• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

JUSTIN FIELDS

just grab a QB in the first and keep swinging for that essential position for the team to get filled if the right guy is there
hey, it’s worked so well for the Browns, why not continue to draft 1st round QB’s every year or two.

The Steelers don’t draft a 1st rounder then bail on them in the first few years. Look back, when did they move on before the rookie deal was expiring?

Last edited:
Too expensive?
He's currently on his rookie deal worth only 6 million this year.
IF we picked up the 5th year option, that would be 2025 for less than 25 million.

A journeyman QB? Wouldn't he have had to play in more than 1 city for that to apply?
I guess by your rationale Minkah Fitzpatrick was a journeyman safety.....................?

Yes, I agree we need our 2nd rounder to plug a critical hole.
Which I firmly believe QB is pretty critical and with Pickett, Trubisky, and Rudolph is also as HOLE-LY as hole can be.
From Dictionary.com

jour·ney·man
/ˈjərnēmən/
noun

1. 1.
    a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"

So, pay this journeyman QB almost six times the current salary of Mason Rudolph next season and then pay less than 25 times what mason earns in 2025? Madness. Pay Mason 5 million per year as he already has proven to be a reliable backup QB and possibly the starter who knows the system and has earned the respect of his Lockeroom. The Steelers don't need a QB, they drafted one in Round one and like it or not, he is QB1. Drafting a QB in the first two rounds causes QB controversy and the last damn thing the Steelers need is drama. Pay Mason and go get a QB3 in FA or the later rounds of the draft.

From Dictionary.com

jour·ney·man
/ˈjərnēmən/
noun

1. 1.

So, pay this journeyman QB almost six times the current salary of Mason Rudolph next season and then pay less than 25 times what mason earns in 2025? Madness. Pay Mason 5 million per year as he already has proven to be a reliable backup QB and possibly the starter who knows the system and has earned the respect of his Lockeroom. The Steelers don't need a QB, they drafted one in Round one and like it or not, he is QB1. Drafting a QB in the first two rounds causes QB controversy and the last damn thing the Steelers need is drama. Pay Mason and go get a QB3 in FA or the later rounds of the draft.
That's pure speculation on the numbers for Mason as he's not signed yet, but you're probably in the ballpark.
The Steelers absolutely need a QB. It's not the only position they need, but they do not have their franchise QB on their roster currently.
Being drafted in round 1 doesn't anoint you anything.
And if Pickett were truly QB1, he would have instantly and automatically gained his starting role back once he was fully healed from his injury, and he would have been the starter for the playoff game without question or hesitancy.
But instead, Tomlin stayed with the "hot hand".
They've also indicated there will be a competition for QB this off-season.
This means the Steelers have a bunch of ....... wait for it......... journeyman QBs by your dictionary.com definition, and no true QB1.
I said nothing about drafting a QB in round 1 or round 2 this year. We shouldn't have done it the year we picked Kenny.
In no way should we part with a first rounder for Fields like we did for Minkah. I'm NOT saying that.
And depending on how the draft shakes out, maybe we would have better options for use of our 2nd round pick.
But taking a flier on a guy who's younger than Kenny, has been in the league one more year, has better arm strength and is more mobile, and has been trapped in the dumpster fire that is the Bears organization - I'm curious.

No. No more reclaiming missions. I'm actually in favor of not getting our "future QB" this year. Let's stack the lines, and get another receiver. Qb next year.

100% with yaz on this.

If they do get Mason to come back, He or Kenny will be our #1 & #2. We don’t need some “journeyman” QB that’s going to cost (Russell Wilson would be a joke).

We are looking at a 1 season test run of Kenny. Mason will be treated secondary as usual but could save the day in the end.

Invest HEAVILY in trench warfare workers. Next year it will be clear as to QB situation.

Salute the nation

From Dictionary.com

jour·ney·man
/ˈjərnēmən/
noun

1. 1.

I think Mason will require 7-9 million to retain prior to reaching open market. Once open market occurs, anything is possible.

Salute the nation

No. No more reclaiming missions. I'm actually in favor of not getting our "future QB" this year. Let's stack the lines, and get another receiver. Qb next year.
If Tomlin is here for 1 more year on a lame duck contract then wait for sure and let the new guy pick his own horse and let Tomlin ride off with KP next year

If Tomlin extended think ya gotta look at adequate QB options in this year’s draft and see if value falls to us somewhere on day 1 or 2

I think Mason will require 7-9 million to retain prior to reaching open market. Once open market occurs, anything is possible.

