• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

JUSTIN FIELDS

I think mitch dead money hit if cut is 6M. Think I read that somewhere. If true I doubt they want to swallow that. Mitch will be around.
Mitch's 2024 cap hit is $7.56 million; his dead cap is $4.61 million. In essence, it will cost the Steelers less than 3,000,000 to keep him. Which would have ranked #17 among backup QB salaries last year, just ahead of Cooper Rush, Tyler Huntley, and CJ Beathard.

So it looks like you're right, Trubisky will probably still be a Steeler this season.

This is true, but what QB draft history, do the Steelers show being better at? They don’t, the difference is they don’t give up right away.

Yep between Bradshaw and Ben we employed quite a few mediocre QB's. But I think acquiring quality QB's is a struggle for most teams. Finding that QB has got to be the toughest job for a GM.

Elway is still looking for someone to replace Elway.

But like you said, the difference between the Stains and everyone else, including the Steelers... is that everyone else does not give up on the guy right away. The Stains seem to change QB 's more often than they change their stained underwear.

There are exceptions of course Rodgers replacing Farve...Young replacing Montana.

What I do know is that:

We were able to make the playoffs with some of the worst QB play in the league. Who knows just how far we could've went with simply average QB productivity.
With a Defense that gives up 200 points on average in their last 4 play off games? And you think they are a QB away? Give me a break.

Reactions: GMC
Yes --we need more talent...so does every team.
Im looking for a Veteran QB that has the skill set, experience, and ability to take us to a division title and deep into the playoffs...
NEXT YEAR!

Wilson's current employment situation intrigues me and I think we can swing a favorable deal for him.
Bottom line and added benefit, is that we would reduce or almost even up the QB talent level gap in our division, that currently we are way under water at...
Again, they are not a QB away from contending for the Super Bowl.

let me ask you this. Would you rather build a potential dynasty team, or take a longshot chance on an over the hill, past his prime player, who at best gives you a 1 maybe 2 year window. Then be right back to where you were before, except the cap situation will be even worse?

We differ in our thought process, I get it.

What I do know is that:

We were able to make the playoffs with some of the worst QB play in the league. Who knows just how far we could've went with simply average QB productivity.
You mean like all the consecutive years of playoff wins with that simply average QB Ben Roetlisberger, and all world HC Mike Tomlin?

I am not saying that it is a “sound” strategy, just that it is the way they operate. In this cases, I agree with them, you get 5 years for a reason. At this point I truly consider KP still a rookie, since he was saddled with Tomlin/Canada. I would Draft 24 (year 3) as if KP was your guy going forward, and get those foundational players now. IF progress is shown in 24, then draft again in 25 as if he is the guy (year 4) and get more foundation and supporting players. This then makes 26 the year to go QB early if needed. The difference is that then you have built the foundation to grow on.

This is true, but what QB draft history, do the Steelers show being better at? They don’t, the difference is they don’t give up right away.

You always WANT a QB, but sometimes you NEED something else.

Looking to improve a position through the draft is the right way to go, I agree. But we disagree on the priorities of positions overall.

This is pure speculation at this point. Not saying you are going to be proven wrong, just that it is speculation.
So your arguments are-it is not sound strategy…but you agree with the unsound strategy they employ anyway🤦🏻‍♂️ and you consider a player entering third year a “rookie”🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂

Consider him whatever excuse you want, he WILL be a third year player NOT a “rookie”

Yes you always “want” a QB, we unfortunately “need” one as well, and while we may need other positions as well the need for the most important position outweighs other lesser positions unless mediocrity as a ceiling is the goal

Speculation for some, but I guarantee a guy will emerge from round 2-4 area that is better than KP and proves such by having a better career than KP. I’d be willing to put some pretty good cash on that assertion. It is simply the Steelers job to find said player/s

And comparing our draft history of QBs vs the Stains is just plain ludicrous, If you don’t know why there’s really nothing more to say as it is quite OBVIOUS

Franchise QB’s are rare. All team’s experience it. I don’t think Wilson would fix the current Steelers. The only positive I can see is maybe his faith helps the locker room attitude.

