer might find himself in. Additionally, the qb plays every snap, and touches the ball on every play, so he's got a lot more chances to get hit in a game when he's not expecting it than a part time scatback/wr will.

Joe

I don't know, it's rare to see a rb get clobbered from a hard blindside hit as he's standing still looking downfield to complete a pass, and if it's wr, hell, you're not even permitted to hit them when they are "defenseless" anymore, so the rules are much more protective of the situations Archer might find himself in. Additionally, the qb plays every snap, and touches the ball on every play, so he's got a lot more chances to get hit in a game when he's not expecting it than a part time scatback/wr will.

Joe

I think the average for a RB in today's NFL is 3 years. Also just because the QB touches the ball ever play doesn't mean he can get hit all those plays. Ben only throws in the mid 20s. He hands the ball off the rest of the time. So about 45% of the plays Ben has no chance of getting hit.

Also do you not remember this:

But that's the point with Archer. Everybody talks about how he isn't going to get hurt because he doesn't play much... which is exactly what you want with a 3rd round pick.. someone who doesn't play much...

But that's the point with Archer. Everybody talks about how he isn't going to get hurt because he doesn't play much... which is exactly what you want with a 3rd round pick.. someone who doesn't play much...

Markus Wheaton
Sean Spence
Curtis Brown
Emmanuel Sanders
Mike Wallace
Keenan Lewis
Bruce Davis
Matt Spaeth

Yep, he'll fit right in.

I think the average for a RB in today's NFL is 3 years. Also just because the QB touches the ball ever play doesn't mean he can get hit all those plays. Ben only throws in the mid 20s. He hands the ball off the rest of the time. So about 45% of the plays Ben has no chance of getting hit.

Also do you not remember this:

As long as that ************ helps the team win, I don't give a **** if he only plays once per game. If Antonio Brown doesn't have his foot about one ******* inch out of bounds during that runback against Miami last year, we're talking on the board about how far this team went into the playoffs. That's what I don't get, one single play of that sort can be the difference. You give me the gift of hindsight, and ask me if I'd give up a first round pick for his foot to have been in the green, and I say hell yeah, especially if it meant we went to the superbowl last year. Is Archer one of those guys who will make a play that changes a game? I don't know yet. Will Johnny stay healthy? I don't know that either, I've seen bigger guys who were china dolls (Kendrell Bell wasn't small, was he? How about Fuamatu MaAFalla? He seemed to be a pretty large guy too, And Duce wasn't small either, all were injury prone). Size is a factor, but it's not the only factor, ask Doug Flutie. At any position, people have an "ideal" size in mind, and there are ouliers. It remains to be seen of this years crop out outliers who will be able to come in and stay healthy, and who is going to break.

Time will tell.

Joe

He plays for clownland. Who cares. Smash him like the rest.

she don't lie, she don't lie....COCAINE!

thanks to Eric Clapton...

Still think he's a helluva an athlete. Sad to see him go to cleveland

A lot of people are sick and tired of his "antics" & "press coverage". They forget if he has ability or not. The bashing is to somehow bring him down to their level. That being said, over rated spoiled brat, comes to mind.

Salute the nation

no, dumbass. Elvis is alive and is a greeter at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.

This:
What was the average size and speed of line backers and defensive lineman back then and now... Johnny Football may be a little bit bigger and more athletic than Fran, but the defense is a lot bigger and faster now.
The 70's Steelers OL averaged about 265 lb. Today the LB's are that big and a bunch faster too. Jack Lambert only weighed 225 lb at the start of the season and lost a good 10 lb or so by the end.

Last edited:
Karma to Ron for The Bruce. I'm not ashamed to say I've seen that movie at least 5 times. Ok, maybe I am a little bit, but I don't care.

Karma to Ron for The Bruce. I'm not ashamed to say I've seen that movie at least 5 times. Ok, maybe I am a little bit, but I don't care.
Shoot, I own the DVD. Vastly underrated flick with Ossie Davis as JFK.
"Hate to break this to you man, but JFK was a white guy and you're black."
"They dyed my skin!"
He was on one of the actor's studio shows and someone asked him "What do you think is the best Bruce Campbell movie?" He didn't bat an eye and said "It's hard to use the word 'best' when referring to a Bruce Campbell movie." At least my man doesn't take himself too seriously.

The Vikings breathe a huge sigh of relief. Dodged that bullet - thanks Cleveland, um, you guys need a slightly used Christian Ponder to go with that?