Salute the nation
For some reason I think Mason tests FA and comes crawling back yet again for a deal lower than Mitch’s and then put T-biscuit out to pasture

hey, it’s worked so well for the Browns, why not continue to draft 1st round QB’s every year or two.

The Steelers don’t draft a 1st rounder then bail on them in the first few years. Look back, when did they move on before the rookie deal was expiring?
Just cuz the Steelers are reluctant to move on from failed first rounders doesn’t make it sound strategy worth repeating (see Bush, Jarvis, etc)

And just cuz the Stains suck at drafting QBs has no bearing on what the Steelers do

You either have a QB or need one

We ARE in the latter category imo

Keep swinging, doesn’t have to be a first rounder…they’ll be guys in 2-4 better than KP fresh outta the box

For some reason I think Mason tests FA and comes crawling back yet again for a deal lower than Mitch’s and then put T-biscuit out to pasture

I was talking prior to free agency, if he moves far enough to test the market..... I think he is gone. It ONLY takes one desperate team to throw 10Mil + and there are several desperate teams out there.

I hear yaz and could very well see either scenario play out.

Salute the nation

I've looked at Fields stats. They look the same as pickett's. Why is he better. Cause his team is ******. Really any shittier at least on offense?
No, because Fields averages about 700 yards rushing/year, Pickett averages about 70.

No, because Fields averages about 700 yards rushing/year, Pickett averages about 70.
Is he Action Jackson light or can he ever develop into a pure pocket passer? I am leaning to the light mindframe which is why I prefer not to even waste the time....

I've looked at Fields stats. They look the same as pickett's. Why is he better. Cause his team is ******. Really any shittier at least on offense?
I know my take is not very popular, and something our conservative Steeler organization wouldn't normally do.....but my point is, we are going to waste a gerational and game changing talent in TJ Watt if we don't have a signal caller that can put us in the same sentence as being a legit contender for a Super Bowl, over the next 2-3 seasons.
Russell.....in my opinion, would make us relevant in that regard for the next few years before TJ's game and productivity declines, and he can be had for a relative steal right now, so to speak..

BTW here is Wilson stat line last season.
Not very Pickett like IMO..

Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage
YDS
Passing yards
TD
Passing touchdowns
INT
Interceptions thrown
Rating
Passer rating
Broncos66.4

Just in case Omar wants to know my thoughts on the QB options:

No, I'm not trading a 2nd round pick for Justin Fields. If the Bears take Williams (or Maye) then they won't keep Fields and that asking price will have to drop if they want to trade him. I dounbt they keep him as a backup and let him walk the following year so they will be in the "get whatever you can get" mode. A 2nd seems really high at that point. Maybe a 4th round pick becomes interesting.

No to Russell Wilson. He's too expensive and he's on the decline of his career. No disrespect, he's had a great run but he's going to be 36 when the season starts and that's a bandaid fix, at best. No need to tie up that much money in what would become a short-term rental.

No to ever seeing Mitch Trubisky in a Steelers uniform ever again. He never showed me anything to merit a locker next season.

If Omar follows those 3 suggestions, then I probably won't complain too much about anything else they do at the QB position.

This team has holes and that 2nd round pick is needed to fill one of those holes.

That's pure speculation on the numbers for Mason as he's not signed yet, but you're probably in the ballpark.
The Steelers absolutely need a QB. It's not the only position they need, but they do not have their franchise QB on their roster currently.
Being drafted in round 1 doesn't anoint you anything.

And if Pickett were truly QB1, he would have instantly and automatically gained his starting role back once he was fully healed from his injury, and he would have been the starter for the playoff game without question or hesitancy.
But instead, Tomlin stayed with the "hot hand".
They've also indicated there will be a competition for QB this off-season.
This means the Steelers have a bunch of ....... wait for it......... journeyman QBs by your dictionary.com definition, and no true QB1.
I said nothing about drafting a QB in round 1 or round 2 this year. We shouldn't have done it the year we picked Kenny.
In no way should we part with a first rounder for Fields like we did for Minkah. I'm NOT saying that.
And depending on how the draft shakes out, maybe we would have better options for use of our 2nd round pick.
But taking a flier on a guy who's younger than Kenny, has been in the league one more year, has better arm strength and is more mobile, and has been trapped in the dumpster fire that is the Bears organization - I'm curious.
You, me, and many people outside of the locker room all agree that KP isn't a QB1 right now. BUT...The Steelers believe he is QB1 based on the comments from Rooney, Miller, and Tomlin. They may say there will be a QB competition...but haven't we heard that line before?