Maybe the Steelers need some of those Kelly Clarkson gummies spamming these boards

Justin Feilds started = 40 games

Interceptions=======30

fumbles===========38

All per DK sports

My Take
Our coaching staff (Tomlin) detests turn overs, I highly doubt Fields will wear the B & G.

Salute the nation

I laugh when I read **** like the Bears are looking for a 1st for Justin Fields. Really. You are a ****** team and you want to dump his ****** ***. And you think someone is gonna give a first. Why wouldn't I just spend the first on a guy I don't already know sucks.

Manny here try that SAME **** when talking about trading one of our players…………

Salute the nation

Again, they are not a QB away from contending for the Super Bowl.

let me ask you this. Would you rather build a potential dynasty team, or take a longshot chance on an over the hill, past his prime player, who at best gives you a 1 maybe 2 year window. Then be right back to where you were before, except the cap situation will be even worse?

We differ in our thought process, I get it.
While I agree with you that Russell may be long in the tooth, I vehemently disagree with just about everything else you mention.

Let's take a look at the last several dynasties
  • Patriots
  • Chiefs
What do they have in common?

Being a "QB away" shouldn't drive your decision making. The question is, do you have a franchise QB who can compete with the big boys? If the answer is no (which it assuredly is at this point), you do everything to keep looking for one. Everything else literally is secondary.

Mitch's 2024 cap hit is $7.56 million; his dead cap is $4.61 million. In essence, it will cost the Steelers less than 3,000,000 to keep him. Which would have ranked #17 among backup QB salaries last year, just ahead of Cooper Rush, Tyler Huntley, and CJ Beathard.

So it looks like you're right, Trubisky will probably still be a Steeler this season.

I hear yaz, but also think Trubiski's presence is dependent on Rudolf being retained or not.

Salute the nation

Dude, I was referencing the quote of Bigappleyinzer about some of the worse QB-ing in the league. Rudolf was not among some of the worse QB-ing in the league.

I’m neither pro or con on either of those QBs.

Relax, have a Homebrew………….

I was talking holistically, not just the last 3 games.

Our QB Room ranked 22th in QB Rating and 27th in QBR.

And the teams below us are either i.) Starting a true rookie QB, or ii.) Currently in the market for a new QB.

Justin Feilds started = 40 games

Interceptions=======30

fumbles===========38

All per DK sports

My Take
Our coaching staff (Tomlin) detests turn overs, I highly doubt Fields will wear the B & G.

Salute the nation
I heard DK say that this morning as I was sipping my first wonderful draw of oily caffeine and I stopped mid sip, rewound 10 seconds and listened to it again to make sure I heard him correctly. That is some cosmos level of suck right there.

What I do know is that:

You should know that. It's already been tested.
At worst Rudolph is an average QB.

Him winning the last 3, then losing in the playoffs pretty much tells the story.
We've got a lot of other concerns besides QB.

With a Defense that gives up 200 points on average in their last 4 play off games? And you think they are a QB away? Give me a break.
Not only that, but we played **** teams down the stretch, Cincy back up QB and like the 31st ranked defense, Seattle and the 30th ranked defense, and Baltimore's JV team.

It's just so stupid to bring a player THAT horrid back, only the Steelers....

Him winning the last 3, then losing in the playoffs pretty much tells the story.
We've got a lot of other concerns besides QB.
Our highest-paid defense is 21st ranked. That unit is hardly rock solid even though Tomlin pays it to be; Shades formula is a LOSING structure, period.

And the teams below us are either i.) Starting a true rookie QB, or ii.) Currently in the market for a new QB.
And when we trott out Kenny as our stater nothing will change in 2024. Our qbr will still be among the worst in the NFL.