Shoot, I own the DVD. Vastly underrated flick with Ossie Davis as JFK.
"Hate to break this to you man, but JFK was a white guy and you're black."
"They dyed my skin!"
He was on one of the actor's studio shows and someone asked him "What do you think is the best Bruce Campbell movie?" He didn't bat an eye and said "It's hard to use the word 'best' when referring to a Bruce Campbell movie." At least my man doesn't take himself too seriously.

Oh I own it as well.

As long as that ************ helps the team win, I don't give a **** if he only plays once per game. If Antonio Brown doesn't have his foot about one ******* inch out of bounds during that runback against Miami last year, we're talking on the board about how far this team went into the playoffs. That's what I don't get, one single play of that sort can be the difference. You give me the gift of hindsight, and ask me if I'd give up a first round pick for his foot to have been in the green, and I say hell yeah, especially if it meant we went to the superbowl last year. Is Archer one of those guys who will make a play that changes a game? I don't know yet. Will Johnny stay healthy? I don't know that either, I've seen bigger guys who were china dolls (Kendrell Bell wasn't small, was he? How about Fuamatu MaAFalla? He seemed to be a pretty large guy too, And Duce wasn't small either, all were injury prone). Size is a factor, but it's not the only factor, ask Doug Flutie. At any position, people have an "ideal" size in mind, and there are ouliers. It remains to be seen of this years crop out outliers who will be able to come in and stay healthy, and who is going to break.

Time will tell.

Joe

You are missing one HUGE point.. actually the MAIN point. People on here are talking about Johnnie being small and probably being hurt all the time in the NFL because and I quote "Johnny is too small to be in the nfl. It will be fun to watch him be all colt mccoy." But somehow that ONLY applies to non- Steelers. QBs have more protection than any position on the field. But Johnnie is "too" small at 6' 207 to be any good. But Archer is 5'8 173 lbs but he is going to be great ONLY because he is a Steeler.

This was my argument in the long thread. If Archer played for the clowns people would be laughing their ***** off while criticizing him. This has nothing to do with hindsight or bigger guys getting hurt. That isn't the argument. The main issue is that people think Archer is going to succeed simply because the Steelers drafted him.

You are missing one HUGE point.. actually the MAIN point. People on here are talking about Johnnie being small and probably being hurt all the time in the NFL because and I quote "Johnny is too small to be in the nfl. It will be fun to watch him be all colt mccoy." But somehow that ONLY applies to non- Steelers. QBs have more protection than any position on the field. But Johnnie is "too" small at 6' 207 to be any good. But Archer is 5'8 173 lbs but he is going to be great ONLY because he is a Steeler.

This was my argument in the long thread. If Archer played for the clowns people would be laughing their ***** off while criticizing him. This has nothing to do with hindsight or bigger guys getting hurt. That isn't the argument. The main issue is that people think Archer is going to succeed simply because the Steelers drafted him.

There is a vast difference between:

1.) A 1st rounder and 3 rounder
2.) A QB, who us unaccustomed to hits vs. a RB, who expects contact
3.) A 4.68 and a 4.28

We all know that Archer has to play smart or he will get killed. Great thing is, he has the speed to mitigate his 'damage', such as getting outta bounds or sliding.

Johnny has neither the same elite speed or quickness to do the same. Dancing back and fourth like he did at A&M, what made him a household name, will simply cut his career short. Someone already said it but- Ben is built like a TE, yet he still manages to get hurt with his style of play

I cheer and hope for the Clowns to fail, and when they do so, it brings me great pleasure. I also hope their players all suck, and will concoct reasons they will without end till they prove me wrong. That is what one does with a team they do not like.
I cheer and hope for the Steelers to succeed, and when they do so, it brings me great pleasure. I also hope their players all do well, and will concoct reasons they will without end till they prove me wrong. This is what one does with a team they love.

I fear, the above, isn't really fully grasped by many here on this fine website.

Joe

There is a vast difference between:

1.) A 1st rounder and 3 rounder
2.) A QB, who us unaccustomed to hits vs. a RB, who expects contact
3.) A 4.68 and a 4.28

We all know that Archer has to play smart or he will get killed. Great thing is, he has the speed to mitigate his 'damage', such as getting outta bounds or sliding.