You did suggest trading for hurts and giving up the #2 pick...which is the same as drafting a QB with the second pick is it not? :cool:

I think mitch dead money hit if cut is 6M. Think I read that somewhere. If true I doubt they want to swallow that. Mitch will be around.

Two Hall of Fame coaches, Pete Carrol and Sean Payton decided to move on from Russ. Something has been off with him for years.

Arthur Smith's offense does not require a top QB. It's similar to the Shanahan offense. The 49ers and Texans are both running that scheme. Purdy is a solid game manage but not a great QB. Stroud is looking like a game changer so you can already see how Houston's offense, with a crap OL, is explosive.

The 49ers made a SB with Garopalo, but they wanted to go next level with dynamic plays so they drafted Trey Lance. It didn't work out. We'll see how Purdy does in the SB.

The Steelers went for years being a good team. They won lots of games with O'Donnell, Kordell, Tommy Maddox, but they couldn't win it all until they got Ben. Without that Plus QB, you really do need everything to break your way to win it all.

Kenny, Mason, and Trubisky are all capable of running Smith's offense. It fits their skillset. The question is, do the steelers want to play it safe with what they have, or roll the dice to go for that Plus QB.

Fields has struggled but the Bears offense has been a dumpster fire. It was so bad, they traded for Claypool in desperation. Last year they brought in DJ Moore and the was the first real weapon Fields had to work with. He did show improvement.

I doubt the steelers would make such a move but it's not crazy. If they think Kenny's ceiling is a mid level game manager, then they have to make a move. Roll the dice with a draft pick or give Fields a shot. I prefer swinging and missing rather than this playing not to lose rut they've been in.
Purdy has a great supporting cast but the game manager tag is ridiculous. Guy threw 31 TD and broke the single season yardage record for the 49 ers in his first full year starting. More yards than Montana and Young, Those guys had Jerry Rice. The level of disrespect everyone has for Purdy reminds me of how Ben never got the credit for being as good as he was. Purdy reminds me alot of ben in the fact that its not always gonna look pretty but the kid just wins.
He showed that Big Ben magic in the second half of the NFC championship game, especially the clutch final drive against the Lions. Not many guys have the clutch gene, even the greats, Manning, Lamar, Allen etc.
On paper those 3 are the best in the game, but I'll take a guy like Ben or Eli or Brock any day in the crucial moment with all the pressure on.
They just win.

Justin Fields has not had weapons in Chicago, he would be an upgrade over Kenny, but he isn't the long term answer. We need another stud QB with the clutch gene, not a running QB who is an average at best passer. Even if he is a great runner, they always get injured and it never works out.
Rather take a shot on an unknown college QB than a retread like Fields, Wilson or Cousins.

I know my take is not very popular, and something our conservative Steeler organization wouldn't normally do.....but my point is, we are going to waste a gerational and game changing talent in TJ Watt if we don't have a signal caller that can put us in the same sentence as being a legit contender for a Super Bowl, over the next 2-3 seasons.
Russell.....in my opinion, would make us relevant in that regard for the next few years before TJ's game and productivity declines, and he can be had for a relative steal right now, so to speak..

Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage
YDS
Passing yards
TD
Passing touchdowns
INT
Interceptions thrown
Rating
Passer rating
Broncos66.4
Wilson had his best year recently last year, but that doesn't really mean anything. He was traded away for Geno and benched for a no body last year. There are obviously some issues there. Why would you even consider handcuffing the team with salary or draft picks for a QB who is declining and no team seems to want? He will not save the Steelers. Watt plays defense which got demolished in most of our losses. Niners scored at will, the Texans scored at will, Arizona ran over us, and Buffalo did whatever it wanted in the playoff game. We have way too many holes to attempt to bring in an overpriced declining vet QB. If we draft smart, fill a few holes w/o breaking the bank in FA we will be much better off than bringing in one player

Wilson had his best year recently last year, but that doesn't really mean anything. He was traded away for Geno and benched for a no body last year. There are obviously some issues there. Why would you even consider handcuffing the team with salary or draft picks for a QB who is declining and no team seems to want? He will not save the Steelers. Watt plays defense which got demolished in most of our losses. Niners scored at will, the Texans scored at will, Arizona ran over us, and Buffalo did whatever it wanted in the playoff game. We have way too many holes to attempt to bring in an overpriced declining vet QB. If we draft smart, fill a few holes w/o breaking the bank in FA we will be much better off than bringing in one player
So your basically saying....we might get back to contender status in 3-5 years? If were lucky..
If so..I'm not willing to wait that long for possibly ....NADA.

I think the guy still has what it takes to run and lead a high powered offense with a very competent passing game...

Russells stats the last 5 years with Seattle.
I certainly wouldn't call last year his best recently...although statistically, I would love to see a Steeler QB with his last years numbers.

Seahawks64.8
Seahawks68.8
Seahawks66.1
Seahawks65.6
Seahawks61.3

Is he Action Jackson light or can he ever develop into a pure pocket passer? I am leaning to the light mindframe which is why I prefer not to even waste the time....
I’m not saying he’s either, just pointing out why he is likely more valued than KP.

You, me, and many people outside of the locker room all agree that KP isn't a QB1 right now. BUT...The Steelers believe he is QB1 based on the comments from Rooney, Miller, and Tomlin. They may say there will be a QB competition...but haven't we heard that line before?

You did suggest trading for hurts and giving up the #2 pick...which is the same as drafting a QB with the second pick is it not? :cool:
For Hurts, I'd give up a first in a heartbeat.
For Fields, just a 2....maybe.
You say tomato............ lol

Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage
YDS
Passing yards
TD
Passing touchdowns
INT
Interceptions thrown
Rating
Passer rating
Broncos66.4
This is exactly why I brought up Cousins in another thread, we're wasting guys like TJ, Minkah, and Cam by pissing around giving Pickett every excuse in the world.

100% with yaz on this.

If they do get Mason to come back, He or Kenny will be our #1 & #2. We don’t need some “journeyman” QB that’s going to cost (Russell Wilson would be a joke).

We are looking at a 1 season test run of Kenny. Mason will be treated secondary as usual but could save the day in the end.

Invest HEAVILY in trench warfare workers. Next year it will be clear as to QB situation.

Salute the nation
I agree with this 100% that filling up the lines and possibly a WR would be ideal but here's what I see as the problem with this tactic. With the skill players that we do have and a couple of decent to possibly above average quarterbacks the Steelers will win 10 or 11 games again and not be in the drafting process for any of the top 3 or 4 quarterbacks whoever they may be. You still have to do it this way, imo, but the drawback is the team will win games.

100% with yaz on this.

Salute the nation

I think its pretty clear what our QB situation is. Hell, every NFL fan knows just how bad our situation is, outside a few Pitt grads.

Here is my issue:
  • This is not the 80s/90s. A great o-line doesn't mean s**t if you don't have *at least* a solid QB.
  • What is the point in waiting until next year to improve the MOST IMPORTANT position?

Just in case Omar wants to know my thoughts on the QB options:

No, I'm not trading a 2nd round pick for Justin Fields. If the Bears take Williams (or Maye) then they won't keep Fields and that asking price will have to drop if they want to trade him. I dounbt they keep him as a backup and let him walk the following year so they will be in the "get whatever you can get" mode. A 2nd seems really high at that point. Maybe a 4th round pick becomes interesting.

No to Russell Wilson. He's too expensive and he's on the decline of his career. No disrespect, he's had a great run but he's going to be 36 when the season starts and that's a bandaid fix, at best. No need to tie up that much money in what would become a short-term rental.

No to ever seeing Mitch Trubisky in a Steelers uniform ever again. He never showed me anything to merit a locker next season.

If Omar follows those 3 suggestions, then I probably won't complain too much about anything else they do at the QB position.

This team has holes and that 2nd round pick is needed to fill one of those holes.

This teams biggest hole is at the QB position, and your suggestions do little to resolve that problem lol.

Last edited: