• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Just for fun....

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
All time line ups for all teams

Not sure when this was written (they have Ken Anderson at QB for Bengals for example)

Here is the Stillers:

Offense
QB- Terry Bradshaw
RB- Franco Harris
WR- Lynn Swann
WR- Antonio Brown
WR- Hines Ward
TE- Heath Miller
LT- Jon Kolb
LG- Alan Faneca
C- Mike Webster
RG- David DeCastro
RT- Larry Brown

Defense
DE- L.C. Greenwood
DE- Dwight White
DT- Ernie Stautner
DT- Joe Greene
LB- Jack Ham
LB- Jack Lambert
LB- James Harrison
CB- Mel Blount
CB- Rod Woodson
S- Donnie Shell
S- Troy Polamalu

Maybe not Harrison? Watt will be here in the future...not quite yet.

Stallworth over AB?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Not sure when this was written (they have Ken Anderson at QB for Bengals for example)

Here is the Stillers:

Offense
QB- Terry Bradshaw
RB- Franco Harris
WR- Lynn Swann
WR- Antonio Brown
WR- Hines Ward
TE- Heath Miller
LT- Jon Kolb
LG- Alan Faneca
C- Mike Webster
RG- David DeCastro
RT- Larry Brown

Defense
DE- L.C. Greenwood
DE- Dwight White
DT- Ernie Stautner
DT- Joe Greene
LB- Jack Ham
LB- Jack Lambert
LB- James Harrison
CB- Mel Blount
CB- Rod Woodson
S- Donnie Shell
S- Troy Polamalu

Maybe not Harrison? Watt will be here in the future...no quite yet.

Stallworth over AB?

Thoughts?

Ben in over Bradshaw by two miles… also there is no excuse for the D not being a 3/4 formation… none… the Steelers ran a 4-3 for roughly 20 years… they have used a 3/4 base for 41 years

Here is the Stillers:

Offense
QB- Terry Bradshaw
RB- Franco Harris
WR- Lynn Swann
WR- Antonio Brown
WR- Hines Ward
TE- Heath Miller
LT- Jon Kolb
LG- Alan Faneca
C- Mike Webster
RG- David DeCastro
RT- Larry Brown

Defense
DE- L.C. Greenwood
DE- Dwight White
DT- Ernie Stautner
DT- Joe Greene
LB- Jack Ham
LB- Jack Lambert
LB- James Harrison
CB- Mel Blount
CB- Rod Woodson
S- Donnie Shell
S- Troy Polamalu

Stallworth over AB?

Thoughts?
I have no issue with Watt over Harrison now. Ben over Terry. I also think Dawson was more talented than Webster. I know Mike would be a popular choice. I also would give Marvel Smith a look at LT over Kolb.

Last edited:
I could not imagine having to pick this list. to many to chose from. but A. Smith?
I would sub out White for Heyward. Smith was a solid thought. Just think he probably falls a little short in the pecking order.

Ben over Terry? Who played bigger in Superbowls? Terry by far. Under today's rules Bradshaw would thrive and wouldn't be getting smashed. He also had a ******* canon for an arm and one of the best deep balls by any qb ever.

Called his own plays. I do love Ben, but if I'm in the Superbowl and I had to pick a starting qb who plays his best when it matters most,Bradshaw is my guy.

It's hard to argue against many of these.

Roethlisberger over Bradshaw at QB

Maybe Marvel Smith over Jon Kolb at LT

I agree with Dawson over Webster, best ever to play the position.

Cam Heyward over Dwight White. Heyward has been a top 2-3 IDL in football over the past 4-5 years.

The linebackers are fine, but there needs to be a spot for a second 3-4 OLB and Watt needs to be on that list.

Last edited:
I think Casey Hampton should be on there

I have no issue with Watt over Harrison now. Ben over Terry. I also think Dawson was more talented than Webster. I know Mike would be a popular choice. I also would give Marvel Smith a look at LT over Kolb.
I agree Ben over Terry. Watt must be out there. He should have won DPOY at least two in a row. Argument for three.

Ben over Terry? Who played bigger in Superbowls? Terry by far. Under today's rules Bradshaw would thrive and wouldn't be getting smashed. He also had a ******* canon for an arm and one of the best deep balls by any qb ever.

Called his own plays. I do love Ben, but if I'm in the Superbowl and I had to pick a starting qb who plays his best when it matters most,Bradshaw is my guy.

Meh every QB called his own plays back then because the offenses and defenses were simplistic… this was because for a long time it was actually illegal to have coaches call plays, and face it most players have the iq of a kumquat… so everything was built to be easy to read and call…

Modern Offenses with all the read and react adjustments are way more complex. No qb has totally called his own plays since the 90’s… even Peyton had limited plays to call from.
Ben usually called his own plays in no huddle…
There are all sorts of articles and essays why it just isn’t the same as back then.