Johnny has neither the same elite speed or quickness to do the same. Dancing back and fourth like he did at A&M, what made him a household name, will simply cut his career short. Someone already said it but- Ben is built like a TE, yet he still manages to get hurt with his style of play

1.) Nothing to do with the argument at all. The discussion was about size and ability to play without getting hurt
2.) Name me the last QB to get hurt and not be able to play again... I'll wait. RBs wear down.. Willie Parker anyone? Show me a good QB that wore out before he turned 30. QBs are protected in this league. RBs get hammered all the time and get injured all the time. Hell Bell was injured before the season even started.
3.) A few hundreds of a second over 40 yards doesn't mean ****. The NFL isn't all about speed. If it were then Jacoby Ford, DHB and Louis Murphy would be multiple SB champs with Oakland.

Yes, Ben gets hurt with his style of play but that has nothing to do with Archer. His style, according to his people, is NOT to play much. Archer wasn't playing against NFL defenses at KS and he was still injured. Now he gets to the NFL and people think he is going to be doing the exact same thing as in college WITHOUT the injuries...

But like I've said many times before and what has been proven in this thread: Archer is extoled simply because he was drafted by the Steelers. Put him on the clowns and you have laughter and a plethora of small jokes.

I cheer and hope for the Clowns to fail, and when they do so, it brings me great pleasure. I also hope their players all suck, and will concoct reasons they will without end till they prove me wrong. That is what one does with a team they do not like.
I cheer and hope for the Steelers to succeed, and when they do so, it brings me great pleasure. I also hope their players all do well, and will concoct reasons they will without end till they prove me wrong. This is what one does with a team they love.

I fear, the above, isn't really fully grasped by many here on this fine website.

Joe

I grasp it just fine (that's what she said). And I'm glad you are honest enough to admit that you like Archer simply because he is on the Steelers. That is something most on here can't do. I want him to do well and be a great player. But that doesn't taint my assessment of him as a player. The problem on here is that many assess him differently solely because he was drafted by the Steelers. Any other team that drafted him would be ridiculed.

1.) Nothing to do with the argument at all. The discussion was about size and ability to play without getting hurt
2.) Name me the last QB to get hurt and not be able to play again... I'll wait. RBs wear down.. Willie Parker anyone? Show me a good QB that wore out before he turned 30. QBs are protected in this league. RBs get hammered all the time and get injured all the time. Hell Bell was injured before the season even started.
3.) A few hundreds of a second over 40 yards doesn't mean ****. The NFL isn't all about speed. If it were then Jacoby Ford, DHB and Louis Murphy would be multiple SB champs with Oakland.

Yes, Ben gets hurt with his style of play but that has nothing to do with Archer. His style, according to his people, is NOT to play much. Archer wasn't playing against NFL defenses at KS and he was still injured. Now he gets to the NFL and people think he is going to be doing the exact same thing as in college WITHOUT the injuries...

But like I've said many times before and what has been proven in this thread: Archer is extoled simply because he was drafted by the Steelers. Put him on the clowns and you have laughter and a plethora of small jokes.

I would say that plenty of QB's have had career's cut short or unfulfilled due to injuries. Vick is a perfect example- twice the athlete but has never really been able to stay on the field. RGIII had a hellish year after struggling with his injuries

Also, just to note- there is a huuge difference between your #3 RB getting hurt and your supposed QB of the future getting hurt. Every team knows that a RB will wear down- but few teams can handle having their #1 QB in sweats.

I would say that plenty of QB's have had career's cut short or unfulfilled due to injuries. Vick is a perfect example- twice the athlete but has never really been able to stay on the field. RGIII had a hellish year after struggling with his injuries

Also, just to note- there is a huuge difference between your #3 RB getting hurt and your supposed QB of the future getting hurt. Every team knows that a RB will wear down- but few teams can handle having their #1 QB in sweats.

You seem to be having issues wrapping your head around this. Nowhere in this conversation is anybody talking about a #3 RB vs. a 1st round QB. Nobody... but somehow you want to interpose that into this conversation. That is NOT the issue.

So I'm going to assume you couldn't find any Qbs that were knocked out of playing football from an injury. RG III is healthy now and will play this year. All players play with injuries.

Vick was hurt RUNNING the football not just getting hit in the pocket... what was it again that Archer does with the ball? Vick relied on his 4.33 time and he got destroyed. So how is Archer going to be any different when Vick is 4 inches taller and 42 lbs heavier? Oh that's right, Archer isn't going to play much. Not sure I've ever heard of a player being defended by the argument "He isn't playing much".