• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

JUSTIN FIELDS

This is exactly why I brought up Cousins in another thread, we're wasting guys like TJ, Minkah, and Cam by pissing around giving Pickett every excuse in the world.
Canada was not an excuse it was pretty much 100% consensus from everywhere that his offense stunk. No QBs including Ben played well in it. We could not win win Ben, Brown, and Bell and some think a QB will be the answer to this team? I don't get that mindset. We need to solidify the lines and get a competent offensive and defensive gameplan before anything. Just look at the history of highpriced older vet QBs being traded. Most of the time it does not work out and severely handicaps the new team for the future.

Wilson had his best year recently last year, but that doesn't really mean anything. He was traded away for Geno and benched for a no body last year. There are obviously some issues there. Why would you even consider handcuffing the team with salary or draft picks for a QB who is declining and no team seems to want? He will not save the Steelers. Watt plays defense which got demolished in most of our losses. Niners scored at will, the Texans scored at will, Arizona ran over us, and Buffalo did whatever it wanted in the playoff game. We have way too many holes to attempt to bring in an overpriced declining vet QB. If we draft smart, fill a few holes w/o breaking the bank in FA we will be much better off than bringing in one player
I watched Wilsons final game for Denver, I couldn't believe how good he looked. That guy absolutely makes the Steelers better if he plays like that. Problem is, Wilson is older and doesn't consistently play at that high level. You are 100% correct on our problems being Just as much the defense. The Steelers defense is TJ Watt, and yes they are wasting the career of the best LB in the league. Wasting generational talent has become the Steeler way, they wasted a prime Ben, Bell and Antonio Brown.

I watched Wilsons final game for Denver, I couldn't believe how good he looked. That guy absolutely makes the Steelers better if he plays like that. Problem is, Wilson is older and doesn't consistently play at that high level. You are 100% correct on our problems being Just as much the defense. The Steelers defense is TJ Watt, and yes they are wasting the career of the best LB in the league. Wasting generational talent has become the Steeler way, they wasted a prime Ben, Bell and Antonio Brown.
NOT the Steeler Way.
The Tomlin Way.
The Deuce Way.

Canada was not an excuse it was pretty much 100% consensus from everywhere that his offense stunk. No QBs including Ben played well in it. We could not win win Ben, Brown, and Bell and some think a QB will be the answer to this team? I don't get that mindset. We need to solidify the lines and get a competent offensive and defensive gameplan before anything. Just look at the history of highpriced older vet QBs being traded. Most of the time it does not work out and severely handicaps the new team for the future.
Ben was 38 and couldn't move. Tomlin isn't going anywhere so a competent offensive and defensive gameplan isn't happening anytime soon, so the next best thing is hoping a QB finds the open WR's and hits them.

This is exactly why I brought up Cousins in another thread, we're wasting guys like TJ, Minkah, and Cam by pissing around giving Pickett every excuse in the world.
Unfortunately We didn’t win anything with Cam,TJ and Minkah with Ben either. With a much better supporting cast. Though Minkah played 3 seasons with Ben.

while Cousins has had good statistical years ,he’s never gotten over the playoff hump. At 36 years old next season and no doubt getting likely 40 mill a year,major surgery last season.I just don’t see it. There’s got to be a better way.

Yep but they refuse to take that route.
Yep……I don’t profess to know all the answers. The QB question this season is a tough one. It could very well end up another average season with us right back to square one at the end of it. With no definitive answers. Which,to be honest with you,is what I expect to happen. With the usual excuses to follow.

Just cuz the Steelers are reluctant to move on from failed first rounders doesn’t make it sound strategy worth repeating (see Bush, Jarvis, etc)
I am not saying that it is a “sound” strategy, just that it is the way they operate. In this cases, I agree with them, you get 5 years for a reason. At this point I truly consider KP still a rookie, since he was saddled with Tomlin/Canada. I would Draft 24 (year 3) as if KP was your guy going forward, and get those foundational players now. IF progress is shown in 24, then draft again in 25 as if he is the guy (year 4) and get more foundation and supporting players. This then makes 26 the year to go QB early if needed. The difference is that then you have built the foundation to grow on.
And just cuz the Stains suck at drafting QBs has no bearing on what the Steelers do.
This is true, but what QB draft history, do the Steelers show being better at? They don’t, the difference is they don’t give up right away.
You either have a QB or need one
You always WANT a QB, but sometimes you NEED something else.
We ARE in the latter category imo
Looking to improve a position through the draft is the right way to go, I agree. But we disagree on the priorities of positions overall.
Keep swinging, doesn’t have to be a first rounder…they’ll be guys in 2-4 better than KP fresh outta the box
This is pure speculation at this point. Not saying you are going to be proven wrong, just that it is speculation.