Its all academic, but I highly doubt that Bradshaw, who famously took quite a while to figure out the super basic football of the 70’s probably wouldn’t have fared well against zone blitzes and disguised coverages. Big armed qbs flop out of the NFL every year for just that reason…

However I can’t find any reason Ben couldn’t play at a high level in the 70’s… the reads were simpler and frankly, it’s not like the rules to protect qbs were called for Ben… he took all the hits.

Ben is simply a better qb than bradshaw by a mile…

I would have to go with Ben over Terry. Ben would have tore up Terry’s era, but Terry would not tear up Ben’s era.

Everybody loves them some Webby, but I take Dirt every day, and twice on Sunday.

Eventually it will be “who gets the #2 slot after TJ”, but that will come later.

what, no love for Wil Blackwell?

While most would consider it blasphemy 🙂 I will take that Kentucky Wildcat center over Mike Webster. Dermontti was a beast and changed the way center was played. James Harrison and Antonio Brown definitely belong on the team as far as I’m concerned. Another blasphemous move I would make is John Stallworth over Lyn Swann. Our leader and captain Cameron Hayward over Dwight White. We sure have incredible choices.
By the way.......who’s our Coach?🤔

Last edited:
While most would consider it blasphemy 🙂 I will take that Kentucky Wildcat center over Mike Webster. Dermontti was a beast and changed the way center was played. James Harrison and Antonio Brown definitely belong on the team as far as I’m concerned. Another blasphemous move I would make is John Stallworth over Lyn Swann. Our leader and captain Cameron Hayward over Dwight White. We sure have incredible choices.
By the way.......whose our Coach?🤔
The one who made the Steelers into a Juggernaut.

Meh every QB called his own plays back then because the offenses and defenses were simplistic… this was because for a long time it was actually illegal to have coaches call plays, and face it most players have the iq of a kumquat… so everything was built to be easy to read and call…

Modern Offenses with all the read and react adjustments are way more complex. No qb has totally called his own plays since the 90’s… even Peyton had limited plays to call from.
Ben usually called his own plays in no huddle…
There are all sorts of articles and essays why it just isn’t the same as back then.

Its all academic, but I highly doubt that Bradshaw, who famously took quite a while to figure out the super basic football of the 70’s probably wouldn’t have fared well against zone blitzes and disguised coverages. Big armed qbs flop out of the NFL every year for just that reason…

However I can’t find any reason Ben couldn’t play at a high level in the 70’s… the reads were simpler and frankly, it’s not like the rules to protect qbs were called for Ben… he took all the hits.

Ben is simply a better qb than bradshaw by a mile…

I completely disagree. Outside of one great drive. Ben was awful in the superbowls.

We will never know. I do know Terry 4-0, Ben 2-1.

Terry Bradshaw was the Trent Dilfer of his era. He had 210 interceptions and 212 TD's in his career with two, yes TWO hall of fame wide receivers as weapons. Terry benefitted from a generational defense that won him championships and those WR's who bailed his gun slinging *** out on many occasions. Ben played in 81 more games than Terry and had just one more interception while amassing 418 TD's. Ben over Terry all day.

Stalls over Swann for me as well..he was a much more complete WR

Here is the Stillers:

Offense
QB- Terry Bradshaw
RB- Franco Harris
WR- Lynn Swann
WR- Antonio Brown
WR- Hines Ward
TE- Heath Miller
LT- Jon Kolb
LG- Alan Faneca
C- Mike Webster
RG- David DeCastro
RT- Larry Brown

Defense
DE- L.C. Greenwood
DE- Dwight White
DT- Ernie Stautner
DT- Joe Greene
LB- Jack Ham
LB- Jack Lambert
LB- James Harrison
CB- Mel Blount
CB- Rod Woodson
S- Donnie Shell
S- Troy Polamalu

Stallworth over AB?

Thoughts?

I’d take Stallworth over Swann.

HARRISON most definitely deserves to be on this list, TJ has a ways to go yet. When TJ is available, you have a strong argument of the four Ham / Lambert / Harrison / Watt.

Salute the nation

We could field a few teams with our history. Some teams have nothing.

Be grateful for thus conundrum.

This is a statement of truth.

Most teams have trouble coming up with a full list for the 22 starters.

We have at least two full teams, including STs.

Salute the nation

There are some no brainers, but the list is flawed… for instance both safeties picked are strong safeties… would it be more fitting to include a guy like Ryan clark, who isn’t nearly the talent that Donnie shell was, over him because Clark actually played free safety and they are two different positions?

And as I earlier mentioned, setting it in a 4-3 isn’t correct… yeah it caters to the Steel curtain, but it was adopted by us in the 60’s and it isn’t really what we have used since the 70’s… hell if we are trying to use a historical model of a team then the O should have two wrs and a fb… if we are going with what we predominantly use right now then we should drop a dl or olb and add a slot corner… picking the 4-3 for this is just out of touch