No we do not have a franchise QB. Those are very difficult to come by as we all know.
When we drafted Ben we were slotted at the eleven position due to a losing season in 2003.
We were still fortunate that stupid teams in the top ten namely Cleveland passed on him but we had to have a losing season to have a shot. That’s how this **** works, right?
By having non losing seasons sometimes backing into the playoffs only has you drafting in the middle like 20 or later. Non losing seasons are totally worthless but the owner doesn’t get that.
Now you have Kenny and you’re stuck with that decision.
If it were me my emphasis would be bolster the OL in this draft and FA.
Draft the Mimms the tackle from Georgia and if you have to trade up in the second round for late first however you do that draft Jackson Powers the center from Oregon.
That OL is solidified with maulers that will really make your running game premier and dominant and with Arthur’s use of play action Kenny plays a lot under center using that play action.
I can see Kenny vastly improving and no I’m not saying he’s going to be Ben but he doesn’t have to be. Everything should open up for the receivers and TEs and now with the team interviewing passing coordinators that can really help Kenny.
He has to be set up for success not failure like he has been.

No we do not have a franchise QB. Those are very difficult to come by as we all know.
When we drafted Ben we were slotted at the eleven position due to a losing season in 2003.
We were still fortunate that stupid teams in the top ten namely Cleveland passed on him but we had to have a losing season to have a shot. That’s how this **** works, right?
By having non losing seasons sometimes backing into the playoffs only has you drafting in the middle like 20 or later. Non losing seasons are totally worthless but the owner doesn’t get that.
Now you have Kenny and you’re stuck with that decision.
If it were me my emphasis would be bolster the OL in this draft and FA.
Draft the Mimms the tackle from Georgia and if you have to trade up in the second round for late first however you do that draft Jackson Powers the center from Oregon.
That OL is solidified with maulers that will really make your running game premier and dominant and with Arthur’s use of play action Kenny plays a lot under center using that play action.
I can see Kenny vastly improving and no I’m not saying he’s going to be Ben but he doesn’t have to be. Everything should open up for the receivers and TEs and now with the team interviewing passing coordinators that can really help Kenny.
He has to be set up for success not failure like he has been.
This makes more sense to me than bringing in a stop-gap, past their prime QB like Wilson or a turnover machine like Fields. Do you think a late pick like guy like Purdy would be in the super bowl without all the supporting talent around him? Likewise, do you believe that with a different QB and no other changes this team will excel?
The Steelers aren't a bad team, but they are a mediocre one, and a single player isn't going to change that.

$3 million is a lot for a 3rd string QB. Saving $3 million is better than saving nothing. Unless Mason leaves and the Steelers decide to go with Mitch again as the backup, I doubt he stays.

$3 million is a lot for a 3rd string QB. Saving $3 million is better than saving nothing. Unless Mason leaves and the Steelers decide to go with Mitch again as the backup, I doubt he stays.
You really have to wonder about a team willing to pay such a horrid backup QB so much. You just have to question their judgment - questionable at best.

You really have to wonder about a team willing to pay such a horrid backup QB so much. You just have to question their judgment - questionable at best.
I think they thought they were paying a potential starter capable of playing better than he played on 2022, not a backup who would play worse.

Manny here try that SAME **** when talking about trading one of our players…………

Salute the nation
Agreed completely. Cash for trash. Last time I had that belief.....Kordell Stewart. I was sure he was worth a 1. In hindsight they crushed that deal getting what they got. 2nd? We gotta trade our trash to 🐻 s we kill on that see Claypool not the theirs.

All the chatter has the Bears taking Caleb Momma's Boy #1 overall, thus making Justin Fields expendable.
The chatter has a 2nd round pick as the minimum ask in trade.
He's on the final year of his contract, or his 5th year can be picked up for about 25 million.
He is a year younger than Kenny, and is unequivocally more athletic, both with feet and arm strength.
He showed much improvement this last year, too.

If I'm the Steelers, I'm at least contemplating this.
If we can have him for a 2nd rounder, that has me seriously considering pulling the trigger.
I mean, hell, throw in Trubisky. They need a veteran QB since they only have Bagent and Peterman.
Let him come full circle with his QB career and wash our hands of him.

Minimal risk for a potential HUGE reward for us.
If I'm the Bears I'm keeping Fields and drafting Marvin Harrison Jr., but they're the Bears.

What say you?
Any interest in Fields for a 2nd?
I'm not saying 'no' outright, because I do agree w/ your assessment of Fields at a high-level.

What scares/concerns me is 'another QB from Chicago' on the roster...Tribby gave us a false sense of hope - will Justin do the same???

I'll wait for @SteelBuckeye to give his blessing on this decision...