I know my take is not very popular, and something our conservative Steeler organization wouldn't normally do.....but my point is, we are going to waste a gerational and game changing talent in TJ Watt if we don't have a signal caller that can put us in the same sentence as being a legit contender for a Super Bowl, over the next 2-3 seasons.
Russell.....in my opinion, would make us relevant in that regard for the next few years before TJ's game and productivity declines, and he can be had for a relative steal right now, so to speak..

BTW here is Wilson stat line last season.
Not very Pickett like IMO..

Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage
YDS
Passing yards
TD
Passing touchdowns
INT
Interceptions thrown
Rating
Passer rating
Broncos66.4
I would agree with you IF they were just a QB away from contending, THEY ARE NOT. if “foundation” players are drafted in 24 & 25 , then maybe they would be in 25, and most definitely would be in 26.

I am not saying that it is a “sound” strategy, just that it is the way they operate. In this cases, I agree with them, you get 5 years for a reason. At this point I truly consider KP still a rookie, since he was saddled with Tomlin/Canada. I would Draft 24 (year 3) as if KP was your guy going forward, and get those foundational players now. IF progress is shown in 24, then draft again in 25 as if he is the guy (year 4) and get more foundation and supporting players. This then makes 26 the year to go QB early if needed. The difference is that then you have built the foundation to grow on.

This is true, but what QB draft history, do the Steelers show being better at? They don’t, the difference is they don’t give up right away.

You always WANT a QB, but sometimes you NEED something else.

Looking to improve a position through the draft is the right way to go, I agree. But we disagree on the priorities of positions overall.

This is pure speculation at this point. Not saying you are going to be proven wrong, just that it is speculation.

I am sorry, but is there any greater need than competent QB play?

Sure, we need a real Center and another OT- but Creed Humphrey alone ain't going to make this team competitive against the Ravens, or the Burrow-led Bengals.

And waiting until next year to address the issue does absolutely nothing but delay the process, with a much worse QB class/FA mind you.

I would agree with you IF they were just a QB away from contending, THEY ARE NOT. if “foundation” players are drafted in 24 & 25 , then maybe they would be in 25, and most definitely would be in 26.

What I do know is that:

We were able to make the playoffs with some of the worst QB play in the league. Who knows just how far we could've went with simply average QB productivity.

I think its pretty clear what our QB situation is. Hell, every NFL fan knows just how bad our situation is, outside a few Pitt grads.

Here is my issue:
  • This is not the 80s/90s. A great o-line doesn't mean s**t if you don't have *at least* a solid QB.
  • What is the point in waiting until next year to improve the MOST IMPORTANT position?

I'm saying what MORE than likely the STEELERS will be doing. They are committed to their # 1 draft pick KP8. So as I stated, next season will be Kenny's test season. Mason isn't signed yet, but if he does return.... Je will be your #2 until Kenny fails / injury. If Mason does not return, then a FA QB will be signed to take ove #2 duty.

Hell if by some chance, the new OC says Mitch can handle the #2, they may not even let him go.

Salute the nation

What I do know is that:

We were able to make the playoffs with some of the worst QB play in the league. Who knows just how far we could've went with simply average QB productivity.

Mason's 3 game season run netted him 112 or above QBR, something that hadn't happened since a very young BEN. Just saying

Salute the nation

Yep……I don’t profess to know all the answers. The QB question this season is a tough one. It could very well end up another average season with us right back to square one at the end of it. With no definitive answers. Which,to be honest with you,is what I expect to happen. With the usual excuses to follow.

Until the HC is changed, I doubt we will see different results.

Salute the nation

Problem is also he is a declining talent that also has a reputation for being a diva/douche bag

Really don’t need to stockpile those at the expense of draft capital

If we’re worried about wasting TJs career trade him away, doing him a solid and do a complete reset…and trading TJ is not really an option (just figured we were dipping our toes in the ridiculous pool-like bring in Russ)

Yes --we need more talent...so does every team.
Im looking for a Veteran QB that has the skill set, experience, and ability to take us to a division title and deep into the playoffs...
NEXT YEAR!

Wilson's current employment situation intrigues me and I think we can swing a favorable deal for him.
Bottom line and added benefit, is that we would reduce or almost even up the QB talent level gap in our division, that currently we are way under water at...

Problem is also he is a declining talent that also has a reputation for being a diva/douche bag

If we’re worried about wasting TJs career trade him away, doing him a solid and do a complete reset…and trading TJ is not really an option (just figured we were dipping our toes in the ridiculous pool-like bring in Russ)
Trading TJ is probably a good idea if we don't get him a capable QB.

Mason's 3 game season run netted him 112 or above QBR, something that hadn't happened since a very young BEN. Just saying

Salute the nation
Pickett was doing much better numbers without Canada and he also beat the Ravens starters. We put up more yards with Pickett against the Begals than we did with Mason. Pickett had not thrown an INT in forever and had some of the best 4th Q stats in the league with Canada. Pickett also faced much more pressure than Mason and Najee was going nowhere in most games. Both najee and Pickett were getting hit almost immediately several times a game. I am not a Pickett homer, but blaming Pickett for everything and then crowning Mason a savior after 3 games is ridiculous. The Bengals defense is a joke, the ravens rested their best players, and Seattle had very little pressure on the QB. When Mason played with the "Pickett" gameplan in Buffalo he looked the same as anyone else. Better line, better system Pickett will be at least serviceable then they can decide

Pickett was doing much better numbers without Canada and he also beat the Ravens starters. We put up more yards with Pickett against the Begals than we did with Mason. Pickett had not thrown an INT in forever and had some of the best 4th Q stats in the league with Canada. Pickett also faced much more pressure than Mason and Najee was going nowhere in most games. Both najee and Pickett were getting hit almost immediately several times a game. I am not a Pickett homer, but blaming Pickett for everything and then crowning Mason a savior after 3 games is ridiculous. The Bengals defense is a joke, the ravens rested their best players, and Seattle had very little pressure on the QB. When Mason played with the "Pickett" gameplan in Buffalo he looked the same as anyone else. Better line, better system Pickett will be at least serviceable then they can decide

1. More yards and way less points.
  2. You don't get credit for 4th quarter heroics when you are awful/ineffective for 75% of the game.

I agree that Mason will probably turn back into a pumpkin, but KP hasn't even looked remotely as good at any point of his career.

Yes --we need more talent...so does every team.
Im looking for a Veteran QB that has the skill set, experience, and ability to take us to a division title and deep into the playoffs...
NEXT YEAR!

Wilson's current employment situation intrigues me and I think we can swing a favorable deal for him.
Bottom line and added benefit, is that we would reduce or almost even up the QB talent level gap in our division, that currently we are way under water at...
We had that QBthis yeàr.
The steeler defènse got ran through like it was the red light district. Much like every other playoff game in recent memory.

I couldnt believe how good he looked because i always thought he was overràted. Which he was. If they sign wilson i'm burning my steeler gear.

Dude, I was referencing the quote of Bigappleyinzer about some of the worse QB-ing in the league. Rudolf was not among some of the worse QB-ing in the league.

I’m neither pro or con on either of those QBs.

Relax, have a Homebrew………….

Roethlisberger with his post-surgery arm and no knees who could barely move looked like an All-Pro compared to Pickett. Imagine if we had a QB this year who threw for 22 TDs and 10 INTs. We got 13 TDs and 9 INTs from our QBs. That is the difference in the Browns and Patriots game. Possibly for the Jaguars or Cardinals. At the very least, they have a chance at the AFCN and at worst finish 5th and get to play Houston in the first round.